Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.



 
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:23 am
voldemort_fan  Female.gif voldemort_fan is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4643 days
Posts: 11
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only evidence that I could really come up with for Mcgonnagall being evil is that Harry always seems to be a bit safer with Snape. Oh, and she looked angry when he walked out of the chamber alive. Back to the Snape point: Have you noticed that Minerva never really saves Harry from anything? It was Snape that saved Harry in PS. Snape that brings out the important points after the car incident. Snape that follows Harry after the shreiking shack incident. Snape may have been one of the teachers patrolling the maze and he goes back to vm that book too. Snape who is the last Order member left and Snape who doesn't seize his first real chance of fufilling his ambition of getting Harry expelled. The point is Minerva is always MIA. Or shows up too late. Maybe Slytherin would have been better for Harry because his head of house is either EVIL or too inept to keep an eye on him when it counts. Although she would make a fairly good headmistress if she isn't evil.
Thank you, you summed my view on McGonagall up perfectly. McGonagall has rarely done anything of use when Harry's life could potentially be saved. Evil or inept, you said it perfectly.

Also, did anyone else notice that Transfiguration is never used by the Trio when they're in a dangerous situation? Harry, Ron, and Hermione have used potions, charms, herbology, care of magical creatures, and Defense, and even Trelawney's prophecies, at least...but never Transfiguration, which is supposed to be a pretty important branch of magic, Dumbledore himself taught it. I suppose McGonagall thinks turning pins into needles and mice into gerbils or whatever could help them against Voldemort. She's had the opportunity to teach them some powerful stuff, and yet Transfiguration hasn't come up yet when the Trio has most needed it.

So if she's loyal, I just don't see her as a very good Transfiguration teacher. A good role model, sure, but she just hasn't actually done much that's been useful. McGonagall has had some great moments though, like when telling Peeves the chandelier unscrews the other way, and yelling at Umbridge, etc. I won't deny I laughed at those.


Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old December 15th, 2006, 4:48 pm
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5052 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort_fan View Post
Thank you, you summed my view on McGonagall up perfectly. McGonagall has rarely done anything of use when Harry's life could potentially be saved. Evil or inept, you said it perfectly.

Also, did anyone else notice that Transfiguration is never used by the Trio when they're in a dangerous situation? Harry, Ron, and Hermione have used potions, charms, herbology, care of magical creatures, and Defense, and even Trelawney's prophecies, at least...but never Transfiguration, which is supposed to be a pretty important branch of magic, Dumbledore himself taught it. I suppose McGonagall thinks turning pins into needles and mice into gerbils or whatever could help them against Voldemort. She's had the opportunity to teach them some powerful stuff, and yet Transfiguration hasn't come up yet when the Trio has most needed it.

So if she's loyal, I just don't see her as a very good Transfiguration teacher. A good role model, sure, but she just hasn't actually done much that's been useful. McGonagall has had some great moments though, like when telling Peeves the chandelier unscrews the other way, and yelling at Umbridge, etc. I won't deny I laughed at those.
Hogwarts teachers aren't supposed to act as babysitters who are caring for toddlers. I assume that at boarding school kids are supposed to be able to function independently. Harry certainly doesn't appreciate the way Professor Snape continually shows up to keep an eye on him, and it would be amazingly oppressive if another teacher hung around him all the time. Even Dumbledore doesn't hang around Harry all the time. I think it's Snape's job. McGonagall's job is to be a teacher and a deputy headmistress, and she does that job well.

Transfiguration seems to me to be very complicated and difficult, and students have to start small, turning matches into needles and such before trying to master the bigger stuff. Anyway, I don't see Transfiguration as a practical way to duel with enemies.


__________________
  #43  
Old December 15th, 2006, 6:18 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5101 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Lady View Post
Transfiguration seems to me to be very complicated and difficult, and students have to start small, turning matches into needles and such before trying to master the bigger stuff. Anyway, I don't see Transfiguration as a practical way to duel with enemies.
Dumbledore is another expert at Transfiguration, and we see him duel Voldemort. He does not seem to use Transfiguration then, which supports your position. (The spells he uses seem more DADA and/or Charms).


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #44  
Old December 15th, 2006, 6:31 pm
Idabomb333  Undisclosed.gif Idabomb333 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4930 days
Posts: 901
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
Dumbledore is another expert at Transfiguration, and we see him duel Voldemort. He does not seem to use Transfiguration then, which supports your position. (The spells he uses seem more DADA and/or Charms).
I think he did use transfiguration in that battle. For example, he turned the statues into his moving servants, which is transfiguration judging by the fact that it was McGonagall who made the chessboard trap in PS/SS. And there was the thing where he made the water surround Voldemort and turn into some kind of case, but that could conceivably be classified as charms. And Voldemort transfigured one of Dumbledore's attempts to hold Voldemort into a snake. Voldemort also conjured that shield apparently out of nowhere, which I think counts as transfiguration.

We're also told that Cedric transfigured a rock into a dog to take the dragon's attention off of Cedric in the first task. I think there are definitely ways that transfiguration could have been very useful to Harry.


__________________
Proud member of the Conan Brigade.

  #45  
Old December 15th, 2006, 6:49 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5101 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idabomb333 View Post
I think he did use transfiguration in that battle. For example, he turned the statues into his moving servants, which is transfiguration judging by the fact that it was McGonagall who made the chessboard trap in PS/SS.
I would say this charm (animating the statues) was a Charm. In OotP we see a couple of girls studying for their Charms practical by racing erasers around a table.

Quote:
And there was the thing where he made the water surround Voldemort and turn into some kind of case, but that could conceivably be classified as charms. And Voldemort transfigured one of Dumbledore's attempts to hold Voldemort into a snake. Voldemort also conjured that shield apparently out of nowhere, which I think counts as transfiguration.
Conjuring is not Transfiguration. In Transfiguration you start with one thing and turn it into another. So yes, Voldemort used it in that duel, when he created the snake.

Quote:
I think there are definitely ways that transfiguration could have been very useful to Harry.
Turning a rock into a dog is precisely the sort of thing Harry would be learning from McGonagall. He just had a far better way to solve the samne problem (his flyintg talent).

Harry has a natural gift for DADA, in my opinion. This is what he ought to stick to in duel situations, as this is very well suited to them, and Harry is very good at it. What he learns in McGonagall's class could be useful, but in other situations.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #46  
Old December 15th, 2006, 6:54 pm
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5052 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

I can't imagine that Minerva McGonagall is a Death Eater, under any circumstances. For many reasons, but the most important one, to me, is that Dumbledore trusted her. Since I trust Dumbledore completely, and he's known her for decades and relies on her often, I trust that Minerva's what she appears to be. A strict, competent teacher and a serious woman who's devoted to the well-being of Hogwarts.

I also think she was married, or had a serious relationship in her past. I wonder if she has any kids. No canon reason to support this, but she seems pretty smart about people, which says to me that she's experienced in human relationships.


__________________
  #47  
Old December 15th, 2006, 7:17 pm
Idabomb333  Undisclosed.gif Idabomb333 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4930 days
Posts: 901
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Lady View Post
For many reasons, but the most important one, to me, is that Dumbledore trusted her. Since I trust Dumbledore completely, and he's known her for decades and relies on her often, I trust that Minerva's what she appears to be.
Dumbledore never actually says that he trusts her, and at least in HBP acts as though he trusts Snape noticeably more. He explicitly says he trusts Snape, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
I would say this charm (animating the statues) was a Charm. In OotP we see a couple of girls studying for their Charms practical by racing erasers around a table.
If the statues had simply gone from one place to another, I would agree, but they move as though they're alive. The erasers are moved by a charm, but the statues are sort of turned alive and move like the portrayed creatures would. Would you say that the life-sized chess set is also simply charmed?

Quote:
Conjuring is not Transfiguration. In Transfiguration you start with one thing and turn it into another. So yes, Voldemort used it in that duel, when he created the snake.
I'm pretty sure that conjuring falls under the umbrella of transfiguration in terms of the classes at least. I can't think of specific examples, but I'm practically positive that I've read that conjuring and disappearing things have been taught in McGonagall's class. I think I remember a comment in the book about how conjuring out of nothing was harder (as in, reserved for the more advanced years in transfiguration class) than changing one thing into another.

Quote:
Turning a rock into a dog is precisely the sort of thing Harry would be learning from McGonagall. He just had a far better way to solve the samne problem (his flyintg talent).

Harry has a natural gift for DADA, in my opinion. This is what he ought to stick to in duel situations, as this is very well suited to them, and Harry is very good at it. What he learns in McGonagall's class could be useful, but in other situations.
Agreed. My point is simply that it easily could have come up by now that Harry knew how to transfigure something at an interesting time. Others have used it. I imagine JKR could have come up with an excuse for Harry to use it in 6 books. So I agree with voldemort_fan that it's at least mildly interesting that there doesn't appear to be such a case.


__________________
Proud member of the Conan Brigade.

  #48  
Old December 15th, 2006, 7:44 pm
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5052 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idabomb333 View Post
Dumbledore never actually says that he trusts her, and at least in HBP acts as though he trusts Snape noticeably more. He explicitly says he trusts Snape, though.
Dumbledore repeatedly says that he trusts Severus Snape to Harry, who regularly gets in his face saying that he distrusts Snape.

There is no need for him to rebuke people for being disrespectful toward Professor McGonagall. Her character is never called into question. She's been a Hogwarts teacher for decades and has a fine reputation.


__________________
  #49  
Old December 15th, 2006, 8:30 pm
Idabomb333  Undisclosed.gif Idabomb333 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4930 days
Posts: 901
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Lady View Post
Dumbledore repeatedly says that he trusts Severus Snape to Harry, who regularly gets in his face saying that he distrusts Snape.

There is no need for him to rebuke people for being disrespectful toward Professor McGonagall. Her character is never called into question. She's been a Hogwarts teacher for decades and has a fine reputation.
Agreed. I'm just saying that while it's implied that Dumbledore trusts her, he never actually says that he does. If Snape were to turn out evil, it would mean Dumbledore was wrong to trust him. If McGonagall were to turn out evil (and I don't actually think she is), it COULD still be revealed that Dumbledore never actually trusted her, and just made it appear as though he did.

It's a stretch, I know. It makes sense for Dumbledore to say he trusts Snape and not to have a chance to say anything about McGonagall, but the fact that he never actually says anything positive about McGonagall COULD be interesting.


__________________
Proud member of the Conan Brigade.

  #50  
Old December 15th, 2006, 9:04 pm
voldemort_fan  Female.gif voldemort_fan is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4643 days
Posts: 11
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
I can't imagine that Minerva McGonagall is a Death Eater, under any circumstances. For many reasons, but the most important one, to me, is that Dumbledore trusted her. Since I trust Dumbledore completely, and he's known her for decades and relies on her often, I trust that Minerva's what she appears to be. A strict, competent teacher and a serious woman who's devoted to the well-being of Hogwarts.
One possible example of Dumbledore not trusting McGonagall is the fact that he sent only her and Madam Pomphrey out of the room before telling Sirius to resume his human form. All of the Weaslys and Snape were allowed to stay. If McGoanagll is deputy headmistress, then its reasonable to assume that she has a good position in the Order as well. In that's the case, why let lower ranking Order members see Sirius transform, and not McGonagall? Sure, McGonagall had to get Hagrid and Maxime, but that could have waited a moment. Dumbledore could have sent someone else. It makes perfect sense that Pomphrey was sent out, but its different with McGonagall.

Dumbledore was also wrong about Moody, and (possibly, though I doubt it) Snape. While I think that its definitely different than the other two because he's known McGonagall longer, Dumbledore is not perfect. Smart, but he often makes giant mistakes. And JKR herself has said that Dumbledore places too much trust in people. For the record, I don't think he completely trusts McGonagall. I just think he's either trying to keep his enemies close or he's still undecided on her. I think that McGoangall being sent out of the hospital room is evidence of that. Also, the fact that he would tell Snape (possible traitor) important information in HBP, and not McGoangall (deputy head of the school and Order).


  #51  
Old December 15th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5052 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort_fan View Post
One possible example of Dumbledore not trusting McGonagall is the fact that he sent only her and Madam Pomphrey out of the room before telling Sirius to resume his human form. All of the Weaslys and Snape were allowed to stay. If McGoanagll is deputy headmistress, then its reasonable to assume that she has a good position in the Order as well. In that's the case, why let lower ranking Order members see Sirius transform, and not McGonagall? Sure, McGonagall had to get Hagrid and Maxime, but that could have waited a moment. Dumbledore could have sent someone else. It makes perfect sense that Pomphrey was sent out, but its different with McGonagall.

Dumbledore was also wrong about Moody, and (possibly, though I doubt it) Snape. While I think that its definitely different than the other two because he's known McGonagall longer, Dumbledore is not perfect. Smart, but he often makes giant mistakes. And JKR herself has said that Dumbledore places too much trust in people. For the record, I don't think he completely trusts McGonagall. I just think he's either trying to keep his enemies close or he's still undecided on her. I think that McGoangall being sent out of the hospital room is evidence of that. Also, the fact that he would tell Snape (possible traitor) important information in HBP, and not McGoangall (deputy head of the school and Order).
Ah… My dear voldemort_fan, if we wish to discuss Professor Snape here in the Minerva thread, we shall assuredly be spanked for our impudence. If we can find a Snape thread that suits us both, we could discuss the HBP at greater length. Hero thread, anyone?

I don't see it as an either-or thing. Dumbledore can be right about both McGonagall and Snape. Just because he disarmingly admitted to Harry that he isn't infallible does not mean he's a moron who makes huge, glaring mistakes all over the place. It means that he is, while wise, still human.

I see Minerva as the Hogwarts administrator designated to stay clear of politics, so she can devote herself to keeping the school safe. Someone has to keep his or her nose clean in the ongoing thing with the Ministry.

We can't assume that she has a position in the Order, in fact it's only sensible if she focuses on Hogwarts. Dumbledore's up to his eyebrows in political wrangling with the Ministry, and they keep trying to remove him from Hogwarts. So they need someone who's standing by to take care of Hogwarts.

Also, there's nothing written in canon, that I can remember, that states that Minerva is known to be an Order member. The Weasleys and Snape are more deeply involved in the affairs of the Order, and Dumbledore may have good reasons for letting them in on the secret of Sirius's identity.


__________________
  #52  
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:21 am
voldemort_fan  Female.gif voldemort_fan is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4643 days
Posts: 11
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
We can't assume that she has a position in the Order, in fact it's only sensible if she focuses on Hogwarts. Dumbledore's up to his eyebrows in political wrangling with the Ministry, and they keep trying to remove him from Hogwarts. So they need someone who's standing by to take care of Hogwarts.

Also, there's nothing written in canon, that I can remember, that states that Minerva is known to be an Order member. The Weasleys and Snape are more deeply involved in the affairs of the Order, and Dumbledore may have good reasons for letting them in on the secret of Sirius's identity.
In OotP, Harry sees McGonagall at Grimmauld Place. She wouldn't be there is she wasn't an Order member, or had some connection to the Order. Harry Ron, Hermione, etc., aren't Order members, but they're kids. I would think another adult would have to be a member to see the actual headquarters.

Quote:
I don't see it as an either-or thing. Dumbledore can be right about both McGonagall and Snape. Just because he disarmingly admitted to Harry that he isn't infallible does not mean he's a moron who makes huge, glaring mistakes all over the place. It means that he is, while wise, still human.
Sure, he could be right about both. There's definitely no proving McGonagall is evil. He certainly isn't a moron, but he has admitted to Harry in HBP that when he makes mistakes, they are bigger ones. While it may be hard to believe that someone he's known for fifty plus years could be a traitor, like I said above, I don't think he trusts her entirely, especially at the end of GoF. In any case, he doesn't really let her in on a lot of things in HBP. Not that suspicous, but it shows, at the very least, he doesn't place a special trust in her like he does in *other staff members*. (I think you know who I mean).


  #53  
Old December 16th, 2006, 3:12 am
mugglebeki  Female.gif mugglebeki is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5106 days
Location: Island of Enchantment
Posts: 436
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idabomb333 View Post
Dumbledore never actually says that he trusts her, and at least in HBP acts as though he trusts Snape noticeably more. He explicitly says he trusts Snape, though.
Well, it is implied that DD trusts McG. Dumbledore has to stress that he trusts Snape once and again because someone is always doubting why he trusts Snape. No one has ever doubted Dumbledore's trust of Minerva.


  #54  
Old December 16th, 2006, 1:56 pm
BublGumPnkHar's Avatar
BublGumPnkHar  Female.gif BublGumPnkHar is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5282 days
Location: Cruising the world's oceans
Age: 75
Posts: 1,026
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Lady View Post

I see Minerva as the Hogwarts administrator designated to stay clear of politics, so she can devote herself to keeping the school safe. Someone has to keep his or her nose clean in the ongoing thing with the Ministry.

We can't assume that she has a position in the Order, in fact it's only sensible if she focuses on Hogwarts. Dumbledore's up to his eyebrows in political wrangling with the Ministry, and they keep trying to remove him from Hogwarts. So they need someone who's standing by to take care of Hogwarts.
voldemort_fan has already answered the question about her involvement in the order, but I agree with Sly_Lady's interpretation of Minerva's role and why she is not included in all the information that Dumbledore and certain members of the Order know. She must be ignorant of such knowledge, in order to be there (at Hogwarts) when Dumbledore has been removed or left to seek information (HBP). Maybe she is not a good subject for occlumency (like Harry) and this denial of information is for her own good/protection (and the school's).

I can not see her as evil in any way. She reminds me of some older teachers I had when I was in school, with strict discipline, but fair and helpful (when needed). And we are talking about the 1950s here, folks!


  #55  
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:53 pm
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5052 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
I can not see her as evil in any way. She reminds me of some older teachers I had when I was in school, with strict discipline, but fair and helpful (when needed). And we are talking about the 1950s here, folks!
I think your description is dead accurate, that's very much how I see her.

I wonder about Minerva. Has she always been this dedicated, spinsterish schoolteacher? Or do you think she's had, um, relationships or been married? She seems to me, besides being intelligent and professional, to have a wise understanding of people and to be comfortable with herself. As an experienced woman with, erm, a varied past would be.

I have no canon whatsoever to base this on, merely the way I read her character.


__________________
  #56  
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:59 pm
voldemort_fan  Female.gif voldemort_fan is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4643 days
Posts: 11
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
I wonder about Minerva. Has she always been this dedicated, spinsterish schoolteacher? Or do you think she's had, um, relationships or been married? She seems to me, besides being intelligent and professional, to have a wise understanding of people and to be comfortable with herself. As an experienced woman with, erm, a varied past would be.

I have no canon whatsoever to base this on, merely the way I read her character.
I agree. I used to think she was a widow....not so sure anymore, though. JKR said several teachers have spouses, so the possible husband would probably still be alive if she's actually married.



Quote:
1 As a teacher, head of house and Deputy Headmistress.
- Is she impartial or does she show favourism.
- Other
I think she tries to be impartial, at least until the Quidditch match. But she took a lot of points off of Gryffindor in Book One, so it's fair to say that she's impartial most of the time.

Quote:
2 Do you think she is the right person to become Headmistress? Why?
If she's good, maybe. She seems pretty down to earth, and while she messes up at certain times, she seems like a strong personality people would follow.
If she's evil....then no, for obvious reasons.


Quote:
3 Where do you think her main loyalty lies?
- The school
- The Order
- Other
I'm not entirely decided on this one. But I lean strongly towards "other." As in Voldemort's side.

If you want to read my long, ranting opinions on why she's possibly eeevil, go to the "Is McGonagall the real traitor" thread. Can I talk about that here?

Quote:
4 Has her character changed through the series? How?
Not really. If she's good, she's been so from the beginning, and if she's evil, she's stayed the same.

Quote:
5 What, if any, has her impact on Harry been?
I think Harry looks up to McGonagall. Not as much as Hermione does, but in Harry's mind McGonagall has been there to listen to some of his problems. She's strict to Harry, but reliable as far as he knows. I think Harry's respect of her increased after seeing her stand up to the Ministry in Book Five.

Quote:
6 Do you think she will play an important role in book 7? How?
Definitely. I personally think that her true loyalties will finally be revealed. But in any case, she's important because she's now leading the school and Order.



Last edited by voldemort_fan; December 17th, 2006 at 12:16 am.
  #57  
Old December 17th, 2006, 2:09 am
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5052 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort_fan View Post
I agree. I used to think she was a widow....not so sure anymore, though. JKR said several teachers have spouses, so the possible husband would probably still be alive if she's actually married.
The question would be where the married teachers keep those spouses if they are alive. Granted, kids like to think their teachers don't have a life outside the classroom, but it's a boarding school and staff members live there. Does Minerva keep Mr. McGonagall in a little cottage where she goes for romantic interludes every night after dinner in the Great Hall?

The mind boggles…


__________________
  #58  
Old December 17th, 2006, 2:22 am
voldemort_fan  Female.gif voldemort_fan is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4643 days
Posts: 11
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
The question would be where the married teachers keep those spouses if they are alive. Granted, kids like to think their teachers don't have a life outside the classroom, but it's a boarding school and staff members live there. Does Minerva keep Mr. McGonagall in a little cottage where she goes for romantic interludes every night after dinner in the Great Hall?

The mind boggles…
No idea. But I think she's the most likely to be married, apparently several teachers at Hogwarts are married, according to JKR. It's not like it would be impossible.

I heard speculation that she was married to Dumbledore. I don't believe it though. Too big of an age difference. He's over twice her age, apparently.


  #59  
Old December 17th, 2006, 2:36 am
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5052 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort_fan View Post
No idea. But I think she's the most likely to be married, apparently several teachers at Hogwarts are married, according to JKR. It's not like it would be impossible.

I heard speculation that she was married to Dumbledore. I don't believe it though. Too big of an age difference. He's over twice her age, apparently.
Yep, that would be weird. I think Dumbledore was married too, in the past, but not to Minerva.

Of course she's very close to Voldemort's age, and we've heard the names of some Death Eaters who were at Hogwarts when she was there. Maybe she had a relationship with a future Death Eater, which she regretted.

Or maybe, since she was barely finished with school shortly before Grindelwald's demise, I've wondered if she may have been gallavanting around Europe, helping to defeat that evil wizard.

She could have met a likely young wizard at that time and had a fling, or gotten married, Maybe had kids, who are long grown up and living their own lives. Maybe she's a grandmother…

Goodness! I feel as though I'm on the way to writing a fanfic. How silly.

Anyway, we have no canon, but she strikes me as a woman who's had varied experiences. Others on the staff seem as though they haven't had as much life experience.


__________________
  #60  
Old December 17th, 2006, 9:24 am
HardtoImagine  Female.gif HardtoImagine is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4782 days
Age: 35
Posts: 140
Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis.

My analysis: Professor Mcgonagall has been there from the very beginning. She is a stern, smart and caring individual. Personally, I find her to be the very model of a good teacher. She is not one of my favorites only because she reminds of teachers who give a lot of homework. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.
1 As a teacher, head of house and Deputy Headmistress.
- Is she impartial or does she show favourism.
- Other

I think she goes out of her way to be fair. I think that's very admirable of her and that's what a head of house should do. She provides a contrast to Snape and his blatant favoritism.
However, sometimes she does let her guard down, and makes it known whose side she is really on. Especially when it comes to Quidditch.

2 Do you think she is the right person to become Headmistress? Why?
Absolutely, I think she does a pretty good job. She is a bit stern, and that reminds me of some other teachers I had in school.

3 Where do you think her main loyalty lies?
- The school
- The Order
- Other

I think her main loyalty is to the school. She is also the logical choice for new headmaster. I think she shows in her actions and things that she says that the school is the most important thing to her, and she will do anything to defend it.

4 Has her character changed through the series? How?
If anything we have just discovered more facets to her personality. They've just unfolded more slowly since she isn't a main character.

5 What, if any, has her impact on Harry been?

Well, she has kept her distance emotionally. She probably instilled a sense of pride in hard work and overall fairness. She is a supportive head of house, and always has her students best interests at heart.

6 Do you think she will play an important role in book 7? How?
I don't think we will see her take on a huge role in the last book, however she will still have a presence...especially if she is the new headmaster.


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:02 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.