Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old October 5th, 2006, 9:53 am
MODLY CREW

Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Lucius Malfoy is the patriarch of one of the wealthiest and most influential pure-blood families. He is a known Death Eater and nobody would ever question his loyalties – or would they? Lucius is without question a Machiavellian master. Without having an actual profession he bribes, blackmails and threatens Ministry officials and the school governors and almost always gets what he wants. Despite his downfall and imprisonment, I have no doubt that we’ll see Lucius again. Let’s discuss and analyse this character.
  1. Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
  2. What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
  3. Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
  4. What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
  5. Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
  6. Will he escape from Azkaban? What kind of role will he play in the last book?
  7. Voldemort used Draco to punish Lucius. Will Lucius try to take revenge for his son?

Please remember that this is a discussion thread. All criticism should be constructive. You can say "Lucius made a mistake when he did such and such." but not "Lucius is a pompous git and deserved what he got". Posts that are considered bashing may be deleted by staff.

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:31 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
Lucius appears to do what suits him at the time. The diary wasn't something he was supposed to be playing with but because Voldy wasn't around anymore he may have decided he could do what he wanted with it. His family is important to him because he values the idea that his son will, in lamest terms, inherit the family Death-Eatering business, but he is, in the end, doing what makes him happy.
Quote:
What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
That it would open the Chamber of Secrets. I highly doubt Voldy thought Lucius important enough to impart the knowledge that his soul was in there, nevermind the fact that it was part of a bigger realm of Horcruxes. All Lucius knew was that it was a highly incriminating piece of dark material and that he could open the veritable door for a havocing wreaking monster.
Quote:
Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
I don't think he's a deadbeat by any stretch of the imagination but I definately think there's a bit of a chip missing in the parent department. He wants his son to take after him and greatly values being able to provide his son with anything and everything dear Draco could ever want, but doesn't quite seem as parental as Narcissa appears to be. Perhaps that's the difference between being the father and being the mother but I think he thinks of Draco as more like an ally whereas Narcissa thinks of him as a child.
Quote:
What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
It's been stated in the books, from his sneering smile to the cold look in his eyes when ANY Weasley is around, that he doesn't like Arthur. He couldn't care less about Molly I figure, perhaps due to the fact she's a woman and he doesn't work with her, but I think he sees Arthur as an annoyance; like a horse is annoyed by flies.
I imagine he's fairly friendly with Bellatrix, as he is with Snape, because he sees them as equals (or almost equals!). He figures they're on his side, they agree with his thinking and value his opinions.
The Death-Eaters are his pawns. As much as there doesn't appear to be much of a visible hierarchy in the DE's (ie a DE of a higher rank wears a different colour mask or something), he seems himself (and perhaps they see him) as someone not to mess with. He stoops to any sort of lows, through bribery and extortion, to accomplish his goals, inside and out of Voldy's inner circle.
Narcissa and he get alone well. There seems to be a bit of old world respect about their relationship, where he sees himself as the provider and master of his household and she's his property. I don't think she minds this sort of thinking for the most part but with that bit in HBP of her going to Snape, I sense desperation and a feeling that she doesn't quite know what to do when Lucius isn't around.
As for poor Harry Potter, Lucius hates him the way Snape hates him. There appears to be some very similar traits about the two of them.
Quote:
Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
For some reason I don't think he did. I think it was kind of like Harry trying to get the memory from Slughorn in HBP in the sense that they can tell themselves 'I'm trying as hard as I can' but they know in the back of their heads that they aren't/weren't exhausting all their options.
Quote:
Will he escape from Azkaban? What kind of role will he play in the last book?
He will escape from Azkaban. He played a fair role in CoS and I figure in Book 7 there's going to be more information into Lucius' psyche. For JKR to introduce Narcissa in a larger role in HBP than she has had the entire series, leads me to believe there will be more involvement with entire families of DE's in this Second War.
Quote:
Voldemort used Draco to punish Lucius. Will Lucius try to take revenge for his son
Yes. Lucius spends a fair amount of time looking out for himself but he seems fairly possessive of his family. It seems to be that 'no one hurts my family but me' sort of issue (not that he's violent with them or anything...). I don't think it will be a big open confrontation with LV but I imagine there will be a certain amount of sabatoge on his part.

...I hope that made sense...

Old October 13th, 2006, 6:27 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
[*]Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
I think that for the most part these are not mutually exclusive and that he can be loyal to the both of them. I think that only book seven will tell us one way or the other where his loyalties really lie. I think that it may lie with his family.

Quote:
[*]What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
I think that he knew what the diary was though whether he found out when he took possession of the diary or later I am unsure.

I liken the diary to the marauders' map in one way. JKR has described how the map would have helped Fred and George find the way to work it, helped them to figure out the password. I think that in a similar way the diary could have done something similar with Lucius.

I am unsure as to whether Voldemort told him that it was a horcrux, or a part of his soul; I think he could have told him that it was a means of restoring him to power if he appeared defeated.

Even if he wasn't told, I think that the diary itself could have guided Lucius in order to ensure it was returned to Hogwart's.

At first glance the diary is merely an empty book - I can't believe that Lucius never once wrote in it to see what would happen and find out why it was so important.

If Lucius didn't know what it was and what it was capable of doing then why slip it in with Ginny's books at all?

Although it might seem to be a rather reckless thing to do with the book we have to remember that Voldemort had been defeated and if the book was "speaking" to Lucius and guiding him then the 16 year old Tom Riddle may well have encouraged Lucius to take the risk in order to restore him. Had it not been for Harry (who at the time was only 12 years old) defeating him (something that would at first glance seem unlikely) then Voldemort would have been restored and Lucius would have cemented his place in the ranks of Death Eaters.

If he didn't find out what it was capable of from Voldemort when he took possession of the book I think he could have found out from the book itself.

Quote:
[*]Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
I think that we have seen too little of him in this role to know one way or the other. He has clearly brought Draco up to have the same ideals and beliefs that he has. I think that he probably sees himself as a good father.

Quote:
[*]What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Relationships:

Bellatrix Lestrange - I think that our view of his relationship with Bellatrix is tainted by the fact that the only time we see them together (that I can recall anyway) is at the Minstry. I don't feel that you can judge what sort of a relationship they had by seeing them in that instance. I suspect he doesn't have a great deal of patience with her though, she is the one he really has to stop from accidentally destroying the prophecy after all.

Arthur Weasley - I think that he has nothing but contempt for Arthur Weasley. He is a pureblood wizard but one who does not believe that that is the be all and end all of things. I think that their ideals are so different that Lucius could never have any respect for Arthur. I have seen nothing in their interactions to show anything else.

Draco Malfoy - I think that he loves his son and that he is proud of him, at least when he is succeeding in things. I think that he is probably quite strict with him and that Draco isn't as spoiled as might be believed for the (as far as I can see) only son of a wealthy family. He was probably proud that Draco became a Death Eater and I am very curious as to how he will react to the news that his son could not bring himself to murder Dumbledore - i.e. whether he will be disappointed in him or not.

Albus Dumbledore - I think that Lucius does respect Dumbledore, even though he doesn't agree with his views. I think that he perhaps feared him a little too. He is never openly contemptuous of Dumbledore to the same extent that he is Arthur Weasley.

Narcissa Malfoy - I like to think that they married for love but I again I don't think that we have seen enough of them reacting together to judge entirely what their situation is. The idea of an arranged marriage is one that I have heard mentioned in respect of them and for some reason that idea does not sit entirely right with me in respect of this couple.

Other Death Eaters - I see Lucius's role in the Death Eaters as one of the higher ranking members, at least before his incarceration in Azkaban. I see him as one of the leaders when they are out of the way of Voldemort himself. I think that he commands the respect of them as he is in a powerful position in the community as well as in the Death Eaters. If Voldemort should rise to power and Lucius be in favour there would no doubt be a lot of Death Eaters eager to use his connections to their own advantage.

I am unsure whether they all fear him, Bellatrix certainly didn't appear to when he was giving orders in the Ministry, but I think that at the very least some of the lower ranking Death Eaters might purely on the basis that he is a very powerful wizard in his own right.

Severus Snape - Narcissa refers to them as friends and despite my beliefs about where Snape's loyalties lie I think that they may have been friends at some point. At school I could easily see the "lapdog" comment made by Sirius as an indication that Snape did some fetcing and carrying and ran errands for Lucius. I think that there might even have been some form of hero worship from the young Snape in the direction of Lucius.

More recently I think that Lucius might not have approved (if he knew about it) of Narcissa calling in a favour in the name of his friendship with Snape with regards to the unbreakable vow. I think that he is smart enough to have been one of those who would question his loyalty, particularly now that he is in prison.

I think that he is grateful however for the protection of Draco that Snape offers.

Harry Potter - I think he sees Harry as an obstacle that stands between Voldemort coming to power, and he himself gaining more power at the same time. I think that he doesn't really see him as anything more than that. If he saw him as a child of his own son's age then I don't think he would treat him in the same way that he does.

I think after the graveyard scene in GoF he might also have a little grudging respect for Harry for managing to escape.

Quote:
[*]Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
I think he did.

He is the one to bring the other Death Eaters into line when they are about to risk attacking Harry regardless of whether the prophecy is destroyed. He even deflects Bellatrix's attack in order to try to keep the prophecy safe.

It was only after the members of the Order turned up that things fell apart. He was the one who was calmly trying to keep things from going south that much sooner.

Quote:
[*]Will he escape from Azkaban? What kind of role will he play in the last book?
I would hope that he does escape from Azkaban or that we at least get to see him again but am really unsure what sort of a role he will play. I do wonder if he might turn on Voldemort in retaliation or defence of Draco though.

Quote:
[*]Voldemort used Draco to punish Lucius. Will Lucius try to take revenge for his son?
I think it will depend on what happens to Draco now that he has failed in his mission.

Lucius may not have seen it as a punishment, he may have been proud that his son had been entrusted to such a task. We don't know how he has reacted to this, we have only seen Narcissa's reaction.

Old October 14th, 2006, 8:06 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaB View Post
I think that for the most part these are not mutually exclusive and that he can be loyal to the both of them. I think that only book seven will tell us one way or the other where his loyalties really lie.
I think his use of the Diary in CoS to further his own feud with Arthur Weasley is an indication that his first loyalty is not to Voldemort. I think he joined Voldemort in the first place because he expected it to be to his advantage. I don't think he was all that thrilled to see Voldemort vack in GoF, though this I can't back with more than just that it is my impression.

Quote:
I am unsure as to whether Voldemort told him that it was a horcrux, or a part of his soul; I think he could have told him that it was a means of restoring him to power if he appeared defeated.
I tend to agree with theotherwoman on this. I think all Voldemort told 'his slippery friend' was that the Diary contained Dark Magic that could open the CHamber of Secrets.

Quote:
At first glance the diary is merely an empty book - I can't believe that Lucius never once wrote in it to see what would happen and find out why it was so important.
Hmm. As a statement about Lucius, I could see that. But if Tom Riddle had had the opportunity to manipulate Lucius, I think he would have. I see no evidence of this. In p-articular, he states he learned about Harry's history from Ginny, suggesting she was the first he so manipulated. He did not make Harry his target until sometime afetr Ginny started writing in the Diary. He certainly would have, if he had been controlling Lucius for 16 years.

Quote:
I think that we have seen too little of him in this role to know one way or the other. He has clearly brought Draco up to have the same ideals and beliefs that he has. I think that he probably sees himself as a good father.
I think he cares for Draco, but Ido not htink he is a particularly good father. Draco seems a tad too desperate to be just like his father and please him. I don't think Draco receives the confidence in his father's unconditional love that he needs to develop better self-esteem.

Quote:
Bellatrix Lestrange - I think that our view of his relationship with Bellatrix is tainted by the fact that the only time we see them together (that I can recall anyway) is at the Minstry. I don't feel that you can judge what sort of a relationship they had by seeing them in that instance. I suspect he doesn't have a great deal of patience with her though, she is the one he really has to stop from accidentally destroying the prophecy after all.
I would add, they are competitors for Voldemort's favor. I don't think he's quite the fanatic Bella is, but he still wants to be number one, for the power over the others it would bring him.

Quote:
Narcissa Malfoy - I like to think that they married for love but I again I don't think that we have seen enough of them reacting together to judge entirely what their situation is. The idea of an arranged marriage is one that I have heard mentioned in respect of them and for some reason that idea does not sit entirely right with me in respect of this couple.
It is actually the case that in cultures with arranged marriages, while there are nightmare stories (just as there are in the West, where this custom has fallen out of favor) many couples grow to love each other after marriage. Regardless of how the marriage started, I think Lucius and Narcissa have a good relationship. She will not allow her sister to criticize her husband in Spinner's End. He defers to her wishes about their son's education.

Quote:
Severus Snape - Narcissa refers to them as friends and despite my beliefs about where Snape's loyalties lie I think that they may have been friends at some point. At school I could easily see the "lapdog" comment made by Sirius as an indication that Snape did some fetcing and carrying and ran errands for Lucius. I think that there might even have been some form of hero worship from the young Snape in the direction of Lucius.
Exactly how I see it. Also, I think Snape may have been exploiting his tie to Lucius in his spying, because of Lucius's many connections.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 14th, 2006, 9:01 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
Hmm. As a statement about Lucius, I could see that. But if Tom Riddle had had the opportunity to manipulate Lucius, I think he would have. I see no evidence of this. In p-articular, he states he learned about Harry's history from Ginny, suggesting she was the first he so manipulated. He did not make Harry his target until sometime afetr Ginny started writing in the Diary. He certainly would have, if he had been controlling Lucius for 16 years.
I don't think Lucius was being controlled in the same sense that Ginny was. If he were he would be taking his life in the same way as he was taking Ginny's. Would he want to do that to one of his most powerful Death Eater's, one with ties to a number of others who might well want revenge for the death of one of the family?

I meant more that Lucius could have found out from the diary itself what it was capable of. Supposing he had discovered what it was through the diary's prompting and Voldemort had succeeded in being restored back then...from Lucius's point of view I think he would think it worth the risk.

Tom told Harry what he wanted him to hear. Or rather showed him what he wanted him to see.

He could have had other information from Lucius but have an idea that naming someone who Harry wasn't aware had the diary could set all sorts of alarm bells ringing.

And when would Lucius have had the get the diary near to Harry before he did? Harry had been outside of the wizarding world until the year before and there were rumours that he was a new Dark Lord, he may simply have been biding his time until after reports from Draco during the first year Harry was at Hogwart's.

Old October 16th, 2006, 3:14 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Is Lucius loyal at all? I'm pretty convinced that he follows Voldemort for what he can get out of it, not because he admires Voldy. To his family he is most probably loyal but I'm not sure he'd do as much for Narcissa as she'd do for him.

He only knew that the Diary was enchanted to open the Chamber of Secrets and set Slytherin's monster loose. I don't know if he knew what the monster was or if he considered it could hurt Draco or his friends. His desire to discredit Arthur and Albus led him to endanger the whole school. I'm certain he didn't know it was a horcrux and I don't think he knew how the Diary would work, ie that Tom Riddle could be reborn.

He's about as good a father as Vernon Dursley! He spoils his son, and is critical of him, but seems to take Draco into his confidence about things such as the Chamber of Secrets. He isn't exactly a shining role model for Draco is he? Self-centred, conceited, bigoted.

4. What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?

Bella is his sister-in-law but I don't get the impression he's particularly close to her. Have we ever seen them together? Oh yes, at the MOM. He tells her to shut up which doesn't seem to me to be very affectionate!
    Arthur he despises because he could be a snobby pure-blood but instead he is a blood traitor. Lucius definitely disapproves of that.
    Draco - I don't know how he feels about his son, which is a sad thing to say. He buys him lots of stuff but he never seems to speak to him affectionately or be encouraging. On the other hand he tried to get Buckbeak killed after it had attacked Draco so perhaps he does care for him. Equally he might have done that to discredit Dumbledore.
    Dumbledore he really dislikes. Probably because Dumbledore likes Muggles and Mudbloods too.
    I think Lucius sees himself as better than the other DEs and would like to be Voldy's 2nd in command if he could do it.
    Snape he seems to be in cahoots with but as we don't know yet which side Snape is on e don't know if Lucius is deluded or not.
    Harry - I don't think Lucius thought much of him at all at first but after Harry liberated Dobby I think Lucius would do what he could against Harry.

I think he seriously underestimated the power of the kids and thought it would be a push-over. He was proved wrong and then the Order turned up and I don't think there was much more he could do.

6. Will he escape from Azkaban? What kind of role will he play in the last book?

Myself I think he'll stay safe in Azkaban as long as he can!

7. Voldemort used Draco to punish Lucius. Will Lucius try to take revenge for his son?

I think Lucius would take revenge if he thought it could be done without endangering himself. I really don't think he'd take on Voldemort at full power though.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 16th, 2006, 6:37 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
  1. [b]

2. Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?

He's about as good a father as Vernon Dursley! He spoils his son, and is critical of him, but seems to take Draco into his confidence about things such as the Chamber of Secrets. He isn't exactly a shining role model for Draco is he? Self-centred, conceited, bigoted.

Why didn't I think of that?! He does seem to tell Draco an awful lot...at least, more than other kids seem to hear from their parents. Draco knew about the GoF beforehand, as well as the CoS and it doesn't seem like anyone else knew as much as Draco did (or at least they weren't talking about it). Good point!

Old October 19th, 2006, 9:52 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
I think that for the most part these are not mutually exclusive and that he can be loyal to the both of them. I think that only book seven will tell us one way or the other where his loyalties really lie. I think that it may lie with his family.
Well, being loyal to Voldemort means to risk the life of their only son and heir. We have seen that Bella would sacrifice her children instantly. We have also seen that Narcissa puts her family above Voldemort. I think that Lucius would do the same. The house of Malfoy needs an heir and sending him on a suicide mission cannot be in Lucius' interest.

Quote:
I think it will depend on what happens to Draco now that he has failed in his mission.

Lucius may not have seen it as a punishment, he may have been proud that his son had been entrusted to such a task. We don't know how he has reacted to this, we have only seen Narcissa's reaction.
Yes, true, but Lucius never appeared to be overly loyal to Voldemort. He is a Machiavellian character: he manipulates, bribes, blackmails etc for his own interests, not Voldemort's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius
I think his use of the Diary in CoS to further his own feud with Arthur Weasley is an indication that his first loyalty is not to Voldemort. I think he joined Voldemort in the first place because he expected it to be to his advantage. I don't think he was all that thrilled to see Voldemort vack in GoF, though this I can't back with more than just that it is my impression.
Exactly what I think. I always wondered why he despises Arthur so much. He is a blood-traitor, yes, but their feud seems to be very personal.

Old October 19th, 2006, 10:08 am
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
He's scared of Voldemort - and he admires him the same time. He would probably like to have a similar power, but I doubt he feels more comfortable since Voldemorts return.

If Voldemort would tell him to leave his family I doubt he could resist.

Quote:
I assume he knew that it is the opener to the chamber. It seems nobody of the Death Eaters really got the idea of horcruxes - they didn't know or they didn't understand. For the diary he just used it to treaten Arthur, but not in the intention to spread Slytherin's thought again. That was a site effect he probably liked, of course.

Quote:
Not in my opinion. Draco has to learn how to become a good manipulator of society, not how to become a good human and how to live his life. That's actually very sad.

Quote:
Very good question. I still think he's the coward Bella suspected him to be. He didn't do too much, he more feared to destroy the prophecy (and get a punishment) than really try to get it. I doubt he tried to not get it, his loyalities are by the Dark Lord (see the reasons above).

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:40 am
Zonko's Employee

My Character Analysis of Lucius Malfoy:
  1. Opening Statement: He is one of my more hates characters. Though he is fairly well-written, I can't help but not like him for the Chamber of Secrets thing, I mean, that was just plain evil! People could've died, Hogwarts could've ended...Lucius definetely made Draco what he is today. Though I think Draco isn't pure evil, like his father, though. I think there is something we're missing...
  2. Favorite Quotes: None.
  3. Favorite Moments: I love the whole sock/diary scene in Chamber of Secrets. Lucius sure got mad .
    I think he is more loyal to Voldemort than his family. Draco is more loyal to his family, though. Lucius seems the type of person who would let them go and him go serve Voldemort if Voldemort said so. Lucius is scared of death and Voldemort, of course, so he is trapped.
    I think the line is drawn at the point where he only, supposedly, knew that if the Diary was brought to Hogwarts, therre was a good chance the Chamber of Secrets would be opened. I am not sure whether he knew it was a Horcrux until later, but maybe he never learned...
    No, he is not. Look at Draco. Then look at Lucius. It all comes from Lucius. The bullying, the thinking that he, Draco, is better than everyone else, the lies, everything. Narcissa isn't an angel, actually far from it, but she isn't as bad, or as evil, from what we have seen of Lucius.
    Bellatrix and Lucius, well, I don't know...It seems to me that they are both loyal to Voldemort; Bellatrix more so. So when Lucius messed up, Bellatrix started to hate Lucius and stuff because Bellatrix is so loyal. She almost cursed her own sister with her wand.

He hates Arthur Weasley very much, second to Harry only. There will be no alliances between them, no makeups or anything like that. They are enemies and that is all they cane ver be, even if the Malfoy family is given the reprieve.

He might love Draco, I do not know. Draco certainly looks up to his father, very highly in fact. Draco respects the amount of power, wealth, and position his father holds. He seems to want to be just like him. That is not good.
    Lucius seemed pretty ticked off when he saw Harry just toying with him. He knew the consequences of not getting the Prophecy, and with that fact alone, Lucius tried with all his might to get it for his master. He cared not what it says, though maybe he was curious. He only cared for his life which may or may not be spared even in Book 7 because of that act. Lucius was saved by the Ministry when he was put into Azkaban.
    Not as big of a role as he has in the past books, and I can't really see him of much important anymore. I can't plug him in much of anywhere, cept with Draco. His fate is in Draco's hands. If Draco sides woth the Dark Side completely, it might not be so good for Lucius. If Draco sides with the Good Side, then it isn't good for anyone, but perhaps the Ministry would be able to protect them like Dumbledore said -- or atleast the Order.
    Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how much he loves his family, how much he is scared of Voldemort, and where his loyalties lay. His family's fate is in Draco's hands now...

Old October 20th, 2006, 9:58 pm
Second Year

I'm sure Lucius enjoys the association when it benefits him. Voldemort gives him huge license to act on extremely ugly impulses which, in politer society, he would not be allowed to indulge. If Voldemort were asking my advice, I would tell him to off Lucius Malfoy YESTERDAY. He and Voldemort agree on a lot of things, but I don't see any sign of loyalty. His selfishness and cowardice are just plain dangerous.

For example, he let the Chamber of Secrets get opened mainly to avoid being associated with something that belonged to Voldemort. It must have occured to him that opening the Chamber of Secrets would be dangerous. His own son could have been killed -- unless Lucius was just that sure that whatever came out of the chamber was only hungry for mudbloods -- which ignorance is also dangerous.

So far as his treatment of Draco, I would say he's not too terrible. Not good exactly, but I think most people could bounce back from the experience. So far as the example he's setting, he just couldn't be much worse, could he?

what an interesting question. I agree with theotherwoman. He was definitely trying, but he could have been trying more. Also, it wasn't really his kind of situation. He was in a position where he had to be really direct and confrontational, so that was a disadvantage.

It seems unrealistic for Voldemort to keep him around, yet killing him would sort of drag him into the limelight in the next book, which there might be no reason to do... The Malfoys in general may have served their narrative purpose already, which would be too bad, since they're so fun to read about. What I would really like is for him to get into another fight with Arthur Weasley.

He would certainly LIKE to seek revenge, but he might have to decide if it's worth it. I don't think he would risk his own life. He might give it a shot if he thought he would die either way.

In general, I have less faith in Lucius than any other character in the entire series. If the series were a race toward redemption, he MIGHT get there before Voldemort, but I doubt it.

Old October 21st, 2006, 5:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdogs View Post

In general, I have less faith in Lucius than any other character in the entire series. If the series were a race toward redemption, he MIGHT get there before Voldemort, but I doubt it.
Well said! I totally agree with that!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 21st, 2006, 7:35 am
Second Year

My Analysis - Lucius Malfoy
Lucius is the perfect example of a follower of Voldemort. He discriminates against muggles and half bloods, and feels justified that he can say he is superior to them. He has had money his whole life and likes to let other people know that he is better than them - like Arthur Weasley. He has trained his son to think as he does and instilled a great sense of pride in him.
[*]Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
Lucius seems to believe in Voldemort's cause. He relishes his position in society most of all, so him being in prison must be a real downfall to his status. The elite Death Eater "group" reminds me of secret clubs rich males have liked to participate in through out the ages, like the Free Mason's or something. Not that they promote evil things like the DE's but in that they can exclude other people. Anyway, personally I think almost everyone except Bellatrix is loyal to themselves first and Voldemort is secondary or tertiary etc.
[*]What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
I don't think he knew exactly what it was because I thought knowledge of horcruxes was very uncommon. He seemed to doubt whether Voldemort was coming back so he didn't protect this (dark magic) property too well, and pawned it off on Ginny Weasley to incriminate the Weasley family. He did that for selfish and not very nice reasons.
[*]Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
Lucius is a good father in that he provides for his family, but there is a lot more than that to being a good father. Judging by how he treats Draco and how Draco acts in general you can question his abilities or motivations as a father. He doesn't come off well in that respect. I'm sure he loves Draco though.
[*]What is/was his relationship to
/Arthur Weasley
For whatever reason Lucius dislikes Arthur and his family very much. I guess it's because they are "blood traitors" or whatever. I also know he looks down on them because they are not as wealthy etc. It just shows how petty Lucius can be.
/his son Draco
He is very authoritative of Draco. Draco it would seem would hate to disapoint his father. Lucius taught Draco all his prejudices and he is a willing son to follow in his Dad's footsteps.
/Narcissa Malfoy
His wife, I don't recall ever reading a scene with them interacting very much, but I think she is more nurturing of Draco because he is their only child and she didn't want him to go far off to school in Durmstrang/also her actions in Spinner's End.
/other Death Eaters
He seems to be a Death Eater of higher regard simply because of his role in society. He is very rich and thinks he is better than everyone else.
/Harry Potter
I guess he knows Harry is Draco's rival in school, so he doesn't like him at all. There is also the reason that he defeated Voldemort and is of halfblood parentage. He probably doesn't like the fact that Harry will talk back to him either.
[*]Will he escape from Azkaban? What kind of role will he play in the last book?
I'm not sure if he will get out of Azkaban. It depends on if JKR wants to make use of him I guess.
[*]Voldemort used Draco to punish Lucius. Will Lucius try to take revenge for his son?
No, I don't think he will. He knows Voldemort is too powerful to oppose directly. He might sabotage in other ways though secretly, but he knows there is a great risk Voldy might find him out.

Old October 21st, 2006, 10:10 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardtoImagine View Post
No, I don't think he will. He knows Voldemort is too powerful to oppose directly. He might sabotage in other ways though secretly, but he knows there is a great risk Voldy might find him out.
Well, sabotage and revenge aren't mutually exclusive. Lucius never had a direct approach, he never ran into things like Bella or Sirius. He is much more careful. But planning revenge by sabotaging Voldemort's plans and showing him not to mess with a Malfoy sounds very much like Lucius to me. And Voldemort tried to do the worst to him: breaking the bloodline and consequently ending the House of Malfoy.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 3:34 am
I want to believe

It’s hard to say, but I’m going to say he’s loyal to his family and himself first, and then Voldemort. When one’s family is put at risk, it seems likely that most people would drop their other loyalties and help their family. Lucius is very loyal to Voldemort, but I don’t think he’s like Bellatrix, who would gladly offer up her child to Voldemort. Also, we see Lucius do what he thinks will benefit himself while Voldemort is MIA when he plants the diary in Ginny’s cauldron.

Whatever he knew, he didn’t know it was a horcrux, or he’d have treated it with much more respect, as Dumbledore tells us. He only knew that it was a “weapon” of sorts that would open the Chamber of Secrets and thus continue Voldemort’s work.

Well, I’m sure he loves his son, but that doesn’t make him a good father. I don’t think he’s a very good father because of the way he spoils Draco. Also, Lucius expects his son to be nearly perfect; for instance, he is upset that Draco was beaten by a “mudblood” (Hermione). He is critical of Draco when Draco doesn’t succeed in the way he wants him to.

Lucius must have been on good terms with Bellatrix, Snape and the other Death Eaters. I do wonder if there was a bit of competition between he, Bellatrix and possibly Snape to be Voldemort’s favorite. Lucius seems a little controlling of Draco, teaching him closely all the ways of a “proper” Pureblood wizard. I’m sure he must have loved Draco nevertheless, as well as his wife Narcissa. Lucius has always frowned upon Dumbledore, deeming him a “muggle-lover”. He also frowns upon all of the Weasleys, but Arthur especially since he’s Lucius’ rival. I agree with theotherwoman that Harry is likely viewed by Lucius the way Snape views him.

Yes, I don’t see what else he could have done. He led the group of Death Eaters on the DoM mission, and tried to talk Harry into giving the prophecy to him. I agree that he definitely underestimated Harry though, so in hindsight I suppose he could have taken Harry more seriously.

It’s possible he could escape, or get broken out of Azkaban by someone (Narcissa maybe). If he does get out, he may try to win back Voldemort’s favor (good luck to him!). Or he may possibly join Narcissa and do something against Voldemort because of what he did to their son (though I think that’s kind of unlikely). In any case, I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Lucius.

I don’t know if Lucius is in a position to do that if he’s imprisoned, but I’m pretty sure he’d want to avenge the way his son was treated (ie being used like a pawn by Voldemort). But as LouisaB said, it also depends on how Draco is treated after Voldemort learns he failed to kill Dumbledore.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 23rd, 2006, 4:46 am
First Year

I think he's only loyal to Voldemort to the point that it is an advantage him. He is definately not a fanatic like Bellatrix. Remember Voldemort tells Lucius that there were rumors and whispers of his whereabouts, but Lucius did not attempt to contact him.

I don't think he knew all that much, since Voldemort is a rather closed off person. He just knew that it would rid Hogwarts of Mudbloods. He did it to get rid of his Dark Arts things and to discredit Arthur Weasley (and then to maybe get rid of the Muggle Protection Act?)

I don't think he's a bad one. He seems to really care for Draco (Buckbeak, Voldemort using Draco to punish Lucius). Draco also holds Lucius in very high regard, and was crying that his parents (which would include Lucius) might be killed by Voldemort. Draco doesn't seem to be the type to give love without being loved in return -- thus Lucius does love his son.

What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Bellatrix: He might be friends with her, but that is probably because she is Narcissa's sister. I don't think that they're really that close. She is too much of a fanatic to Voldemort and would sacrifice her child if she had one to him.
Arthur Weasley: They might have gone to Hogwarts together. I think that their hostility started in Hogwarts and just got worse over the years. Lucius holds contempt for everything that Arthur is and does.
Draco: I think that he loves Draco and gives him whatever he desires. However, he might also be quite strict with him for any wrongdoings. So Lucius is both lavish and strict with Draco. (Must get confusing for Draco)
Dumbledore: I think that he completely despises him and frowns upon all of Dumbledore's ideas.
Narcissa: Narcissa was rather protective of Lucius in Spinner's End "Don't you dare-don't you dare blame my husband!". While completely worried out of her mind about Draco, she still showed that she cares about Lucius extremely. That part led me to believe that Narcissa and Lucius do have a very loving relationship, whatever the reasons for this would be.
Death Eaters: They probably look up to Lucius as an authority figure who is second in line after Voldemort (maybe after Bella as well, but he is up there). They are also probably frightened of him a little because of who he is and his name and influence.
Snape: I think that he considers Snape a rather close acquaintance. I think that it was Lucius who introduced Snape to the Death Eaters
Harry Potter: He is bound to have heard a lot about Harry (from Draco and Snape), and none of it good. I don't think that Lucius underestimates him exactly (especially after the Minnistry), but he is bound to think of Harry as somebody who has gotten out of things through sheer luck

I agree with horcrux4 who said that he underestimated the kids. He wanted to have some fun with them and was so sure that it would be so easy, that he did not use all his abilities to retrieve the prophecy.

Yes, he has to! Why else build him up so much for such an anticlimatic end? I can't really see him surviving past the seventh book however, he's done too many horrible things in the books so far.

Voldemort used Draco to punish Lucius. Will Lucius try to take revenge for his son?
I would agree with the people who said that it depends on how Voldemort treats Draco afterwards. I think it is more likely that he would attempt to take revenge however. I don't think that he would allow anybody to mess with his family and not pay for it. Though I don't think Lucius will full out go and join the Order, he might secretly sabotage some of Voldemorts plans or something.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 5:06 am
Fourth Year

Quote:

I'm sure Lucius enjoys the association when it benefits him. Voldemort gives him huge license to act on extremely ugly impulses which, in politer society, he would not be allowed to indulge.
Totally! It kind of amounts to "you mean I did all those horrible things? Oh, that's because I was under the Imperius curse!" [look around suspiciously]. He must love the idea he can be this man-about-town in the general public, doing what Lucius likes, and then at night run around in a cape and mask being evil. It's like halloween all the time!

Quote:
If Voldemort were asking my advice, I would tell him to off Lucius Malfoy YESTERDAY.
You can definately see how the Malfoy's in general are a bit of a liability. You've got Lucius, who does what he wants when he thinks it's safe but then joins the winning team when he thinks there is one. Then Narcissa, who won't keep quiet when she was told to, and Draco, who can't complete his tasks. Yeah, for Voldie's sake, offing the Malfoys in general may have been a smart move!

Quote:
. That's great!

Old October 23rd, 2006, 9:37 am
MODLY CREW

It's interesting that most people here seem to think that Lucius is on good terms with Bella. I thought about this a lot and I'm in two minds about this. Bella is of course Lucius' sister in law and they are both Death Eaters. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean that they are close. Peter is a Death Eater and nobody is friends with him. Bella also killed her own cousin. What really makes me suspicious is that Bella was in Azkaban while Lucius wasn't. I would think that she bears a grudge for him not being loyal. Lucius could consider his wife's fanatic sister a liability who endagers his personal plotting. This is of course speculation, there is no canon for either interpretation since we've never seen them talking to each other in private.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 3:17 pm
Until the very end

Quote:
  4. What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange?
1. I think he's loyal to himself, and he is on Voldemort's side because it gives him power.
2. He knew it was something that could cause some trouble at Hogwarts, but I don't believe he knew it was a bit of Voldemort's soul. If he knew, he wouldn't have done what he did, because it would be like delivering a bit of Voldemort directly to Dumbledore's hands.
3. I don't really think he is. He doesn't love Draco (IMO), he just 'trains' him to follow his footsteps and become a powerful man in the future. I believe he does this just to keep the Malfoy name up high, something like keeping 'the tradition' alive.
4. I don't think he's in good terms with Bellatrix, but he's far too intelligent to show this openly.
5. I believe he did.
6. He will definitely appear in Book 7, but I don't know if he will break out from Azkaban. He's safer there at this moment, because he's not really on Voldy's good side right now.
7. I don't think so. I don't think he would face Voldemort; he would know he has no chance of winning. Besides, we still don't know what will happen with Draco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron
It's interesting that most people here seem to think that Lucius is on good terms with Bella. I thought about this a lot and I'm in two minds about this. Bella is of course Lucius' sister in law and they are both Death Eaters. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean that they are close. Peter is a Death Eater and nobody is friends with him. Bella also killed her own cousin. What really makes me suspicious is that Bella was in Azkaban while Lucius wasn't. I would think that she bears a grudge for him not being loyal. Lucius could consider his wife's fanatic sister a liability who endagers his personal plotting. This is of course speculation, there is no canon for either interpretation since we've never seen them talking to each other in private.
I think they respect each other, because they both belong to Voldemort's inner circle, but they (IMO) are in some kind of competence; they're trying to show Voldemort who's the most loyal. I think Bella is winning right now, but we'll have to wait for Book 7 to know what will happen with them.

The stories we love best do live in us forever,
so whether you come back by page or by the big screen,
Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 4:04 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Himself and his family, no doubt about that. He will always go to the side which gives him more profit. He does believe in the general ideas of course, purebloods, etc, but he is in for himself.
Quote:
He thought it was a device with Voldemorts memory to open the Chamber of Secrets again. He didn't know it was a horcrux.
Quote:
Hmm, tricky question. I would say he loves his son, even if he isn't that much the man to show feelings. He pressures Draco a lot, for example when he tells him that he should be ashamed that a mudblood is better than him in every class. He shows Draco his own values (which from Lucius point of view is a good thing). He protects Draco, and he is revengeful to anybody who harms Draco. (Buckbeak, Hagrid). Well, I guess that he is a good father from a Malfoy point of view. But if we disagree generally on the pureblood idea and the superiority than he is not.
Quote:
Well, he's in for himself. He wouldn't have died to get the prophecy, that is clear.

Quote:
I don't think that he will escape by himself. Maybe Voldemort will free him now (after all Draco did help to kill Dumbledore). But I don't see Lucius chosing Voldemort over his son and wife. If they are endangered he will try to find a solution, even if this means to turn away from Voldemort.
Quote:
Voldemort used Draco to punish Lucius. Will Lucius try to take revenge for his son?
Not yet. But he will not be amused about it. His family is more important than Voldemort, I am pretty sure about that.

Quote:
It's interesting that most people here seem to think that Lucius is on good terms with Bella. I thought about this a lot and I'm in two minds about this. Bella is of course Lucius' sister in law and they are both Death Eaters.
I never thought they were in specially good terms. Bella despises everybody who did not suffer in Askaban during Vapormort times. Lucius chose the easy way, he denied Voldemort, she is a fanatic and doesn't understand it.
Also the comment in Spinners end, when Bella blames Lucius for the fiasko, makes me think that they were not on too good terms. Maybe Bellatrix was jealous that Lucius got the leadership in the ministry mission, and not herself.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies