Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Dudley "Big D" Dursley: Character Analysis

Old October 5th, 2006, 4:50 pm
Unspeakable

Dudley "Big D" Dursley: Character Analysis

Oh Ickle Dudleykins, what can be said about you sweetums? You excelled at Harry hunting, breaking your toys and hitting things with your Smeltings stick when you were younger, and later you channeled those talents into a more organized sport to become Inter-School Boxing Champion of the South East. We're all very proud popkin. Anyway, Harry's cousin does provide a lot of comic relief, but he's also responsible for a lot of Harry's childhood misery. That being said though, maybe he can't be blamed so much, and maybe he's got some miseries of his own.

1. When Dumbledore goes to get Harry at the Dursleys' he tells them he's glad Harry's escaped the "appaling damage" they've done to Dudley. It's clear that Vernon and Petunia spoil their Dinky Diddydums, but what exactly does Dumbledore mean? Is Dudley's treatment at home all there is to blame for his bad behaviors? What it is doing to his emotional health, if anything?

2. We know from Harry's experience that Dementors can make really bad memories come back up to the front of someone's mind. When Dudley's attacked by the Dementors in OoTP, he has a pretty strong reaction to it, possibly meaning he was reliving some horrible memory. But Duddy gets everything he wants and has very doting parents who let him get away with anything, and he never really shows any signs of wanting anything else. So, assuming he was remembering a bad memory, what could it be and what could that tell us about his actual feelings, if anything at all?

3. Harry and the Dursleys obviously see Dudley in two different lights. The Dursleys see a misunderstood baby angel who is always falsely accused and never does anything wrong, and Harry sees "Big D" who is the leader of a gang of boys who smoke, vandalize and beat up younger kids. We know the Dursleys are biased, but because we see everything from Harry's perspective, Harry's bias towards Dudley may be present but not always obvious to us. Is it? If so, which view is more accurate? If not, why do you think that?

4. If we see enough of Dudley in book 7 to notice, do you think he'll have changed in any way?

Please remember that all criticism should be constructive. It's okay if you dislike Dudley, but you have to state your reasons politely and make sure your post contributes to the discussion.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; October 12th, 2006 at 8:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2006, 2:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Dudley "Big D" Dursley: Character Analysis

1. When Dumbledore goes to get Harry at the Dursleys' he tells them he's glad Harry's escaped the "appaling damage" they've done to Dudley. It's clear that Vernon and Petunia spoil their Dinky Diddydums, but what exactly does Dumbledore mean? Is Dudley's treatment at home all there is to blame for his bad behaviors? What it is doing to his emotional health, if anything?

I think the damage to his physical health is pretty obvious too! It can't be good for a teenage boy to resemble a young whale! The trouble with giving your child everything he wants means that he will get a rude awakening in the real world. The Dursleys have done nothing to nprepare Dudley for life - poor parenting.
2. We know from Harry's experience that Dementors can make really bad memories come back up to the front of someone's mind. When Dudley's attacked by the Dementors in OoTP, he has a pretty strong reaction to it, possibly meaning he was reliving some horrible memory. But Duddy gets everything he wants and has very doting parents who let him get away with anything, and he never really shows any signs of wanting anything else. So, assuming he was remembering a bad memory, what could it be and what could that tell us about his actual feelings, if anything at all

Interesting - I'm not surprised this topic has whole threads devoted to it. You'd think his worst memory would be when his Knickerbocker Glory wasn't big enough or something like that but evidently something really nasty has happened to Dudley at some time. I'll bet Petunia & Vernon don't know what it is! I can only assume it is something that happened at school as Big D seems to have everything his own way in Little Whinging.

3. Harry and the Dursleys obviously see Dudley in two different lights. The Dursleys see a misunderstood baby angel who is always falsely accused and never does anything wrong, and Harry sees "Big D" who is the leader of a gang of boys who smoke, vandalize and beat up younger kids. We know the Dursleys are biased, but because we see everything from Harry's perspective, Harry's bias towards Dudley may be present but not always obvious to us. Is it? If so, which view is more accurate? If not, why do you think that?

Harry has the advantage of seeing Dudley outside the home environment whereas his parents don't. They only hear reports which they don't want to believe firstly because they might have to believe that their little Duddykins isn't the angel they have always made him out to be and secondly because they might have to admit responsibility for rearing such a monster. Harry may well be biased but he does see Big D with the gang and hear them being nasty to little kids.

4. If we see enough of Dudley in book 7 to notice, do you think he'll have changed in any way?

I hope he'll finally have lost weight! He is changing anyway - in the first book he was a spineless spoilt brat but now he has something positive we can say about him in that he's the school boxing champ and that takes more than just weight. Of course he has also become the local gang leader and bully so that's not so positive! I don't see Dudley ever turning out any nicer and I don't think he'll ever have much time for Harry - it would be going against everything he has ever been taught.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 15th, 2006, 2:31 am
Superman

I'm glad someone finally posted here, I was feeling bad for Big D

Old October 15th, 2006, 3:25 am
Fifth Year

I think that he is just referring to the fact that he is spoiled. If Harry was spoiled it would be much harder to fight Voldemort.

2. We know from Harry's experience that Dementors can make really bad memories come back up to the front of someone's mind. When Dudley's attacked by the Dementors in OoTP, he has a pretty strong reaction to it, possibly meaning he was reliving some horrible memory. But Duddy gets everything he wants and has very doting parents who let him get away with anything, and he never really shows any signs of wanting anything else. So, assuming he was remembering a bad memory, what could it be and what could that tell us about his actual feelings, if anything at all?
I was under the impression that Dementors invoked fears and memories in humans. If this is the case, I think that Dudley's worst fear would be Harry using magic on him. This would be supported by how scared Dudley was in OotP when the lights went out.

I think that Harry's view is more accurate, because there is actually canon to support it. The Dursley's don't have any proof that he is a mis-understood baby angel, Harry does have proof that he is the leader of a gang of hoodlums.

No.

Last edited by shmcminn; March 3rd, 2007 at 1:08 am.
Old October 17th, 2006, 6:17 am
Second Year

They've damaged Dudley beyond belief by indulging his every whim. I agree that he is in for a rude awakening if he ever lives on his own or has to work a job. He's so used to having his parents at his beck and call all the time. He witnessed them mistreating Harry and treating himself like gold. His emotional health is skewed because of this too. He thinks it's alright to treat people like that. Not to mention his physical health is compromised because he has been allowed continue his bad eating habits. I think that Dudley's bad behaviors can be entirely attributed to his treatment at home.

Everyone has unpleasant memories. His just aren't as bad as others, but it doesn't mean they are not traumatic for him. I'm not sure what I mean by this. Anyway it could have something to do with magic because he has been taught to fear and hate it. It might actually have been when Hagrid gave him a pig tail or any other otherworldly occurance that happened while Harry was around.

I trust Harry's judgement a lot more. I think he is more worldly and after being away from the situation while at school he can come back and offer a less biased opinion.
He's seen Dudley's bad behavior first hand and often been the recipient of it. He puts on an act for his parents, so they aren't going to see the truth anyway. They will always want to keep this image of angel Dudley and they don't mind deluding themselves one bit.

I don't know. There's always room for improvement. Growing up can mature a person. I think it will take Dudley a little bit longer than the average joe though. For the most part his personality isn't going to change, and I don't see that he has seen a sufficient reason why it should as of yet. I also don't see it as being all that relevant to the remaining plot line. But who knows?

Old October 17th, 2006, 6:35 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardtoImagine View Post
Everyone has unpleasant memories. His just aren't as bad as others, but it doesn't mean they are not traumatic for him. I'm not sure what I mean by this. Anyway it could have something to do with magic because he has been taught to fear and hate it. It might actually have been when Hagrid gave him a pig tail or any other otherworldly occurance that happened while Harry was around.
This is a great point! Actually, either the pig tail incident, or the Ton-Tongue-Toffee incident could be a very nasty memory for Dudley. The first required him to get surgery at a Muggle hospital, the second must have been very scary and painful.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 17th, 2006, 1:39 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius
Actually, either the pig tail incident, or the Ton-Tongue-Toffee incident could be a very nasty memory for Dudley. The first required him to get surgery at a Muggle hospital, the second must have been very scary and painful.
Then he also has memories of all those incidents from before Harry went to Hogwarts - Harry growing his hair back every time the Dursleys cut it, Dudley chasing Harry only to find he's turned up on the roof in the blink of an eye, seemingly having a snake sicced on him on his birthday... Coupled with an ingrained fear of everything unnatural, with particular emphasis on magic, it wouldn't be surprising that these events marked Dudley quite a bit.

Old October 17th, 2006, 4:03 pm
Second Year

I really don't like Dudley, but then again I don't think many people do - were not meant to.

Quote:
Dudley has always gotten aways with everything. He has never had to do a chore in his life and got exactly what he wanted when he wanted it and if he didn't get it all he had to do was to pretend to cry. He's not prepared for the real world and his weight will cause him severe problems when he's older - there are soooo many terrible obesity-realated diseases. Even if he lost the weight the problems may still occur and then there's all that excess skin that's not going to be pretty.
Harry had to do everything. He had to fend for himself and while the treatment that was inflicted on him may have been terrible it at least prepared him for what lay ahead.

Quote:
2. ...Dementors can make really bad memories come back up to the front of someone's mind... Duddy gets everything he wants... So, assuming he was remembering a bad memory, what could it be and what could that tell us about his actual feelings, if anything at all?
It could be the tail that he was inflicted with in that hut when Hagrid collected him or the Ton-Tongue tofee. As much as Dudley likes to inflict pain - the bullying so-and-so that he is - I don't think he's very good at being on the recieving end i.e. he's a wimp.

Quote:
3. Harry and the Dursleys obviously see Dudley in two different lights...a misunderstood baby angel .. and Harry sees "Big D" who is the leader of a gang of boys who smoke, vandalize and beat up younger kids. We know the Dursleys are biased, but because we see everything from Harry's perspective, Harry's bias towards Dudley may be present but not always obvious to us. Is it? If so, which view is more accurate? If not, why do you think that?
The Dursley's have their won opinion about their son and refuse to see anything else. Look at how Petunia called Dudley's obesity 'puppy-fat' and kept the fridge loaded with junk until they couldn't sweep the school nurses comments away - it's the same in every other regard. They are simply and stupidly ignoring the real Dudley.
Harry sees what Dudley is really liek outside the home - the vandalism, bullying etc. It's amazing that he gets away with it to be honest.

Quote:
No. He might be a little thinner but Dudley is Dudley and he's not about to make any serious changes.

Last edited by squibpott; October 17th, 2006 at 4:06 pm.
Old October 17th, 2006, 6:51 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
If we see enough of Dudley in book 7 to notice, do you think he'll have changed in any way?
I just picked that question, because I love it the most. I actually doubt, but nontheless still wonder, if Dudley will change a bit after Dumbledore's words. He's of course not the smartest guy and it probably needs more to change his life (), but as we know every meeting of a wizard impressed Dudley a lot and had influence on his actions for years.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 18th, 2006, 4:28 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I just picked that question, because I love it the most. I actually doubt, but nontheless still wonder, if Dudley will change a bit after Dumbledore's words. He's of course not the smartest guy and it probably needs more to change his life (), but as we know every meeting of a wizard impressed Dudley a lot and had influence on his actions for years.
I don't know that "impressed" is the word I'd use!! Dudley has found most of his encounters with wizards pretty traumatic ever since the pig tail.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 18th, 2006, 8:19 am
Third Year

1. When Dumbledore goes to get Harry at the Dursleys' he tells them he's glad Harry's escaped the "appaling damage" they've done to Dudley. It's clear that Vernon and Petunia spoil their Dinky Diddydums, but what exactly does Dumbledore mean?
Dumbldore meant he is being abused mentally. He will grow up thinking that everything belongs to him and if it breaks he will get a new one. It's a wonder he ever got over Harry getting his 2nd room in Cos. evrything is not given to you a silver plater, you have to work for it, and some people have to work even harder. He has never learnt this because of all the stuff Petunia and Vernon have done to him, not for him.
Is Dudley's treatment at home all there is to blame for his bad behaviors?
I think so, If he was brought up to appreciate things more and was rewarded for good behavor instead of bad, I doubt he would have started his own gang. He wants people to bow down and kiss his feet, that's what we learn in Ootp with his gang. He has these guys do all his dirty work, I wouldn't be surprised if he did this his whole life. He is even bulling his "friends".
What it is doing to his emotional health, if anything?
It's turning him into a nasty spiteful adult. He will think the world revolves around him and everyone should be bowing to his every need. he will get a rude wake up when he gets into the real world.

I don't think it was anything major, probebely when he lost his room to Harry in Cos, or when he feel through the glass to the snake in Ps/Ss. I'm sure he is really scared of what Harry is capable of, when he turns 17 he is free to do magic when ever he wants. Now I think about it that could have been what Dudley was afraid of. I'm now what I'm trying to say, just bare with me . His feelings are probebely fear more than anything.

3. Harry and the Dursleys obviously see Dudley in two different lights. The Dursleys see a misunderstood baby angel who is always falsely accused and never does anything wrong, and Harry sees "Big D" who is the leader of a gang of boys who smoke, vandalize and beat up younger kids. We know the Dursleys are biased, but because we see everything from Harry's perspective, Harry's bias towards Dudley may be present but not always obvious to us. Is it?
Harry's view is spot on, we may only see it through him, however I know a spoilt kid when I see one, so does Harry. The Dursley's over indulgde him and make him feel like his king. This in turn has made him think he is king, that's why his the leader of his gang.
If so, which view is more accurate? If not, why do you think that?
Harry's view is what everyone would be thinking as soon as they met him, even Dumbledore knew about how dudley was treated by Petunia and Vernon.

I don't think so, I doubt he will ever change, maybe if he goes to university it might snap out of him, but's who's to say he would even go to uni.

Old October 18th, 2006, 8:48 am
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I don't know that "impressed" is the word I'd use!! Dudley has found most of his encounters with wizards pretty traumatic ever since the pig tail.
'Traumatic' fits it probably better. But in case of Dumbledore I wanted to get the line that JK maybe ever uses some kind of Dudley being (ahem *still lack for a word*) impressed by every things wizards did or said. So he maybe changes indeed a bit of his behaviour in 7. Or, actually a bit sad, begins at least to recognize who Harry is and what he did with his life.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 24th, 2006, 1:13 am
I want to believe

I’d say Dumbledore is talking about the degree to which they spoil Dudley and give him everything he wants because of how Dudley behaves when he doesn’t get what he wants. A good parent would ignore a child’s tantrums and not give the child what they want if it’s not good for them or if it would spoil them too much. There is a point where a parent has to say “no”, and I think the Dursleys either don’t know how to say no or just don’t want to. And in doing that they aren’t preparing Dudley for the real world, where a person can’t always get what s/he wants. Insofar as Dudley’s emotional health is concerned, his parents’ overindulging him could likely result in him displaying violence if he doesn’t get what he wants in a real life situation.

2. So, assuming he was remembering a bad memory, what could it be and what could that tell us about his actual feelings, if anything at all?
This is one of the questions I’ve really been wondering about. It seems like a paradox that Dudley could have such a bad memory if he has been doted on for so long by his parents. Perhaps it was something that happened at school, as horcrux4 said, although HardtoImagine also has a good suggestion with the various bits of magic that have been performed on him.

Though Harry is biased, I think his view of Dudley is more or less accurate. He sees what Dudley tries to hide from his parents, namely the gang behavior, vandalism and bullying. I agree with horcrux4 that his parents choose to be in denial about Dinky Duddums’ behavior in school because they don’t want to take responsibility for raising him and because they don’t want to believe that he’d act in a negative manner.

Honestly, I don’t think we’ll really see that much of him in book 7 beyond tying up some lose ends regarding his worst memory. But it’s possible we could see some small change in him, though I doubt he’ll change in any major way.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 24th, 2006, 5:51 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

The Appalling Damage: When Dumbledore says that, I don't think he means Dudder's weight problem - that's really just a symptom of the overindulgence shown by his parents. Eventually, Dudley lost weight - through his diet imposed in GoF, but that doesn't change him inside -where the real damage is. The fact is, the Dursleys have raised a boy who only thinks of himself, and they've turned a blind eye to the problems this has caused - they are especially blind about the effect of this indulgence on Harry, whose happiness has been sacrificed so that Dudders will always get his way. And when they do say "No" to Dudley, as when Harry gets his second bedroom, a tantrum occurs because Dudley acts immaturely and with no thought for how Harry must feel.

In GoF, we have this passage, that really explains what is wrong with Dudley, as noted by Dumbledore ~ his parents turn a blind eye to every flaw, and never hold him responsible for anything:

GoF, Chapter 3

Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia had managed to find excuses for his bad marks as usual: Aunt Petunia always insisted that Dudley was a very gifted boy whose teachers didn't understand him, while Vernon maintained "that he didn't want some swotty nancy boy for a son anyway." They also skated over the accusations of bullying in the report -- "He's a boisterous little boy, but he wouldn't hurt a fly!" Aunt Petunia said tearfully.

By OotP, Dudley is quickly becoming a local delinquent:

OotP, Chapter 1The Dursleys really were astonishingly stupid about their son., Dudley; they had swallowed all his dim-witted lies about having tea with a different member of his gang every night of the summer holidays. Dudley had not been to tea anywhere; he and his gang spent every evening vandalizing the play park, smoking on street corners, and throwing stones at passing cars and children. . . .

I think JKR does a good job in showing a marked progression of Dudley from a spoiled child to a bully, and then a near-criminal. It's a parallel to Draco, only JKR has pointed out that Draco is just a more intelligent type of bully, but also an over-indulged child.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old October 24th, 2006, 6:19 am
First Year

do you people not remember what dd had said about dudley?he meant that if you provide your son a lot and deprive him of struggle and decipline ,you will destroy him like an over fed house plant.

Old October 24th, 2006, 6:45 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriussss View Post
do you people not remember what dd had said about dudley?he meant that if you provide your son a lot and deprive him of struggle and decipline ,you will destroy him like an over fed house plant.
Disrespectful comments about other members's reasoning are not allowed.

Old October 24th, 2006, 7:46 am
Second Year

umm..wow u people stole all of my opinions .....so...emm.....I AGREE

Old October 31st, 2006, 2:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

It occurs to me that Dudley's upbringing and Draco Malfoy's have a lot in common. Both have been spoiled rotten by their parents, both have been brought up with the idea of their superiority to everyone else. Both have turned into bullies, largely mental in Draco's case and physical in Dudley's. I was just wondering - do you suppose that Dudley would have become a Death Eater if he'd been a wizard? It would have given him a clear field to do what he likes most - hurting people smaller than him (which is most of the population!) And how would Vernon and Petunia have explained that away to themselves as they don't really believe Dudley is vicious?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 31st, 2006, 2:24 am
Trelawney's Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4
It occurs to me that Dudley's upbringing and Draco Malfoy's have a lot in common. Both have been spoiled rotten by their parents, both have been brought up with the idea of their superiority to everyone else. Both have turned into bullies, largely mental in Draco's case and physical in Dudley's. I was just wondering - do you suppose that Dudley would have become a Death Eater if he'd been a wizard? It would have given him a clear field to do what he likes most - hurting people smaller than him (which is most of the population!) And how would Vernon and Petunia have explained that away to themselves as they don't really believe Dudley is vicious?
There's a lot of variables that would have to be cleared up before dtermining whether Dudley would have been a Death Eater or not...

First off: Would Vernon be a Death Eater?
-I don't think so, his character seems to be more akin to the Blacks, who, according to Sirius in OotP, thought Voldemort had the right idea - but they never became Death Eaters themselves.

I feel that if and only if Vernon had been a Death Eater and had pressured Dudley into it would he have joined.

Dudley seems a bit of a coward to me who covers it up with bullying (typical of any bully). I don't think he'd be courageous enough to join the Death Eaters.

Old November 1st, 2006, 5:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverLore View Post

Dudley seems a bit of a coward to me who covers it up with bullying (typical of any bully). I don't think he'd be courageous enough to join the Death Eaters.
I'm not sure about that. The DEs that we know seem like bullies at best (psychotic killers at worst!) and it would just be being part of a bigger gang.

I agree with your opinion of Vernon's take on the DEs though.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies