Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis



 
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:37 pm
Essbee's Avatar
Essbee  Female.gif Essbee is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 6060 days
Location: UK
Age: 33
Posts: 1,010
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Firstly, I have to say that I love Tonks. She's one of my favourite characters. She's just... awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
[*]Tonks is unique in the fact that she's a Metamorphmagus, which are extremely rare. How has her morphing ability helped her career and the Order? We've seen her morphing in action---changing features, hair color, and even heights---but we've only ever seen her morph into female characters within the books. Can she morph into the form of a man or is her morphing capability limited to her own gender?
I'd think she probably can change into a man, but just wouldn't want to. After all, I don't think I'd want to be man-looking. No offence to guys, but that'd just be wierd!

Quote:
[*]We see Tonks trip over stuff, bump into things, knock things over, and apologizing profusely for her clumsiness, yet oddly, her acts of clumsiness always appear to occur in front of Remus. Was Tonks naturally clumsy or was it evidence of a hidden crush for Remus {much as Ginny was clumsy only in front of Harry}?
Aw, Tonks/Lupin. She tells Harry that she failed Stealth and Concealment (or something like that) at the start of OotP and I don't think she'd have any reason to lie to Harry. She's just met him, after all. So I think she really is clumsy, but maybe being around Remus makes it worse.

Quote:
[*]How do you feel about the Remus/Tonks relationship?
Oh, I love it. Tonks needs someone calm to offset her personality. And Remus deserves to be happy. Also, I think someone a little bit... different would suit Remus; he was a Marauder after all!

Quote:
[*]How do you see their relationship progressing in Book 7?
Well, I've heard a rumour about there being two weddings in book seven. I would love the book to end with Remus and Tonks' wedding. That would make me smile a lot.


__________________
* Snape-Be-Gone: A valuable addition to any thread! *

My fics: My Lilyflower (a James/Lily fic)
Tiger Lily (a James/Lily sequel)
Hermione Granger's Diary: Hermione a la Bridget Jones!


Harry Ginny ... Tonks Remus ... Hermione Ron
Fear my armada, for it is strong and mighty...
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old November 5th, 2006, 3:47 am
harp230's Avatar
harp230  Female.gif harp230 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5941 days
Location: somewhere else
Age: 39
Posts: 746
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

And why does Kreacher not take orders from her, even though she's a member of the Black family?
Well she was never on the tapestry. Her mom was taken off so that part of the family tree never existed, so to speak. She has never been accepted as a family member. That would be why sirius can give orders, because eventhough he is off the tree, he was at one time accepted in the family, unlike Tonks.


  #23  
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:49 am
gertiekeddle's Avatar
gertiekeddle  Female.gif gertiekeddle is offline
Eldest Gruff
 
Joined: 5109 days
Location: Öelda, et sinust ma hoolin
Age: 42
Posts: 5,235
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by harp230 View Post
And why does Kreacher not take orders from her, even though she's a member of the Black family?
Well she was never on the tapestry. Her mom was taken off so that part of the family tree never existed, so to speak. She has never been accepted as a family member. That would be why sirius can give orders, because eventhough he is off the tree, he was at one time accepted in the family, unlike Tonks.
That's true and likely. Nonetheless Sirius managed to make Harry a heir of Grimmauld 12 including Kreacher. I guess he used a special magic here, but I still wonder a bit why Bella would have been able maybe to rule about Kreacher, but Tonks not. But maybe the Order were wrong with it's fear of Bella.


__________________
(Avatar by Alfonzo)


I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
  #24  
Old November 9th, 2006, 5:33 pm
BabyWerewolf's Avatar
BabyWerewolf  Female.gif BabyWerewolf is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4756 days
Location: The Lunatic Cafe
Age: 28
Posts: 600
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
That's true and likely. Nonetheless Sirius managed to make Harry a heir of Grimmauld 12 including Kreacher. I guess he used a special magic here, but I still wonder a bit why Bella would have been able maybe to rule about Kreacher, but Tonks not. But maybe the Order were wrong with it's fear of Bella.
They were afraid Bella had inherited the house, weren't they? Presumably while Sirius was around, Kreacher would have had to obey Sirius over her.
As has been said, Tonks is not on the tree, and she wasn't going to inherit Grimmauld Place or Kreacher.


  #25  
Old November 9th, 2006, 6:52 pm
Kharina Kharina is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4705 days
Posts: 245
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
"Wotcher"

We get our first look at Tonks in Order of the Phoenix. Part of the Advance Guard who'd come to collect Harry from Privet Drive, Tonks is younger than the others, with brightly colored hair, a not so shy personality, and a tendancy towards clumsiness. A couple of questions to start the discussion off:
  • She's the daughter of the Muggleborn, Ted Tonks, and Andromeda Black, cousin of Sirius. Her childhood was spent with knowledge that Sirius was a bad guy, locked away in Azkaban. Did this affect her decision to become an Auror and join the Order of the Phoenix? How did she react upon learning that Sirius was innocent? Has she told her mum and dad? And why does Kreacher not take orders from her, even though she's a member of the Black family?
  • Tonks is unique in the fact that she's a Metamorphmagus, which are extremely rare. How has her morphing ability helped her career and the Order? We've seen her morphing in action---changing features, hair color, and even heights---but we've only ever seen her morph into female characters within the books. Can she morph into the form of a man or is her morphing capability limited to her own gender?
  • A young Auror and Order member, how has she handled those responsibilities? Has the Ministry of Magic---specifically Rufus Scrimgeour---sought to punish her for aiding Dumbledore during Fudge's last year as Minister?
  • We've seen Tonks as a guard in the Order, as an Auror assigned to guard students in Hogsmeade...how else has she helped and what role will she play in the final book?
  • Dead Clumsy Tonks:
    We see Tonks trip over stuff, bump into things, knock things over, and apologizing profusely for
    her clumsiness, yet oddly, her acts of clumsiness always appear to occur in front of Remus.
    • Was Tonks naturally clumsy or was it evidence of a hidden crush for Remus
      {much as Ginny was clumsy only in front of Harry}?
    • How do you feel about the Remus/Tonks relationship?
    • How do you see their relationship progressing in Book 7?
Please remember this is a discussion thread and any criticism of the character should be constructive. There will be no character bashing, and posts considered to be bashing may be deleted by staff.
1) I don't know whether it affected her decision to become an Auror. Part of her childhood was spent during VoldWar 1, and this may have influenced her, especially as, through Sirius, she may have had contact with Order members. As Sirius says Andromeda is his "favourite cousin" they were likely to have had some contact. I think she might always have thought of the possibility Sirius was innocent: after all, Andromeda knew him all his life and knew how much he hated the values of the Blacks, so it surely must have seemed odd to her that he would be on Voldemort's side. It's the way I see it anyway. Andromeda might always have thought he could have been innocent, and transferred this idea to Tonks. I guess she was very pleased to find out he was innocent: after all, bar her parents she has no extended family that are also wizards. Having a cousin within the Order of the Phoenix, someone who understands the magical world and what she's going through, but is not too close to her like her parents, was probably something that was very helpful to her.

I hope she's told her mum and dad: I can't imagine why she wouldn't.

I don't think Kreacher takes orders from her because she actually officially isn't a member of the Black family. Although Sirius has been disowned, he was put on the tapestry and then blasted off, rather than never being put on, like I imagine is the case with Nymphadora. Plus, she makes a huge effort to be more of a Tonks than a Black.

2) Her Metamorphmagus abilities have certainly helped in disguise, she tells us this much herself. I can imagine they'd be helpful for the Order.

However, I don't think she can change her own gender. She certainly won't, so I don't think we will ever find this out for sure.

3) Maybe not punish her, but certainly to place her well out of the way of the Ministry, protecting the Hogwarts' students rather than working withing the Ministry.

4) I don't think it was evidence of a hidden crush for Remus. It might have enhanced her clumsiness but she always had it. I say this because it's her only physical flaw: as far as we know her Metamorphmagi abilities allow her to change anything else about her body she is unhappy with. Her clumsiness is the signature of her character, in a way.

One interesting thing about Tonks (I apologise if this has been said before, but I don't have time to read the whole thread!) is the amount she tries to distance herself from her Black relatives. She absolutely does not want to be a Black. The first evidence we see of this choice is that she will only be called by her surname, not her first name, which we know was given by her mother and sounds a very Black sort of name. She'll tolerate it from Dumbledore, but she hates her equals to call her this. She also chooses non-natural tones of hair colour: violet at first, and then pink. How many other witches and wizards have we seen who, in effect, dye their hair a vibrant colour like that? I don't recall any. It seems very much to be Muggle culture. I wonder if she doesn't really make an effort to correct her clumsiness because being elegant and graceful like the Blacks seem to be is something she really, really does not want to be.


  #26  
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:30 am
dobby_rocks  Female.gif dobby_rocks is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5939 days
Location: St. Louis
Age: 36
Posts: 1,631
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

I don’t Tonks clumsiness had anything do with Remus in fact I don’t think its far fetched to say they were a couple during some time in OOTP, just Harry didn’t know about it so we didn’t know about it. Their actual my favorite couple and I’m not a big shipper if one at all. To me Tonks and Lupin they just fit. If both survive the war I think they’ll get married.

I do wonder why Kreacher did not listen to Tonks. Sirius says it must be because she isn’t on the family tree, Andromeda was blasted off for marrying Ted Tonks, thus Tonks never was put on the tree. However Kreacher refers to George and Fred as Young Master, but they nor any of the Weaslys are on the tree, and Tonks is a closer blood relation to the Blacks then the Weaslys, Sirius said Arthur was like his 2nd cousin once removed or something. Sirius also said Kreacher is suppose to do anything anyone in the Black family asks of him, by that if Draco were to see him and ask something of him he would have to do it. This is likely why they sent him to Hogwarts they didn’t want him to go around Bella, even though Harry is his Main master. He could still do things for others in him “Family”

I am really not sure Tonks is trying to distance herself from her Black relations; honestly she probably had little if nothing to do with them growing up so she wouldn’t have to distance herself from them even if she wanted too. As far as her first name well honestly I would probably go by a different name too if Nymadora was my first name. As far as her hair color I think Tonks choosing to have her hair be Pink or some other color. Is more to representing a younger generation so to speak, like when Harry tells Mad Eye that Tonks blends in with muggles just fine on the subway with her pink hair and rock t-shirt. Even in our world tons of people especially young people dye their hair odd colors. Tonks is young she’s only 21 or 22 in OOTP.

Though it seems clear Tonks does not consider the majority of her Black relations family. Which goes both way since they dont consider her kin. In HBP she refers to Draco as the Malfoy boy, when he is actual her first cousin. She also makes no acknowledge in OOTP that she even knows Bellatrix is her Auntie, its goes the other way too Bellatrix makes no indication that she knows Tonks is her niece.


__________________
Anger is our worst enemy. We should only ever get angry at our anger.

Last edited by dobby_rocks; December 4th, 2006 at 10:35 am.
  #27  
Old December 5th, 2006, 3:04 am
Potency's Avatar
Potency  Undisclosed.gif Potency is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5175 days
Posts: 898
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

I read somewhere (maybe in a fanfiction?) that the reason Tonks might be so clumsy is because she's a metamorphmagus. If she's transforming her body frequently (like in OoTP, she transformed to an old lady and a tall, thin woman), then she might be clumsier than most adults. Kids go through a clumsy stage because their bodies are changing. Adults are more graceful because their bodies stay the same. But if Tonks is changing her body often, then it's almost like she's permanently in that clumsy stage. She might just be naturally clumsy, but I really liked that explanation.

As far as distancing herself from the Blacks, I noticed she refers to her first cousin Draco as "The Malfoy boy" in HBP. Obviously she knows who he is, but I wonder if they have ever met. I wonder if Draco would recognize her as his first cousin Nymphadora.


__________________
  #28  
Old December 6th, 2006, 8:21 pm
Kharina Kharina is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4705 days
Posts: 245
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
I am really not sure Tonks is trying to distance herself from her Black relations; honestly she probably had little if nothing to do with them growing up so she wouldn’t have to distance herself from them even if she wanted too. As far as her first name well honestly I would probably go by a different name too if Nymadora was my first name. As far as her hair color I think Tonks choosing to have her hair be Pink or some other color. Is more to representing a younger generation so to speak, like when Harry tells Mad Eye that Tonks blends in with muggles just fine on the subway with her pink hair and rock t-shirt. Even in our world tons of people especially young people dye their hair odd colors. Tonks is young she’s only 21 or 22 in OOTP.
No, she probably had nothing to do with them growing up, I don't see why that has an effect though. I know if my aunt was like Bellatrix and my cousin had a reputation like Sirius' then I'd want to distance myself even though I'd never met them. I wouldn't want to be a Black, even if I was a good Black, because of how horrible that family is. In the same way that just because the Blacks have probably never had much to do with Nymphadora they still want to cut off asscociation with her by blasting her off the tapestry, never speaking of her etc. There are other possible reasons, but I think that by so strongly choosing her surname, her Muggle name, over her Black-like first name, she's basically choosing not to be a Black. I hope that was explained more clearly as I didn't feel you quite understood what I meant in my first post, as you said she isn't trying to distance herself because she had little to do with them, and I wasn't suggesting she did.

Quote:
I do wonder why Kreacher did not listen to Tonks. Sirius says it must be because she isn’t on the family tree, Andromeda was blasted off for marrying Ted Tonks, thus Tonks never was put on the tree. However Kreacher refers to George and Fred as Young Master, but they nor any of the Weaslys are on the tree, and Tonks is a closer blood relation to the Blacks then the Weaslys, Sirius said Arthur was like his 2nd cousin once removed or something. Sirius also said Kreacher is suppose to do anything anyone in the Black family asks of him, by that if Draco were to see him and ask something of him he would have to do it. This is likely why they sent him to Hogwarts they didn’t want him to go around Bella, even though Harry is his Main master. He could still do things for others in him “Family”
I think Kreacher is being sarcastic by calling Fred and George "Young master" he doesn't really mean it he's just showing his resentment for Sirius allowing them to be in the house and making him tolerate it. I think there has to be a limit to how far "family" extends, as everyone is ultimately related to everyone else in the end, however distantly, so Kreacher would have to obey everyone.

Well, if Bellatrix had inherited the house through some magic put on it by the other Blacks then she would also have become Kreacher's main mistress, but yes I think they sent him off to Hogwarts to prevent another situation occuring like the one in HBP where Kreacher goes running off to Narcissa.

Quote:
Though it seems clear Tonks does not consider the majority of her Black relations family. Which goes both way since they dont consider her kin. In HBP she refers to Draco as the Malfoy boy, when he is actual her first cousin. She also makes no acknowledge in OOTP that she even knows Bellatrix is her Auntie, its goes the other way too Bellatrix makes no indication that she knows Tonks is her niece.
Yeah, Tonks never does refer to any of her Black relations as family, probably because they were never family to her. She will know Bellatrix is her aunt probably, but I doubt Bellatrix would recognise her niece. Bellatrix is likely never to have spent much if any time with Nymphadora, and anyway she is a Metamorphmagus. Bellatrix certainly hasn't seen her in 13 years of her body changing from child's to adult's. And she doesn't have her natural appearance anyway, it is constantly changing. I think the only way Bellatrix could have known Tonks was her niece in OOTP when she battles her was if Tonks had mentioned it, which I doubt she would.

Quote:
I read somewhere (maybe in a fanfiction?) that the reason Tonks might be so clumsy is because she's a metamorphmagus. If she's transforming her body frequently (like in OoTP, she transformed to an old lady and a tall, thin woman), then she might be clumsier than most adults. Kids go through a clumsy stage because their bodies are changing. Adults are more graceful because their bodies stay the same. But if Tonks is changing her body often, then it's almost like she's permanently in that clumsy stage. She might just be naturally clumsy, but I really liked that explanation.
That's a really good idea!

Quote:
As far as distancing herself from the Blacks, I noticed she refers to her first cousin Draco as "The Malfoy boy" in HBP. Obviously she knows who he is, but I wonder if they have ever met. I wonder if Draco would recognize her as his first cousin Nymphadora.
I doubt he would: he's unlikely to know what she looks like and besides she's already changing. Also, somehow I don't think that Narcissa will have told her son about Andromeda's betrayal- she probably pretends she's always had just the one sister.


  #29  
Old December 8th, 2006, 1:21 am
hufflepina  Female.gif hufflepina is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5701 days
Location: vittoria - Spain
Age: 38
Posts: 175
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

why tonks decided be an auror?
why lupin? personally I prefer bill or charlie weasley
if tonks close malfoy?
there are some of my doubts


__________________
  #30  
Old December 8th, 2006, 8:42 am
Kharina Kharina is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4705 days
Posts: 245
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufflepina View Post
why tonks decided be an auror?
why lupin? personally I prefer bill or charlie weasley
if tonks close malfoy?
there are some of my doubts
Well, Tonks isn't you, so she does prefer Lupin, and anyway Bill is already engaged to Fleur.

I don't think Tonks is all that close to Malfoy: after all she refers to him as "the Malfoy boy" and gives no indication of any feelings when Harry tells her who broke his nose on the train. For Draco's part, I'm not sure if he's even been told about his cousin, given her mother's disgrace.

Hmm, I too wonder why she decided to be an Auror. It could be again distancing herself from the nastier people in her family, or maybe she's always been interested in defensive magic and has a desire to try and catch Dark wizards and witches. She's old enough to remember the first Voldemort war so perhaps that was a factor in her decision?



Last edited by Kharina; December 10th, 2006 at 4:10 pm. Reason: Thought of some more to say!
  #31  
Old December 10th, 2006, 1:25 am
kingwidgit's Avatar
kingwidgit  Female.gif kingwidgit is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 5314 days
Location: Rockin' the cradle...
Age: 48
Posts: 4,948
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Please use the Forum Rules as a guide to posting. Remember to be polite & respectful of the opinions of fellow forum members.


__________________
  #32  
Old December 10th, 2006, 7:44 pm
Snivelly's Avatar
Snivelly  Female.gif Snivelly is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5242 days
Location: Middle East
Age: 28
Posts: 781
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
She's the daughter of the Muggleborn, Ted Tonks, and Andromeda Black, cousin of Sirius. Her childhood was spent with knowledge that Sirius was a bad guy, locked away in Azkaban. Did this affect her decision to become an Auror and join the Order of the Phoenix? How did she react upon learning that Sirius was innocent? Has she told her mum and dad? And why does Kreacher not take orders from her, even though she's a member of the Black family?
I think Tonks becoming an Auror might have been influenced by plenty of things, like the fact that her mother's "family" was very supportive of the Dark Arts - her aunt was a manic death-eater locked up in Azkaban, her other aunt's husband was another death-eater who was never caught and instead shows a respectable face to the Wizarding World, and then of course, that her mother's cousin was (believed to be) another death-eater sentenced to life in prison for killing 13 muggles and 1 wizard with one spell. When you think about it, the Tonks family must have lived in constant fear when she was young, seeing that her mother had "turned traitor" to the Black family and there would probably be people like Bellatrix who would love to take revenge on these blood-traitors. It could possibly one reason why Tonks decided to become an Auror - with the knowledge that there were still death-eaters around, it would be a good means of self-defence as well as helping to protect her family and others too.

I don't know how close Tonks was to Sirius, but since Sirius refers to Andromeda as his favourite cousin, they must have been rather close (being the two rebels in the family). I can imagine Andromeda being distraught at finding out that Sirius had supported Voldemort all along at the time, so it's possible Tonks probably got this from her mother. I can see how that knowledge would have shocked her, and I can see her brandishing her wand at him at first and asking him to surrender before Dumbledore comes forward and explains the situation. It's a very Tonksy thing to do - she's a very impulsive person.

And somehow, I think that Tonks did gradually reveal to her parents that Sirius is in fact innocent, because she would know that Andromeda would have been very happy to hear that. I don't think she did it instantly, just later on at a time that she felt her mother could take the news.

About Kreacher not taking her orders, it's pretty obvious that she's not considered a member of the Black family since her mother was blasted off the tapestry and her father is muggleborn. Yes, I know that there usually is this magical thing that binds the house-elf but I can see how it doesn't work for Tonks - her blood is "contaminated" somehow (because she's a half-blood) so it could be why she can't order him around. As with Sirius, I think Andromeda could still order Kreacher around though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
Tonks is unique in the fact that she's a Metamorphmagus, which are extremely rare. How has her morphing ability helped her career and the Order? We've seen her morphing in action---changing features, hair color, and even heights---but we've only ever seen her morph into female characters within the books. Can she morph into the form of a man or is her morphing capability limited to her own gender?
Her metamorphosis is something that must have really come in handy in her Auror training, as she said. As far as genders are concerned, I get the feeling that it is possible for her to do so, but she prefers not to as she feels really uncomfortable (who wouldn't? ) and she won't do it unless it's an emergency and or it's extremely important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
A young Auror and Order member, how has she handled those responsibilities? Has the Ministry of Magic---specifically Rufus Scrimgeour---sought to punish her for aiding Dumbledore during Fudge's last year as Minister?
I think she's handling her duties well. Dumbledore wouldn't choose her for the Order (especially for combat and undercover situations) unless she was exceptionally capable and he knows that she is. We haven't seen any pressure of the sort, but it's obvious that anyone siding with Dumbledore wasn't exactly given much support so it's obvious Tonks must have faced some hostility. Unless of course, she was very discreet about her associations with Dumbledore - somewhat like Mr Weasley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
We've seen Tonks as a guard in the Order, as an Auror assigned to guard students in Hogsmeade...how else has she helped and what role will she play in the final book?
Her ready-made disguises must come very handy and so of course, she serves excellently for undercover missions. We see her guarding a lot of places but I think that she has more to do than that - being an Auror must obviously include guarding places and watching for signs of trouble but her duties must have been expanded a bit under the Order, since the Order was more actively involved in fighting Voldemort than the Ministry (initially, at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
Was Tonks naturally clumsy or was it evidence of a hidden crush for Remus
{much as Ginny was clumsy only in front of Harry}?
No, I doubt it was that. Yes, her clumsiness might have been slightly worse in front of Remus , but since she said that she nearly failed stealth and tracking in her Auror training I see her as a natural klutz and a very humorous, bright and cheerful character indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
How do you feel about the Remus/Tonks relationship?
Three words - I loved it! I had actually started reading some Remus/Tonks fanfiction before HBP came out, but had never actually expected it to happen (though I'm glad it did). Remus certainly deserves a bright, vivacious witch like Tonks who can bring a little colour back into his life and Tonks deserves someone serious and mature enough to see past her extrovertish behaviour. Simply put - they're perfect for each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
How do you see their relationship progressing in Book 7?
I can totally see them getting married in the Epilogue and having lots of multicolour furry werewolf cubs (well, not really. )


  #33  
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:48 am
irmapince  Female.gif irmapince is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4846 days
Location: Weaver's Way
Posts: 436
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

This is part of something I posted in another thread, but it also could fit here.

Tonks' dad Ted caught my attention a while ago. Ted is usually the shortened form of "Theodore." The only other Theodore we see in the books is Theodore Nott, a pure-blood. More significantly, "Theodore" fits in with the Black family naming tradition of using "dore/dora" (masculine and feminine forms of the Greek word "gift), as in Nymphadora, Elladora, Callidora, Dorea, and Doreen.

But what stuck me the most was that Ted's daughter is named "Nymphadora." I want to keep this as "G" rated as possible, but since JKR has ventured into more adult territory (the snogging in HBP, Harry suggesting Merope was expecting and that's why TR Sr. married her, and Morphin calling his sister a "slut") I will do the same and try to stay within those parameters. In Muggle psychology, there is a term for someone who is addicted to being, well, a slut, and the term starts with "Nympho." The slang derived from this is "Nympho" which is synonymous with "slut." Now, why would any sane Muggle-born man allow his daughter to be named Nymphadora when he knows all the boys will call her Nympho? This is the main reason Tonks goes by "Tonks" and calls her mother a fool for naming her Nymphadora. Because when Tonks went to Hogwarts a Muggle-born Wizard might have heard her name and told all the other boys what Nympho means in Muggle slang. It makes sense that Andromeda named Tonks Nymphadora without knowing the Muggle abbreviation slang since Andromeda is a pure-blood and knows nothing about Muggle psychology and the derived slang. But why would Ted, who grew up in Muggle society, allow his daughter to be named Nymphadora if he knew she would be called "Nympho" by all the boys?

This makes me believe that Ted Tonks' parents were pure-blood Squibs and thus Ted is a Muggleborn in that he is the son of non-magical parents. If Ted grew up in the gray zone between the Muggle and Wizarding world, then it is more likely that he knew nothing about Muggle psychology and didn't think anything was wrong with the name Nymphadora. And if one or more of Ted's parents was a Squib from the extended Black family, then Ted being named "Theodore" in the Black family tradition makes sense and moreover Ted agreeing to name his daughter Nymphadora, another name in the Black family tradition, makes more sense.

If Ted's parents were pure-blood Squibs and Andromeda was a pure-blood, then some of Tonks' comments regarding Muggles makes more sense. Tonks remarks that her dad is Muggleborn and is a slob and that the Dursleys are clean for Muggles. People who are of mixed heritage rarely speak of one side of their heritage as being foreign. For example, if someone's father is second generation Japanese American (born in the US, but his parents were born in Japan and emigrated to the US) and their mother Caucasian American, they would not make comments like "my dad is Japanese born and he's a slob" or "they're clean for Japanese people." Besides the insulting nature of the comments, bi-racial people usually have some exposure to both cultures and would treat neither culture as foreign. Tonks attitude towards Muggles as being foreign makes me believe Ted's parents were pure-blood Squibs so Tonks never had any exposure to "true" Muggle culture and thus it is foreign to her.

So while Tonks' dad Ted is Muggleborn, he could be the son of Squibs and thus not a part of true Muggle society.


  #34  
Old December 27th, 2006, 1:57 am
Puchula's Avatar
Puchula  Female.gif Puchula is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5487 days
Location: Buenosayres
Age: 31
Posts: 1,361
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
One of our questions was which house she was sorted into. Her father is a muggle born wizard, and she does not hide this fact, but we are never told explicitly which house she was in. Do you think she was in Slytherin, and if so, was Snape her head of house? If not, which house do you think she was in and why?
Given her family background Slytherin might seem like a possibility, but she doesn't seem that ambitious, nor cunning (she's smart, but she uses her inteligence in a different way). She doesn't seem to have such a thing for books and studying (again, she's smart, but she doesn't seem like a book-worm), so she doesn't look like the Ravenclaw type. Hufflepuff, on the other hand, could be an option, she seems to be fair to everyone and hard-working. And then we've got Gryffindor, being an Order member (and a very brave one) this isn't far-fetched at all. I'm more inclined towards the second given the usual stereotypes in the books, but it'd be an interesting twist to know that she was a Hufflepuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmapince View Post
This makes me believe that Ted Tonks' parents were pure-blood Squibs and thus Ted is a Muggleborn in that he is the son of non-magical parents. If Ted grew up in the gray zone between the Muggle and Wizarding world, then it is more likely that he knew nothing about Muggle psychology and didn't think anything was wrong with the name Nymphadora. And if one or more of Ted's parents was a Squib from the extended Black family, then Ted being named "Theodore" in the Black family tradition makes sense and moreover Ted agreeing to name his daughter Nymphadora, another name in the Black family tradition, makes more sense.

If Ted's parents were pure-blood Squibs and Andromeda was a pure-blood, then some of Tonks' comments regarding Muggles makes more sense. Tonks remarks that her dad is Muggleborn and is a slob and that the Dursleys are clean for Muggles.
I remember when I first read OotP it shocked me the way Tonks talked about his father. Because, even if he's a 'squib-born', daughters don't usually talk like that about their parents. Back then I formed myself the mental picture of Ted Tonks being some sort of Homer Simpson. His name also influenced me, Ted is a very plain, common muggle name.

I got the impression their relationship wasn't too good. Maybe he wasn't a good father, or maybe Andromeda transmited some of her family views of muggles into her daughter. It is evident that Tonks has never lost touch with the Wizarding world and maybe those bonds were stronger than the others. It's true that when you have divided origins you usually don't set preferences between one or the other, but, depending on where and how you were raced, one side might be stronger than the other. Maybe she was raced to be a witch and not much more than that.

It's interesting all you've said about Nymphos. I knew nothing about that, but I don't speak English as a first language and maybe in Spanish is said different. Is it common knowledge among English speakers?


__________________
We have seen stranger things in dreams; and fictions are merely frozen dreams,
linked images with some semblance of structure. They are not to be trusted,
no more than the people who create them. - Neil Gaiman
  #35  
Old December 27th, 2006, 6:26 am
kingwidgit's Avatar
kingwidgit  Female.gif kingwidgit is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 5314 days
Location: Rockin' the cradle...
Age: 48
Posts: 4,948
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Nymphadora is the name.

Nymph/nymphal: the young of an insect that undergoes incomplete metamorphosis.
Dora: gift {derived from Theodore which means 'gift of god'}.

Essentially the name Nymphadora means "metamorphosis gift".

Tonks is a Metamorphmagus, it makes since that her name would announce that---especially in Potterverse.


__________________

Last edited by kingwidgit; December 28th, 2006 at 7:08 am.
  #36  
Old December 27th, 2006, 7:06 am
Spritey's Avatar
Spritey  Female.gif Spritey is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5215 days
Location: The End
Posts: 1,120
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puchula View Post
I remember when I first read OotP it shocked me the way Tonks talked about his father. Because, even if he's a 'squib-born', daughters don't usually talk like that about their parents. Back then I formed myself the mental picture of Ted Tonks being some sort of Homer Simpson. His name also influenced me, Ted is a very plain, common muggle name.

I got the impression their relationship wasn't too good. Maybe he wasn't a good father, or maybe Andromeda transmited some of her family views of muggles into her daughter. It is evident that Tonks has never lost touch with the Wizarding world and maybe those bonds were stronger than the others. It's true that when you have divided origins you usually don't set preferences between one or the other, but, depending on where and how you were raced, one side might be stronger than the other. Maybe she was raced to be a witch and not much more than that.
I've read quite a few different interpretations of Tonks' comments about her dad; it seems that it's one of those areas where opinions differ a lot. I kind of read it as a throwaway comment. To me, Tonks calling her dad a slob didn't really seem bitter or angry on her part - it just read like her usual cheeky attitude, sort of like she is towards Lupin and Mad-Eye. I mean, she called her a mother a fool, too, and I didn't get any malice out of that


__________________
Move on, move on
It's like the clock is pacing
The break of dawn and our hearts are racing
Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
  #37  
Old December 28th, 2006, 5:03 am
Puchula's Avatar
Puchula  Female.gif Puchula is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5487 days
Location: Buenosayres
Age: 31
Posts: 1,361
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
Nymphadora is the name.

Nymph/nymphal: the young of an insect that undergoes incomplete metamorphosis.
Dora: gift {derived from Theodore which means 'gift of god'}.

Essentially the name Nymphadora means "metamophosis gift".

Tonks is a Metamorphmagus, it makes since that her name would announce that---especially in Potterverse.
Thanks king! I had never heard of that interpretation, it fits perfectly. And sounds like the kind of connection JKR would make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
I've read quite a few different interpretations of Tonks' comments about her dad; it seems that it's one of those areas where opinions differ a lot. I kind of read it as a throwaway comment. To me, Tonks calling her dad a slob didn't really seem bitter or angry on her part - it just read like her usual cheeky attitude, sort of like she is towards Lupin and Mad-Eye. I mean, she called her a mother a fool, too, and I didn't get any malice out of that
I didn't remember about her mother... You could be right, she does seem like the kind of person who doesn't take those things too seriously. Although calling your father a slob in front of a stranger can be a little too much, being Tonks it could be...


__________________
We have seen stranger things in dreams; and fictions are merely frozen dreams,
linked images with some semblance of structure. They are not to be trusted,
no more than the people who create them. - Neil Gaiman
  #38  
Old December 29th, 2006, 3:38 pm
EBJ23  Female.gif EBJ23 is offline
Student
 
Joined: 4594 days
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Age: 29
Posts: 927
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

I don't think her calling her father a slob was out of anger either, it's just her way of describing people, even those she loves. I also think it was just an offhand comment, she's not going out of her way to show how she's angry/bitter at her dad/parents.


  #39  
Old December 29th, 2006, 3:56 pm
Kharina Kharina is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4705 days
Posts: 245
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmapince View Post
This is part of something I posted in another thread, but it also could fit here.

Tonks' dad Ted caught my attention a while ago. Ted is usually the shortened form of "Theodore." The only other Theodore we see in the books is Theodore Nott, a pure-blood. More significantly, "Theodore" fits in with the Black family naming tradition of using "dore/dora" (masculine and feminine forms of the Greek word "gift), as in Nymphadora, Elladora, Callidora, Dorea, and Doreen.

But what stuck me the most was that Ted's daughter is named "Nymphadora." I want to keep this as "G" rated as possible, but since JKR has ventured into more adult territory (the snogging in HBP, Harry suggesting Merope was expecting and that's why TR Sr. married her, and Morphin calling his sister a "slut") I will do the same and try to stay within those parameters. In Muggle psychology, there is a term for someone who is addicted to being, well, a slut, and the term starts with "Nympho." The slang derived from this is "Nympho" which is synonymous with "slut." Now, why would any sane Muggle-born man allow his daughter to be named Nymphadora when he knows all the boys will call her Nympho? This is the main reason Tonks goes by "Tonks" and calls her mother a fool for naming her Nymphadora. Because when Tonks went to Hogwarts a Muggle-born Wizard might have heard her name and told all the other boys what Nympho means in Muggle slang. It makes sense that Andromeda named Tonks Nymphadora without knowing the Muggle abbreviation slang since Andromeda is a pure-blood and knows nothing about Muggle psychology and the derived slang. But why would Ted, who grew up in Muggle society, allow his daughter to be named Nymphadora if he knew she would be called "Nympho" by all the boys?

This makes me believe that Ted Tonks' parents were pure-blood Squibs and thus Ted is a Muggleborn in that he is the son of non-magical parents. If Ted grew up in the gray zone between the Muggle and Wizarding world, then it is more likely that he knew nothing about Muggle psychology and didn't think anything was wrong with the name Nymphadora. And if one or more of Ted's parents was a Squib from the extended Black family, then Ted being named "Theodore" in the Black family tradition makes sense and moreover Ted agreeing to name his daughter Nymphadora, another name in the Black family tradition, makes more sense.

If Ted's parents were pure-blood Squibs and Andromeda was a pure-blood, then some of Tonks' comments regarding Muggles makes more sense. Tonks remarks that her dad is Muggleborn and is a slob and that the Dursleys are clean for Muggles. People who are of mixed heritage rarely speak of one side of their heritage as being foreign. For example, if someone's father is second generation Japanese American (born in the US, but his parents were born in Japan and emigrated to the US) and their mother Caucasian American, they would not make comments like "my dad is Japanese born and he's a slob" or "they're clean for Japanese people." Besides the insulting nature of the comments, bi-racial people usually have some exposure to both cultures and would treat neither culture as foreign. Tonks attitude towards Muggles as being foreign makes me believe Ted's parents were pure-blood Squibs so Tonks never had any exposure to "true" Muggle culture and thus it is foreign to her.

So while Tonks' dad Ted is Muggleborn, he could be the son of Squibs and thus not a part of true Muggle society.
I think that's possible, but I have to disagree with the whole theory about the name Nymphadora. Until you discussed this, I didn't know the term either, so it could be neither does Ted. You have to consider that if he is indeed a truly Muggle-born, rather than Squib-born wizard, then he'll have been removed from the Muggle world for most of the year at a magical school from the age of eleven anyway. How many people will know that term by the age of eleven?

Tonks' comments regarding Muggles are a little more mystifying, however. It does seem strange that she actsa bit like Arthur Weasley around Muggle things when all her extended family she's likely to have spent time with are Muggles. Unless Ted's parents were rather like the Dursleys in their dislike of anything magical, although that would be very bad luck for Tonks and her parents: the Blacks won't speak to them because Ted's a muggle-born, and his family don't like them because they're magical. Perhaps Tonks is just trying to make conversation there though- it could just be she's a little awkward when trying to talk to someone she's never met but heard a lot about, who's quite a few years younger than her. However, her behaviour later on gives no indications that this is the case: in fact I'd say the opposite. It really is puzzling!


  #40  
Old December 29th, 2006, 4:40 pm
Sly_Lady's Avatar
Sly_Lady  Female.gif Sly_Lady is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5053 days
Location: L'toile du Nord
Posts: 1,237
Re: Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarapsys View Post
I think Tonks would have been the bane of Snape's professional life for seven years. I can just imagine her accidentally blowing up the dungeon every couple weeks. It would drive him nuts. I don't think she would have hated or feared him like Harry and Neville respectively, though, bc she's so cheerful and light-hearted his criticisms would probably bounce right off. I think she would have just thought of him as a cranky old bat.
I absolutely believe that Tonks was in Slytherin, which would make Professor Snape her head of house. The thought makes me laugh, because as you say, Sarapsys, I think she would've driven him crazy. I can see him saying those words to her about not being prefect material because she lacked the ability to behave herself. I don't see her being devastated by sarcasm, either. I think she'd just laugh and go her way.

Puchula, I'm chuckling over what you said earlier, here:
Quote:
I remember when I first read OotP it shocked me the way Tonks talked about his father. Because, even if he's a 'squib-born', daughters don't usually talk like that about their parents. Back then I formed myself the mental picture of Ted Tonks being some sort of Homer Simpson. His name also influenced me, Ted is a very plain, common muggle name.
That's pretty much the way I read Tonk's description of her dad.

About the romance with Remus? I think he said it best, he's too old for her, he's a werewolf and she could do better. I guess she loves him and they'll probably end up together, but If I were her mum, I'd tell her to take her time, because she's got plenty to offer, and he's not that hot a prospect. (Merely my opinion, please don't stone me!)


__________________
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:33 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.