Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Luna Lovegood: Character Analysis

Old May 16th, 2007, 8:47 pm
Student

Re: Luna Lovegood: Character Analysis

I like Luna a lot. She is on my top list of favorite characters. She is very perceptive and not willing to be suspicious of something just because there is no concrete proof to confirm it.

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 4:29 am
First Year

Luna has always intrigued me. In my mind, Luna is more than what meets the eye. Now what has always intrested me in my mind is in the OotP where Luna explains the death of her mother. It was a pretty vague description, but the fact the mention about a "experiment", makes me wonder.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 8:47 pm
Secret Keeper

A new interview with Evanna Lynch from HarryLatino.com has surfaced, in which she talks about Luna's Patronus.

In the OotP pre-screening reviews, it was stated by viewers that her Patronus was a hare and that Ginny's appeared to be a phoenix. Luna's Patronus is now confirmed by Evanna.

Quote:
And what what about the earrings you are using? Did you made them yourself, like in the movie?

Oh, yes. But J.K.Rowling gave me this one herself [pointing at her silvery necklace with a hare and a moon ("Luna" in Spanish means moon)]

Oh, it's your Patronus!

Yes, the hare!

Because in the trailer it seems more like a horse.
But that's not mine. I don't know who the horse belongs to, but mine it's the hare, I've seen it

Old June 3rd, 2007, 9:01 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
A new interview with Evanna Lynch from HarryLatino.com has surfaced, in which she talks about Luna's Patronus.

In the OotP pre-screening reviews, it was stated by viewers that her Patronus was a hare and that Ginny's appeared to be a phoenix. Luna's Patronus is now confirmed by Evanna.
I'm dead happy about this. I thought the horse belonged to someone else, since the hare seemed to fit so well. Back when we first got the rumours, I looked up symbolism and got this. This quote stuck out:

Quote:
The association of rabbits, hares, and the moon can be found in numerous cultures the world over ranging from Japan to Mexico, from Indonesia to the British Isles. Whereas in Western folklore we refer to the "Man in the Moon," the "Hare (or Rabbit) in the Moon" is a more familiar symbol in other societies. In China, for example, the Hare in the Moon is depicted with a mortar and pestle in which he mixes the elixir of immortality; he is the messenger of a female moon deity and the guardian of all wild animals.
Which really fits, doesn't it? Are we taking this as canon, since it seems Jo approved? I hope we are.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old June 3rd, 2007, 9:48 pm
Secret Keeper

JK has, indirectly, confirmed this Patronus by giving the gift to the actress who portrays the character Luna---that's canon in my book.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:01 pm
She Who Walks Behind

That funny, the first thing I thought about reading that Luna's Patronus is a hare is Sailor Moon. Her real name is Usagi = Bunny and she fight with the power of the moon. Both, Luna and Usagi have the same extroverted character.

wikipediaThe hare in African folk tales is a trickster: some of the stories about the hare were retold among African slaves in America, and are the basis of the Brer Rabbit stories. The hare appears in English folklore in the saying "as mad as a March hare".

I think the hare fits her pretty well.

The End of the Dream.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:16 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidget
JK has, indirectly, confirmed this Patronus by giving the gift to the actress who portrays the character Luna---that's canon in my book.
Makes sense to me. Evanna is so lucky. I do kind of wish she'd ask about Luna's birthday, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI View Post
That funny, the first thing I thought about reading that Luna's Patronus is a hare is Sailor Moon. Her real name is Usagi = Bunny and she fight with the power of the moon. Both, Luna and Usagi have the same extroverted character.

wikipediaThe hare in African folk tales is a trickster: some of the stories about the hare were retold among African slaves in America, and are the basis of the Brer Rabbit stories. The hare appears in English folklore in the saying "as mad as a March hare".

I think the hare fits her pretty well.
Oh, that's awesome. I didn't even think of it that way, even though I know that saying. On a less symbolic note, I can't help but remember that we used to have several pet bunnies when I was younger, and that they all used to have a habit of bugging their eyes out in a rather alarming manner when you went anywhere near them

Move on, move on
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

It's so intriguing that she should give her a necklace with a moon and a hare, because in Indian tradition and folklore, the moon is very prominent, and very significant (a source of coolness, connected with love, etc.), and its pattern is thought to represent a hare. One of the Sanskrit words for moon - shashin - menas "containing a hare".

Old June 22nd, 2007, 7:35 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

Luna's been a very colorful and interesting character since book 5. She believes in 'things as long as there's no proof at all.' Luna's behavior and fashion sense cause others to find her odd, and she marches to the beat of her drum. A few questions to start the discussion:
  • With a permanently surprised look on her face, her butterbeer cork necklace, radish earrings, and wand tucked behind her ear, she gives off a 'distinct air of dottiness'---but is it for real? Or is it a facade? Her voice certainly lost its 'dreamy' quality at Hermione's comment about the Quibbler.
Yep, I guess she's a bit crazy, but not when it comes to people insulting her father's work. I think that's a sense of loyalty there, and she clings on to her beliefs.
  • She's been friends with Ginny, a puplic supporter of Harry, joined the DA; through her father's magazine she got Harry's message out to the wizarding world, and has assisted in the trip to the MoM in book 5. What other ways has she contributed to the story? Will she be of help in the final book and if so, how will she be utilized? Hmm..tough one. She's been quite a comic relief in the books, but an excellent fighter and a very loyal supporter of Harry. Possibly she'll help the Trio with fighting, her displays of loyalty has not failed Harry yet.
  • Luna has the habit of 'speaking the uncomfortable truth'. Where does she get this from, and does she do it as a part of her nature, or is it her way of garnering a reaction from others? Probably, a part of her nature. She's smart, but detached from the human world, so probably is quite blunt.
  • She's one of the few who saw Thestrals like Harry, because she'd lost her mother at an early age. How has this loss affected her, and does it help explain why Luna is the way she is? Obviously one is affected greatly by the loss of one's parent, especially the mother. Hmm...as for the way she is, isn't her father the same, his only sane article being Harry's interview with Rita?
  • She appeared to be the only one besides Harry to hear the whispering behind the veil. What did she hear? Is she right to assume it was the voices of loved ones lost? How is this significant to the theme of death {"There's nothing to fear in death" & "Death is just the next great adventure"} ? I suppose she might hear her mother's voice? Yeah, crazy as she maybe, she could be right about hear that, because Harry lost his parents too. JK Rowling mentioned once in an interview that the Veil is more for research did she? But it just goes to show that death's nothing to be afraid of, I guess. I mean, if you don't die, you'll be an imprint on the earth, like Nick. I think he wished he died, what with the pressures from the ghostly community for being 'Nearly-headless'.
  • We've been introduced to various creatures by Luna.
    • Nargles
    • Blibbering humdingers
    • Crumpled-horned Snorkacks
    • Wrackspurt
    • Aquavirius maggots
    • Heliopaths
    Most people believe these creatures do not exist, but according to Newt Scamander {author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them}, new species of magical beasts are being discovered yearly, necessitating 'newly revised editions' of his top-selling book. Could we actually see one of Luna's creatures in the final book, and if so, which one? I hope so! They're really cute, like Luna.
Note: One of my fave characters is Luna, because she clings to her beliefs and is rather a comic relief. Yay, Luna!

Old June 27th, 2007, 1:03 am
Banned

• With a permanently surprised look on her face, her butterbeer cork necklace, radish earrings, and wand tucked behind her ear, she gives off a 'distinct air of dottiness'---but is it for real? Or is it a facade? Her voice certainly lost its 'dreamy' quality at Hermione's comment about the Quibbler.

Real. Luna has been in touch with the unseen from at least age nine and probably longer. But once in a while she is reminded forcefully about the world as most people see it, thus her shift and response to Hermione's quibbler comment.
  • She's been friends with Ginny, a puplic supporter of Harry, joined the DA; through her father's magazine she got Harry's message out to the wizarding world, and has assisted in the trip to the MoM in book 5. What other ways has she contributed to the story? Will she be of help in the final book and if so, how will she be utilized?

HBP mentioned she is taking O.W.L. level divination under Frieze. Quite frankly she has the combination of an open mind and also the confidence (which Tredway lacks) to make her an outstanding in this area. I think she may divine something and be trusted by Harry, which is something no other character be able to do.
Other then that, combat and comic relief will be her role, perhaps support for Neville. In fact in the end I could see her becoming Luna Lovegood Longbottom.
  • Luna has the habit of 'speaking the uncomfortable truth'. Where does she get this from, and does she do it as a part of her nature, or is it her way of garnering a reaction from others?

I think it's from her experince. She has seen more them most Hogwarts students and this has alienated her. She knows the consequences of ignoring the truth is worse then lying.
  • She's one of the few who saw Thestrals like Harry, because she'd lost her mother at an early age. How has this loss affected her, and does it help explain why Luna is the way she is?

Yes.
  • She appeared to be the only one besides Harry to hear the whispering behind the veil. What did she hear? Is she right to assume it was the voices of loved ones lost? How is this significant to the theme of death {"There's nothing to fear in death" & "Death is just the next great adventure"} ?

I think Luna in a way, like a spirit guide or Shaman in that she has experinced a lot early and therefore can share her experinces with those who are ready for them, notably Harry and perhaps Neville, who have a notion of life is learne through experince.
However, with someone like Hermione, who sees life as something to be learned from books, she is one big walking challenge to her worldview.
  • We've been introduced to various creatures by Luna.
    • Nargles
    • Blibbering humdingers
    • Crumpled-horned Snorkacks
    • Wrackspurt
    • Aquavirius maggots
    • Heliopaths
    Most people believe these creatures do not exist, but according to Newt Scamander {author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them}, new species of magical beasts are being discovered yearly, necessitating 'newly revised editions' of his top-selling book. Could we actually see one of Luna's creatures in the final book, and if so, which one?
Humdingers or Snorkhacks; why, they have the most outragous names and would probably have the most comic relief. Imagine a thread after DH "Snorkacks" a group analysis.

Other comment
I've noted many people have seemed to think that Luna would be in Hufflepuff if she had not been sorted into Ravenclaw. I would argue that she would be in Gryfindor.

1. She has shown bravery on numerous occasions, both in combat and her defense of her father. Needless to say she is brave, brave enough to stand with Gryfindors on the same field of battle.

2. JKR has stated she is the "Anti Hermione". Hermione states the sorting hat considered putting her in Ravenclaw. Based on this and the fact that Luna has show extraordinary courage I suspect the inquisitivness of her mind only slightly overshadows her courage in the same way Hermione's courage only slightly overshadows her intellect.

All the Best,

Lunatic

Old June 27th, 2007, 1:35 am
Third Year

About her dreamy voice and her dottiness, I belive that normally when she is talking to people, it is for real, but when she gets insulted or mad, it goes away.
I belive that Luna is loyal to the the trio and will do anything for them. She is alway helping which is great. I think she will be an important part in the Book 7.
I think that when she is 'speaking the uncomfortable truth', I think that is part of her nature. She is not ashamed of herself and likes to express herself. I don't really think she does it on purpose. I think she is one of the most honest, loyalist and realist person in the book.
I belive since her mother died, it sort of got an effect on her on how she is but not to much. I think her mother was a bit of like Luna.
I think she proably heard her loved ones but it dosn't explain how Ginny hear them to.
I actually have a felling that some of the magical creatures that Luna was talking about might come in the last book. This book is going to be full of surprises.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old June 27th, 2007, 1:39 am
Second Year

Why is she in ravenclaw though?

She hasn't really displayed any bouts of superior intellect throughout the book. She is the anti-hermione but wouldn't that make her dumb?

this is baby E signing off
Old June 27th, 2007, 3:05 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryonator View Post
Why is she in ravenclaw though?

She hasn't really displayed any bouts of superior intellect throughout the book. She is the anti-hermione but wouldn't that make her dumb?
Well, she is observant, really open to ideas, and intuitive; all forms of intelligence, the latter two which Hermione is noticeably lacking in. I suspect she is also the type to make the connection between things in odd ways, rather like Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Eddison, both highly intelligent but highly unorthodox people that Hermione would have trouble "getting".

Luna is very smart but not in a conventional "school" way, the opposite of Hermione.

All the Best,

Lunatic

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Other comment
I've noted many people have seemed to think that Luna would be in Hufflepuff if she had not been sorted into Ravenclaw. I would argue that she would be in Gryfindor.

1. She has shown bravery on numerous occasions, both in combat and her defense of her father. Needless to say she is brave, brave enough to stand with Gryfindors on the same field of battle.

2. JKR has stated she is the "Anti Hermione". Hermione states the sorting hat considered putting her in Ravenclaw. Based on this and the fact that Luna has show extraordinary courage I suspect the inquisitivness of her mind only slightly overshadows her courage in the same way Hermione's courage only slightly overshadows her intellect.

All the Best,

Lunatic
Hmm, I don't know whether Luna is brave so much as she just lacks fear almost entirely. You have to be scared before you can be brave, you know?

I agree with your other post, though; I think if she fits anywhere, it's Ravenclaw. fryonator, have you ever heard that quote about madness being a kind of genius?* Because that pretty much sums up Luna for me. I think a lot of the stuff she believes seems perfectly logical to her, because, well... the truth is subjective, isn't it? It feels that way to me, at least. I also think she's quite insightful at times... her comments to Harry at the end of OotP seem to show as much.

Thinking about it some more, I can't actually see her anywhere but Ravenclaw, so I'm not sure why people think she'd be a good Hufflepuff. She just doesn't fit there, I don't think... the whole basis of Hufflepuff seems to be teamwork, loyalty, support - Luna, whilst she obviously would dearly love friends, is perfectly capable of being alone and enjoying her own company. I don't think it would be quite the same if she was a Hufflepuff.

*That's not to say that there isn't a lot of plain old delightful crazy to Luna, I just think she comes out with some smart stuff, is all.

Move on, move on

Last edited by Spritey; June 27th, 2007 at 12:49 pm.
Old June 27th, 2007, 9:37 pm
Fifth Year

I just had a random thought (well not so random, really, just don't know what other word to use) while reading that last post.

Everyone talks about how Luna is mad, strange, weird, crazy. Aren't these some of the same things that people say of Dumbledore? He is quite an intellectual despite those qualities. Not that Dumbledore should be in Ravenclaw, he had other qualities that kind of overrode that intelligence. I bet there are many things he believed in when he was younger that others did not. I'm sure he got ridiculed for some of the same things.

I really see no problem with Luna being in Ravenclaw. I actually can't really see her being anywhere else. I think she fits very well there. Some ideas may be out there (far out there), but she is definitely the intellectual type. I like Luna.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old July 27th, 2007, 8:00 am
First Year

Luna was definitely my favorite character in the series. Whether or not she's going to be the next Dumbledore waits to be seen, but she definitely has the intellectual prowess. There is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, more to her than meets the eye. She is definitely going to do some amazing things when she grows up.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies