Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Gryffindor House : Group Character Analysis

Old April 25th, 2007, 11:25 pm
Third Year

Re: Gryffindor House : Group Character Analysis

Is there a predominant quality that a Gryffindor must have in order to be a Gryffindor?
They have to be brave.

Bravery seems to be the predominant characteristic, but you have students like Neville, Percy, and Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor...What might be the quality of Bravery in its relation to choices that Godric is looking for?
Neville sometimes stands up for his friends and stands up too his enimies. I think Percy is brave. Peter Pettigrew,Not sure.

Does this predominant quality for Gryffindor trump other qualities that might place someone in one of the other houses?
No, I don'tthink so.

What Gryffindors (besides the trio) will be key players in the last book?
Neville and Fred and George

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Gryffindors would decide differently?
Well Gryffindors arn't afraid to break rules unlike the other houses.

What are the significance of Fire and the Lion to Gryffindor?
I think that the Fire and Lion shoe bravery because Lions are spoused to be brave.

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Gryffindor House from a literary perspective?
Well, the older you are,the more advanced you get. Harry,Ron and Hermione are in Gryffindor so I think thjat is the reason.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Is there a predominant quality that a Gryffindor must have in order to be a Gryffindor?

With the focus the Sorting Hat puts on bravery during his songs, it must be that quality.

Bravery seems to be the predominant characteristic, but you have students like Neville, Percy, and Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor...What might be the quality of Bravery in its relation to choices that Godric is looking for?

All three have been brave in their own way.

Neville has faced his fears several times, has stood up against his friends because they did something wrong and he didn't care about what they would think of him. That's maybe one of the bravest things anyone could do. He has fought the woman that has tortured his parents too, something not everyone would dare to do.

Percy, however wrong or bad he was, he has been brave enough to stand up against his family and hold to his principals. Having reached the position he has now not only by blind ambition, but also because he was brave enough to severe ties with his family.

Peter Pettigrew, his bravery was taking the change to leave his comfort zone (this sounds very bad I know) and walk over to Voldemort's side. Although we don't really know how it all went, he must have been scared that they wouldn't accept him. So he was brave enough to see it through.

Does this predominant quality for Gryffindor trump other qualities that might place someone in one of the other houses?

I guess it did, various characters have other qualities as well and could have been sorted elsewhere for instance Hermione, Neville and Harry, but that didn't happen.

Neville for sure, can't believe that he will have nothing to do. I guess Fred and George might turn up. Ginny obviously, although maybe only in the beginning and the end of the book. Lupin and Peter will have something to do too.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:38 am
First Year

That would be bravery/courage.

Neville is brave. He stood up to the trio in PS/SS, which took a lot of bravery. He also showed real bravery in OotP and HBP when he joined the fights againts the Death Eaters.

Percy stood up to his father to protect his beliefs, however wrong they were is irreilivent.

I think Peter Petigrew will redeem himself in DH. He will stand up for Harry in a bigger way than is required to repay the life debt.

With the possible exception of Slytherin, I think that what all the houses stand for are equally good. We are simply showed Gryffindor in a slightly biased light, and therefore naturally view Gryffindor as better.

I think that Neville, Ginny, Lupin, and the Weasly twins will all play important roles in DH. Not many people have mentioned Fred and George, but I think that they will play a role, maybe they'll even invent something that will be helpfull in the lead up to or during the final battle.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Gryffindors would decide differently?

Malfoy not telling his 2 best friends about what he was doing during HBP, as contrasted to Harry telling Ron and Hermione everything about his lessons with Dumbledore and before that.

Marietta in OotP was not brave enough to keep the DA secret and risk getting caught by Umbridge. Had she been in Gryffindor the cover of the DA might not have been blown.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:14 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

JKR's website - wizard of the month

Godric Gryffindor

Medieval (precise dates unknown)
One of the four famous Founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Godric Gryffindor was the most accomplished dueller of his time, an enlightened fighter against Muggle-discrimination and the first owner of the celebrated Sorting Hat.

Does this give us more clues on why certain people have been sorted into Gryffindor?

I think the fighting against muggle discrimination part is another reason why Hermione was sorted into Gryffindor.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:45 am
Fifth Year

Seeing as I found out today that I am in fact a Gryffindor (numerous house placements tests when I was bored). I figured I would have a go at analysing 'my' house.

Some questions to start the discussion:

Nerve and courage I think. To do the right thing even if it makes you unpopular.

Bravery should not be judged as in what we consider universally 'brave' but within the individual context of each person and their beliefs. In that instance both Neville and Percy are brave. Peter may have been very different at 11. He may do something redemptive in DH.

No because Tonks is brave (she is a Hufflepuff). Luna is brave (a Ravenclaw), the pupils who joined the DA, they were not all Gryffindors; that was brave. Bravery is a characteristic of many; perhaps it is what we value and cherish that defines our house. I mean Hermione would definitely be a Ravenclaw but she values courage, friendship, loyalty and the ability to put others first.

Ginny, Lupin, Neville, Peter and his life death.

Harry - Too rash in his decisions, people from other houses may have behaved differently.

Ginny and her fieriness

Lots of things

What are the significance of Fire and the Lion to Gryffindor?

This is interesting because I am a fire sign and if I could choose to be any animal, I would be a lion. Yet I would not have put myself in Gryffindor (I know I'm dump).

I figure that Fire is to connect to the elements, and as an extension of that, to the fire signs. So I rundown of fire signs characteristics:

The Good

Fiery, warm – hearted, generous, magnetic, relish being the centre of attention (I admit nothing). They love and are drawn to airy people (Luna & Cho anyone). They are creative when being imaginative and passionate. They are honest and optimistic.

The bad.

Can be dangerous and can burn out of control, damaging those around them. Fuelled by excitement, have a fiery temper and as a result act rashly and unthinkingly. Annoyance can often erupt into rage. Lack self – control and are hot – tempered. I tendency for exhibitionism (again I admit nothing)

Encompasses a lot of our Gryffindors, I feel, in one variety and mixture or another

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Gryffindor House from a literary perspective?

To encompass the elements, and also to get the four basic themes of both humans and literature. We have: the politicians (Slytherin), the heroes (Gryffindor), the thinkers (Ravenclaw) and the workers (Hufflepuff).

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion? Vygotsky

Last edited by sweets7; July 5th, 2007 at 12:48 am.
Old July 5th, 2007, 9:34 pm
Sixth Year

Let me put it this way, coming across a person trapped in a fire, a Gryffindor would dive right in without a second thought, even if they have a fear of fire; a Ravenclaw would contact the fire department, tell the person in the fire to stop, drop, and roll, and in the meantime find a hose; a Hufflepuff would freak out, and then, when its probably too late, call the fire department; a Slytherin would consider hoe rescuing the person would benefit them, and then, probably, keep walking.

Old July 6th, 2007, 8:54 pm
Third Year

One thing you have to have in order to be in Gryffindor is courage and bravery.Everyone in Gryffindor has that trait. They also wanted to be in Gryffindor. Even if students in Gryffindor have traits in order to be Gryffindor, they also have traits that apply in other houses. But the reason why they got chosen into that house is because thy wanted to.
I think Peter Pettigrew,Neville and Ginny will play a key role in the last book(also Luna but she is in Ravenclaw) because they are like the second trio. They were always there at Harry's aid when he needed help.Also I am hoping there is going to be a showdown with Bellatrix and Neville. Also Ginny is Harry's girlfriend.
I think the Lion is significance for Gryffindor because Lions are brave. Fire I am not sure.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies