Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Harry Potter: Character Analysis



View Poll Results: What are Harry's greatest strengths?
Loyalty 276 55.42%
Determination 290 58.23%
Quick Thinking 151 30.32%
Compassion 241 48.39%
Bravery 330 66.27%
Planning 23 4.62%
Insight 55 11.04%
*gush* I just love him SO MUCH! 94 18.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 498. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old July 13th, 2007, 1:41 am
hermy_weasley2's Avatar
hermy_weasley2  Female.gif hermy_weasley2 is offline
Unspeakable
 
Joined: 6032 days
Age: 31
Posts: 2,133
Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Harry Potter.Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Harry Potter: Character Analysis




1. How do Harry's formative years with the Dursley's influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents had lived? If he had been sent to live with another wizarding family? If he had been sent to an orphanage like Tom Ridde?

2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?

3. Harry's natural curiosity was stifled by the Dursleys. "Don't ask questions!" but it comes out it full force once he gets to Hogwarts. How does this curiosity serve him through the books? Has he truly lost it after Dumbledore's death or will it return as he hunts for the horcruxes?

4. What do you think are Harry's greatest strengths? What weaknesses did he overcome as the series progressed?

5. How have each of the losses Harry has suffered helped to define who he is?

6 Dumbledore tells him that his pure heart is what seperates him from Voldemort and his Death Eaters. What examples have we seen of this pure heart?

7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?

8. Why do you think Harry forgives Snape?

9. JKR tells us that he and Ron became Aurors and revolutionized the department? Do you think this was a good choice for him? What changes do you think he might have made?


__________________
Avatar created by Vita

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; August 7th, 2011 at 4:29 am.
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:28 am
sgwilliamson  Undisclosed.gif sgwilliamson is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4685 days
Posts: 10
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?

For the record, I want to say I think it comes from his role in the Dursley house as a jack of all trades who's expected to prove his worth every single day. I want to say Hermione and the Troll on Halloween was the first time we see this in him. Or maybe going after Neville's Remembrall. It's an admirable sentiment, but often a flaw, and EWWW I am almost agreeing with Voldy on that! I was literally holding my breath as he walked into the forest to sacrifice himself - even though I was expecting a similar situation. He had faced death so many times before, I won't say he was numb to it because he wasn't, but it gave him a resolve others would not have had.

6 Dumbledore tells him that his pure heart is what seperates him from Voldemort and his Death Eaters. What examples have we seen of this pure heart?

Because Harry had so little growing up, he's never had cause to be stingy or spiteful. It's so awful that I think Harry is a better person for having had such a miserable childhood, especially seeing as how Ron takes so much for granted. Sharing the TriWizard Cup with Cedric, telling him about the dragons, giving the money to the twins ONLY if they will help Ron, those are the first things that come to mind.

7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?

Necessary but unrealistic. The first two thirds of the book were a big disappointment to me and it breaks my heart.

8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?

Because everything he thought he knew about him was fundamentally wrong. Harry would certainly not be alive if it weren't for Snape. HE has made the most sacrifices, if you ask me. (I think his folks were even worse that the Dursleys.) I also think with age comes maturity, and that gave Harry a better understanding of the risks required to live the Snape life. Couldn't hurt that the way he died was so...demeaning. You've got to have an awfully hard heart to not make room in there for Severus after viewing his memories.

9. What do you think Harry went on to do after DH? Did he become an Auror or choose a different career?

I think Harry's done his fair share of dark wizard chasing. I want him to play professional Quidditch! Honestly, if I was him, no Auror training for me. There's an awesome fanfic where he drives the Knight Bus (because obviously he doesn't need a six galleon income), which I thought was awesome.


  #3  
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:05 am
espada  Male.gif espada is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4564 days
Age: 28
Posts: 130
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

1. His years with Dudley wouldnt have caused Harry to have any personality defects, cause Harry wasnt afraid of him, Dudley was like a leverage for Harry, cause Harry can only speak on normal terms with Dudley and retort at him without consequence. I think it was Dudley that kind of helped Harry overcome the abusive characteristics of Vernon and Petunia. If his parents had lived, he would obviously be different, there would be no Harry Potter at all. If he had been sent to another wizarding family, assuming that they were good people, he wouldnt have that appreciation for people who arent as fortunate as other people, he wouldnt have character. If he was in an orphanage, he'd be worse off than staying at the Dursleys, at least the Dursleys gave Harry a remote sense of family, being in an orphanage would make Harry feel like a stranger and abandoned.

2. During the troll part in the first book, its definitely a strength, cause with most people, living with abusive relatives would make them lose the sense of sympathy and kindness. Harry didnt, he was normal in terms of personality, and he was willing to risk his life even though he didnt know it, all he wanted to do was help someone. His final sacrifice showed just how much he is willing to give for his friends and the world, its not only because of the fact that there is no choice, but also the fact that he was willing to do it. That wasnt just bravery or nobility, it showed that he knows that the whole world depended on him, Harry loved his friends and that was an example of that.

3. Harry's curiosity served him quite well in the books, for most part, if he wasnt curious, he wouldnt have found out a lot of things, like in HBP, he wouldnt have cared about the scribbles, thus not being able to save Ron, and also he wouldnt have been able to figure out RAB was if he wasnt curious. I dont think Dumbledore's death has made an impact on Harry's curiosity, it was his sense of obligation and loyalty that was affected.

7. The use was necessary, given the state of things, besides the readers all have so much hate for Death Eaters anyway that the use of the Unforgivables was actually relieving.

8. Harry found out the truth through the memories, and the fact that Snape wanted Harry to find out further enforces that trust, of course, Snape wasnt a bad person to begin with, Harry had mistaken him as an evil person, when in fact Snape was just more of like a guy who pents up his emotions and stuff.

9. Most likely an Auror, it was the only thing he wanted to do, wouldnt be hard to get a position anyway, since he defeated Voldemort, the greatest Dark wizard of all time.


  #4  
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:32 pm
BelleSnowyOwl  Female.gif BelleSnowyOwl is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5291 days
Posts: 907
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

1. How do Harry's formative years with the Dursley's influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents had lived? If he had been sent to live with another wizarding family? If he had been sent to an orphanage like Tom Ridde?

Living with the Dursleys has allowed Harry to see and understand those who are less fortunate. James had everything in life, and it seems that Lily did too. But Harry could truly empathize with Ron’s poorness and even Tom Riddle in the orphanage. But I believe it was in Harry’s nature to be who he was. He wanted to be in Gryffindor, and even though he didn’t know it at the time, that shows his desire to help other, his desire for good to rule evil.


2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?

We don’t think we truly see the lengths he’s willing to go through to save people until GoF, when he’s in the lake. There are other examples of Harry being brave and selfless in the pervious books, but this time was different. While this trait can be seen as both a strength and a flaw, I think it outshines as a strength. Harry wanting to save the other person is so brave and something that many people are scared of. Even if Harry is scared, he tries to help almost everyone.


3. Harry's natural curiosity was stifled by the Dursleys. "Don't ask questions!" but it comes out it full force once he gets to Hogwarts. How does this curiosity serve him through the books? Has he truly lost it after Dumbledore's death or will it return as he hunts for the horcruxes?

Curiosity killed the cat, but thankfully Harry wasn’t a feline. This aspect of his personality was vital to everything he ever did, starting with the Invisibility Cloak and the Mirror of Erised in book one. Dumbledore knew Harry was naturally curious, and he worked on that.


4. What do you think are Harry's greatest strengths? What weaknesses did he overcome as the series progressed?

Strengths – loyalty, braveness, his ability to appreciate those less fortunate

Weaknesses – Harry overcame fear in general, if that makes sense. This is very obvious during the Death March in DH. Harry was not afraid, he wasn’t scared of facing his death head on. Few people would have been able to do that, even if it meant vanquishing Voldemort.


5. How have each of the losses Harry has suffered helped to define who he is?
Each person Harry lost, starting with his parents, lit a fire of burning desire to rid the world of Voldemort. He wouldn’t have been motivated nearly enough had he lived a good life with his parents.


6 Dumbledore tells him that his pure heart is what seperates him from Voldemort and his Death Eaters. What examples have we seen of this pure heart?

Really just every time Harry shows his selflessness. He risked his life when he was eleven years old to keep Voldemort from coming back. None of the Death Eaters would have done something as brave to help Voldemort return, don’t think ever Bellatrix.


7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?
I do hate the fact that Harry used some Unforgivable curses in DH, but it was necessary. He did something that he would usually never, ever do, to help kill Voldemort.


8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?

The answer is quite obvious. Snape lived his life for Harry’s mother, keeping Harry safe. It’s not difficult to see the good in him after finding that out.


9. What do you think Harry went on to do after DH? Did he become an Auror or choose a different career?

I’m not really sure, but Auror seems like a fitting job for Harry. Some kind of anti-dark arts job at the ministry, anyway. I don’t think Harry would ever have ceased trying to stop the dark arts.


__________________

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows


Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
  #5  
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:30 pm
hcnbedbugs's Avatar
hcnbedbugs  Female.gif hcnbedbugs is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5079 days
Location: In a land far far away...
Posts: 330
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

1. I think living with the Dursley's taught him how to be self sufficiant. He learned basically how to take care of himself. If he had be brought up by another wizarding family he probably wouldn't have been a very humble person when he would be hearing about how great he was everyday of his life.

2. I think it is a strength, he is selfless he takes other peoples safety into account before his own. His final sacrifice was amazing, how many people would really have been able to do it. I really liked that while he was walking towards his death he was realizing just how precious life really is.


4. He was brave and loyal and sympathetic to others and I would say after DH very wise aswell.
I think Harry over came his stuburness to not accept help from others.
He learned that he is not the only one willing to put his neck on the line and that he was worthy of having others care enough about him to put their necks on the line aswell.

7. I think he did what he felt was nessesary.

9. What do you think Harry went on to do after DH? Did he become an Auror or choose a different career?I would think that he probably wanted to live a quite happy life with his Ginny raising a family. I think he would have made a good teacher at Hogwarts, he could have made a great Headmaster.


__________________


These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die
Like fire and powder
As they kiss
Consume
  #6  
Old July 25th, 2007, 2:46 am
Voldemorts8thHorcrux's Avatar
Voldemorts8thHorcrux  Female.gif Voldemorts8thHorcrux is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 5022 days
Location: just took over world,on throne
Age: 25
Posts: 5,710
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

1. How do Harry's formative years with the Dursley's influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents had lived? If he had been sent to live with another wizarding family? If he had been sent to an orphanage like Tom Ridde?

The Dursleys didn't seem to affect him that much. If they had, I'm sure he would've hated Muggles even more than Voldemort. He would most likely be different if his parents had lived, but not by much. If with another wizarding family, he would probably be a bit spoiled. If at an orphanage, he would have a lot more friends.

2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?

It is a strength and a flaw, the first evidence I would say is when he didn't want Ron to sacrifice himself in the SS. I think it was great how he sacrificed himself like that.

3. Harry's natural curiosity was stifled by the Dursleys. "Don't ask questions!" but it comes out it full force once he gets to Hogwarts. How does this curiosity serve him through the books? Has he truly lost it after Dumbledore's death or will it return as he hunts for the horcruxes?

It helps him uncover the Sorcerer's stone, the Chamber of Secrets, Riddle's Diary, his connection to Sirius, Wormtail's secret, the different tasks, and lots of other stuff. He never lost it at Dumbledore's death, it just stopped for a while. And I thought this was post DH chat, but yes, it did resurface with the hunt

4. What do you think are Harry's greatest strengths? What weaknesses did he overcome as the series progressed?

His strenghts are his bravery, love, and friendship. He also learned how to close his mind

5. How have each of the losses Harry has suffered helped to define who he is?

With all his losses, he tries to keep what he still has, it strengthens his love and friendships.

6 Dumbledore tells him that his pure heart is what seperates him from Voldemort and his Death Eaters. What examples have we seen of this pure heart?

He sacrificed himself, attempted to stop Hermione and Ron from coming with him , His final battle, etc

7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?

I think it was neccesary, the Imperius Curse was used for good intentions, I never thought it was that evil, it really depended on why it was used. And the fact that he used the Cruciatus Curse on Bellatrix Lestrange and not Avada Kedavra shows that he is pure of heart and not evil.

8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?

He was so brave and all his intentions was good, and the mastermind behind it all was Dumbledore anyways. Also, his connection to his Mum

9. What do you think Harry went on to do after DH? Did he become an Auror or choose a different career?

I think he became either an Auror, Unspeakable, Quidditch, stay at home dad, etc.


__________________


Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)


  #7  
Old July 25th, 2007, 3:57 am
magical4life  Undisclosed.gif magical4life is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5166 days
Location: On Stage
Posts: 423
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

1. How do Harry's formative years with the Dursley's influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents had lived? If he had been sent to live with another wizarding family? If he had been sent to an orphanage like Tom Riddle?

Of course he would be a totally different person if his parents had lived or he had grown up with an adoring Wizarding family. Living with the Dursleys built character--literally . He is totally selfless and is very appreciative of what he has. If he hadn't grown up without so much he wouldn't know what a pain it is to not have money or family. If he had been sent to an orphanage like Tom he still wouldn't be the same because he would have grown up with so many people just like himself.

2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?


I think we really see it coming into play in CoS when Muggleborns were rapidly being attacked. It is both a strength and a flaw. It leads him into traps like in OotP but in the end it all works out. His final sacrifice was very noble and like his character. He knew that it was worth it to save all of those lives and families.


3. Harry's natural curiosity was stifled by the Dursleys. "Don't ask questions!" but it comes out in full force once he gets to Hogwarts. How does this curiosity serve him through the books? Has he truly lost it after Dumbledore's death or will it return as he hunts for the horcruxes?


He has had and always will have natural curiosity. For knowledge is power and he needed power to defeat Voldemort and find the Horcruxes.

4. What do you think are Harry's greatest strengths? What weaknesses did he overcome as the series progressed?

I think Harry's selflessness and acceptance of the worst are his greatest strengths. He knew that he must die because he accepted death. He also accepted that it was his job to save all of those people's lives. He overcame his weaknesses of fear of the unknown, the fact that he doesn't have to do everything alone, and knowing what is truly important.

5. How have each of the losses Harry has suffered helped to define who he is?

The loss of his parents was his strength. The loss of Cedric was the knowledge that Voldemort was pure evil and deserved to die. The loss of Sirius was his drive or motivation. The loss of Dumbledore was his acceptance of death. The loss of Moody was his promise of trust (like when he said they needed to trust each other to get through it). The loss of wormtail defined the power of remorse and mercy. The loss of Tonks and Lupin defined his character by showing that you can't deny love. The loss of Fred represented the importance of family (in a way . . .). The loss of Voldemort defined him by combining all of these factors and letting good prevail.

6 Dumbledore tells him that his pure heart is what separates him from Voldemort and his Death Eaters. What examples have we seen of this pure heart?

He saves Wormtail when he very well deserved death. He feels the pain of others and gives hope. He is also very honest and trustworthy to just about everybody.

7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?


I thought it was awesome. I forgave him for it because he didn't use them to necessarily cause immense harm to anyone. The crucio towards the end proved that he wasn't afraid to act on people who deserved it.

8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?


Harry then understood that Snape was overall a worthy person. Snape let love drive him and Harry related to that. Harry had seen the effects of unrequited love and felt pity on Snape. Snape also died for the good side.

9. What do you think Harry went on to do after DH? Did he become an Auror or choose a different career?

An Auror, definitely.


__________________
COS Writing Contest! VOTE NOW! Don't know how? Entries - Feedback - History



“I must learn to love the fool in me: the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.”


Read Love, Loss, and Devotion And also read Journey to Peace by Secunda


Rising Above the Rivalry (A Feud of the Past Must Come to an End . . . )

  #8  
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:00 am
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 4983 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 30
Posts: 4,418
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?

I was very proud of Harry when he decided to face death (or so he thought). It really showed how much his friends and surrogate family meant to him, that he would sacrifice his life to give them a chance at destroying Voldemort.

4. What do you think are Harry's greatest strengths? What weaknesses did he overcome as the series progressed?

I was very surprised at how much Harry grew. He was even able to perform some sort of Occlumency, to block out Voldemort. I was also glad that (what else?) he comes to appreciate Snape. You knew I was going to say it, didn't you.

5. How have each of the losses Harry has suffered helped to define who he is?

I think Harry understands grief and loss very well. It hurts him, but it also drives him to continue what he must do.

7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?

The Imperiuses were probably necessary (though upsetting for me to read about). However, I think he used the Cruciatus curse at one point, which is never necessary.

8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?

Wouldn't you?

9. What do you think Harry went on to do after DH? Did he become an Auror or choose a different career?

No idea. Maybe he took the James route and lived off the small fortune he had. If not, I guess Auror. He was definitely not a teacher at Hogwarts, sice he saw his kids off at platform 9 3/4.


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP
  #9  
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:06 am
Jessica's Avatar
Jessica  Female.gif Jessica is offline
Mouse
 
Joined: 6159 days
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Age: 45
Posts: 4,392
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
The Imperiuses were probably necessary (though upsetting for me to read about). However, I think he used the Cruciatus curse at one point, which is never necessary.
I didn't like Imperio. It troubled me quite a bit. But cruciatus was crossing the line for me. Don't get me wrong - he did it to Alecto (or Amycus don't remember which is which) after he spat at McGonagall but it still seems like petty revenge to me.

That said one of my favorite moments in the book is the repeat of the duel - Expelliarmus vs. Avada Kedavra. Harry defeated Voldemort without using an Unforgivable and I couldn't have loved him more at that moment.


__________________
Everyone loves Bas Döse, me especially.
They're the best band in the world.
I love them even more than Snape and cats.
  #10  
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:10 am
Mia_Potter's Avatar
Mia_Potter  Female.gif Mia_Potter is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5338 days
Location: Thinking happy thoughts.......
Posts: 760
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I didn't like Imperio. It troubled me quite a bit. But cruciatus was crossing the line for me. Don't get me wrong - he did it to Alecto (or Amycus don't remember which is which) after he spat at McGonagall but it still seems like petty revenge to me.
It was Amycus, Alecto was already knocked out by Luna. Personally for me I didn't mind Harry using cruciatus it was just why he used it. Had Amycus been using cruciatus on McGonagall and Harry did it in turn to save her I could have understood it, but for just being crude and spitting in her face? Seems to me a stunning spell or jinx would have sufficed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
That said one of my favorite moments in the book is the repeat of the duel - Expelliarmus vs. Avada Kedavra. Harry defeated Voldemort without using an Unforgivable and I couldn't have loved him more at that moment.
That is one of my favorites as well. It proved you can defeat evil without actually using evil.


__________________


"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"


Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
  #11  
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:55 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

oh dear...where is everyone...hero of the story anyone?
I loved Harry in DH. He stuck with his goals in face of incredible odds and he did a great job. I think it's very important that wizards come of age at seventeen, because I think JKR wanted eveyone to know that she views Harry as an adult capable of his own choices.

A few things that jumped out at me:
1) Harry's respect and treatment of Dobby after his death is very telling of his character.
2) Harry's choice at the end to sacrifice himself illustrates his "purity of heart" and everything i like about him.
3) I like that Harry chose to go after the horcruxes instead of the Elder Wand. It was a great choice on his part, and one of the hardest that he had to make.
4) Although I'm not sure that I agree with Harry's description of Snape in the epilogue, I do respect him for his forgiveness of Snape. I respect that Harry was able to respect Snape for the good that he did even in face of his poor motives and all the bad that he did as well.
5) The only thing that really bothered me about Harry was his use of unforgiveables. Not so much that he wanted to use them as that he had the ability to use them - which he hadn't had previously.


__________________
* * *
  #12  
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:59 am
Jessica's Avatar
Jessica  Female.gif Jessica is offline
Mouse
 
Joined: 6159 days
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Age: 45
Posts: 4,392
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
1) Harry's respect and treatment of Dobby after his death is very telling of his character.
I loved that. Harry digging the grave with his hands was so beautiful and touching.

I also really liked how his ability to love was the strength he needed to block out Voldemort. He did such a wonderful job in this book of blocking Voldemort from accessing his own mind while plucking useful knowledge from Voldemort's mind.

I went into the book hating the Harrycrux idea but as it played out I thought it was both beautiful and appropriate. Like RAB it was a trite fan idea that she turned into something meaningful.


__________________
Everyone loves Bas Döse, me especially.
They're the best band in the world.
I love them even more than Snape and cats.
  #13  
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:09 am
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 4983 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 30
Posts: 4,418
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I didn't like Imperio. It troubled me quite a bit. But cruciatus was crossing the line for me. Don't get me wrong - he did it to Alecto (or Amycus don't remember which is which) after he spat at McGonagall but it still seems like petty revenge to me.
Thanks! I didn't know where it was. And I knew it was not for a good enough reason (is there a good enough reason anyway? I doubt it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
That said one of my favorite moments in the book is the repeat of the duel - Expelliarmus vs. Avada Kedavra. Harry defeated Voldemort without using an Unforgivable and I couldn't have loved him more at that moment.
I was so relieved to read that! Harry's constant use of Unforgivables was making me start to wonder if Harry would use an AK. I'm glad he used Expelliarmus, of all spells. It mirrors the graveyard scene. Except this time, Harry calls Voldemort Tom Riddle! Dumbledore would be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
oh dear...where is everyone...hero of the story anyone?
*raises hand* I'm here! Imagine it, me emerging from my little Snape-centric world to talk about Harry. Spread the Potter love!


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP
  #14  
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:15 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I went into the book hating the Harrycrux idea but as it played out I thought it was both beautiful and appropriate.
I'm so happy that we got the Harrycrux and that Harry lived at the same time. I would not be so happy with the harrycrux idea had harry died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Except this time, Harry calls Voldemort Tom Riddle!
Oh I LOVED that! I loved that Harry saw through the bravado that Voldemort displayed to see the flawed person underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
That said one of my favorite moments in the book is the repeat of the duel - Expelliarmus vs. Avada Kedavra. Harry defeated Voldemort without using an Unforgivable and I couldn't have loved him more at that moment.
I also really appreciate that expelliarmus is harry's "signature" move. I like that in the midst of a raging battle, when everything depends on this one move, that Harry's instinct is to disarm his opponent rather than actively hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
*raises hand* I'm here! Imagine it, me emerging from my little Snape-centric world to talk about Harry. Spread the Potter love!
YAY


__________________
* * *
  #15  
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:29 am
HpGaL04  Female.gif HpGaL04 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4563 days
Location: Indiana, USA
Age: 34
Posts: 7
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
1. How do Harry's formative years with the Dursley's influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents had lived? If he had been sent to live with another wizarding family? If he had been sent to an orphanage like Tom Ridde?
I don't think it would have mattered, but I do think he would have less anger in him. That much abuse does have potential for damage, but Harry seemed stronger than what most abused kids display. think he would have been happier if his parents lived. In a way, he sort of spent tine with the Weasleys and I think they gave him a family. I felt it helped him. It depends on the orphanage.


Quote:
2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?
I think we see this characteristic in the first book. He gave Ron the idea of saving Hermione from that troll. I felt his final sacrifice was important. I am sure a lot of people caught on to this, but this parallels the Bible, in which Jesus dies for the good and comes back (twice He comes back) and destroys Satan. Enough with the philosophical answer, this showed that Harry cared for everyone.

Quote:
3. Harry's natural curiosity was stifled by the Dursleys. "Don't ask questions!" but it comes out it full force once he gets to Hogwarts. How does this curiosity serve him through the books? Has he truly lost it after Dumbledore's death or will it return as he hunts for the horcruxes?
well, I think it wouldn't have mattered. If I was Harry, it would not have stopped me from asking questions. As we saw, it helped Harry in a lot of ways to ask DD questions.

Quote:
4. What do you think are Harry's greatest strengths? What weaknesses did he overcome as the series progressed?
I think his strength is the obvious: his love and compassion. He was also forgiving (Draco's mom and his cousin for example). I felt his main weakness was the understanding of what was in stake for him. If he had known at 11, I think he wouldn't have taken it as seriously.

Quote:
5. How have each of the losses Harry has suffered helped to define who he is?
I think Sirius' death gave him that motivation to kick Voldemort's butt. Same with his parents, in which got him ot this situation. Also Hedwig was his first pet (R.I.P *sniff*).

Quote:
6 Dumbledore tells him that his pure heart is what seperates him from Voldemort and his Death Eaters. What examples have we seen of this pure heart?
Well, his sacrifice and his disarming charm obsession. He only used the UC a few times, but still preferred *** disarming charm, even when he deveated Voldemort.

Quote:
7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?
I was a little shock to be honest. I didn't expect him to use it, but it was funny when he didn't get the imperuis curse right and the goblin and that DE just stood there hypnotized and dazed. Then he got it right.

Quote:
8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?
He knew Snape loved his mom and he knows love is what makes wizards not 100% evil.

Quote:
9. What do you think Harry went on to do after DH? Did he become an Auror or choose a different career?
I actually think he got into some muggle career, since he spent his childhood in a muggle environment. That doesnt mean he ignores the wizarding world, but combines both since he loves both worlds.


  #16  
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:37 am
Jessica's Avatar
Jessica  Female.gif Jessica is offline
Mouse
 
Joined: 6159 days
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Age: 45
Posts: 4,392
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I was so relieved to read that! Harry's constant use of Unforgivables was making me start to wonder if Harry would use an AK. I'm glad he used Expelliarmus, of all spells. It mirrors the graveyard scene. Except this time, Harry calls Voldemort Tom Riddle! Dumbledore would be proud.
Oh I LOVED that! I had been hoping that after everything Harry had seen in HBP he'd be able to throw Riddle's past in his face. Harry calling him Riddle must have been an even bigger insult to Voldemort than Dumbledore doing so.


__________________
Everyone loves Bas Döse, me especially.
They're the best band in the world.
I love them even more than Snape and cats.
  #17  
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:54 am
MHPFAN's Avatar
MHPFAN  Female.gif MHPFAN is offline
BANNED... No really they are...
 
Joined: 5001 days
Location: Telemetry Floor...
Posts: 1,543
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

I was a little disappointed that Harry used so many Unforgivables. When he pointed out that "Ooohh, so THAT'S what Bellatrix meant" I was a little put off by that. I wondered if the Horcruxes or even the connection between Voldy and him was getting the best of him. It was almost as if that part of Voldy within Harry was winning the invisible internal battle Harry was going through. The whole of the horcrux hunt affected Harry and Ron in such a way that I was a little astounded.

I think Harry forgave Snape because he finally understood why it was that Snape even agreed to protect him. They were somewhat connected through their feelings for Lily, though their love obviously was different. I think Harry could identify with that and could finally forgive Snape because of it.

I loved the way Harry's characted matured in DH. He was able to see that it was so much bigger than the grudge he was holding toward Voldy. He gave his life for the entire Wizarding community, and willingly. I think that was a HUGE improvement from the "saving people thing" which I found was still a bit selfish and childish.


__________________
Because all it takes is a ready mind, a steady heart, and a determined attitude.
Proud Gryffindor!
Nursing Class of 2007!
ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
  #18  
Old July 25th, 2007, 7:02 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHPFAN View Post
I loved the way Harry's characted matured in DH. He was able to see that it was so much bigger than the grudge he was holding toward Voldy. He gave his life for the entire Wizarding community, and willingly. I think that was a HUGE improvement from the "saving people thing" which I found was still a bit selfish and childish.
Really? I still think Harry was operating under his "saving people thing" throughout the book, and I think it's one of the most beautiful things about his character. When Harry sees someone in trouble, his first instinct without analyzing anything is to save them. And when he found out that he'd have to sacrifice himself, his first instinct was to save everyone from Voldemort.

I think that's why Harry and Aberforth could never have gotten along completely. Aberforth was all for Harry saving himself, while this was incomprehensible to Harry when there were others in desperate need of help that only he could give.


__________________
* * *
  #19  
Old July 25th, 2007, 1:43 pm
rela00  Female.gif rela00 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 6345 days
Location: The Theatre of Dreams...
Age: 39
Posts: 287
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

I have just written a similar thing to what I'm about to say in the Snape section. I hope it's alright to reproduce a tiny bit it here as it is relevant...

Near the end of DH as Harry is on his way to meet Voldermort he starts thinking about Tom Riddle, Snape and himself being the abandoned boys who found a home at Hogwarts. That really caught my attention because all 3 of them are so different and yet come from similar places. I couldn't help but think that Jo was highlighting again the differences in the choices we make. Voldermort chose the easy route of power and turned away from love and friendship. Snape chose to hide his love away and pretend that the better part of himself didn't exist. He was a Death Eater in love with one of the "good" guys after all... He was willing to let James and Harry die as long as it meant Lily survived ans I don't think any of us can believe that Lily would be happy with that choice. Whereas Harry chose his friends and the ones he loved over everything even his own life. He was willing to go into that clearing and give up his life as long as it meant that the people he loved and cared for survived.

Harry could so easily have been a different person had he just gone with what the sorting hat said on his first day. The hat wanted him in Slytherin but from that very first moment in that hall he CHOSE to turn his back on a house that he was being told he would fit into. He chose to go with the unknown but what he also thought was right. It's this that makes Harry different (as Jo kept repeating throughout the books). Harry could easily chicken out (and who would blame him), he could run away from that clearing and not look back. Choose a different future for himself but instead he faces his destiny, faces his (what he thinks is) certain death and does it with an innocence that brings tears to your eyes (his line about "does it hurt" was so bitter sweet it still makes me tear up 4 days later!).

It's not only his willingness to give up his life that defines him but also the fact that he's the only person who's had contact with the Hallows who turns down the ownership of them. He keeps for himself only the invisibility cloak. I don't know if it's ever mentioned but I assume he's the first person to have ownership of all 3 Hallows and therefore to have power over death and yet he has no want or need of them. He chooses to hide them away and make sure that no-one else will find them. Yet again it is the choices he makes that make him who he is.


__________________

Daniel Radcliffe: "I wish there was more of David Tennant in Goblet of Fire.
He's only got a few scenes and he's brilliant in all of them. He's so absolutely, fantastically watchable."
To which the fangirls say amen!!!
  #20  
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

very well put, rella00. I think that Harry made some heart wrenching yet good choices in DH. I like how you contrasted him to Snape and to Voldemort. I think that something else that illustrates your point is Harry's conversation with Aberforth. I think that conversation had to be there to show Harry that there was another choice - the easier choice to go off and hide and hope that everyone else would be able to keep Voldemort at bay without him. But in the end, Harry chose the right thing over the easy thing (Dumbledore must have been thinking of Harry when he said that in GoF) and did everything he could to bring down Voldemort because he beleived that to be the moral thing to do.


__________________
* * *
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:55 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.