Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

2008 US Presidential Candidate: Barack Obama

Old August 22nd, 2008, 8:25 pm
Genius Loci

2008 US Presidential Candidate: Barack Obama

Okay guys, based on some feedback we've received from some of you recently we're going with two separate threads for the candidates. Much less of a versus match and more of a focused affair, so we can can get more of what each campaign is doing and saying.

Now there is a very uneven split for the Liberal/Conservative base on CoS Forums in favor of the Liberal base. We ask that you respect the split and allow time for our Conservative friends to respond to comments. Both threads may be closed at the same time if we feel the need is there.

Now...

1. If something is a fact state your source.
2. If something is not a fact explain that it is your opinion. If it's not a fact backed up by a reliable source then it is your opinion and we expect you to say so.
3. You are not to cross-post between threads. You are not to quote from one thread into another. Pick a thread and commit. Evidence of cross-posting in any form will be removed
4. You do not need to be a supporter to post in the thread, but your comments must be constructive. No posting Joe. Q. Pundit's article about how McCain blends puppies and Obama steals candy from babies in both threads.

That's it. Something is a fact or it's your opinion. It should be clear which is which at all times.

If you do not follow these simple guidelines and as always How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic, you will be removed from the DoIMC for at least one week or up to 30 days. This applies to everyone, Democrats and Republicans alike. Any questions on modding go to Jessica, lanifiel or myself. Any offensive posts should be reported. If you respond rudely to a rude post you will be warned and removed from the DoIMC. Ah yes, oh happy, happy days ahead.

If you intend to link very large images in the thread or quote long articles, please use the appropriate tags.

[quote=title]t e x t[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Fox
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
[expand=title]t e x t[/expand]
Quick Fox:    

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Questions Below
  1. What qualities do you consider Obama to have that would make him a good President? Examples help.
  2. What weaknesses do you perceive him to have? Examples help.
  3. What are the major issues and challenges facing the future President right now and how do you think an Obama government would handle them?
  4. What strengths should Obama look for in a running mate?
  5. Is it your intention to vote for Obama? If so, are you voting on specific issues or is it a loyalty vote?

Questions on Obama's VP Choice.
  1. Do you consider Obama's choice to be a good choice?
  2. What benefits & experience does Biden bring to the campaign?
  3. What weaknesses do you consider Biden to have and how can the Democrats work around them?
  4. In selecting Biden, how does this affect McCain's choice for VP?
  5. Now that you know who the Democrat VP candidate is, do you still intend to vote Democrat or has your views shifted slightly?

Note: Questions subject to change depending on arising issues such as VP selection

Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:39 am
Banned

Re: 2008 US Presidential Candidate: Barack Obama

Fantastic ! Thread open !

OMG I am checking my cell phone every 1/2 hour!

I re-enrolled for the text notification to be sure I would get one.

MSNBC will have all their news anchors in tomorrow starting at 10 am eastern with Joe Scarborough (7 am Eastern).

I was going to do voter registration tomorrow but now I'm going to be at home.

I want Hillary, I think she's a game changer. The rumors about her "not being vetted" ... I don't know how to interpret that. I believe that Vanity Fair attack piece on Bill Clinton was a demonstration of the extended research that the Obama campaign did on her during the VERY LONG primary. So I think they would know what they were getting. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_115435.html

Biden seems to be a favorite. The Biden choice won't lose me (nothing would).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_120563.html

Last edited by lindaluna; August 23rd, 2008 at 12:51 am.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:48 am
Zonko's Employee

From Drudge:

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:51 am
Banned

1. Say it 3 times fast. I say to you it will NEVER be the ticket. Also Bayh reminds me of Gore.

2. It's not the Obama font or style. The O would be the Obama symbol (I believe) and it is not the medium blue color. Obama's font is like Garamond. The wave divider is interesting. I think it's in the Obama symbol as well, and we know dems are bigger on the coasts.

I think it's an entrepreneur trying to be ready. There were "independent" Obama T shirt vendors (with some great products) at the rally I went to outside Saddleback Church.

A lot of the popular sites (Zazzle / Cafepress / Vista Print) have Obama or McCain images you can use on Tshirts etc.

I did this as my closest approximation for my local candidate (it looks good IMHO on my Tshirt, buttons & Magnets).

Last edited by lindaluna; August 23rd, 2008 at 1:00 am.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:57 am
Banned

This will be my first time voting in a presidential election and I'll be voting for Obama. I agree with most of his positions and I think it is time for change. In my opinion, anything is better than another Republican.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:01 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

I have no idea..but, Biden does seem to be the front runner among pundants.

I keep checking my email, too I'm getting a kick out of the reporters, some who are getting quite testy now. They have all the potential VP pick houses staked out!

Even my husband, who says he's not sure if he'll vote a minor candidate or Obama, called home from his doctor's appointment today to see if I had heard anything.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:03 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaluna View Post
1. Say it 3 times fast. I say to you it will NEVER be the ticket. Also Bayh reminds me of Gore.

Well, then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudge
FLASH: Fri Aug 22 2008 17:52:03 ET /// KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reports a company in Kansas City, which specializes in political literature, has been printing Obama-Bayh material... MORE... Gill Studios, would not confirm information about the material. They would not deny it either. At least three sources close to the plant's operations reported the Obama-Bayh material was being produced. The company is in the Obama FEC reports for previous work...

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:04 am
Banned

Here's the official logo & colors.

The sunshine of hope for our nation !

Last edited by lindaluna; August 23rd, 2008 at 1:06 am.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:15 am
Banned

I like his logo. I want the logo t-shirt but I am not spending $8.65 for shipping for a $20 shirt when it will still take 1 - 2 weeks for delivery.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:31 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Drudge has had some notable scoops over the years but like any unconfirmed rumor we do have to treat this as rumor.

For instance, just scanning Drudge now, they have the bumper sticker, and a link to an MSNBC story saying that Bayh and Kaine have been informed that they're not it. So they're clearly contradicting themself, leaving us in the dark, so to say. It does note that the text message is expected to go out tomorrow morning.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:31 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

MoveOn.com was giving away free buttons. I signed up for one. I'm in a REAL conservative area...figured I wasn't going to find one around here

edit:
One of the things I heard while listening to one of the news stations (I was flipping around and don't remember which) was that the campaign had ordered several different sets of bios and other material, each with different names on them.

This reminds me of the lead up to a book release--remember? Several different titles were registered to hide the real one!

I agree, at this point, I would treat it all as a rumor. By tomorrow, this should all be over and we'll know for certain.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."

Last edited by Redhart; August 23rd, 2008 at 1:34 am.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhart View Post
MoveOn.com was giving away free buttons. I signed up for one. I'm in a REAL conservative area...figured I wasn't going to find one around here
MoveOn also gave away free bumper stickers a month or so ago. I received mine earlier this week.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:59 am
Shieldmaiden

Word from a lot of the news stations (the BBC blogger in the US is the one I noted it from) is that Biden's the likely VP.

It would be an interesting pick. Biden has substantial Congressional experience, particularly in foreign affairs, but he's hawkish and supported the Iraq War - which undercuts one of Obama's main campaign points. (Granted, it is becoming something of a moot point as al-Maliki managed to use Obama's policy as a way of putting the heat on the US, and most forces will be out by 2011 at latest if the US-Iraqi agreement currently in the works is finalized.) He also supported the PATRIOT Act. Put together, it's an odd decision for a campaign trying so hard to emphasize good judgement.

Biden's strongly pro-union and has opposed some free-trade agreements, which might help Obama with some blue-collar workers.

One other benefit that I doubt will be voiced aloud by the campaign, but believe is there: Biden is the one who made the comment that Obama is "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy." [Biden claims the interviewers left out a comma after 'African-American', leading to the comment being misunderstood. That seems fairly plausible.] Obama picking him would work against any 'oversensitive minority' perception (I know there's no grounds for such a perception, but these things turn up).

EDIT: Choosing Hillary as VP would be extremely unwise. Making an overly ambitious person one's second in command is always a poor move; they will always be seeking to advantage themselves rather than you or your policies. And it brings Bill in - who as a former president would not be content simply to sit and watch if Obama chose a course of action he, with his eight years experience in the White House, considered a bad idea. One Cheney per presidency was more than enough, thank you.

Last edited by WarriorEowyn; August 23rd, 2008 at 2:06 am.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 2:17 am
Qvack...

I just want to put my opinion in here. I'm from the Republic of Ireland and I want you all to realise how so many people here are rooting for Barack Obama. We're keeping up with as much news as possible, but on the whole I won't be able to comment on much of this. Some of the people mentioned re:American tv and news, aren't recognised by yours truly.

I just wanted to say that we're really hopeful that the black senator from Illinois can surprise the world, rock the boat and rock the system. My support is in this corner.

Best of luck!

THE DUCK.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 2:34 am
Shieldmaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I just wanted to say that we're really hopeful that the black senator from Illinois can surprise the world, rock the boat and rock the system. My support is in this corner.

Best of luck!
Would it be a surprise at this point? He's been the front-runner for a long time.

As for the latter two - I'm no longer convinced he wants to do either.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 3:08 am
Banned

I'm not saying it's reached a fever pitch or anything, but journalists have tracked a lone charter plane from Chicago to Delaware that landed 2 hours ago.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJA863

Real question: is there a flight going back ?

Biden, if he's not the one, has been incredibly good humored about this. I would love to see him in Barack's cabinet. What about joint VP & a Cabinet role ie Sec. of Defense ?? Still rooting for Hillary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhart View Post
Me too, and I ordered some more from them. Buttons were also being sold at that Barack event (by a private vendor - who was raking it in ! - so look out for an Obama event.)

BTW, I'm hoping the candidates get buttons & stickers etc. at the convention. Steve Young (my local guy) has nothing. (I just ordered him some more stuff). I just got a mailer from my incumbent Republican Congressman.

23/6 (comedy site) links to CNN for true comedy, journalists going crazy waiting for announcement.
http://www.236.com/news/2008/08/22/m...p_ano_8441.php

Last edited by lindaluna; August 23rd, 2008 at 3:33 am.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 4:15 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorEowyn View Post
Would it be a surprise at this point? He's been the front-runner for a long time.

As for the latter two - I'm no longer convinced he wants to do either.
Maybe he doesn't want to. There has never been genuine left wing politics in the United States, and with the Cold War, I totally see why.

What I mean by the comment is that he will rock the boat, whether he wants to or not. Face it: he's different. It's fantastic that things have changed so much.

Consider that he would be a young President. The last young president rocked the system quite a lot, didn't he? JFK stepped in during the Cold War and fought on during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
And that was sheer necessity and good decision making.
But boy did it rock the boat!

I think that's the kind of President Obama would be. I understand the talks of him not having enough experience. With that in mind, would he be another outsider trying his hand a big job? I don't think so. He's no fool.

Again, taking JFK into account, and talking of Obama's supposed "celebrity" links- wasn't that what the Kennedy's were famous for?

You need someone young (ish!), to reach out and really affect some sort of change. The Imperial Presidency is over, has been since Nixon. It's an affecting person you need in office, not someone who could very well leave another legacy of war and a lack of development behind.

We're pretty sure Obama will shake things up, whether to the desired effect or not.

Incidentally, hasn't his lead slipped slightly? That's what reports here are saying at any rate..

THE DUCK.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 4:23 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Face it: he's different.
He's a politician. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Consider that he would be a young President. The last young president rocked the system quite a lot, didn't he? JFK stepped in during the Cold War and fought on during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
And that was sheer necessity and good decision making.
That it ended peacefully was more luck than good management.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 23rd, 2008, 4:35 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

As I don't see any parallels between the Cuban Missile Crisis and this election, I'll have to ask you all to leave it out of this thread.

That discussion belongs here.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 5:05 am
Queen of Apathy

Biden would be an interesting choice if he is the VP pick which seems to be what the mainstream news is picking up on. Biden's pro union stance is a plus. It would also help Obama with catholic voters. Who knows though. The mainstream news has certainly gotten it wrong before.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives