Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Best Game Ever?

Old January 9th, 2009, 5:15 am
Sixth Year

Re: Best Game Ever?

Mmm, hard to say. In terms of the game I enjoyed the most...

Dungeon Keeper - Playing this game was honestly the most fun I've ever had playing anything. It was just wickedly funny and had enough depth to keep me playing for years.

In terms of technical brilliance...

Baldur's Gate 2 - Like DK, it was fun, but it was also technically brilliant. I could not find any fault with it, or complain about anything. Story, sound, graphics, gameplay, all flawless. It wasn't an easy game, but that's part of the brilliance. It made you work to win, but not too hard.

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 7:45 am
First Year

Hmm... there's two for me.

The first would be the Kingdom Hearts series, specifically "Kingdom Hearts II".

What is your reason for your choice?
Because the games have brilliant animation, great story choices, a mind-blowing array of voice talent, and they're pretty easy to grasp.

How did you feel when you were playing it?
Like I was watching the perfect Disney film, where all the characters had pivotal roles in a storyline that was unusually dramatic for some of them to be a part of.

How did you feel when you completed it?
That I couldn't wait to go back and play it again thoroughly, and that I could not wait until the next one. Imagine my disappointment when I heard "Birth by Sleep" was for the PSP.

The other game would be "The Last Express".

Because it was such a creative, historically-based mystery with an extremely engaging cast of characters, an unusual style of animation that I had never seen before, and a storyline that could change at any moment (for better or worse) depending on the actions I took.

Holding my breath with suspense at many moments, humored at some of the clever banter, and often frustrated/challenged (in the good way) by the game pushing me to unravel the plot.

Quite sad, really, as the ending was rather tragic and bizarre, though still good. I suppose I shouldn't have expected a happy ending for a game where the events are contributing factors to WWI. I was also crushed that the game's company went under, destroying any chances for the proposed sequel.

Old July 29th, 2009, 2:44 am
Second Year

Quote:
What do you think was the best game ever made?
I honestly have two favorites; though by any stretch of the imagination I wouldn't consider them "best game ever" material.

Anyway, Call of Duty 4 is my favorite FPS game (FPS = love.)
and Little Big Planet is my favorite pick for just "all around fun" game.

Quote:
COD4: This game was the first FPS game I was ever really any good at. I played it at my friend's cousins' in Texas last year, and as soon as I got a PS3, I got my own copy. In Texas, I only played online. When I played campaign for the first time, I was blown away. I loved the story-line, the interraction that your character had, and the switching of different characters' storylines. It was absolutely brilliant.

LBP: I just love how fun and quirky this game is. I enjoy the freedom you have, such as decorating your pod, making different costumes for your "Sack figure", and etc. I also lovelovelove how the creators incorporated the special feature of the PS3's controller. And the puzzles and strategy needed to complete this game are just mindblowing. Everything about this game, IMO, is amazing. It's everything a classic game should have.

Quote:
COD4: Amazing. Enthralled. Just very keen to see what happens next/finish the game.

LBP: Very, very entertained and included in the story (if that makes sense?). Also frustrated at times, like when I would get stuck on certain areas.

Quote:
COD4: Accomplished. Haha.

LBP: I haven't finished it, yet. But I imagine I won't feel fully content unless I get 50% or higher of every challenge in every world completed.

Oct. 31 2009
One of the best days of my life.

Can you see? You remind of how I used to be.
Let's say goodbye to our maybes,
incomplete, just a texture of how life really is.
And it seems to feel so real.
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:03 am
First Year

Best game ever? Well I'm not an RPG fan so its easy.....

Quake ! When it was released in 96 it was insanity. It was the commercial birth of the internet and Quake revolutionized the way multiplayer games were developed and played. It built huge communities and competitive structures. Customization and mod capabilities meant all the clans could customize their models/skins. So much fun and so many all nighters (though I don't miss dial-up modems.....lol)! Hey now its free too (google "Quake One").

Then the second best came in 1999 with Q3A, for the same reasons (Q2 had odd physics & UT just never had the community). My old clan just shut down its servers last year and there are still 2,500++ active ones running and packed. With Quakon still selling out every year, its still a relevant title if not an all time icon. Fragging good times. Sure glad Fatal1ty & crew were not around in Q1 days though............ I would have cried if I had to face the human aimbots of today

If you want to see humiliation check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6LGvR1EvhE

....oh the humanity...!

P
r O x Y

Last edited by PrOxY; August 7th, 2009 at 10:21 am.
Old August 10th, 2009, 5:08 pm
First Year

No GTA fans here ?

Are you searching for a reason, to be kind?

No Rahman No music, Know Rahman know music
Old August 10th, 2009, 9:18 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmaniacc View Post
No GTA fans here ?
I love San Andreas

My favorite is either Total War: Rome or Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. I'll say the latter.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

What is your reason for your choice? Excellent storyline and big twist near the end is incredible. The choice between being light side, dark side, or gray. Building your PC to fit your style whether you want to focus on using the force most, combat with your saber or a mix etc. Plus the party members and their side quests make the game so much fun. The dialogue and the choices are excellent and I get more than a few laughs throughout it.

I've played it many times and it never gets old to me. You can be a male or a female, different classes, light side or dark side so its like you can play over and over and have a different kind of game play.

How did you feel when you completed it? Sad because its over but that disappears when I play it again.

Old August 10th, 2009, 9:21 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmaniacc View Post
No GTA fans here ?
I love GTA IV, but the Zelda games will always be the best for me.

Old August 11th, 2009, 4:58 pm
First Year

i love all games in GTA series then i loved Prince of Persia too. i am not saying those are the best games, but they are my favorites.

Are you searching for a reason, to be kind?

No Rahman No music, Know Rahman know music
Old August 12th, 2009, 3:16 pm
First Year

What do you think was the best game ever made? Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Fallout 3 and Bioshock.

What is your reason for your choice? Call of Duty is just an amazing, addicting game. The plot is in the present/near future and you get to know your teammates pretty well. It has two subplots, one where you play the British Soap McTavish
Spoiler: show
Who is your captain in CoD:MW2!
and one where you play as the American who's name I've forgotten. It has some nice missions, like the sniping missions (which is madness near the end when you wait for the chopper) and the last three missions.

As for Fallout, I really love the Steampunkish feeling the game has, but the story might be a little cliché. Your father escapes the vault and you need to find him.
There are heaps of endings, and I can tell you one thing... It's HARD to get them all. The graphics and engine and sound are so amazing, it's too good for words.

Bioshock... If Rapture was real... I'd move there. Practically the same as I said for Fallout, it's Steampunk and a cliché plot, as the people there turned into some sort of zombies or something by mad scientists. It has a nice plottwist, though.

How did you feel when you were playing it? Call of Duty was just a good game, with great multiplayer. I've been playing it for ages and I'm looking forward to MW2!

Fallout and Bioshock was stunningly beautiful, but sometimes a tad mindtwisting as you sometimes need to do something and you have no clue where/what it is.

How did you feel when you completed it? Ah, that's what I hate about those games. They have to end. I don't want 'em to!

Slythknot
Slytherin - People in masks - Slipknot

YOU ARE MINE, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MINE.
ALL I WANT IS TO COVET YOU ALL.
YOU BELONG TO ME.
I WILL KILL YOU TO LOVE YOU.
Slipknot - Iowa

Old August 18th, 2009, 4:49 am
First Year

Without question:

Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn.

The game was huge and stylish with hundreds of possibilities and a variety of endings based upon what your characters did. The storyline was amazing, the gameplay (at the time) was phenomenal.

I have never enjoyed a game as much. I have certainly played other games longer (MMO's, Diablo II, etc) but they were just mindless playing, questing and killing. With Baldur's Gate I had to constantly think "how will this affect my character, what is the right answer to the riddles, do I dare attempt this quest at my level, what spells should my wizard memorize, should I take the drow cleric or the druid?" On and on and on, such an amazing experience.

I love Prof. Snape
Father -- Mother
Sister
Old August 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Second Year

Bioshock to me has without the doubt the best story ever told in a video game its a serious contender for greatest game.

"Where Dwell The Brave at Heart"
Old August 22nd, 2009, 1:04 am
Fourth Year

This is an oft-chosen game for best game ever: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but I think it definitely deserves consideration for that coveted title.

It has it all: story, gameplay, graphics (for 1998 on the N64 they are fantastic), music (one of my favorite game OSTs ever)

Great. I feel like I'm ten years old again: struggling on the Water Temple, riding through Hyrule Field, sitting around Gerudo Valley just to listen to the background music. It was all good.

Euphoric. But then a bit empty inside when I realized I really hit the end of the road with the game. Then I went onward to Majora's Mask.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old June 16th, 2010, 1:13 pm
First Year

Burnout 2 i guess. it's the most intense racing game I've ever played! Nothing has matched it yet! But I'm no longer a gamer really so maybe nothing will...

Old June 16th, 2010, 4:56 pm
Banned

I'll list my top 5 in lieu of going into too much detail about each.

5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I remember it as the most hyped and most delayed game ever, and also for believing it was the greatest until I played Final Fantasy 7, which blew it away. Its transition of Zelda into 3D was perfect, but it was really the improvement in music and sound (except the very dull battle music) that puts this ahead of A Link to the Past. Yet, go figure, I still consider ALttP the best Zelda game.

4. Chrono Trigger. Replaced Secret of Mana as my favorite SNES RPG when I first played it. The simplistic storyline was helped by the branching of both time and characters, while it was the first RPG I know of to combine an ATB battle system with the ability to actually control which battles you get into. Many memorable moments.

3. Tetris. Forget that overrated lump Mario. This is the greatest old-school game ever. It's horribly addicting, it takes actual skill, it's fun, it's the ultimate stand-by, it can be played for short-term or long-term, and its toughest setting is potentially harder to complete than FCing "Through the Fire and Flames" in Guitar Hero 3.

2. Final Fantasy 7. This game INVENTED the use of novel-quality character development in a game, and I have yet to ever play a game with a character whose psychology is explored even half as deeply as Cloud's and Sephiroth's. It has the 2nd greatest and 1st coolest-looking villain ever to appear in a game, it has VERY complex branches questioning who's good and who's evil (with at least five factions with defined structures, developed characters, and personal motivations warring at some points), Shinra is the most convincing dystopia in gaming, and even with the poor MIDI quality sound, it has, bar none, not only the greatest, most moving, and most memorable soundtrack ever composed for a game (except for maybe FF8), it has one of the greatest ever composed for any media resource including movies. Just listen to the orchestrations of Main Theme, Aeris' Theme and One Winged Angel - you'll change your mind if you disagree. Add to this the inclusion of the 1st through 3rd most iconic plot moments ever to appear in a game, all in a single storyline, and only the unvaried gameplay and poor translation at times keeps this from being the Perfect Game.

1. Final Fantasy 6. Unlike FF7, this had virtually no translation flaws, and had more characters at the expense of somewhat less development with each. It had some great sequences (particularly the Opera House), the most maniacal villain of any game, and, other than FF7, the most believable motivation for battling the villain. Add to this gameplay that, unlike the later FF titles, actually distinguishes significantly between one character and the next, together with the sheer classic appeal of one of the first games to even have an in-depth storyline, and that makes FF6 IMO the #1 must-play game ever created.

My honorable mentions: Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete; Secret of Mana; Seiken Densetsu 3; Illusion of Gaia; Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2; Goldeneye 64; Star Fox 64; Super Mario All-Stars; Super Mario RPG; Kingdom Hearts 2

Last edited by APolaris; June 16th, 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old July 21st, 2010, 6:05 am
First Year

Super Metroid!

Personally, I think it's very good for its time, plus I love the music.

Invincible!

I haven't yet.... I used to watch my mother play it, and now I'm trying to.

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:33 am
Sixth Year

Has anyone played Left 4 Dead before? It's currently one of my favourite games, even though I've played it only one time. I will play it again once I go LAN one of these days.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old August 1st, 2010, 3:15 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
Has anyone played Left 4 Dead before? It's currently one of my favourite games, even though I've played it only one time. I will play it again once I go LAN one of these days.
I love Left 4 Dead. I have both games and they're very fun!

Old August 7th, 2010, 5:41 am
First Year

Everything about RE4 is amazing.It truly is the latest resident evil game because of the single player.My favourite best games are here.

Pac-Man
Halo 3
Call of Duty: World at War
The Legend of Zelda
Pro Wrestling

Old August 8th, 2010, 7:55 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Old November 27th, 2010, 8:56 pm
Second Year

The first Legend of Zelda is a good game, but I don't think it's the best game of all time or anything. I just don't think it has enough direction; it's pretty frustarating for me to be able to find the 7th dungeon before the 3rd. I would say my favorite Zelda game was Ocarina of Ages for the GBC. Absolutely fantastic.

My favorite game of all time though? Nostalgia included, I have to go with Pokemon Red. It was the first game I ever really LOVED. To this day I can still pick it up and play at any moment. Plus, that and my Game Boy Color were my two favorite Christmas gifts of all time.

Honorable mentions have to go to Mass Effect 2, the Harry Potter Game Boy Color games, GTA San Andreas, Castlevania 4, and I could reallyl list a bunch of others but I'll just stop there.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games