Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old March 14th, 2011, 4:59 pm
Third Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

Quote:
And there is nothing at all about Kreacher betraying Sirius which is a main part of the film!!!
Excellent point. That whole scene was cut from the movie except for the bits that come immediately before and after it (I think, right?) It's probably because CGI is expensive and since they didn't want to have Kreacher in the movie in the first place, but I think the betrayal is pretty important. It sets up for his redemption in DH1.

Hufflepuff Pride
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Seventh Year

Something that sort of annoyed me was after CoS the film makers completely ditched Hermione's bushy hair. Emma couldn't wear the prosthetic teeth for some reason so the least the film makers should have done is keep her bushy hair as that is such a important part of Hermione's physical appearance. It would be like them suddenly changing Ron's hair colour to brown in PoA for no reason.

Old April 27th, 2011, 4:08 am
Fourth Year

I would say the one thing that really bothers me about the movies, and keeps me from loving them, rather than really liking them at best, is how they execute what should be emotional scenes. I can't pretend to know the reasoning behind it, but I've noticed that a number of scenes which are serious or emotional in the books somehow lose their steam in their translation to the screen, either because they add inappropriate (read: ill-fitting and unnecessary) humour to the said scenes (such as Ron's "These girls, they're gonna murder me, Harry!" half a second after he is poisoned in HBP, or Dobby's lines in the Malfoy Manor in DH Part 1), or the lines are not delivered with any emotion in the voice or fitting facial expressions (for example, the line in question is mumbled by the actor speaking it, or said in a more lighthearted tone than its supposed to be, etc.). So, for example, I'll be watching an HP film for the first time and thinking "Oh, this scene is coming up, I hope I don't cry too much" and instead I just end up thinking "Meh" (example: everyone holding up their lit wands after Dumbledore's death, instead of the chaos/disbelief and emotion that actually followed such a dramatic event). It's not the case with every serious scene in the films of course, as, for example, Harry's reaction to Sirius' death in the OOTP film really got to me.

Another pet peeve is probably Hermione being turned into a bit of a Mary Sue character in the films, and Ron's character being, for the most part, reduced to comic relief. Also, how most of the films make it seem like Hermione is a better friend to Harry than Ron (that scene at the end of HBP when Ron is practically excluded from what was supposed to be a trio scene about Ron and Hermione insisting that Harry was not going it alone was really irritating). However, Deathly Hallows Part 1 did a lot to fix these problems in my opinion, and it's one of the reasons it's my favourite HP film so far.

"You need your Inner Eye tested, if you ask me.
" - Ron Weasley

"I don't know where you learned about right and wrong, but you
seem to have missed a few crucial lessons." - Molly Weasley

Last edited by Dead Star; April 27th, 2011 at 6:17 am.
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:42 am
First Year

There's no Peeves!!...I think they could have inserted him somewhere if they took pains to film the ghosts fluttering all around the Great hall

Also, in HP5(the film) the scene where the Weasley twins take off from school...that was so lamely potrayed.It could have been way better done and again there should have been Peeves saluting to them!

Old April 29th, 2011, 8:06 pm
First Year

The acting doesn't really bother me, i think they're all decent actors. I admit some of Daniels scene's are a bit iffy. The only thing that does bother me is how much they missed out of the book, to a certain extent the movies don't make sence for people who haven't read the books. It annoys me all the questions I get off friends.

Old May 1st, 2011, 6:44 am
Second Year

There's no Peeves... (lol, Peeves... pet-peeves, get it? Okay.) I think I'd just find it annoying if he was there. But he helps in some few storylines, so he should've been in the movie.

And some of the storylines change, or aren't released strongly when they cut important scenes or even lines in the movie that were important on telling the story in the book.
Like the discussion of Sirius, Lupin, and Snape in the Shrieking Shack, it seemed rash, they could've talked more. If it wasn't for the book, I would say Harry was crazy for doing what he did to Snape right away.

Drarry | Romione | Lupin/Tonks
Old May 1st, 2011, 7:01 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_potter_fan View Post
One of my biggest peves about the movies is the layout of Hogwarts. Why cant the entrance hall open directly onto the grounds like in the books? I must admit that the new bridge in Deathly Hallows is an improvement but I would have prefered the books version. Other than that I hate the whole second half of PoA which totally killed the movie and made no sense.

Where can one see side by side/or overlays of the changes in castle...I love the changes...I think it much better, but I get confused at times.

Old May 1st, 2011, 9:56 am
First Year

Quote:
There's no Peeves... (lol, Peeves... pet-peeves, get it? Okay.)
Yeah just noticed.

Old May 1st, 2011, 10:58 am
First Year

The fact that Dobby is only in 2 movies, when he should be in so many more.
The fact they didn't include Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party.

I can't remember if it's in the film or not, but one of my favourite scenes ever is the one right at the end of GoF when Harry gives his prize money to Fred and George. I'm pretty sure they missed that one out.

And also how in DH Part 1, they didn't show how Kreacher eventually ended up as being fairly loyal to the trio, cooking meals for them every night and so on... It's small and insignificant really, but I thought it was just a nice bit of the book and it really made me change my mind about Kreacher. Whereas my friends who haven't read the books claim him to be 'evil'. In some ways, I guess he is... But primarily I think he's loyal.

And more detail about the Quidditch World Cup would've been nice... Where was Winky?!

Last edited by Millie0810; May 1st, 2011 at 11:06 am.
Old May 1st, 2011, 4:54 pm
Second Year

I noticed in Prisoner of Azkaban and the movies after it... they kept on wearing Muggle clothing, what is up with that? They look stylish or normal, I wish the Weasleys and the other students or families in the Wizarding World wore it a bit out of style or ridiculously... since they're not that used to Muggle fashion. Even their uniforms turned a bit "Muggle-ish", I wish they sticked to the pointed hats like the one in the Sorcerer's Stone.

And they tend to brush off half-breeds or non-humans who make a big deal in the storyline...

Drarry | Romione | Lupin/Tonks
Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:09 am
First Year

I have only one serious pet peeve when it comes to the movies and that is the coffee shop scene at the beginning of HBP. There was absolutely no reason for this change. The scene from the book with Dumbledore and the Dursley's was funny and actually contributed to the story whereas the coffee shop scene did nothing for the story and portrayed Harry completely out of character.
I have always been able to overlook the movie's other faults but this is the thing that really gets under my skin. I just think we really missed out on a great scene which was swapped for a rather silly one.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:49 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Does anybody have any reasonable explanation as for why they thought that the Room of Requirements had to be changed? It irks me that they felt the need to change it, as if the continuity between films wasn't hard enough to follow...
It's inherent in the nature that the room of requirement changes to meet the needs of the person who needs it.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 2nd, 2011, 2:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudleycanons View Post
I have only one serious pet peeve when it comes to the movies and that is the coffee shop scene at the beginning of HBP. There was absolutely no reason for this change. The scene from the book with Dumbledore and the Dursley's was funny and actually contributed to the story whereas the coffee shop scene did nothing for the story and portrayed Harry completely out of character.
I have always been able to overlook the movie's other faults but this is the thing that really gets under my skin. I just think we really missed out on a great scene which was swapped for a rather silly one.
I agree- it totally doesn't make sense at all. With Voldermort back & even the Ministry realized it, why would Harry be riding around on various trains in the greater London area? This is the movie where they show DE attacking the Millieum Bridge in the Muggle world.

In the book PS, Hagrid leaves Harry at Paditon Station after shopping at Diagon Alley but Surbiton Station is on an entirely different line (Waterloo line), both of which serve Surrey. I remember from my summer term at Kingston Uni, where Surbiton was my home station, it took changing a couple trains just to get to Paditon Station.

Last edited by tuxedocat; May 2nd, 2011 at 2:33 am.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 6:36 pm
First Year

Not much really just some of the plot points. It's just better two treat the books and movies as two completely different things.

Old May 4th, 2011, 3:45 am
Third Year

My biggest pet peeve is Emma acting in POA through HBP. She moves her eyerbrows too much, she over acts and they ditch her bushy hair!

Also the some certain scenes seem rushed and they cut some many imporant parts from the books

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old May 4th, 2011, 4:06 am
First Year

I really hate how they gloss over Ron so much in the 6th movie. That last scene where they are talking annoys me SO MUCH. Harry and Hermione are talking about next year and not coming to Hogwarts, and they gave Hermione all of Ron's lines from the book, while you can see Ron slightly in the shot, but not with them until the very end. It just bothers me EVERY time I watch that movie. Though, admittedly, that's not too often, I really didn't like that one, they changed WAY too much.

Seriously, the Burrow being attacked at Christmas?!

Officially Sorted!

"I know it's been such a long time since we've just been friends and not soldiers on the frontline of a war we were born into, but we need to do this together." Ministry of Magic - Don't Leave

My fanfiction:
http://fanfiction.net/~emeraldfire512

Last edited by EmeraldFire512; May 6th, 2011 at 4:58 pm.
Old May 6th, 2011, 9:56 am
Second Year

I HATED when they let the DE burn down the Burrow in the 6th movie D:
that was simply overdone and annoying. I hated it. As if they forcefully wanted to add more action. BOO.

and then how different Harry, Ron and Hermione are described in the book. siince I saw the movies first I don't care THAT much but it always annoys me when I read the books now.

Old May 8th, 2011, 3:13 am
Third Year

The Knight Bus scene. I find it so long and unnecessary. It is among my least favorite scenes in the entire series. It's probably up there with the waitress scene in HBP, but since it is so much longer (and the humor so annoying) it ranks as my #1 pet peeve.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Old May 8th, 2011, 9:13 pm
Second Year

I also don't like how much romantic stuff they chose to include in the HBP. It seems too overdone as if they think the audience grew up and now also wants to see some love parts. With the love potion and poisining Ron. I don't know but I think it was unnecessary. I get that we needed Harry to bond with Slughorn but it was still a little boring.

Old May 16th, 2011, 9:50 pm
First Year

Everything that I thought was annoying has already been said but I know this is not a big deal to most but the interaction between Arthur and Lucius in CoS was just wrong. Lucius has just insulted Arthur's family and all Arthur does in the movie is puff his cheeks and look like an idiot. The Arthur in the book is very royal to his family and would not just stand there and do nothing. Completely out of character.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies