Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old June 30th, 2010, 6:38 pm
First Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

I think they should give Snape a bigger role!

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2010, 8:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombe View Post
I think they should give Snape a bigger role!
Amen.

I am a proud, witty Ravenclaw!
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:11 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
I believe the acting has improved over the years, especially on Dan's part. I think the fact that he got the part of Harry Potter was a complete fluke, however, he's proven he can indeed act in the later movies. The thing that bothers me about Emma is that she acts mostly through the movement of her eyebrows. It was really distracting, particularly in OOtP. C'mon, Hermione, lighten up a bit.

This is what really makes me cringe throughout the films:
-Malfoy's face AND hair in SS and CoS
Why did this make you cringe? In the first two films Tom matched the novels' description of Draco absolutely perfectly. He's very close to how I imagine the character.

Dan's acting in the Deathly Hallows trailer has made me very enthusiastic about the final two films. He has grown immensely and I feel we need to give him credit for that.

Old July 1st, 2010, 12:59 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
Why did this make you cringe? In the first two films Tom matched the novels' description of Draco absolutely perfectly. He's very close to how I imagine the character.
I don't know, he just looked so goofy during some serious moments in those films, especially when he smirked or tried to look scornful. I supposed it's not totally cringeworthy, but I found it distracting and sometimes silly. Besides these few moments, I think Tom Felton did an excellent job in SS and CoS, considering his age. His acting was definitely better than that of the trio.

Old July 1st, 2010, 1:07 am
Fourth Year

He's older than the trio too, I think that's something you have to consider. Anyway, I felt that the "goofiness" you refer to was somewhat intended. This is an eleven year old character who thinks he rules the school. It is silly and I believe that might be the point. Harry's not intimidated by him and we as the audience aren't supposed to be either.

Old July 1st, 2010, 1:15 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother_mercury View Post
I hate the fact that they left out the scene where Kreature has the locket/real horcrux in OOtP, considering it's a major plot point in DH, and a motivation for thr trio to return to Grimmuald pl.
The locket is only mentioned in passing in OoTP, and the seventh book wasn't out at the time. You couldn't have expected them to include that.

Old July 1st, 2010, 1:55 am
Second Year

Quote:
Anyway, I felt that the "goofiness" you refer to was somewhat intended. This is an eleven year old character who thinks he rules the school. It is silly and I believe that might be the point. Harry's not intimidated by him and we as the audience aren't supposed to be either.
I understand that some sort of silliness was supposed to be present in his demeanor, because young Draco was a somewhat cunning, yet clumsy, bully, which is an awkward combination. I think Felton did a pretty great job of potraying that, but I also feel that it was exagerrated sometimes. Child actors, no matter what amount of experience they may have, might take their lines or their facial expressions, etc., over the top because maybe they're still honing their skills. Now, having never been a child actor, I'm not sure if that's really the case, but it's just an idea. That's all I'm sayin', Dude.

Old July 1st, 2010, 2:39 am
First Year

It really, really bugs me that many of the wizards - such as Mr. Weasley in CoS and Slughorn in HBP - refer to various things in the world as if they don't know of it. This even happens in the books and to me it's a bit far-fetched. I do realize that - at least in the first two books/movies - this was done to include a child-friendly goofiness to the movies, but still.

Examples : in CoS (movie) - Mr Weasley asks Harry what the function of a rubber duck is
in HBP (movie) - Slughorn asks Hermoine if being a dentist is a dangerous profession, this one stands out most, because of course wizards would need to have oral hygiene, no?
in GOF (book, i think) - Ron screams into the telephone asking if Harry can go to the quiddich cup. I mean this one is a bit excusable, but wouldn't wizards know what a phone is and how to use it?

Old July 1st, 2010, 2:57 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Twit View Post
It really, really bugs me that many of the wizards - such as Mr. Weasley in CoS and Slughorn in HBP - refer to various things in the world as if they don't know of it. This even happens in the books and to me it's a bit far-fetched. I do realize that - at least in the first two books/movies - this was done to include a child-friendly goofiness to the movies, but still.

Examples : in CoS (movie) - Mr Weasley asks Harry what the function of a rubber duck is
in HBP (movie) - Slughorn asks Hermoine if being a dentist is a dangerous profession, this one stands out most, because of course wizards would need to have oral hygiene, no?
in GOF (book, i think) - Ron screams into the telephone asking if Harry can go to the quiddich cup. I mean this one is a bit excusable, but wouldn't wizards know what a phone is and how to use it?
I think Mr. Weasley was just exceptionally curious about the Muggle world because his job revolved aroung Muggle-Wizard relations. Maybe he saw it as his duty to have a complete understanding of their world and the objects in it. And I think wizards probably have some minty, anti-cavity elixir for all of their oral hygienic needs, so maybe Slughorn was just trying to politely converse with Hermione. Or maybe he was geniunely curious, who knows. As for Ron, maybe younger wizards have no real need to concern themselves with the matter of learning how to operate a machine Muggles use for communication. I found that part in GoF really funny, so I'm glad he was ignorant.

In other news...I like your signature pic. "Ayyyyye!"

Old July 1st, 2010, 3:10 am
Fourth Year

I agree with theboywholived regarding wizards having a poor understanding of Muggle objects. She explained it really well.

Quote:
I understand that some sort of silliness was supposed to be present in his demeanor, because young Draco was a somewhat cunning, yet clumsy, bully, which is an awkward combination. I think Felton did a pretty great job of potraying that, but I also feel that it was exagerrated sometimes. Child actors, no matter what amount of experience they may have, might take their lines or their facial expressions, etc., over the top because maybe they're still honing their skills. Now, having never been a child actor, I'm not sure if that's really the case, but it's just an idea. That's all I'm sayin', Dude.
I get you and can definitely see where you're coming from. There is one line in I think SS that I've always felt Tom overdid, although at the moment I can't quite remember what it is.

Old July 1st, 2010, 3:29 am
First Year

Quote:
I think Mr. Weasley was just exceptionally curious about the Muggle world because his job revolved aroung Muggle-Wizard relations. Maybe he saw it as his duty to have a complete understanding of their world and the objects in it. And I think wizards probably have some minty, anti-cavity elixir for all of their oral hygienic needs, so maybe Slughorn was just trying to politely converse with Hermione. Or maybe he was geniunely curious, who knows. As for Ron, maybe younger wizards have no real need to concern themselves with the matter of learning how to operate a machine Muggles use for communication. I found that part in GoF really funny, so I'm glad he was ignorant.

In other news...I like your signature pic. "Ayyyyye!"
That's all very plausible, but I just feel that the average reader won't go that in depth to figure out why each character is saying what they're saying you know? Either way, it's a minor gripe, and hasn't affected how much I adore the series.

And awesome! A fellow Spaced lover!

Old July 1st, 2010, 5:37 am
First Year

Hermione's hair and the lack of Winky. Both lacking aspects that detract from my enjoyment of the movies.

I mean seriously... her hair isn't bushy enough at all.

wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Old July 1st, 2010, 5:44 am
First Year

more house elves

Old July 1st, 2010, 8:46 am
First Year

They should explain the story more. A people who hasn't read the books and goes to the cinema understand nothing. They just skip big parts of the story!

Old July 1st, 2010, 3:34 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

One of my biggest pet peeves is how they have taken it upon themselves to change the effect of many of the spells to knocking people off their feet backwards. In the movies, expelliarmus and stupefy both have the same effect of blowing the victim backwards, where expelliarmus should just disarm and stupefy should just put them into a sort of coma. I'm not sure it helps the movie; I have always felt that all of the different little spells add to the magic.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old July 1st, 2010, 6:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves is how they have taken it upon themselves to change the effect of many of the spells to knocking people off their feet backwards. In the movies, expelliarmus and stupefy both have the same effect of blowing the victim backwards, where expelliarmus should just disarm and stupefy should just put them into a sort of coma. I'm not sure it helps the movie; I have always felt that all of the different little spells add to the magic.

Very true. I remember in PoA when they're all in the shrieking shack, Expelliarmus is used multiple times, once it harmlessly knocks a wand out of someones hand, then Harry uses it on Snape and it blows him away.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 4:20 am
Second Year

What really bugs me the most is the added scenes in the movies that weren't in the books. There weren't a ton of those in the earlier movies, but I really hated that they added the burning-of-the-Burrow thing in HBP. Personally, I didn't see a point in it, and it just makes the movie bring the book to life less. When I watch the HP movies, I like to see the book come to life in them. The added scenes just put a damper on that.

I've been Sorted.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 5:07 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The Burrow burning gave Molly a further reason to hate Bella. If trying to kill her children wasn't enough, Bella also destroyed Molly's home. It was a good addition IMO.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 8:07 am
Fourth Year

The burning of the Burrow I felt was a good addition. In the book the trio is constantly reading headlines of people being murdered, families being torn apart, etc. The Burrow burning was a visual representation of all those instances tied into one occurrence that put things in striking perspective.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 8:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
The burning of the Burrow I felt was a good addition. In the book the trio is constantly reading headlines of people being murdered, families being torn apart, etc. The Burrow burning was a visual representation of all those instances tied into one occurrence that put things in striking perspective.
Yes, I absolutely agree with this. It made things easier to imagine, to understand, when we see a scene that wraps all the emotions together. If the trio were just shown as reading the Daily Prophet or something during the movie, it wouldn't have had that much of an effect, don't you think? It was thoughtful of them to add it in IMO.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies