Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:20 am
First Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
It only matters that Harry's eyes are the same color as his mother, and so far that hasn't even been important in the movies. I don't recall that Slughorn gave up the correct memory because of Harry's eye color as he did in the book, and we've yet to learn whether Snape says "Look at me" as he dies. Those two occurrences turned out to be the only times Lily's eye color was important to the plot.

The importance of Lily's eye color isn't what bothered me. Simply that Harry was described as having green eyes and it was an expectation that I had of him. Just like all the Weasley's are described as having red hair. It has no importance to the plot whatsoever, but if Ron had come on screen with brown hair, people would probably have been annoyed because red hair is a Weasley characteristic. Or if they changed the shape of Harry's scar to something other than a lightening bolt... Sure, the plot isn't affected, but it bothers me nonetheless.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Last edited by caitsQuill; June 28th, 2010 at 12:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2010, 1:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSirius237 View Post
I REALLY hated the fact that in the end of the 6th movie, after Dumbledore died, that the entire battle just stops and everyone raises their wands. I mean, It's a battle for heavens sake! If someone dies in war does everyone just stop to pay homage to the deceased, and then everything is okay? NO! It doesn't convey the state of chaos that everything is in if just by raising your wand you can stop the battle! Also, they didn't show Dumbledore's funeral! Instead, they just showed Ron, Harry, and Hermione on the top of the owlery! To any normal HP fan, this might have annoyed them a bit, but I am not a normal fan (let's face it, if you're on this site, you are not ordinary). I've read the series 20 times, and I'm only 13, so this bugged me so much that I couldn't take it, and I actually stormed out of the theatre, utterly confusing my friends who have never read the series and didn't realise that anything was wrong. They just thought I was crazy...

There really was no battle. They decided to leave it out because they thought it would be too repetitive to Deathly Hallows.

COS

Pottermore
Old June 28th, 2010, 1:36 am
Fourth Year

About the eyes: in the novels, Avada Kedavra is green, as are Harry's eyes. In Half-Blood Prince and I'm guessing Deathly Hallows as well, Avada Kedavra is changed to blue to match Dan's eye color.

Old June 28th, 2010, 1:58 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked the part of everyone holding up their wands after Dumbledore dies. That was so touching. I didn't like the waitress scene at the beginnning of HBP nor did I like the Burrow burning down.

Old June 28th, 2010, 3:10 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

1- Chris Columbus' direction in the first movie which I thought was clunky and very "Hollywood"

2- The habit of characters in the first two movies to say the name of a character when they entered a room

For example...in COS when Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore entered the room, Harry said "Professor McGonagall!......Professor Dumbledore!"

Yes Harry, they are, and we know!

3-The fact that the enforced title change JK Rowling was pressured into with the book "The Philosopher's Stone" carried over into the movie as well.

4- The way Michael Gambon choose to portray Dumbledore after Richard Harris' serene performance, which is disappointing because I respect Gambon very much as an actor.

5-The special effect of the ghosts swooping down into the Great Hall in TPS, which was awful and badly done.

6- The awkward way they dubbed the line "...before the stairs move again" into TPS

7- Vernon Dursley having weird crossed eyes in POA. Why does he have them? They look ridiculous as crossed eyes in movies usually do. I don't recall his eyes ever being like that before or since.

8- The absolutely baffling decision to exclude or minimise all the flashback scenes from TDH revolving around Voldemort, Merope, Tom Riddle, Ogden, Marvolo and Merope.

9- The decision to replace Genevieve Gaunt as Pansy Parkinson

10- Lavender Brown being played by a black actress...AND....a white actress. What was the point? Why not just cast another black actress? Or why not just cast a white actress to begin with?

11- Marcus Flint having such awful teeth.

12- The way they portrayed Umbridge's "hem hem" habit. I was expecting something like a girlish clearing of a throat, but they went in a bizarre other direction and she sounded like a dolphin or something similar

13- Lupin's erm.....wolf form. Is that supposed to be a wolf? It looked more like a greyhound.

That'll do.

Old June 28th, 2010, 3:12 am
Fourth Year

^ Lavender was a black actress at first?

COS

Pottermore
Old June 28th, 2010, 3:28 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Lavender Brown has been played by three actresses.

Kathleen Cauley (who is black) in COS (non-speaking role)

Jennifer Smith (who is also black) in POA (another non-speaking role)

Jessie Cave (who is white) in HBP (larger speaking role)

According to the HP Wiki

Old June 28th, 2010, 3:30 am
Fourth Year

How odd. I understand her role didnt speak in those movies, but do we see her at all? I dont recall.

COS

Pottermore
Old June 28th, 2010, 4:06 am
First Year

HPB, the kissing scene between Harry and Ginny, ***? And all the romance between them wasn't necessary.

Old June 28th, 2010, 4:08 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
3-The fact that the enforced title change JK Rowling was pressured into with the book "The Philosopher's Stone" carried over into the movie as well
I believe thats only in the US. I saw a poster for the film and it said Philosopher's Stone somewhere and i remarked how rare that is. I believe that poster to be imported.

Never really knew that about Lavender because you dont get a real introduction to her character until the HBP film.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old June 28th, 2010, 4:09 am
Fourth Year

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure Lavender is of European descent in the novels.

Old June 28th, 2010, 4:41 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
About the eyes: in the novels, Avada Kedavra is green, as are Harry's eyes. In Half-Blood Prince and I'm guessing Deathly Hallows as well, Avada Kedavra is changed to blue to match Dan's eye color.
Perhaps AK and Harry's eyes both being green is merely a coincidence. Remember Mark Evans?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 28th, 2010, 4:58 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Perhaps AK and Harry's eyes both being green is merely a coincidence. Remember Mark Evans?
I don't think so.

Gryffindor, Voldemort's eyes, and Expelliarmus are all red.
Slytherin, Harry's eyes, and Avada Kedavra are all green.

It's a back-and-forth game of parallels.

Old June 28th, 2010, 5:52 am
Third Year

My biggest pet peeve is that Dobby only appears in the movie once! And when he does he seems like a nuisance to Harry not a friend.

Thanks to AldeberanBlack for the spell check

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Last edited by Nyjets4004; June 28th, 2010 at 6:46 pm.
Old June 28th, 2010, 4:15 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 View Post
My biggest pet peeve is that Dobby only appears in the movie once! And when he does he seems like a nuicesnsee (spell check any one? my computer cant recognize the word lol) to Harry not a friend.
Nuisance

Old June 28th, 2010, 5:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedgurltuja27 View Post
1) The acting, as a whole, sucks. Sorry to all you Dan and Emma lovers, but I really do not think that the two can act. And with their characters being the 2 most important that just makes the whole movie horrible.
I believe the acting has improved over the years, especially on Dan's part. I think the fact that he got the part of Harry Potter was a complete fluke, however, he's proven he can indeed act in the later movies. The thing that bothers me about Emma is that she acts mostly through the movement of her eyebrows. It was really distracting, particularly in OOtP. C'mon, Hermione, lighten up a bit.

This is what really makes me cringe throughout the films:
-When Lupin puts on the record player during their first lesson with boggarts in PoA. I think it's super cheesy.
-Malfoy's face AND hair in SS and CoS
-Dan's line delivery throughout most of SS and CoS. He has some geniune moments of authenticity in those films, but mostly it's forced and painful-sounding.
-Pretty much all of GoF. When Dumbledore's hand is trembling while he touches the Goblet during the selection ceremony, when Malfoy is sitting in the tree, taunting Potter (can't really explain why this irks me, it just does), the entrance of the Beauxbaton and Durmstrang students, the pace at which the film moved, the general suckiness of the adaptation. I will admit, it's probably one of the most fun Potter movies to watch.
-OOtP and HBP needed MUCH more Luna, for sure.

Old June 30th, 2010, 6:17 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRTyGiRL089 View Post
I agree with you,, but you don't have to be so hard on the actors cause they're doing the best they can.. And once you get used to them, They're not that bad at acting..
I agree with this. The problem is should they have gotten newer and better actors every movie? I much rather them stick with the same actors and when you start people acting that young, you do not know how they will blossom as an actor or actress.

They have gotten plenty better IMO so it doesn;t matter to me.

My biggest gripe about the movies was in one movie and that was HBP. I think they really missed the mark on what to include and not include in this movie. there was tons of back story parts and the invasion of hogwarts should have been done bigger and better and they could have cut out stuff like Ron and lavender.

These are suppose to be very dark times but it didn't potray that in the movie, at least not enough anyways.

Old June 30th, 2010, 6:35 am
Fourth Year

One of my biggest peves about the movies is the layout of Hogwarts. Why cant the entrance hall open directly onto the grounds like in the books? I must admit that the new bridge in Deathly Hallows is an improvement but I would have prefered the books version. Other than that I hate the whole second half of PoA which totally killed the movie and made no sense.

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old June 30th, 2010, 4:28 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

RE: the "Philosopher's Stone" name. I know it was only changed for the US, but I felt that they should have used the proper title for the film, in line with the rest of the world.

That aside, I find Emma Watson's eyebrows to be rather distracting. It's pedantic, I know, but it's a slight peeve.

Old June 30th, 2010, 5:36 pm
First Year

I hate the fact that they left out the scene where Kreature has the locket/real horcrux in OOtP, considering it's a major plot point in DH, and a motivation for thr trio to return to Grimmuald pl.

That, and the fact that they totally created the scene of the attack on the Burrow in movie HBP!!! Grrrr

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies