Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

A Weasley in Ravenclaw

Old October 17th, 2007, 9:50 am
First Year

A Weasley in Ravenclaw

“Ginny, are you mad? Why did you bring LUNA here? I mean, she’s nice and all, and we got to like her in during the war when she kept the DA running, but putting her in the same house as George is SCARY! I mean, what if she starts talking about crumple-horned snorcacks? George’ll come up with bad jokes about that for the next one year!” Ron burst out as Ginny and Harry led Luna into the Ministry, now headed by Kingsley, for a defeat-of Voldemort anniversary party.
Glancing over her shoulder to ensure that Luna was out of earshot and, sure that no one could hear their little chat, she turned her glare on Ron. She argued, “For your own information, that was our joint idea, she said, gesturing towards Harry, then continuing, “after all, Luna was really brave, and was the DA’s leader along with Neville and me, she did contribute to the victory. Besides, it’s really mean of you to say that about Luna, even you admit that she’s nice. In fact, she’ll probably cheer George up with her Quibbler stuff. Especially since he’s been such a shadow since Fred died.”
Ron gave in, more because of Ginny’s McGonagall-like glare and the fact that his wife, Hermione looked ready to join in the argument, than because of Ginny’s speech. Soon, he left with Harry to find old friends.
George Weasley had heard the argument, and was amused by Ron’s description of Luna. He decided to hang around her a bit to get himself laughing, after all, it would be fun. He walked towards Luna and greeted her by saying, “Hi, you’re Luna, Ginny’s Ravenclaw friend, right?”
To his surprise, she didn’t return his greeting, but replied dreamily, “Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.” George chuckled inwardly; he couldn’t imagine his sensible sister walking arm in arm with this girl. Yes, she would be good fun to hang around with. He asked her innocently, “So, what do you think about cumple-horned snorkacks?” He expected her to chirp on about her pet subject, and give him a decently amusing afternoon.
However, she glanced at him for a while and laughed. “I know that few people are broad-minded enough to believe in Snorcacks, and you’re obviously not one of those elite people.”
George was extremely surprised. She was the first person to render him speechless and jokeless, Fred used to be the only one who could do that. At the thought of Fred, his eyes misted over for a while, but shook his head immediately, not wishing to end up as a watery dishrag and spoil everyone’s fun. He turned back to face Luna. She stated quietly, “You’re upset about your twin brother. It’s all right, you’ll see him again. When you go on as well. We all do. I’ll be looking forward to seeing my mum; she went when I was nine.”
George was stunned. No one ever mentioned anything about this Luna person being so TACTFUL. He looked up, half-disbelieving, steeling himself to find her laughing, and that she was simply pulling his leg. On the contrary, she appeared truly sympathetic, and he asked hesitatingly, “I’m sorry ‘bout your mum and all, but what do you mean, ‘go on’? Will I ever see Fred again?”
Luna answered serenely, “There’s no need to feel sorry, and it’s just a matter of time before I go on as well. And I mean by go on that you just go through the veil in the Department of Mysteries and die. You’ll see your family again, and it’s not painful at all. I’m sure.”
George sputtered, “But my dad’s a ministry worker and he doesn’t know all that, how d o you know about the veil and stuff?”
Luna replied, “In my fourth year, me and Ginny and Neville followed Ron, Harry and Hermione to the Department of Mysteries where Voldemort was planning to steal the prophecy. Harry’s godfather, whom he went to save, fell through the veil laughing. It’s not painful. And in my sixth year, when the Carrows were torturing me for leading the DA in rescuing the other students, I saw my mum, somehow, telling me that it’s all right, and stuff. Then when I asked about dying, she said it doesn’t hurt at all.”
George’s face reddened. He wasn’t sure why Luna was revealing so much to a complete stranger, but somehow it didn’t feel awkward to him. She had a knack of making him feel at home, he wondered why Ginny used to say that she was famous for unpleasant truths. Luna seemed nice, and he really liked her, even though she wasn’t a Gryffindor.
He decided to slip out for a while to the joke shop, perhaps tricking a few people into eating Chicken Candies, Canary Creams and the rest of his bird sweets would stop him from daydreaming about nonsense… him and Luna would never get together, that was that! Now that his mind was made up, he Apparated into Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, took a few bird sweets from the shelves, nodded to his assistant, and Disapparated back into the ministry. Once there, he put the pile onto the corner of the table, making sure that no one noticed. Suddenly, someone said from behind him, “I wouldn’t eat that, seeing that it’s probably your birdy stuff.” He turned sharply, seeing Luna standing there, and asked disappointedly, “Ginny told you about them, right?” He didn’t mean it as a question, but she answered, again to his surprise, “No, but I guessed that you were up to no good.”
George cocked an eyebrow, and pointed to the table instead. Percy, his older brother, now a high ministry official, was offering one of the birdies to his only superior, Kingsley, the Minister himself. Kingsley very unknowingly took one and thanked him. George muttered ‘Weatherby’ to himself, and grinned as Kingsley turned into a nice, fluffy yellow chicken. George burst out laughing as Kingsley gave a startled-sounding cluck and Percy bowed again and again in solemn apology, all the while glancing around, and, seeing George, his pompous face lit up with anger and he said, “I’ll be back soon.” Then, he went after George, looking absolutely murderous. Luna was also laughing, so he assumed that she was in it as well, and chased after her while keeping an eye on George. Finally, George caught hold of Luna’s arm and Disapparated to his joke shop. Luna was still laughing and he worried about her mentality. Finally, she stopped and said, “How do you make one of these? My dad’ll look good as a canary!” George laughed and led her into the laboratory, which he shared only with Fred.
There, she proved to be a natural at potions, and even added a few extra ingredients to give each canary a look that suggested the wizard’s personality. George was really pleased, and began thinking about taking her as a joint partner. After all, she seemed to enjoy this business. He showed her around the shop, and pointed out the fake wands, at which she laughed so hard that he had to get her out of the shop. Once outside, she said, “Thanks for that tour. Can I become a junior partner in the store? It’s great! Let’s figure out something in two days’ time, at Ginny’s birthday celebration. I’ll show you a picture of my dad as a canary then. Till then, bye!” And, with a twirl, she was gone.
George shook his head, and returned to the celebration, feeling a lot better.

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:12 am
First Year

Re: A Weasley in Ravenclaw

um, i forgot to include the feedback thread in the last post so, here it is(and just tell me how horrible it is. i won't mind. or maybe i will):
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=113100

Old October 19th, 2007, 5:42 pm
First Year

Re: A Weasley in Ravenclaw

ok, for this one i skipped a couple of days to Ginny's birthday celebration. this has to be short 'cos i don't have much time, but anyway, just read!
================================================== ========
"George, what're you doing? I thought you were comng to the celebration?" Mrs Weasley asked with a hint of danger in her voice as though she would hex George if he missed her only daughter's coming-of-age.
"Yeah, only I'm preparing her birthday present!" George yelled back as he grinned evilly to himself, adding a few finishing touches to the joke broomstick that would squirt water onto your face if you tried to mount it. Yes, it was the perfect present for Ginny, who had been looking disgustingly lovesick these days. He was feeling much better these days, and was already beginning to create more jinxed items for his joke shop. No one was sure why he was recently in such a good mood, but neither was anyone complaining.
"Yeah, I'm ready now, see you at 12 Grimmauld Place in a second!" And with a spn, George felt the familiar tightening ensation as he Apparated towards Grimmauld Place with his gift.
When he reached there, he saw Luna chatting to Harry and Ginny. Ginny was giggling behind her palm as she pretended to cough and Harry was smling slightly. George was ready for a joke, and crept nearer to listen to what Luna was saying.
"Ooh, Harry, are you really coming back to Hogwarts? That's great, you'll be in the same year as Ginny and me, I heard that Hagrid's going to teach us about Blibbering Humdingers! But really, wouldn't Hogwarts seem rather slow and dull to you after chasing Voldemort?"
George grinned. Luna was certainly going to be good fun. Maybe he wouldn't desert party when Ginny received his present after all. He was confident that staying for a few extra hours would be worth it, especially when Ginny unwrapped her present from him.
Luna suddenly turned up beside him, with her eyes twinkling slightly. "They always think that I actually believe in Blibbering Humdingers. I don't mind, it gives everyone plenty to laugh about, but really, how they don't believe in Crumple-horned Snorkacks is really beyond me." George's eyes widened when he heard the first bit, but when Luna went on, he could only laugh and shake his head.
"Well, never mind about Crumple-horned Humdingers and all that, where's thepicture that you promised me?" Luna grinned and produced a movng pcture of a startled-looking canary trying to hold up a copy of the Quibbler with its new-found wings. He couldn't help laughing, that canary really looked as though it would believe in Snorkacks. Luna joined in, clutching herself as she rolled back and forth.
"That was FUNNY! Oh, this is like having a friend apart from Harry and Ginny and the rest!" Luna gasped in between her fits of laughter. George stared at her in disbelief, shaking his head and once again thinking that this evening would be good fun. Luna was not Fred, and no one could ever replace him, but Luna would make the loss less terrible, she would make up for it...
"No, no,and no! I ought to get back too my senses! This is almost as bad as the soppy lovebirds, Ginny and Harry!" George exclaimed, not knowing that he had said ths out loud.
Luna looked at him curiously, but said only, "Ginny and Harry are nice together, although they do look slghtly soppy... Hey, have you ever wondered what a Lovebird Lollipop will make a person look like?"
George was so impressed by this idea that he decided to go back to the joke shop and make a Lovebird Lollipop immediately. "Let's go, assistant!" He beamed at Luna, and, wth a loud crack, both Disapparted to the joke shop.
================================================== ========
yeah, this is a little sudden, but i'll save the joke shop for the next post, till then, this'll be all that you'll get. and remember, FEEDBACK HERE.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts