Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

Tom Riddle and the Pure-Blood Prince

Old March 24th, 2011, 1:34 am
Fourth Year

Re: Tom Riddle and the Pure-Blood Prince

Please review! I never thought I would make it this far in. The following is the final chapter of Part Two (the Sixth year). This jumps ahead and is also a surprising event.

Chapter Forty-six: A Severed Connection

With flying colours Tom Riddle passed the apparition test in May. Some would be doing it over again this summer, including Eileen.

It was a relief to journey back to King Cross alone. Riddle would no longer board the Hogwarts Express. He’d gotten his license and was of age. This summer he’d still be a ward of Wool’s orphanage, but at the same time he would spend as little time in London as possible. The Lestrange family was allowing him the summer in their castle.

“Let us talk…In the Drawing room. Not here,” Eileen’s mother looked around the books, they reminded her of her late husband.

Her one passion besides the house, was money. The widow did not want Graham’s memory to be strong. Marie mustn’t fall apart. There was the ministry’s treasury and her precious little boy. But Eileen, was an oddball. Her daughter was intelligent but lately there was something wrong. Like an animal sniffing out another’s weaknesses, Marie had noticed it since the prior summer.

“Eileen, dear…What went on that morning last summer? You were acting funny.”

There was no answer as the girl looked up from her reading. Marie Prince stood clad in wispy black robes, silver hair knotted in an elaborate do. She was pretty, except for the hooked nose. Eileen had a beaky nose, more like father’s. However, the elixir perfected the shape, bringing it to a reduced size.

“Don’t you remember? You were acting strange. You were screaming in your sleep and there was cuts on your arms…”

“Oh that…” Eileen frowned. She had figured out that it had something to do with Voldemort, but even she didn’t know what happened.

Marie prompted her daughter again. “It was nothing but – a b-bad dream. A nightmare, mum! Forget it.”

“It was funny though.” the mother squinted, riddled with doubt.

“To the drawing room then. There is another matter to discuss. It requires our full attention.”

Marie strode down the gloomy, neglected corridors of her mansion. The widow and her son did not take up much space, even if the Pureblood crowd visited frequently.

Eileen followed resolutely; picking up that mum was in work mode. What had this to do with the ministry? Eileen could almost smell the galleons. Yes, this was about money. A money issue. Her mother had always been a miser.

Seven-year-old Francis came around the bend, striding languidly looking doleful and bored for such a young child.

“Your sister and I are attending to business. You may entertain yourself. Quietly.”

The boy’s little face titled upwards pouting. “I want to play! Me and Eileen were gonna do magic tricks. She said she’d teach me. Didn’t you Eileen?”

Marie took this much too seriously fuming, “Eileen! How dare you tell Francis he’s ready to do magic. He’s not old enough to carry a wand!”

“Oh, mother. Really! I was just going to see if his powers have manifest.”

“I suppose it was nothing,” said Marie calming down. “Francis you go to your nursery till dinner. No. Come with us. I think it necessary to hear what I have to say,” and a scorching look was thrown at her daughter.

Eileen wondered what she’d done to make her mother this way.

In the drawing room a gargantuan grandfather clock chimed the hour.

She chose a sturdy hassock; too nervous to sit on the velvet upholstered chairs. But Marie reposed on it like a queen. Francis went for the daybed in the window and in a dull stupor, kicked his legs high in the air and after that was infirm.

“Francis, please sit up straight for me.”

He listened, his feet swung, dangling over the edge of the sofa.

“I’m ready for whatever this is mother.”

Marie had gone over to the table and from it retrieved a heavy book. She slammed it into her lap.

“This is my Gringotts accounting book. My personal funds. Not the ministry’s” her eyes raked up and down, glaringly.

But Eileen was genuinely flummoxed. “So? You’ve let me have my own bank account since I was sixteen.”

“Yes,” said Marie in a clipped voice. “However you will not speak with such mendacious pretense in my house! You know very well what I mean.”

“I don’t!” cried Eileen passionately. It was true, she hadn’t realized yet.

“You’ve been trickling money out of Graham’s account since the year before he died. Where did the money go Eileen?”

Tears stung Eileen’s eyes. It was sort of true.

“Mother I-”

“Spending the lot on yourself? Become a clotheshorse have you, since blossoming into womanhood? What did you do with over five-thousand galleons?”

“It wasn’t me. I can swear it,” Eileen began to cry. Somehow she sensed this was going to be the end. And she truly hadn’t spent a galleon in months.

“Where has it gone? The money was combined after my late husband’s death. That fortune belongs to me!”

“Wonderful news. So you’ve increased your wealth, by taking Dad’s money. You don’t deserve it. You were always as cold as a fish to him!”

Marie’s small mouth pursed unpleasantly and her demeanor grew more ill tempered. “Don’t talk about what you don’t understand. I-I married your father for the family connection. The Princes are one of the most esteemed Pureblood families in England. Now what did you with my galleons?”

“I can’t explain. I really don’t know…” Desperately Eileen wanted to shout the culprit. Tom Riddle demanded every follower to hand over their control of their family’s banking. Like a vulture, Voldemort descended on the Prince’s vaults and was slowly pinching it all from them.

What he was using it for, was only a guess even to Eileen.

One day, not far back Eileen had inquired on what he’d done with a particular large withdrawal. Riddle had acted unusually furious and almost jealous of Eileen. This was because Voldemort couldn’t actually go to the bank and withdraw the money. With no Gringgott’s key, nor an account there, it was impossible for him to do it himself. Gringott’s accounts were restricted only to the old Wizarding families. The Gaunts had left no money, living a reclusive life cut off from mainstream wizards.

And Riddle was demanding a pretty sum.

“If you don’t tell me…I shall have no choice but to do something I think you will regret,” said Marie slowly.

“Oh, what it is it?”

Marie looked to her son with loving eyes, but Eileen found it sickening. “I will not allow you to ruin my son’s future. It is not only me you’re hurting!”

“Mum…I can’t tell you what is happening. But I swear it isn’t me!”

Eileen sat down again. Woe be to him, if Riddle bothered for galleons again! He was ruining her life.

Marie paced around the room, wand out. “If you can’t explain yourself…I shall have no choice but to desert you. I will write Gringotts and make sure only I may get in the account henceforth. You will be restricted from going there to take my money! And in the bargain I disown you.”

“Disown me? Whatever for?”

“You have ruined my son’s future. You no longer deserve my good graces, dear daughter!”

“Mum…I’m so sorry. Don’t do this. If you d-disown me, Francis will have no one. Nobody but you.”

“Is that such a bad thing? I have friends at the ministry and there are the relatives. Francis will still have his uncles, his aunts, cousins. Everyone.” Marie seemed to be reassuring herself.

Eileen spoke up again, noticing this weak moment. “Francis! Francis! You want me to live here after I graduate Hogwarts next year, right? Don’t you?”

“I- I do. But mum-”

Francis was shrinking like a violet; clutching the waist of Marie’s robes and looking like an even younger child. He peered out and regarded his sister like a stranger and not like a sibling, his only sibling he had in the world.

Marie turned to her son and was glad to see this estranged feeling for Eileen. “See? This is for the greater good. I don’t know what Eileen gets up to. I smell something rotten in Denmark. Five thousand galleons didn’t just disappear….

“It is decided then. Eileen you may spend the summer here. I’ll give you time to secure your own place!”

“Mum you’re throwing me out?”

She nodded. And with the most sympathetic expression, implored again. “Please don’t do this. Look at Francis.

“Francis say something! Don’t let her do this to us.” In one last act of desperation, Eileen tried to get Francis to vouch for her. The voice of a little boy would surely count for something? But Francis thought wrongly that his mummy didn’t love his sister anymore, and it terrified him. Could mummy ever stop loving him? This event would have an impact on him for years to come.

“Francis has not matured to make such a decision. When he is older he will understand…”

Brother and sister were both crying.

“On the fire goes your inheritance. And I am removing you from my will.”

A scroll of papers was tossed into the fire.

“As head of the Prince family I demand this tapestry remove my daughter, Eileen Prince born 1927 from the wall. This moves signifies a binding magical declaration of which takes effect in every magical establishment at sundown.”

“NO!”

But it was too late. A stream shot out the mother’s wand and entwined over the image of Eileen’s face. There was a flash and then a hole appeared, a small conflagration erupted. The mark left was as ugly as a cigarette burn.

“There you are disowned.”

“It doesn’t change the fact that I’m Pureblood!” Eileen was sad, but also angry.

“That will never change.” The voice was level and calm. “You’re lucky your blood is cream of the crop. I suggest you clean up your act, girl! And stop associating with bad company.”

“Bad company?” Was it possible her mother discovered the connection to a group called the Dark Order?

“I mean your friends. Whoever they are. Clearly it was them that influenced you to act unwisely. I’m sensible enough to see this truth, Eileen! Your mother, was never a fool!”

“I-I…I hate you. You’ll never understand me. You’ll never know what I’ve been through!”

It was too much to bear. Dramatically, Eileen stole out the Drawing room.

Eileen did not stop running until she reached the end of the expansive gravelly driveway. It felt like she could have run forever, displaced from her roots there was nowhere to turn.

Heaving back sobs, she leant over the fountain.

That day she did not return to Stonewall Estate until dusk.

Inside her bedroom was the wooden chest to transport her wardrobe to and from Hogwarts. It now held her most treasured possessions, all she would be able to take with her. The few things left to her name. There was Marie’s lustrous pearl necklace. She’d been planning on giving it back. Defiantly, Eileen clutched it and decided to keep it. It was a valuable item, and at least she still had a small fortune of her own in the bank, but not nearly enough to support her for life.

NOTE: Please review! This helps explain why a Pureblood witch winds up marrying a muggle. Like Sirius Black, Eileen Prince is disowned from her wealthy family. How else could she have wound up on dingy Spinner’s End with a muggle?

Also, Eileen’s mother is a very unlikable woman. Eileen’s father had been the much kinder parent. However, Marie does love her daughter but casts her out due to fear. She thinks Eileen is sowing a bleak future (which is true). Marie is afraid, but deep down there is love there, and not just a black heart. She always loved Eileen, but lost connection with her heart as she got older.

NOTE: Please review! I think this could have been better.

My feedback link:

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=88376&page=15

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

Tom Riddle's death was the saddest in Deathly Hallows, because he never really lived.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2011, 5:37 pm
Fourth Year

Please review! This is the start of Part Three. But I am upset because this part does not have as much direction. Part One and Two were so good, and part three does not have as much plot according to me ‘Pensieve Plotter’. Sorry if it is lacking. But at least you will find part three to be very different. Eileen is changing!

Part Three: Going Under

Now I will tell you what I've done for you
Fifty thousand tears I've cried
Screaming, deceiving and bleeding for you
And you still won't hear me, going under

Don't want your hand this time, I'll save myself
Maybe I'll wake up for once
Not tormented daily, defeated by you
Just when I thought, I reached the bottom

I'm dying again, I'm going under
Drowning in you, I'm falling forever
I've got to break through, I'm going under

Blurring and stirring the truth and the lies
So I don't know what's real and what's not
So I don't know what's real and what's not
Always confusing the thoughts in my head

So I can't trust myself anymore
I've got to break through, I'm

So go on and scream
Scream at me, I'm so far away
I won't be broken again
I've got to breathe, I can't keep going under

I've got to break through, I'm going under
Going under, I'm going under

- 'Going Under' by Evanescence.

Chapter Forty-Eight: The White Pelican

Over the summer, Eileen had time to think. She made a plan. A plan to rid her life of Voldemort. Forever.

In boxes most of the belongings were transferred to a lonely, muggle warehouse. Next summer would be the hard task of finding a flat. The personal effects included the one tangible memory of Graham that Marie allowed: the Prince’s library. The priceless trove of books, full of ancient Wizarding lore, and tales of magic and luck and love were shipped off to a dingy warehouse. But Eileen, a lover of books swore to rescue them and offer them a place at her new home. Wherever that may be….

The Head Boy regarded the Head Girl like an overbearing bully, sizing her up.

Eileen did not want to hear what nasty thought was going through his head right now.

But it was announced aloud and rudely reminded her that they weren’t alone.

“An introduction is in order! Eileen Prince is the Head Girl. How astonishing that this girl, stands beside me. Eclipsing me with her skills and talents!” Riddle laughed sardonically. This was all a mean joke.

“Tell the Dark Order what happened."

“My Lord! Please. That is private-"

Voldemort addressed his followers. “Over the summer Eileen Prince, a Pureblood was cast out of her family. A pariah in the Wizarding world, she is now completely alone in the world. And yet this oddity, somehow made it to Head Girl.”

Eileen blushed.

“How touching, Dippet bestowed on you this gesture! For years, we've known and grown on each other! And now here we stand: side by side! In the same position. Like equals.”

The way he made it sound, it wasn't an accomplishment but instead an ironic twist of fate as if Eileen hadn't earned becoming Head Girl.

Eileen reeled as the large room erupted with jeering laughter. Nobody believed in her. Nobody liked her here. And they all thought Voldemort the better.

At the end of the night the followers lined up as if to a drill sergeant for inspection. Several of them were supposed to be working on becoming un-registered Animagi.

Riddle poked his wand under the nape of one of their necks, and tilted the head to get a clear look at the expression.

“And what can you do Macnair?”

“My Lord. I am not ready for you today. But-but wait! I have secured a place at the ministry after Hogwarts.”

“Doing what?”

“The Department of Magical Creatures wants me as their contractor. This is in the business of buying and selling magical beasts!”

Voldemort guffawed but moved on.

He stalked down to the next one.

“Surely you have managed it Dolohov?”

“Watch me.” Out of nowhere there was a pop and the tall, lanky frame of Dolohov transformed into an animagi.

“Very good. Excellent. You learned how to make yourself a, which reflects your inner nature. Of course, doing it under my proper instruction. This could be very useful to me in future.

“So…Antonin has managed to make himself an animagi. One that is unregistered with the ministry naturally. Your skills and talents will be very useful when I need to keep a low profile. I thank-you for your efforts.”

The young man transformed back to his normal form and bowed again and again.

Eileen patiently awaited her turn. But Riddle made sure to call upon her last.

“And what may I ask, does the talented Head Girl have to show?”

Eileen blushed. “M-my Lord. I can’t do it. I never liked Transfiguration. Even Professor Dumbledore knows it is my least favorite magical art besides Arithmancy.”

“You can’t do it? Or you won’t?”

“I won’t!” Eileen yelled before she had even knew what she was doing.

He reached forward with whisperings of threats resounding in her ears. Eileen was sure she heard “Imperius curse.”

“NO! But I can do this. Expecto Patronum!”

From the folds of her robes Eileen had had her wand and out blasted an opaque, luminous being.

Voldemort swooped down and away, almost frightened.

The luminous being that erupted from the wand started cantering around the room, looking at everything with shining points of light from it’s eyes.

Riddle for once was at a loss for what to do. He just stood there, turning back and forth from Eileen to the creature. His lips actually quivered, his chin actually wobbled.

“You can produce one?” he asked astonished. “That is highly advanced magic! Dumbledore himself said few can produce patronuses like that.”

“Yes, I can. I’ve been practicing for our Newts in Defence Against the Dark Arts, My Lord,” said Eileen smoothly, looked unruffled.

He looked completely and utterly surprised still.

“My patronus is a pelican,” announced Eileen proudly. “It comprises my form when I think of my loveliest memories. Mainly of my dad.”

Riddle did not get a chance to address this, nor regain his bearings. The Pelican started to fly towards him, it’s large beak protruding as if in attack. It seemed to have located an enemy.

The pelican’s beak assailed Tom Riddle, directly in front of them all. It actually knocked him over a chair.

After this, it was so silent a pin could be heard.

But Eileen felt a rising sense of triumph in her heart, no longer was she falling through a hole. She had just bested Tom Riddle at something. She was sure of it.

“This is unnecessary, unpractical magic. It is used against the Dark Arts,” spoke Riddle to the group, trying his best to sound unperturbed. “We do not have a place for this magic here. It is a force against Dark forces, I do not condone such tricks, Eileen!”

They all looked at him with wide eyes, but they seemed to believe this. And yet some of them scratched their heads framing a question in their minds. Could Lord Voldemort produce a patronus? They doubted him for the first time ever.

Riddle with his Legilimency was furious to hear the doubts ringing in their heads. But he knew he had no desire to make a patronus. Riddle was sure he could not, but then again, felt no need to.

Eileen made it disappear into smoke and vapor until it was gone.

Riddle rose slowly, drawing up to his full height.

“And that was indeed a pelican! Pelicans symbolize sacrifice. In fact, it is known for giving its blood.”

Eileen couldn’t help but correct him. “Giving its blood for its babies, My Lord. The Pelican will give its life only for her children.”

“It’s matters not who! It is after all, symbolic in relation to the caster. But you will give yourself in sacrifice someday. Your fortune is cast from this spell. That we can be sure of.”

Eileen looked away, but didn’t dare counter that this would not be a sacrifice to Lord Voldemort or worse to his cause.

At the end of the night, Eileen smiled to herself. The future would be a rocky one. But there was a confidence that the conundrum of Riddle would soon be out of the equation!

My feedback link:

NOTE: The pelican will matter for how Eileen feels about her son, Severus. Even though, Eileen proves to be a neglectful mother as we see in the Prince’s Tale, I still think she may have saved Snape with her love.

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

Tom Riddle's death was the saddest in Deathly Hallows, because he never really lived.

Last edited by LJB85; May 5th, 2011 at 12:41 am.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:40 am
Fourth Year

Please review!

Chapter Forty-nine: Brewing the Elixir

The rest of the autumn term passed uneventfully, but it was a very enjoyable time. Riddle had swiftly retreated from her life. Eileen felt spent and used. Now that he’d taken what he wanted, he no longer communicated so personally, but strangely enough, Eileen did not miss the company. And she had grown comfortable and accustomed to the delights and privilege of being Head Girl.

At first, Eileen was sure the newfound popularity and interest in her person would create friendships. But all it did make was acquaintances. Rubeus Hagrid remained a one and only true friend, and he was a very loyal and brave one at that.

It was two days before Christmas and Eileen was lost in thought, bearing a look of deep concentration. Inside she debated whether to have hopped on a Hogwarts sleigh and taken the train to mum and Francis. It might be their last Christmas together.

But just to spite Marie Eileen decided obstinately to make a no-show. But perhaps in the New Year, she would later decide to leave the grounds and apparate over!

Eileen clutched at a piece of foiled, gold paper. On it was a declaration that Eileen Prince was fully licensed to apparate and disapparate at will and leisure. Last summer, she had failed, but finally after the third try succeeded beautifully. Third time being the charm wasn’t half that bad. A few witches and wizards never mastered it and died without ever having passed.

Eileen hurried through the corridors and made it to the secluded bathroom where complete privacy was to be sure. But despite this ideal location, somebody did show up. So it was with irritation that Myrtle was received.

Eileen quickly dispelled the annoying girl-ghost. “Hey, Myrtle! I’m still wondering if it’s true that you peed in your pantyhose and wet the floor in First year! They say your teacher had to siphon it off the floor cause you hadn’t learnt the spell!”

The ghost flew away sobbing and screaming most theatrically. Eileen grimly came to the conclusion it had definitely happened given the speed with which Myrtle soared away.

Now at peace, rid of the ghost, she set rapidly to preparing the ingredients for another batch of Elixir. Everything had to be ready for exactly the right time intervals, but as a master of potions, it was expected to be a success.

The smoke and vapors rose from the cauldron and wafted into the ceiling vents and the young witch worked with back turned from the entrance. Gloves and goggles were donned; as some of the ingredients were lethal enough to kill when inhaled or even touched.

There was a sudden draft. Eileen jumped and was going to hide, but saw it would be an unnecessary move. She was cornered and out maneuvered by Head Boy, Tom Riddle who finally wished to speak alone.

Eileen remained startled, thinking of the fumes.

“So Rookwood no longer makes them for you. You’ve chosen to do it for yourself I see.”

Quickly it was ascertained that he understood exactly why she had come to this particular bathroom and he knew she was working with lethal ingredients.

“My Lord! The smells! Will they not cause you a trip to the hospital wing in the very least?”

He laughed casually and spoke quite airily, not the least threatened by the immediate danger of exposure to deadly chemicals. “I have dropped hints to the Dark Order all term. You are an intelligent witch, haven’t you deduced what my words meant?”

“No. Unless you are saying you cannot be damaged or killed through ordinary means,” and Eileen boldly confessed, “And that is extraordinary! However, I have no idea how one could possibly do a spell that prevents death!”

Riddle paused momentarily, his dark eyes drifting around the room. And then hurried to offer help, taking mortar and pestle without answering. Keeping so busy, grinding the ingredients, Eileen could see that he had no business divulging whatever his secret was.

“During the holiday, there is another initiation. Alphard Black shall be entering the Dark Order. You will attend.”

“Yes, My Lord.”

And with that Voldemort glanced once at her and departed.

Eileen left in solitude reflected on what had happened to her in the last two years. Two years ago Riddle had introduced her to his whole world, and his gang. Eileen had at first been swept up in it, adoring Tom Riddle for his charm, his looks and especially for his unrivaled magical powers. Now Eileen felt nothing but cold regret.

My feedback link:

NOTE: Please review!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts