Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

Half Blood Prince [Marauder Era]

Old March 20th, 2011, 4:46 pm
First Year

Half Blood Prince [Marauder Era]

Lily, Sirius, James, Remus and Peter were on the Hogwarts train. They were on their way back to their magical school after the long summer term break. Too long, in fact. They didn't like to admit it, but even Sirius and James were pining away to go back to Hogwarts.

Lily waited a few moments, then dramatically pulled a square object out of her schoolbag. They realised it was a book marked "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince".

"Eugh, chilling name," James said, looking excited. "Where did you get it?"
"Oh, please," Lily said, rolling her eyes. "I had to get it somewhere. This is my son we're talking about." James glared at her. "OUR son," she corrected herself. "There are hundreds of bookshops in the Muggle world selling Harry Potter novels."

With no futher delay, they settled down, and Sirius opened the book.

Chapter 1

The Other Minister

It was nearing midnight and the Prime Minister was sitting alone in his office, reading a long memo that was slipping through his brain without leaving the slightest trace of meaning behind.

Sirius had barely started reading when James started to fidget, Remus leaned forwards, Lily and Peter closed their eyes and stopped listening, and Sirius just frowned at the book.

"We'll skip the first chapter, shall we?" He asked, annoyed that a boring chapter about a Muggle prime minister was in a Harry Potter book. "Who wants to read about a Prime Minister?"

Lily and Remus reluctantly agreed, and Sirius skipped a few pages, just as Peter piped up, "But the first chapter might be important to the story!"

"I doubt it," said James, barely acknowledging Peter, and signaled for Sirius to start reading again.

Chapter 2

Spinners End

Many miles away, the chilly mist that had pressed against the Prime Minister's windows drifted over a dirty river that wound between overgrown, rubbish-strewn banks.

"Must be the Muggle world then," said James.
"Not necessarily," Lily said, irritably. "Wizards chuck rubbish about too." James just shook his head and Sirius continued.

An immense chimney, relic of a disused mill, reared up, shadowy and ominious. There was no sound apart from the whisper of the black water, and no sign of life apart from a scrawny fox that had slunk down the bank to nose hopefully at some old fish and chip wrappings in the tall grass.

But then, with a very faint POP, a slim hooded figure appeared out of thin air on the edge of the river. The fox froze, wary eyes fixed upon this strange new phenomenon. The figure seemed to take its bearings for a few moments, then set off with light, quick strides, its long cloak rustling over the grass.

"A wizard," whispered Peter, waiting with baited breath. "Be quiet, Peter!" James said, angry at him for causing his death, so he could never see his son grow up. Even so, everyone felt excited.

With a second and louder POP, another hooded figure materialised.

"All right!" Sirius grinned, amused. "Now we're gettin' some action!"

"Wait!"

The harsh cry startled the fox, now crouching almost flat in the undergrowth. It leapt from its hiding place and up the bank. There was a flash of green light, a yelp, and the fox fell back to the ground, dead.

Sirius stopped reading immediately. Everyone's faces were in perfectly still masks of shock. No one could believe it. "There's no way a good witch or wizard would have done that," said James, shaking his head in disbelief. Tears were shining in Lily's eyes.

The second figure turned over the animal with it's toe.

"Just a fox," said a woman's voice dismissevely from under the hood. "I thought perhaps an Auror - Cissy, wait!"

Sirius mouth dropped open, and James's did likewise. "Her? Narcissa?" he whispered quietly. He looked terrified. Lily laughed nervously. "I don't think so. Narcissa is.... well... a bit.... prejudice, that's the word. She would never go to the Muggle world unless it was something really important."
"Well, then, it's something really important," said Sirius. "It has to be Narcissa, everything points to that."

But her quarry, who had paused and looked back at the flash of light, was already scrambling up the bank the fox had just fallen down.

"Cissy - Narcissa - listen to me -"

"It IS Narcissa!" James gasped.

The second woman caught the first and seized her arm, but the other wrenched it away.

"Go back, Bella!"

"Oh... my... goodness..." said Remus. James looked up, and Lily could have sworn he was quivering slightly. Sirius had a look of complete dawning horror in his face. "My cousin," he spat angrily. "Bellatrix Black."

"You must listen to me!"

"I've listened already. I've made my decision. Leave me alone!"

The woman called Narcissa gained the top of the bank, where a line of old railings seperated the river from a narrow cobbled street. The other woman, Bella, followed at once. Side by side, they stood looking across the road at the rows and rows of dilapidated brick houses, their windows dull and blind in the darkness.

"He lives here?" asked Bella in a voice of contempt. "Here? In this Muggle dunghill? We must be the first of our kind ever to set foot-"

But Narcissa was not listening; she had slipped through a gap in the rusty railings and was already hurrying across the road.

"Cissy, wait!"

Bella followed, her cloak streaming behind, and saw Narcissa darting through an alley between the houses into a second, almost identical street. Some of the streetlamps were broken; the two women were running between patches of light and deep darkness. The pursuer caught up with her prey just as she turned another corner, this time succeeding in catching hold of her arm and swinging her round so that they faced each other.

"Cissy, you must not do this, you can't trust him-"

"The Dark Lord trusts him, doesn't he?"

"Whoa," Peter said, looking slightly nervous. "They're Death Eaters?"
"Shut up," said Sirius. The others had not properly spoken to Peter since the news of his betrayal. He turned to the others, looking slightly horrified. "I always knew Bellatrix was awful, but I would never have imagined that he would join VOLDEMORT."
"And Narcissa," said Lily, looking as if she was trying hard not to wince at the name Voldemort. "She's in Slytherin, but she always seemed really nice, though she does hang around with Lucius an awful lot... but joining You-Know-Who? That's really low!"

"The Dark Lord is... I believe... mistaken," Bella panted, and her eyes gleamed momentarily under her hood as she looked around to check that they were indeed alone. "In any case, we were told not to speak of the plan to anyone. This is a betrayal of the Dark Lord's-"

"Let go, Bella!" snarled Narcissa and she drew a wand from beneath her cloak, holding it threateningly in the other's face. Bella merely laughed.

"Cissy, your own sister? You wouldn't!"

"Wouldn't bet on it," Sirius muttered.

"There is nothing I wouldn't do anymore!" Narcissa breathed, a note of hysteria in her voice, and as she brought down the wand like a knife, there was another flash of light. Bella let go of her sister's arm as though burned.

"Narcissa!"

NEXT CHAPTER COMING SOON

Lily loves James
Harry loves Ginny
Fred loves Angelina
Hermione loves Ron

and now,
Draco loves Pheobe.
Check out my story, coming soon! <3
Sponsored Links
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts