Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Dungeons and Dragons

Old August 16th, 2010, 7:34 pm
First Year

Dungeons and Dragons

I had no idea where to put this but, I was wondering if there was anybody out there who plays D&D?

What is your favorite type of character to play?

If you're currently playing a character, what race and class is it?

What's one of your favorite abilites?

What is your favorite version of D&D so far?

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2010, 5:50 pm
Banned

Re: Dungeons and Dragons

I actually played this for about 14 years, but it's unlikely we played the same game - I played 1st edition with books that I'd borrowed from my uncle. When I left for college, my brother moved into my room and decided to store them in the unhealthy basement, where most of them molded and disintegrated. I later found out the total worth of those books and boxed sets (some quite rare) was in the thousands of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneekyMarauder View Post
What is your favorite type of character to play?
I consistently played Gamemaster, and I doubt I could picture myself as any other role. I vastly prefer creating the world to playing in it. Besides, I have games like Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy to entertain me should I want to be the player instead.

Quote:
If you're currently playing a character, what race and class is it?
As Gamemaster, I generally had a few favorite NPC archetypes. Among allied NPCs, I liked Paladins and Clerics; among villainous NPCs, I preferred dual-classes to try to give the party more challenge. My two favorites in that field were the Fighter/Mage and the Thief/Illusionist. I liked to mix my races up a bit, though it was fun unnerving the players by having, for instance, a High Elf chieftain be the secretly corrupt villain and a rebelling Drow be heroic.

Quote:
What's one of your favorite abilites?
I enjoyed using Mirror Image when playing villains during a battle. Such a low-level spell (in first edition at least), yet with so much use against a whole party, particularly in conjunction with Teleport or Fly. I even had my level 40+ villains use it. Instead of rolling for random selection, I used to make it into a "pick the right target" sort of game. If the players ended up facing the wrong way when hitting the wrong one, that could turn out particularly deadly if they were facing a Thief or Assassin as their other class, who could then land an easy backstab. It didn't work as well in larger groups though, who could just confront each image one-on-one.

Quote:
What is your favorite version of D&D so far?
I've GMed 1st, played 2nd, and read the rules to 4th. First is by far my favorite, mostly for its less stringent rules and more role-playing options that reward improvisation and creativity (particularly by the players). I really don't like the sound of 4th edition... it sounds like someone tried to make it into a tabletop version of that comparatively lame World of Warcraft. It doesn't help that I could create a fully fleshed-out villain in first edition in 15-30 minutes, yet when I used the character creator for 4th edition it took me 4 hours to create a similar villain.

Last edited by APolaris; October 8th, 2010 at 6:00 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games