Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Hard Core and Casual gamers...

Old July 1st, 2010, 11:51 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Hard Core and Casual gamers...

I've never really got the point of the whole 'hard core gamer and casual gamer'... aside from the gaming companies continuously pushing these terms and such.

They both seem rather silly to me.

Someone in a gaming magazine I read recently, felt the same way about it. Figured that the terms were rather pointless, and that gamers were just that -- gamers, no matter how much they game.

All these terms do in the long run is cause a chasm to form... and that's just sad, really .

----------------------------------------------------------------

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Where do you think you stand in terms of gaming?

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2010, 9:58 am
First Year

Re: Hard Core and Casual gamers...

Well it is a way of selling you product. The customer smut feel good. If he goes down to a shop and buy a product he is ashamed of he might not do it at all or again.
So the hardcore game needs to feel cool and l33t. Buying special product for the out most performance to impress his fellow gamers with.

While the casual gamer does not want to build his identity around gaming even though he likes it. His product should give the impression that he got control over his life. All right he plays a little bit but is in no way nerdy and will not spend all his salary on a product unless it makes you look like a normal person with a life.

So it is a question about identity and marketing. Atleast this is how I view the whole concept. To ad to this note I view myself as an hardcore gamer.

Old July 4th, 2010, 1:05 pm
Sixth Year

Well, looking at the dictionary, hardcore is defined as: "(adj) having a belief or a way of behaving that will not change." For casual we have: "(adj) not showing much care or thought." It follows that for the hardcore gamer, gaming is something of a lifestyle, rather like surfing or the like, and they believe gaming to be worth the time and attention they give it. For the casual gamer, gaming is a distraction, a means of relaxation much like catching a movie, but they will not invest serious time and money in it. So, put simply, the hardcore gamer is serious about gaming and regards it as important, while the casual gamer finds it fun, but unimportant.

By my reasoning, I am a casual gamer - an enthusiastic one - but nevertheless a casual gamer.

Old July 5th, 2010, 4:58 pm
Banned

From what I've seen, "hardcore" gamers are usually people so obsessed with putting on a facade of "hardcore gamer"ness that they often forget what the genre of game they're supposed to be playing is or how to really play it. This seems to be particularly evident among "hardcore" players of RPGs, and to a lesser extent with shooters or strategy games. Most of the time, they seem to obsess over being high on some meaningless rankings or getting certain items, etc... while ignoring the point of playing the game in the first place. They treat all genres as if they're variants on action/adventure with a change in flavor. In short, for all their trouble, I'd say they're actually worse at playing the other genres than some casual gamers.

Take RPGs, for instance. RPG stands for "role-playing game." That means it's supposed to be played as one in which you build a character and play it as if you were the character. The whole point of playing them is development of character personality. In online or tabletop RPGs, it's to build the character as a unique entity, as a part of the world you're playing in, to mesh with certain others. In console RPGs, it's to witness the characters' development and revelations of the story, while guiding them through the combat and sometimes puzzle situations (which are generally the less important parts). RPGs are meant to be about experiencing a world and a story, not about "being the strongest" or "optimizing your damage/level," yet many "hardcore" gamers treat them that way. People seem to forget that there's a good reason they're not called "gaining levels games," "optimizing damage games," or "killing bosses games." Half the time, particularly in online versions, these people don't even try to roleplay their characters or build a personality for them. It's sad, and it's the reason I'll never play games like WoW.

Nor is it limited to individuals; I've witnessed some noobish tabletop groups that think they're "pro" put together "parties" that make no sense. For instance, a "Deva" (which is basically a type of angel) and a "Revenant" (a demonlike undead being) traveling together? Do these people even consider how little sense that makes in the world or the storyline before they decide to focus on optimizing damage or synergizing classes? I think it makes even less sense than the time I ran a group that wanted me to believe a Paladin (supreme bastion of light who cannot tolerate amorality among his peers), an Assassin (person who kills for money using various manmade tools), and a Druid (nature priest that avoids all use of unnatural technology) would be traveling together and pursuing common goals.

Old July 5th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I identify myself as a "hardcore" gamer because gaming is something I've done since I was 8. I agree with LewsTherin, about gaming being a lifestyle because video games are a large part of who i am (and now, they help pay my bills )

I write articles about games, keep up with gaming news, and play video games all the time.

I don't think the term "casual" applies to me at all. A causal gamer, imo, is someone like my husband who can take or leave video games and not be fussed about it. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not me.

Yes, everyone who plays video games are "gamers" but there is a difference between someone who is extremely interested in games vs someone who will go months without thinking about them.

Just like there's a difference between someone who will read 1 or 2 books a year vs. people who are constantly reading.
I don't think there's anything wrong with making that distinction, as long as it's not used to put someone down.

Now I know the terms hardcore and casual (especially) are used in a derogatory manner. Especially when describing games. A hardcore game is better the a casual one, for example. I don't believe that, but I've seen people dismiss some great games simply because they were thought to be too casual. that's nonsense, imo.

To be honest, I don't like playing online with other people often (expect my brother and a few friends), so I have nobody to impress in term of my "hardcoreness"

Old July 9th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilysia View Post
Well it is a way of selling you product. The customer smut feel good. If he goes down to a shop and buy a product he is ashamed of he might not do it at all or again.
So the hardcore game needs to feel cool and l33t. Buying special product for the out most performance to impress his fellow gamers with.

While the casual gamer does not want to build his identity around gaming even though he likes it. His product should give the impression that he got control over his life. All right he plays a little bit but is in no way nerdy and will not spend all his salary on a product unless it makes you look like a normal person with a life.

So it is a question about identity and marketing. Atleast this is how I view the whole concept. To ad to this note I view myself as an hardcore gamer.
Agreed on the whole selling products thing. That's pretty much how I've always viewed this kind of spiel... heck, I remember being part of another forum... and finally getting this one rank (Sage) there, after working my tail off on game reviews and such. It was well worth it... but people's attitudes weren't. They figured that fans who recieved the rank towards the end there weren't 'hardcore' enough gamer wise to even have the rank. This in and of itself, ticked me off . Since when do you have to be a 'hard core' gamer to earn a rank? That kind of thing shouldn't matter in the long run. The passion that you show as a gamer 'hard core' or otherwise should be what matters.

That's how I view it anyways .

I guess I'd be a causal gamer myself... I do play my games for a few hours a day, but I don't spend a ton on games and stuff... just on the ones that I like and such.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games