Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.17

Old September 17th, 2010, 5:37 am
Seventh Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
Here in the UK it is legally allowed for cousins to be married. Although, I would think it is very unusual.
I never knew that.

Still inbreeding does seem to be reasonably common in the wizarding world as all pureblood's and halfbloods seem to be related to each other in some respect (for instance the Weasley's are related to both the Malfoy's and the Black's).

I have always guessed most Squibs are the result of too much inbreeding amoungst wizarding families (so the bigger the genetic pool the less chance of a Squib being born into the family).

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2010, 1:12 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
I have always guessed most Squibs are the result of too much inbreeding amoungst wizarding families (so the bigger the genetic pool the less chance of a Squib being born into the family).
I always thought the same thing.

Old September 18th, 2010, 3:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Sirius and Andromeda are first cousins. That makes Tonks a cousin once removed. They are not very close relation-wise. Likewise, Molly was a cousin of Sirius through marriage and I think Arthur was a distant cousin. so, even if Tonks and Sirius did fall in love, they could marry, plus, he was way older than her, like in his mid thirties to her 20's.

Old September 18th, 2010, 9:24 am
First Year

Here in India, marriage between cousins is allowed as long as the two do not have the same surname,, i am guessing it is the same case in the wizarding world

Old September 18th, 2010, 12:39 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy89 View Post
Here in India, marriage between cousins is allowed as long as the two do not have the same surname,, i am guessing it is the same case in the wizarding world
Walburga Black was married to her cousin Orion Black, they both have the same surname.

According to HP lexicon:

Walburga BlackMarried her second cousin Orion Black, so both she and her husband were descendants of Phineas Nigellus Black (also confirmed by BFT). This explains why she refers to the House of Black as the "house of my fathers" (OP4).

www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/blackfamily.html

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 18th, 2010, 9:28 pm
Fourth Year

I was wondering how Sirius managed to track Wormtail down after James and Lily died. I'm guessing that Wormtail was on the run because he'd know that some Order members would go after him, but he could have been anywhere yet Sirius managed to find him the next day And we're told in DH that there's no way to track someone who's disapparated straight away. I'd understand if the Ministry had found him as they could detect magic but I'm sure Sirius didn't have access to that sort of thing.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old September 19th, 2010, 1:23 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I was wondering how Sirius managed to track Wormtail down after James and Lily died. I'm guessing that Wormtail was on the run because he'd know that some Order members would go after him, but he could have been anywhere yet Sirius managed to find him the next day And we're told in DH that there's no way to track someone who's disapparated straight away. I'd understand if the Ministry had found him as they could detect magic but I'm sure Sirius didn't have access to that sort of thing.
My guess would be that Sirius most likely would have taken a lot longer to find Wormtail unless he wanted to be found, and it would make sense if he did. Peter had a plan for being tracked down, in which he framed his pursuer for everything. Thinking about it logically, it would actually benefit Peter to be found quickly: the quicker he was found, the less likely Sirius would be to have told anyone that he was not the secret keeper. If it had spun out, there was a good chance that the immediate rush of vengeance that Sirius felt would ebb and allow rationality to take over.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 19th, 2010, 7:42 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy89 View Post
One thing i have thought about previous is with all the inbreeding in the wizarding world it seems that any pureblood with long enough linage would be related to each other. It wouldn't surprise me if Ron and Harry were related to all the 4 founding members of Hogwarts and both of them related to the Peverell brothers as well.

On another more childish note something i remember thinking the first time i read PS/SS i saw the description of Ron

Quote:
She pointed at the last and youngest of her sons. He was tall, thin, and gangling, with freckles, big hands and feet, and a long nose.
That is like every cliche in the book for determining the size of a man's, well you know . Is JKR trying to tell us something without coming out and actually saying it

Old September 19th, 2010, 7:54 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
None of the Order members knew who the traitor was, did they? IIRC, they all knew Sirius was the secret keeper, and thus none of them probably tried to go after Peter in the first place.

Old September 20th, 2010, 6:09 am
First Year

This really isn't important, but it has always puzzled me- does the Hogwarts Express make any other stops besides King's Cross?

I would think there are plenty of students that live between London and Hogwarts, and it seems silly for them to travel south, just to take a north-bound train. If it does only make the one stop, how do the students who don't live near London get there? Do they travel by floo powder to Diagon Alley and then walk over? Is there a floo on Platform 9 3/4? Do they use portkeys? I don't know if this is ever addressed, and don't think it's that important, but I'm curious.

Old September 20th, 2010, 6:19 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyClean View Post
This really isn't important, but it has always puzzled me- does the Hogwarts Express make any other stops besides King's Cross?

I would think there are plenty of students that live between London and Hogwarts, and it seems silly for them to travel south, just to take a north-bound train. If it does only make the one stop, how do the students who don't live near London get there? Do they travel by floo powder to Diagon Alley and then walk over? Is there a floo on Platform 9 3/4? Do they use portkeys? I don't know if this is ever addressed, and don't think it's that important, but I'm curious.
I don't know if the train makes other stops, but I don't think travelling is as difficult to Wizards as it sounds. Theycan use variety of means niether of which take time or effort. They can apparate directly into Platform 9 3/4. Ron suggests that his parents could've apparated from the station directly to the Burrow, so it's possible that other wizarding families who live too far from London, would apparate and take their children by side-long apparition.

Old September 20th, 2010, 7:05 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I don't know if the train makes other stops, but I don't think travelling is as difficult to Wizards as it sounds. Theycan use variety of means niether of which take time or effort. They can apparate directly into Platform 9 3/4. Ron suggests that his parents could've apparated from the station directly to the Burrow, so it's possible that other wizarding families who live too far from London, would apparate and take their children by side-long apparition.
I am not sure if side-along apparition was very common, especially before Voldemort's return to prominence and the brochures, but the floo network and portkeys, which of course would require registration, are options. I wonder if there have ever been students who lived in Hogsmeade, and if they missed out on the whole Hogwarts Express experience.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:42 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

The question about the Hogwarts express and if all students travel on it towards Hogwarts can also be discussed at: Do all students travel on the Hogwarts Express?

Since we are almost at 1500 post I'm going to create version 18.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References