Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.17

Old September 29th, 2009, 1:59 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: Little Questions Answered v.17

If I recall right, in the book Quirell is not yet obsessed by Voldemort when Harry and Quirell meet first time in Diagon Alley. After Quirell fails to kill Harry, Voldemort wants to stay closer to him.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2009, 1:59 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

It is Quirrell's possession by Voldemort that causes him to be burned. In the book Quirrell does not have Voldemort in the back of his head when he meets Harry in the Leaky Cauldron, and he is not wearing the turban. Later that day Quirrell attempts to steal the Stone and fails which is when Voldemort decides to attach himself to Quirrell. It is only after that he is seen wearing the turban. Quirrell explains it in Chapter 17.

PS/SS, The Man With Two FacesWhen I failed to steal the Stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me...decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me...'

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; September 29th, 2009 at 9:42 pm.
Old September 29th, 2009, 4:35 pm
Sixth Year

To add to what TreacleTartlet said:

At the end of his sorting, Harry is reflecting on how weird Quirrell looks in/wearing a turban at the feast.

Old September 29th, 2009, 9:55 pm
Third Year

In the fourth harry potter book, Victor Krum tries to transform himself into a shark, but fails to transform more than his head.

But, in the Tales of Beedle the Bard, Dumbledore says that the main difference between an animagus and simply turning yourself into an animal, is that an animagus will retain all their human thinking & reasoning powers. While the latter would turn you entirely into the animal, with the consequence that you would know no magic, be unaware that you had ever been a wizard, and would need someone else to transform you back to your origional form.

So, how did Krum transform his head into a shark? Wouldn't he have lost his human thought, and started thinking he was a shark? Or, was his shark head the failed attempt at an animagus transformation?

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:21 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7 View Post
In the fourth harry potter book, Victor Krum tries to transform himself into a shark, but fails to transform more than his head.

But, in the Tales of Beedle the Bard, Dumbledore says that the main difference between an animagus and simply turning yourself into an animal, is that an animagus will retain all their human thinking & reasoning powers. While the latter would turn you entirely into the animal, with the consequence that you would know no magic, be unaware that you had ever been a wizard, and would need someone else to transform you back to your origional form.

So, how did Krum transform his head into a shark? Wouldn't he have lost his human thought, and started thinking he was a shark? Or, was his shark head the failed attempt at an animagus transformation?
This may have been the result of dark magic, or some kind of advanced/forbidden spell that they teach at Durmstrang. Also, the fact that only his head was transfigured may be why he didn't completely lose his human instinct. However, it is clear that Krum did almost "become" the shark by his rough actions when trying to cut Hermione loose, nearly cutting her in half in the process.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old September 30th, 2009, 2:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
It is Quirrell's possession by Voldemort that causes him to be burned. In the book Quirrell does not have Voldemort in the back of his head when he meets Harry in the Leaky Cauldron, and he is not wearing the turban. Later that day Quirrell attempts to steal the Stone and fails which is when Voldemort decides to attach himself to Quirrell. It is only after that he is seen wearing the turban. Quirrell explains it in Chapter 17.

PS/SS, The Man With Two FacesWhen I failed to steal the Stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me...decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me...'
Thanks! Guess I need to read a little closer!

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old September 30th, 2009, 2:31 am
Third Year

Sorry to shoot down your theories, but I've found some problems with them.

Quote:
Also, the fact that only his head was transfigured may be why he didn't completely lose his human instinct.
But, since his head was transformed, then he would have a sharks brain. Meaning that he would have no human instinct.

Quote:
This may have been the result of dark magic, or some kind of advanced/forbidden spell that they teach at Durmstrang.
In front of the ministry of magic officials??? I doubt it.

Maybe this one should be added to the "plot holes & inconsistencies" list?

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Old September 30th, 2009, 2:43 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
But, since his head was transformed, then he would have a sharks brain. Meaning that he would have no human instinct.
Mmm, good point. Unless Krum managed to keep his human brain within the shark's head, but I'm pretty sure that's not even possible.

Quote:
In front of the ministry of magic officials??? I doubt it.
Could the officials really see what was going on down in the lake? Unless the merman told Dumbledore about it, I don't see how they could have known. They don't seem to have known, for instance, that Krum (while imperioused) used an unforgivable curse on Cedric, while in the maze.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old September 30th, 2009, 4:01 am
Third Year

Quote:
Could the officials really see what was going on down in the lake? Unless the merman told Dumbledore about it, I don't see how they could have known. They don't seem to have known, for instance, that Krum (while imperioused) used an unforgivable curse on Cedric, while in the maze.
Hmm. good point. But, I seem to recall Krum having his shark head above the water at some point. Although, I may be getting the books confused with the movies.

Old October 1st, 2009, 8:13 pm
First Year

Hey guys!
I was just wondering, what's the function of Dumbledore's magic watch? It has 12 hands and in the OOTP he states to Fudge: "I'll give you... half an hour of my time tonight."

That line just really intrigued me! Plus, why does his watch have 12 hands?

"Always."
Old October 2nd, 2009, 3:13 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hedwig_ View Post
Hey guys!
I was just wondering, what's the function of Dumbledore's magic watch? It has 12 hands and in the OOTP he states to Fudge: "I'll give you... half an hour of my time tonight."

As I understand it, wizard watches are slightly different from muggle watches, although I'm not sure exactly what the 12 hands specify. As for what Dumbledore said to Fudge, all it meant was that he would talk to him for half an hour about what had happened, and no more. How he got the time from his watch, I have no idea.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old October 2nd, 2009, 6:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I know Mugglenet is separate from the forum, but could I still wish Mugglenet a Happy Birthday? After all, would COS be around if there was no Mugglenet?

Old October 3rd, 2009, 5:02 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
I think Krum would have his human thought, since he did go after his task. He was a human who deliberately changed a part of himself for a specific reason. So while one part of him would behave like a shark, there was the rest of him which was human, which would counter that and would control his animal part IMO.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hedwig_
Hey guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
As I understand it, wizard watches are slightly different from muggle watches, although I'm not sure exactly what the 12 hands specify. As for what Dumbledore said to Fudge, all it meant was that he would talk to him for half an hour about what had happened, and no more. How he got the time from his watch, I have no idea.
I believe it's supposed to be something like an "Astrolabe" from the Middle Ages. The 12 Hands stand for the 12 signs of the Zodiac and the 12 parts of the sky through which the planets and moon move every night. But JKR added the "twelve hands" because an astrolabe had only one or two.

Astrolabe

Quote:
The astrolabe is a very ancient astronomical computer for solving problems relating to time and the position of the Sun and stars in the sky. Several types of astrolabes have been made. By far the most popular type is the planispheric astrolabe, on which the celestial sphere is projected onto the plane of the equator. . . .

Astrolabes are used to show how the sky looks at a specific place at a given time. This is done by drawing the sky on the face of the astrolabe and marking it so positions in the sky are easy to find. To use an astrolabe, you adjust the moveable components to a specific date and time. Once set, the entire sky, both visible and invisible, is represented on the face of the instrument. This allows a great many astronomical problems to be solved in a very visual way. Typical uses of the astrolabe include finding the time during the day or night, finding the time of a celestial event such as sunrise or sunset and as a handy reference of celestial positions. Astrolabes were also one of the basic astronomy education tools in the late Middle Ages.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; October 3rd, 2009 at 7:58 am.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 8:38 am
Fourth Year

Hey! We are in the Discoveries Age in my History lesson in school, and right now we learn about the Astrolabe!

Old October 3rd, 2009, 3:32 pm
Third Year

The Krum/Shark thing can be discussed here.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:06 pm
Fifth Year

Do wizards never give themself a haircut?

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:27 pm
Third Year

Yes. Mrs.Weasley gave Bill a haircut once. I forget which book it was, though.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Do wizards never give themself a haircut?
In Book One, Petunia gives Harry a haircut and overnight he makes his hair grow back by magic.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:41 pm
Second Year

And remember Mrs Weasleys known to have given a few haircuts in her time

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References