Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v14

Old January 13th, 2008, 5:51 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Little Questions Answered v14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alorra Spinnet View Post
I don't believe it is a case of you can't be killed. Rather that you won't die of old age, you body wouldn't break down as you got older or perhaps it kept you from aging further at all.
That's how I understand it as well. It doesn't make you invincible to death, just extends your normal life span as long as you keep drinking it.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2008, 7:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
That's how I understand it as well. It doesn't make you invincible to death, just extends your normal life span as long as you keep drinking it.
That doesn't seem right. When Harry asked why Voldemort didn't take the Philosophers Stone instead of making Horocrux's, Dumbleore just said that the stone makes the user reliant upon itself. But if it only extended life, it wouldn't be any use at all to him. He would have realised someone would try to assassinate him long before his natural life ran out, as would Dumbldore.

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Australian, and Damn proud.
Old January 13th, 2008, 7:36 pm
WendyPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
That doesn't seem right. When Harry asked why Voldemort didn't take the Philosophers Stone instead of making Horocrux's, Dumbleore just said that the stone makes the user reliant upon itself. But if it only extended life, it wouldn't be any use at all to him. He would have realised someone would try to assassinate him long before his natural life ran out, as would Dumbldore.
That is a very good point...he would still be mortal because he could still be killed. And he didn't want to be mortal. He didn't want to depend on anything. Anyways, I have a question. What happened to Dawlish?

Old January 13th, 2008, 7:47 pm
Deslumbrante

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyPotter View Post
That is a very good point...he would still be mortal because he could still be killed. And he didn't want to be mortal. He didn't want to depend on anything.
That's why the Elixir wasn't Voldemort's first choice. He resorted to trying to steal the Sorcerer's Stone because it would be an easy way to get a body back. After he had gotten a body again, I doubt he would have continued to depend on the Elixir and would have gone back to his original plan of Horcruxes.
Quote:
What happened to Dawlish?
We don't have much information on Dawlish. The only real time he has been discussed was on PotterCast here.
PotterCast Interview with J.K. Rowling, 17 December 2007JKR: You know what, I find it so incredibly endearing that you like Dawlish, and that's why his name is now John Dawlish, as we know. In tribute to you. And that will indeed be a note in the Encyclopedia, or "The Scottish Book", as we are now calling it. Dawlish had to be good. He had to be good because he became an Auror. There's no denying that. But he has his weaknesses and Dumbledore knew how to exploit them. Let's face it. Anyone, anyone going up to Dumbledore pre-trying on the Horcrux, pre-maiming his hand, anyone is gonna be in trouble going up against Dumbledore. Even Voldemort didn't want to do it. So there's no dishonor to Dawlish.

JN: Well, certainly though, was Dumbledore involved in--

JKR: In weakening him?

JN: You said it was Mrs. Longbottom?

JKR: By the time Augusta Longbottom got to him, he had been-- several people had attacked Dawlish. I mean, I think he was a bit punch-drunk by that point, you know. He had become a favorite punch-bag of the Order of the Phoenix by then. So I don't think he was firing on all cylinders. But I really saw Mrs. Longbottom as a powerful witch. So, um, sorry.

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old January 14th, 2008, 2:26 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Turpin View Post
That's why the Elixir wasn't Voldemort's first choice. He resorted to trying to steal the Sorcerer's Stone because it would be an easy way to get a body back. After he had gotten a body again, I doubt he would have continued to depend on the Elixir and would have gone back to his original plan of Horcruxes.
Actually, the reason he didn't want the elixer was that it had to be continually drunk. The way I saw it, it was more a vaccine against death. Taken regularly, it can stop it in all forms (even cells dying, hence no aging). but if you stop, you're just as susceptible as everyone else. That was why he didn't want it, because all someone had to do was destroy the stone and he's finished.

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Old January 14th, 2008, 2:44 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Actually, the reason he didn't want the elixer was that it had to be continually drunk. The way I saw it, it was more a vaccine against death. Taken regularly, it can stop it in all forms (even cells dying, hence no aging). but if you stop, you're just as susceptible as everyone else. That was why he didn't want it, because all someone had to do was destroy the stone and he's finished.
That's the point though. The Elixir of Life didn't actually make a person immortal. It extended their life and apparently had regenerative properties. Voldemort didn't want to use the Elixir as a means to cheat death for all those reasons. He would have to drink it regularly - which means he would be dependent upon the potion. If the stone was stolen and/or destroyed he would have to find another way. And it's not really clear if the Elixir of Life would prevent unnatural death - such as the Avada Kedavra curse. It sounds more like it only prevented natural death from aging.

The Horcruxes presented a much less complicated solution for him in the sense that he didn't have to do anything to maintain that. Once he made them, they just had to exist to work. What he wanted the stone for in PS/SS was simply to regenerate his body - which is why it appears the Elixir of Life had regenerative properties. Once his body had been regenerated, he wouldn't need to depend on the Elixir because he already had Horcruxes.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old January 14th, 2008, 12:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
That's the point though. The Elixir of Life didn't actually make a person immortal. It extended their life and apparently had regenerative properties. Voldemort didn't want to use the Elixir as a means to cheat death for all those reasons. He would have to drink it regularly - which means he would be dependent upon the potion. If the stone was stolen and/or destroyed he would have to find another way. And it's not really clear if the Elixir of Life would prevent unnatural death - such as the Avada Kedavra curse. It sounds more like it only prevented natural death from aging.
I doubt that. The Aveda Kedavra curse does not kill instantaneously. Remember, both Sirius and Bellatrix laughed just after they'd been hit. It more simply stops the heart. No damage or anything, but the heart stops. However, with the elixer, you wouldn't really have any need for a heart, as both the brain and all muscles wouldn't need the fresh oxygen to survive.

Old January 14th, 2008, 12:48 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
I doubt that. The Aveda Kedavra curse does not kill instantaneously. Remember, both Sirius and Bellatrix laughed just after they'd been hit. It more simply stops the heart. No damage or anything, but the heart stops. However, with the elixer, you wouldn't really have any need for a heart, as both the brain and all muscles wouldn't need the fresh oxygen to survive.
The AK does kill instantly. They were laughing as they were killed and the smile stayed on their faces as they fell. The AK kills the moment the curse hits the body.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:53 pm
Seventh Year

Also it doesn't kill by stopping the heart because otherwise the muggle police investigating mysterious deaths would put that as the cause of death.

Old January 14th, 2008, 1:14 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Actually, Bellatrix laughed just before she was hit. I'll have to dig up my copy of OOTP to check Sirius. However, as far as I know, the curse used on Sirius has not been revealed. He died because he fell through the veil. Nor was the curse Molly used on Bellatrix stated on page and I don't recall that being mentioned by Jo in any of the post-DH interviews. She may have and I missed it, but as far as I know, neither of those deaths have been officially attributed to Avada Kedavra.

The other examples of Avada Kedavra demonstrate pretty much instant death. Frank Bryce toppled over and was dead before he hit the floor. Cedric's death was pretty much the same. Dumbledore's death was debated a lot because of Harry feeling like it was all happening in slow motion, but his death was pretty much instantaneous too - it's very common for someone witnessing a traumatic event like that to feel time has stopped or slowed down.

Something interesting about Bellatrix - it is described on page that her eyes bulged just before she died. That doesn't sound like Avada Kedavra, which leaves no mark or damage to the body. However, Bellatrix was also dead by the time she toppled over so there really wasn't a significant delay there.

As for the Elixir, I think your body would still function the same way. As I said above, my impression was that the Elixir merely extended life in regards to natural death from old age and apparently had some regenerative properties. It does not appear that the Elixir would prevent someone from dying an unnatural death - such as the Avada Kedavra curse, being deprived of oxygen, or suffering injury severe enough to cause death immediately or very quickly. But that is just my impression of it. As far as I know, Jo has not answered this question.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old January 14th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Second Year

Why did Voldemort have Nagini inhabit the body of Bathilda Bagshot? He knew that Harry would return there eventually, but he had no way of knowing that they would trust Bathilda when they saw her. As far as he new, she was just some exceedingly ancient, half-mad old woman to them.

Old January 14th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Why did Voldemort have Nagini inhabit the body of Bathilda Bagshot? He knew that Harry would return there eventually, but he had no way of knowing that they would trust Bathilda when they saw her. As far as he new, she was just some exceedingly ancient, half-mad old woman to them.
It's possible that Voldemort knew of Dumbledore's past, or just the fact that he had lived in Godric's Hollow. If so, he would have known Harry would return to find out whether or not the rumors were true about Dumbledore. Since Bathilda was the only one still there, they would try to find her.

It also could just be that Voldemort stationed Nagini in her body randomly and had her make Harry and Hermione come with her.

Old January 14th, 2008, 7:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post
It's possible that Voldemort knew of Dumbledore's past, or just the fact that he had lived in Godric's Hollow. If so, he would have known Harry would return to find out whether or not the rumors were true about Dumbledore. Since Bathilda was the only one still there, they would try to find her.
As far as he knew, Harry would be out rallying support, building an army to take him on. That would have left no time to go to Gordics Hollow, except just after the ministry fell, while Nagini was still Nagini, and far too large from eating the Muggle stdies Teacher to fit into a tiny old woman.

If we go with the "Voldemort thought Harry was a coward like him" theory, Harry would not have cared enough to go. And even if he did, first sign of another person, he would have apparated out.

If a magical roster detected Tom Riddle and put his name down, why didn't it put down Ariana's?

Last edited by thewbacca; January 14th, 2008 at 7:39 pm.
Old January 14th, 2008, 8:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
If a magical roster detected Tom Riddle and put his name down, why didn't it put down Ariana's?
Do we know for sure that it didn't? We know she didn't go to Hogwarts, and the speculation was that it was because she was a Squib, but I think that was just rumor and innuendo.

Old January 14th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Do we know for sure that it didn't? We know she didn't go to Hogwarts, and the speculation was that it was because she was a Squib, but I think that was just rumor and innuendo.
If she was a Squib, would she have shown up on the roster? I doubt it. That would have been the definitive proof that she wasn't a squib.

Also, how did the ministry not detect Ariana doing magic in front of muggles, when they did the same thing for Morfin?

Old January 14th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
As far as he knew, Harry would be out rallying support, building an army to take him on. That would have left no time to go to Gordics Hollow, except just after the ministry fell, while Nagini was still Nagini, and far too large from eating the Muggle stdies Teacher to fit into a tiny old woman.
No, as far as Voldemort knew, Harry was hiding from the many people looking for him. One obvious place for Harry to hide would be at Godric's Hollow, and Voldemort knew Harry would want to go back to where his parents lived.

Quote:
Also, how did the ministry not detect Ariana doing magic in front of muggles, when they did the same thing for Morfin?
Ariana was supposed to be under the supervision of her parents, and she did not, in all likelihood, perform an AK curse.

Old January 14th, 2008, 10:09 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Even if she was a witch she may have died before the age of 11 so she wouldn't have gone to Hogwarts anyway. Do we know her age when she died?

Old January 14th, 2008, 10:18 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca
She could have been detected. However, when she did not show up at Hogwarts (or her mother denied the acceptance), no further inquiry would be made. Remember, parents have the option of home schooling their children or sending them away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca
The Ministry cannot detect underage magic - just magic:
HBP, A Sluggish Memory, Ch. 17, Pg. 368, American, HB"They can detect magic, but not the perpetrator...."
"So if you're underage and you do magic inside an adult witch or wizard's house, the Ministry won't know?"
"They will certainly be unable to tell who performed the magic. They rely on witch and wizard parents to enforce their offspring's obedience while within their walls."

The reason Morfin was convicted was because he was a known Muggle-hater, he had once before attacked Tom Riddle Sr., and he was the only wizard in the area. Also, Voldemort had implanted a false memory in him to confess to the crime.

Meanwhile, Ariana was only around seven (around the age that a witch/wizard will show signs of magic), and her magic went unnoticed because the Ministry does not protect against underage magic before the child enters school. Also, since she would be around her parents, the Ministry would not know if it was her magic or her parents'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced
Do we know her age when she died?
Ariana died in August of 1899 (Aberforth was almost ready to go back to school). She died when she was fourteen (in the same summer of Kendra's death).

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; January 14th, 2008 at 10:25 pm.
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
If she was a Squib, would she have shown up on the roster? I doubt it. That would have been the definitive proof that she wasn't a squib.

The fact that magic was "exploding out of her" is reason enough to believe she was not a squib.

Who has access to the roster? I'm sure it's not a publicly displayed document, so I could not be used to squelch the rumors. Besides, rumors of her being a squib were probably preferrable to people knowing the reality of what actually happened to her. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dumbledores encouraged people to believe it.

Old January 14th, 2008, 10:53 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Who has access to the roster? I'm sure it's not a publicly displayed document, so I could not be used to squelch the rumors.
I always thought that Prof. McGonagall had it, because of this interview: http://www.mugglenet.com/books/scholchat1.shtml

Of course, Prof. McGonagall did not work at Hogwarts when the Dumbledores were kids, so it was most likely kept by whoever was duputy Headmaster/mistress at the time.

Since Dumbledore was a very bright student and everyone there loved him, I'm sure he could convince whoever had the roster to not tell anyone about Ariana if he had to.

Last edited by DeathlyH; January 14th, 2008 at 10:57 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References