Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Unanswered Questions

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:13 pm
First Year

Re: Unanswered Questions

I think in the 5th book when Albus sent the 'Remember my last' he was referring to the fact that if Vernon sent Harry from the house he would be breaking the spell that protects them and harry while he can still call number 4 privet drive his home thus putting them all in alot of danger.

In response to the veil questions. In the 'Tale of three brothers' the second brother with the ressurection stone brings back the girl he hoped to marry. However it says that she 'was sad and cold, separated from him as by a veil. Though she had retrned to the mortal world, she did not truly belong there and suffered' . I wonder whether that is significant.

Last edited by TheAndy; July 24th, 2007 at 1:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:54 pm
Second Year

With the DoM and the veil, I think it's absence said much more than it's presence. I think it was another allusion to the Christian undertones in this book. What lies within the DoM are all of what humanity is unsure of. Love, Life, Death, Space, Time, etc. They are God's most mysterious creations. Jo was trying to tell us that even with magic, wizards can't unveil these mysteries. had she shed the meaning of life, shown us behind death, or did some corny and simple explanation of the other elements in the DoM, it would have greatly bogged down the book and the text would have been tacky.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:58 pm
First Year

Did uniting in the fight against Voldermort change the wizarding world ultimately by having them work towards achieving some sort of harmony/respect between different magical beings [wizards(pure and muggle born), house elves, giants, werewolves, centaurs, goblins etc]?? This is a very important theme in the series and I wish we could've seen some of the resolutions/steps taken towards it in the epilogue.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRJLupin View Post
1. What happens to Luna in the future? Where is she 19 years later?

2. Does Snape get a portrait? I ask this, because I desperately wanted just one simple scene at the end:

HARRY: Thanks...for everything
SNAPE'S PORTRAIT: You're welcome, Potter.
YEAHHHH sounds GREAT
but I guess Harry would have said something like "I'm sorry" more like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSnake View Post
I don't plan to repeat the questions that anyone else has already stated, but add on. And here's my attempt at answering some questions:

I Which Weasley is the father of Victorie? I 1st thought of Bill and Fleur, seeing as they were married and could have had a child not long after Teddy was born. But seeing as Percy was on the platform, maybe he married someone and had a daughter.
Asked myself the sdame question and I think it is Fleur and bill cause Victoire is a french name.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:08 pm
First Year

Who did Teddy Tonks live with?

Did Hermione's parents ever come back from Australia?!

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:19 pm
First Year

Where was Fawkes

Once Dumbledore died did Fawkes become a Free Phoenix doing whatever she pleased...because I thought for sure he would join Harry or at least guide or gaurd him on his journey...

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:32 pm
Third Year

Re: Unanswered Questions from the HP Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I asked this on LJ too

Who was the person who'd perform magic under desperate circumstances??

I heard an ugly rumer to this end...

The person who does magic late in life under desperate circumstances is...

Dudley, who learned the magic of love at 17.

don't shoot the mesenger!

"Blocked again and again and again till you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter..."

Doesn't that sound a lot like teaching to you?
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:39 pm
Fifth Year

1. What did Harry, Ron, and Hermione do after Hogwarts? (Job wise and whatever else)

2. What was the "REMEMBER MY LAST" from Dumbledore to Petunia about?

3. Also, J.K. stated that Dumbledore had kept in contact with her before. Is this a reference to the fact that she had written him years ago begging to be accepted to Hogwarts or had she written him years later, just prior to Lily's death?

4. What did Dudley see with the Dementors? Honestly, I wouldn't ask but since J.K. told us we'd find out, it must be something interesting...

5. What happened to Fawkes?

6. What was the Veil in the Department of Mysteries?

7. What was in the locked room in the Department of Mysteries?

8. What happened to Voldemort's body?

9. How did Voldemort fly? Is this a Dark Art or is it just incredibly hard to do for most wizards?

10. What did Lily and James do for a living? Might as well ask what Sirius, Lupin, and Peter did too...

11. What exactly happened to Umbridge the night she was taken by the Centaurs?

12. Who got the reprieve from death?

13. Did the Dursleys' attitude toward Harry finally change anytime after the events of DH or did Petunia and Vernon still shun him and his kind?

I could definitely think up more if I wanted to but I'll those for the moment...

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:51 pm
First Year

How did Albus Dumbledore break his nose the second time. (The first was at the funeral)

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
How did Albus Dumbledore break his nose the second time. (The first was at the funeral)
Probably while fighting in the first war or when he dueled Grindelwald...

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Too Much Left Unsaid

Reading DH I felt that there were too many things that were not answered. There were so many questions at the end of the previous six books that I think we all thought would be answered in DH.

But JKR has left them dangling very enticingly I might add, maybe to fill them up with our own imagination or to follow with another book that would explain the mysteries that have been discussed in so many posts in as many threads. I found these points that I wished Jo had explained in DH, ones from the first six and some from Dh itself. And oh! I wish she hadn't killed Snape.

1) What were Lily, James and Sirius's jobs?

2) What was the significance of Harry's eyes? Please don't say they looked like Lily's and Snape was enticed by them. It would be a let down from the mystery that I thought it would be.

3) Why did Harry have to wear glasses? JKR commented on the Italian audiobook cover of HP I think, when they had Harry without glasses "Can't they see that is his weakness?" was what she said. What weakness?

4) Why was Dumbledore so uncaring of Snape whose contribution to the Light was so phenomenal and valuable. Dumbledore could not have done half the things he has if it weren't for Snape. Why was he treated like scum?

5) How was Aberforth able to communicate with Harry like he did and how did he know to send Dobby to him?

6) Why did Dumbledore not say a word to Snape about Harry's scar? How could he let a man who has done so much die thinking Harry would die too? He really is not in a position to judge Snape is he? (I hate Dumbleodre and I agree with Aberforth)

7) Why did Dumbledore not give a portrait to Harry? Everything would have been so simple.

8) How did Lily use magic to save Harry? What magic was that?

9) How did Harry escape the killing curse once again? The Avada Kedavra kills; it does not distinfuish between a soul and a soul or is the spell designed to distinguish between the host soul for a lack of a better word and a foreign soul?

10) What happened in the one day before Harry was brought to the Dursleys?

11) What was Snape's animagus?

12) What was Snape's boggart and his greatest fear?

13) How did Dumbledore speak in the present about things Harry could not have possibly known in Harry's mind? Was it all Harry's imagination or was it something else?

14) Why is there no portrait of Snape in the Headmaster's office?

15) What were the contents of the letters that Petunia received and how many did she receive?

16) The Elder wand belonging to Malfoy was plain confusing.

17) How did Ron speak in Parseltongue?

18) Where was Fawkes?

19) How did Gryffindor's sword come into the Sorting Hat from Grip hook?

I will post a few more questions as and when I think of them that I would love for JKR to tell us either in an interview or even better in an eighth book.

Dumbledore has been a let down; he cannot even look at Snape when he talks to him; reading a copy of the Transfiguration journal while making sardonic comments to Snape; making Snape work using the guilt that Snape should rightfully have, for his own purposes. Yes, it was for the greater good but Dumbledore could have dealt with it in a far better way than he has and by doing the way he did he has forever spoilt his image of a man who though may be manipulative was so far seen as just and fair.

He was neither.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:33 pm
Second Year

Auror Fett, I'm going to do my best to answer as many as I can...

1. What did Harry, Ron, and Hermione do after Hogwarts? (Job wise and whatever else) The epilogue of book seven was to show us SOME solid concrete information so that other people won't continue to right Harry's story now that she has finished it. The rest us fans can make up ourselves. People harp on about how the epilogue was too shirt, and that's true. But she handed the series down to the fandom when she finished book seven so we can make our own conclusions. I love that actually. That or we'll get anolther charity book, epilogue style!

2. What was the "REMEMBER MY LAST" from Dumbledore to Petunia about? I think that was about the letter Dumbledore left Petunia in regards to keeping Harry safe. HE could have written her own letter that Vernon didn't see. Explaining everything else, about Lily's protection, etc. Not too sure about that one.

3. Also, J.K. stated that Dumbledore had kept in contact with her before. Is this a reference to the fact that she had written him years ago begging to be accepted to Hogwarts or had she written him years later, just prior to Lily's death? The letter that Jo hinted at was the one Petunia wrote when she was a child, yes.

4. What did Dudley see with the Dementors? Honestly, I wouldn't ask but since J.K. told us we'd find out, it must be something interesting... Another question Jo didn't answer... and all of these questions are issues she has brought up in interviews. Whilst book five did allude to us finding this out, most of the other ones didn't. Can we guess what it was? I'm sure we've seen it... why didn't Jo tell us about it in DH? Not too sure. SHE knows what it was... she came so close to telling us in DH.

5. What happened to Fawkes? He left when Dumbledore died. It'll make his departure at the end of book six that much more gut renching.

6. What was the Veil in the Department of Mysteries? Those who obviously pass through it are taken onto the next life. As to why we didn't see more of that or the DoM... well I've now come to the conclusion that it is because they are MYSTERIES! They have been for centuries before Harry came along. So why would a boy wizard find out about what resides in it? You see I'm of the belief that the series has a religious undertone. Love, Life, Death, Time, Space, etc (all issues Unspeakables research) are the most mysterious, unknown parts of God's creation. Jo put those in there to show us that even wizards can't discover these awesome beauties and they have magic to assist them. And quite frankly had we had Harry figure out the meaning of live/death, etc. it would have come across as tacky! And unrealistic. These issues will be mysteries forever more. Jo did a beautiful job of showing us that. No doubt Jo knows how the veil works... my guess is that those ghost like images of Harry's closest loved ones at the end of DH were from behind the veil.

7. What was in the locked room in the Department of Mysteries? The power of love. Again read the answer above.

8. What happened to Voldemort's body? Hopefully it will be burnt or dumped in a muggle dumpster, passed off as a hideous Halloween costume. I honestly don't think that's important. Perhaps he was burred with is muggle father and grandparents? Disgusting but really, he would never have wanted that!

9. How did Voldemort fly? Is this a Dark Art or is it just incredibly hard to do for most wizards? I'm guessing it is very hard. He probably uncovered something to help him do that. Again not necessary to the plot. BUT as Harry and numerous others mentioned it, it must be an accomplishment. Something very difficult to do.

10. What did Lily and James do for a living? Might as well ask what Sirius, Lupin, and Peter did too... Again another interview question not answered in the books. The books didn't need to bring that up... but as she did, I would have liked to know. HE could have asked ANYONE that. Again it wasn't important. My guess is they could have been Unspeakables or as James had a very healthy inheritance, they dedicated their time to the order. Hence why they were able to defy Voldemort, thrice.

11. What exactly happened to Umbridge the night she was taken by the Centaurs? I think Jo's leaving that one for us to make up on our own. HA! Oh the possibilities.

12. Who got the reprieve from death? Only she can tell is that. I personally think it was either Ron or Hagrid.

13. Did the Dursleys' attitude toward Harry finally change anytime after the events of DH or did Petunia and Vernon still shun him and his kind? I'm guessing he never saw much of them again. He may have as they would have had to go into hiding. Or perhaps they lived in another home now with it's own protection (much like Ted and Amdromeda's house.)

I have noticed as I have said above, that Jo answered all of the questions concerning the book, but not the ones brought up in her interviews. Weird. But yeah. As for the questions left open buy the epilogue... she wants us to run wild in the fandom now. So she's leaving that up to us.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:34 pm
First Year

I like that there are so many unanswered questions; not about the unimportant stuff (I really hope JKR does an encyclopedia so we can know what Harry's parents did for a living), but I think she leaves a lot open to us. I mean, I think it's more fun to imagine what Hermione does for a living than actually be told. Now we can have dozens of excellent fanfic stories that fulfill our own fantasies. And as for a lot of Jo's comments, like Grindelwald being dead--that stuff wasn't canon, and it was her prerogative to change it. So long as it doesn't contradict the other books (and the chocolate frog card said vanquished, not killed), then we can't complain.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:46 pm
First Year

THE VEIL!!!!
I was sooo sure that we'd see it in DH, or at least find out exactly what is was. Pretty disappointed that it wasn't even mentioned.

Anyway...some other questions I'd like to have answers to...
What jobs did the trio end up having?
What happened to Luna and Neville? Other than Neville becoming Herbology teacher.
What happened to everyone else not mentioned in the epilogue?
Did McGonagall become Headmistress?
What happened to Lucius & Narcissa Malfoy?
Did Draco realize the 'error of his ways'?
What happened to the dementors? How were they created/where do they come from? Can they be destroyed?
What jobs did Lily and James do?
What did Dudley see when the dementors attacked him?
What was the spell Dumbledore tried to use on Voldy in the Ministry of Magic in OOTP?
Who became Minister of Magic?
What happened to Fawkes?
What happened to the Dursleys?
Who got the reprieve and what were the two originally unplanned deaths?

That's all I can think of right now, there's probably more though.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:52 pm
First Year

Re: Answer these little questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridatta View Post
I presume that some of the loose ends were not answered in the book... I am asking these questions because either i didn't find proper answers or the details are missing.. Please help me ...

10. How did Hagrid retrieve Harry from the ruins of his parents' house if he was not told the location by the secret-keeper?

I'm thinking that when Wormtail told V where to find them and he attacked the family, the charm was broken - he was so proud of killing that people would see the Dark Mark over the homes of the murdered. I think that is how Hagrid was able to find the house, and how it was able to be made into a sort of shrine by the people in Godric's Hollow. If the charm had survived, that wouldn't have been possible...

Just a guess.

6. What was the Veil in the Department of Mysteries?

I think the veil shows us that there isn't a solid door between life and death - there is only a veil. Those we love who have passed on are not gone forever. They are separated from us only by this veil. This would explain how Harry was able to speak to Dumbledore (if you are of the school that thinks it was a real meeting, not a dream) and how his family and friends were able to reappear to walk with him to meet V in the forest.

I just think it's meant to show that Death isn't a permanent separation, but is more fluid.

Also, Sirius was often somewhat careless and sort of stumbled into Death by accident - showing us how fragile life is?

Geez, I've been up too long - I'm getting all existential-like on y'all.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:31 pm
Second Year

I think McGonnagall was the headmistress....and maybe harry was the head of auror office..though I bet his name would have been suggested for MoM
Hopefully Dursleys did survive....and maybe kingsley shacklebolt was given the post of MoM on a permanent basis!

by the way, what was in that room at the Dept. of Mysteries at the the ministry of magic??

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

Whilst I liked the epilogue in that we saw the five/six main (Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville and Draco) characters, I really would have liked a lot more information.

I'm glad they got together with each other and had children but I would have liked job information.

I would have liked to have known what had happened to the Dursleys and Grangers.

What did happen to Umbridge. Not that I really care, but it was kind of left.

There are lots of little things, but I would have loved a juicy epilogue filled with information.

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:51 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunagranger View Post
by the way, what was in that room at the Dept. of Mysteries at the the ministry of magic??
The general feeling seems to be that that's where they study love. I'm not sure that we have confirmation of that, though.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:56 pm
First Year

why did James and lily marry?
i know that lily said James doesn't perform dark arts, but she still hated him from what we could see the OOTP memory, and snape's memory doesn't really show the contrary.

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Third Year

What happened to Fudge and Fortescue? It wasn't so surprising we didn't here about Fudge, he probably just quit his advisary role, but I thought we might here about Fortescue.

“But that’s – I’m sorry, but that’s completely ridiculous! How can I possibly prove it doesn’t exist? Do you expect me to get hold of – of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything’s real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody’s proved it doesn’t exist!” [DH 21]

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References