Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Unanswered Questions

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:51 am
Second Year

Re: Unanswered Questions from the HP Series

I've got one:

What on earth happened to the veil and the DOM??

<3
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 2:52 am
First Year

When I read the book, I assumed that it was Dudley who was able to perform magic late in life - he was suddenly able to love, and show Harry that he did have some feeling towards him other than animosity.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:54 am
Sirius' Girl

Who acquired magic late in life?

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:12 am
First Year

Answer these little questions...

I presume that some of the loose ends were not answered in the book... I am asking these questions because either i didn't find proper answers or the details are missing.. Please help me ...

1. What "worst memory" did Dudley experience when he was attacked by dementors in Order of the Phoenix?

2. What were Lily and James' occupations?

3. Where did Fawkes go at the end of Half-Blood Prince?

4. How exactly did the Potters and the Longbottoms "thrice defy Voldemort"?

5. If Voldemort lost his body at Godric's Hollow, then who retrieved his wand?

6. Why did Regulus choose to leave the Death Eaters?

7. What did Dumbledore actually see in the Mirror of Erised in the first book? (not the pair of socks.. )

8. How did Ron and Hermoine enter the Chamber of Secrets without knowing parseltongue ?

9. What is it that dumbledore is referring to 'Remember my last, Petunia.'

10. How did Hagrid retrieve Harry from the ruins of his parents' house if he was not told the location by the secret-keeper?

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:12 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRae View Post
Okay, don't laugh at me but I just had this idea. Maybe she means Ron repeating parseltongue (sp?) to get into the CoS. I know he was just repeating what he heard Harry say but it's just a thought.
that was my first thought, actually. go Ron!

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:16 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Answer these little questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridatta View Post
How did Hagrid retrieve Harry from the ruins of his parents' house if he was not told the location by the secret-keeper?
Harry believes the Charm to have been broken by the deaths of his parents. Voldemort believes the Charm to be broken once he learns the Secret from Wormtail. I'd rather believe Harry, myself. Either way, though, it means the Fidelius Charm had ended before Hagrid arrived on the scene.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:18 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchape04 View Post
I think the late in life was a relative term...Ariana Dumbledore performed a bit of uncontrolled magic to kill her mother. This would have come (little did she know) toward the later part of her life. Its just a theory, and i know that she had done magic earlier, but she had nevertheless given up all magical tendencies.

My question is: If Ariana gave up magical tendencies after her run in with the muggles, then why werent the dursleys able to quash the magic out of harry when they tried so hard to do so??
Harry had the same symptoms that Ariana had. He only used magic unwillingly when he was stressed or felt an emotion(usually anger) strongly[ look at Harry Potter 1] when he made the glass dissappear dudley fell into the snakes habitat. the reason ariana was different is because she chose to not do magic and kept it inside herself willingly and with full knowlege of what she was doing. whiel harry tryed to stop it but had no idea how he was doing it.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:21 am
First Year

My biggest questions are:

How's George doing?
What about Luna, Dean, Seamus, and the rest of the DA?
I'd have loved to see a scene at the Burrow with Arthur and Molly as grandparents.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:21 am
Second Year

I think that Neville was actually the one who in desperate circumstances displays magic later in life. When discussing Ariana, someone (I think it is Rita Skeeter quoting someone; my husband has run off with my book) says that wizards/witches display magic by age seven. When Neville tells the Gryffindor boys about his family thinking he was 'all muggle for ages', then great-uncle Algie dropping him out of a window I thought he said that he was eight or nine, which would make him displaying magic later in life than normal and as he would have died falling headfirst from a window, it was in rather desperate circumstances.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:31 am
Fifth Year

I don't think so. She wouldn't have hinted around it like that if it was an incident we already knew about.

I was hoping to see some magic out of Filch during the battle, actually. I was a little dissapointed!

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:32 am
First Year

I'm a bit too lazy to quote all of the questions I have seen here, but here are a few things that I think:

About the people that discovered magic later in life- I honestly believe it was Dudley. Firstly because love is described as a type of magic and Dudley shows that he cares for Harry in DH. He also never seemed to love before. I'm not sure if there was anyone else but I would guess at Grindelwauld. He didn't tell Voldemort about the Elder Wand, so maybe that was love in the form of remorse.

About the veil- Odd references in the book to a veil made me think that it means that there is a veil between the living and the dead and that's all that they are separated by something very fragile- something that we will all someday have to fall though. But that's just what I thought.

I think Dumbledore won the duel with Grindewauld because Grindewauld wasn’t the true owner of the wand, (he stole it) and it wouldn’t work properly for him. I would like to know more about what happened here. Did Dumbledore shoot to kill? Or did Grindewauld’s own spell backfire as it had with Harry and Voldemort in DH? I just can’t image Dumbledore killing someone intentionally- even with all of these new skeletons that were hiding in his closet.

The Secret-Keeper question about how anyone but Bill could speak the name of Shell Cottage confuses me.

I don’t think Draco is a werewolf. I merely think Voldemort was taunting him about taking care of the cubs by saying that werewolves are inferior to wizards (not to mention- the cubs' family and friends are blood-traitors.)

I think McGonagall is the new headmistress.

And I have one new question:

When the part of Voldemort’s soul, inside, Harry, was destroyed, could he still speak parseltounge? I’m guessing not.

Last edited by Kenzzzie; July 24th, 2007 at 3:35 am.
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:51 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzzzie View Post
I think Dumbledore won the duel with Grindewauld because Grindewauld wasn’t the true owner of the wand, (he stole it) and it wouldn’t work properly for him. I would like to know more about what happened here. Did Dumbledore shoot to kill? Or did Grindewauld’s own spell backfire as it had with Harry and Voldemort in DH? I just can’t image Dumbledore killing someone intentionally- even with all of these new skeletons that were hiding in his closet.
Dumbledore didn't kill Grindewald, he mearly "defeated" him, and locked him up in his own prison Nurmengard (Sp?)

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:28 am
Third Year

Here are some of my questions and possible answers (if I can guess it):

1) Where is Snape's portrait!?!?!

2) What happened to McGonagall? Is she the new headmistress? (I'd like to think so)

3) Could Harry speak Parseltongue anymore? Does he still have his extraordinary powers that made hiim unique?

4) What happened to Lucius and Narcissa?

5) What happened to the rest of the Order?

6) Where did Harry really go in the chapter "King's Cross"?

7) Who displayed magic late in life? (I think it's Neville)

8) What happened to Luna, Dean Thomas, Cho Chang, Hermione's parents, George, Cornelius Fudge, Professors Sprout and Flitwick?

9) Why was Voldemort the dumbest and greatest dark wizard of his time? =D (that was just for my own enjoyment - but seriously, how could he be so blind as to repeat almost every single one of his mistakes AGAIN?)

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:43 am
First Year

I can't think of any questions that haven't been mentioned already, so I won't repeat them.

Someone asked about Aberforth getting the Sirius's mirror. I believe he said that Mundungus sold it to him.

And we don't know for sure what he would have seen, but Harry suspected that Dumbledore would have seen his sister in the Mirror of Erised, or perhaps his whole family together....something like that.

And I also think Teddy lived with his grandmother. But Harry did say (in the epilogue) that he came over 4 times a week for dinner, so at least the kid did get to see a good deal of his godfather, unlike poor Harry.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:57 am
Third Year

I'm also wondering what happened to the Dursleys. I hope Dudley and Harry made good on their last wish to see each other if everything went well in the end. I also hope they got to return home, because in the second chapter, when Harry was unpacking his stuff and leaving a lot of his Hogwarts stuff at home, he had wondered whether the Dursleys would burn it all...now that Dudley seems to have accepted Harry, and we know of Petunia's past, is it possible that they would also keep Harry's stuff as a keepsake? To remember their courageous and oft-mistreated nephew?

And maybe he brought Ginny to meet them?! Ooh, were they even invited to Harry and Ginny's wedding!?

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:57 am
First Year

Loose Ends?

I haven't seen a thread yet about loose ends, so here goes. Please feel free to answer if anyone knows - or add to the list if something is driving you nuts, too!

-- Who managed to "do magic late in life, under desperate circumstances'??

Was I the only one who missed it? I'm into the third reread and still draw a blank.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:07 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatefrog99 View Post
I've got one:

What on earth happened to the veil and the DOM??
That was my biggest disappointment. I mean, that was never resolved. The whole thing was very mysterious, especially the way they had it in the movie where it just kind of sucked Sirius up.

I mean, I was hoping for Sirius to somehow return in this book, or at least see Harry go into the veil and talk to him. I expected some sort of resolution, especially after the enigmatic comments Luna said about the veil at the end of OOTP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&i tem=170269184909

YOU'RE GOING TO END UP LIVING OFF A STEADY DIET OF GOVERNMENT IMPORTED CHEESE, AND LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:14 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conlio View Post
And I also think Teddy lived with his grandmother. But Harry did say (in the epilogue) that he came over 4 times a week for dinner, so at least the kid did get to see a good deal of his godfather, unlike poor Harry.
I wouldn't go off of how often Teddy sees Harry in the epilogue, because in the epilogue, Teddy is 19 years old which means that he's already been out of Hogwarts for one or two years and likely has a place of his own.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

how is gorge doing,has he been able to invent anything else without fred they were a team.

has the curse over the DDA been lifted

who teaches the class now

who is heasmaster at hogwarts,i suppose mgonagall

what do harry ron hermione ginny do for a livning

what year everyone got married...was it a double wedding

does harry ever play quiditch again,has he become aproffesional,not ahving tofight anymore seems likely

and luna,what happened to her...

teddy grew up with harry or his grandma...

mollys reaction to harry and ginny would have loved toread that i can imagine but i would have loved to read about it.

what happened to the dursleys...

who guards askaban now...

what is percy doing that he is giving out orders...

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:29 am
Always Indy's Girl

More Questions than Answers in DH?

DH was a magnificent book. It moved swiftly but I did feel that JKR has created more questions than given us answers in this book.

Lily green eyes? What was the significance? Harry's glasses, why are they important?

How did Aberforth know to contact Harry at important times? How could Ron speak Parseltongue?

Why was Dumbledore so uncaring of Snape when Snape was the only man in Voldy's inner circle and was sacrificing so much?

The way Dumbledore dismisses Snape's death speaks poorly of him. Why did Dumbledore not make provisions to ensure Snape and Harry would meet and work together?

What was the ancient magic that Lily used to save Harry?

Why is there no portrait of Snape in Hogwats?

She also has not given us eager and very greedy readers(I am both) information about the major characters after nineteen years.

What happened to the issues that plagued the wizarding world?

The goblins and speaking of the goblins how dd Gryffindor's sword come back into the Hat from Griphook.

What happened to Hermione's SPEW?

What happened to the death eaters, the ones we know and hate?

The dementors - where are they now? Who has control?

Umbridge?

A Patronus will go to the person intended. The place is not important. Why did Dumbledore wait until Phineas came with the information of the place Harry was staying at before telling Snape to send the Sword and the silver doe?

Why did Dumbledore not forge a relation ship between Harry and Snape? Why, why, why,....

Did you notice anything that raises a question than give you the answer?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References