Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Stephen King

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:11 pm
Third Year

Re: Stephen King

Wow Stephen King a fan of Harry Potter, thats kinda cool, he is in my top 5 fave authors, his work is just so gruesome, The Shining is the only book yet to have genuinely scared me! I love it!!! I have to ask myself how he comes up with such ideas though, I mean surely this man must have had quite a disturbing childhood, or gone through a traumatic experience or something. He really does have a (to put it nicely!)bizarre imagination! I mean dont get me wrong, he is great even if slightly disturbed!!!

An author similar to him is Dean Koontz, i dont know if anyone else has heard of him but he is seriously great, I think some of his books could also be great films just like Stephen Kings

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 3:19 pm
Second Year

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and I've read lots of his books. I know what you mean about his bizarre imagination though. The majority of the books I have read by him are great but there are just a few which were very weird. Pet Cemetary was soooooo scary! I can't bring myself to watch the film after reading the book!!

Old August 7th, 2007, 4:23 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyluna0114 View Post
An author similar to him is Dean Koontz, i dont know if anyone else has heard of him but he is seriously great, I think some of his books could also be great films just like Stephen Kings
Dean Koontz isn't in the same league. He's written some good stuff but I gave up after Intensity which is pretty close to the worst book I've endured.

Plus he started to show signs of being infected with the same paranoia evinced by some of the whackier branches of the far-right.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Last edited by Wab; August 7th, 2007 at 4:31 pm.
Old August 7th, 2007, 7:42 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherngoddess View Post
I've never read a single book written by Stephen King. I've seen the movies though. I've intended to read some of his novels, but never got the chance.
His books are made into the worst movies. It wasn't too bad, but I still had a lot of issues with it. (Of course, I'm not exactly one to see a movie based on a wonderful book and love it to death)

And, I believe, but I could be wrong, that he said he was afraid of Dementors, not Death Eaters.

Old August 8th, 2007, 4:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Dean Koontz isn't in the same league. He's written some good stuff but I gave up after Intensity which is pretty close to the worst book I've endured.

Plus he started to show signs of being infected with the same paranoia evinced by some of the whackier branches of the far-right.
I agree, I can't stand Deen Koontz, he's such a bad writer (Dan Brown bad) and his books are just generally bad. His characters are annoying and completely unlikeable too.

Old August 9th, 2007, 1:20 pm
Suteki da ne

IT is my favourite of his. I also like:

The Stand
Needful Things (but the dog getting killed is HORRIBLE)
Pet Semetary (the first film to really scare me)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Misery
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
The Green Mile
Different Seasons
The Talisman (with Peter Straub)

If you change your mind
Old August 9th, 2007, 2:51 pm
Third Year

I used to read a lot of Stephen King--The Stand was one of my favorite books. I haven't read much of his recent work.

I think he and JKRowling have some things in common as writers. I think both are exceptional storytellers. It's really easy to get lost in the worlds they create. I've never even been to Maine, but I feel like I know it from reading King's books and of course, who doesn't feel like they could actually attend Hogwarts or shop at Weasley's Wizarding Weezes? They both have created characters that have real "sticking power"--I find myself thinking about many of their characters as if they were real people that I might run into in the grocery store. Both seem like exceptionally nice and well-grounded people with sincere devotion to their families and spouses. Both have made a fortune from their work and I personally am delighted for them.

It remains to be seen whether either of them will be authors of enduring impact. I guess Rowling has the better chance; American critics have not generally been kind to Stephen King. I think there's a certain level of snobbishness among critics--if the masses love it, it can't possibly be worthwhile.

In any case, both have given me a lot of enjoyment and entertainment. I think I may have to go reread the Stand and compare the religious themes with those in DH.

Old August 9th, 2007, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWeasley View Post
It remains to be seen whether either of them will be authors of enduring impact. I guess Rowling has the better chance; American critics have not generally been kind to Stephen King.
Although he did receive The National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:39 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Although he did receive The National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.
I didn't know that; that's great.

I heard him speak once at some writer's event and there was a lot of grumbling about how he wasn't "worthy" of the distinction. I think some pompous creep even asked him if he (Stephen King) thought people would be interested in his work in 100 years. I can't remember exactly how he replied (this was many years ago) but I remember being impressed with the poise and generosity of his answer.

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:51 pm
First Year

I started reading Stephen King when I was fourteen, two years ago. i've read the Dark Tower series, the Stand, the Talisman, and Gerald's game.
They're pretty good books but I don't read them a lot. Right now, actually, I'm reading Pet Semetary. I just saw the movie. It was sort of scary.

Read my fan fiction!
Lily Potter
Feedback for Lily Potter

Here lies Dobby a free elf.

I will always miss you Dobby.

"Albus Severus...you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and probably the bravest man I ever knew." ~Harry
Old August 9th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Pet Sematary is a bit of a contractual obligation book. After he wrote it he decided it was too horrible a thought and put it in his desk but when he was one book away from ending an unhappy relationship with a publisher he submitted it.

Old August 9th, 2007, 4:09 pm
Fifth Year

Remember that event in NYC sometime last year, with all the writers at Radio City or somesuch? The one where JKR wore the serpent high heels? And Stephen King was there? IIRC he was one of the moving forces behind the organization of that event.

I remember the clips of Q and A's - including ones between authors: it was clear King wanted to hear from JKR and that he was a huge HP fan. He was eager to steer questions JKR's way.

I've only read some of his books. I have mixed reactions to them. I wouldn't say I'm a Stephen King fan, but I have enjoyed some of his books. Misery is my favorite thus far.

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Old August 9th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWeasley View Post
It remains to be seen whether either of them will be authors of enduring impact. I guess Rowling has the better chance; American critics have not generally been kind to Stephen King. I think there's a certain level of snobbishness among critics--if the masses love it, it can't possibly be worthwhile.

In any case, both have given me a lot of enjoyment and entertainment. I think I may have to go reread the Stand and compare the religious themes with those in DH.
I think they will both be authors of enduring impact, Stephen King's books will last for generations, they already have (well two generations at least, maybe three). Someone mentioned would his books last 100 years- I think they'll last longer. The Dark Tower especially, and loads of his other stuff, look at It and The Stand: that's a post-apocalyptic novel that will last forever and probably always be relevant. It's set in the late 80s but when I read it today I can relate to the fear expressed in it. I also thoroughly enjoy his books, with the exception of one or two, but then he has so many books and such a range of stories that no one is going to love all of them. I started reading SK when I was 14 (It) and that was because my mother loves his books and passed them to me. I'm sure my children will eventually read them, and so on and on.
You're right about the critics though- anything so popular is usually dismissed, it's laughable. It's like popular is a synonym for second-rate writing- absolute stupidity. JKR gets the same sort of drivel written about her books.
Look at this piece from the Boston Globe, written by some guy (called Harold Bloom) who sounds so snobby it's almost over the top:

"The decision to give the National Book Foundation's annual award for "distinguished contribution" to Stephen King is extraordinary, another low in the shocking process of dumbing down our cultural life. I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind...What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible....Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

What a joke. I'd like to see Mr Bloom write such brilliant, enjoyable and amazing stories and have as many people get so much pleasure from them.

Old August 9th, 2007, 5:55 pm
Third Year

Yeah, that's pretty much typical for academics.

I feel sorry for the unfortunate children of Mr Harold Bloom, should they exist.

Old August 20th, 2007, 8:14 pm
Second Year

Are there are Stephen Kings books which they are thinking of making into films? I'm thinking about this year or in the near future? I know '1408' is out at the cinemas soon - it looks good, all I know is that it's based on a short story by Stephen King.

Old August 21st, 2007, 1:44 am

Frank Darabont is making The Mist.

The Talisman was optioned when it was first published in 1985 and has had numerous proopsed dates for a theatrical release (the last was 2004).

It is now slated for a 2008 release as a mini-series. It has had a troubled history.

Old August 21st, 2007, 11:43 am
First Year

Stephen King is my favorite author, among with JK Rowling. I've read a lot of his books, they're all pretty scary. My favorites are The Shining, It, Night Shift, Needful Things, Salem's Lot, and I also love the short story Riding The Bullet.

Draco Malfoy fan for ever
Old August 21st, 2007, 7:11 pm
Second Year

I really liked It and Needful Things too. The Stand is great also, but it's a very long book. What did everyone think of Lisey's Story? That's one of his most recent books I think.

Old August 21st, 2007, 8:57 pm
First Year

Steven King is amaaazing...read Misery...it's one freaky-deeky book

The Green Mile is one of my all-time favourite books

"I'm afraid I just blue myself"
Old August 22nd, 2007, 3:21 am
First Year

i recently watched the movie secret window, i think its by stephen king, don't know if it follows the book accurately but it was a pretty good movie, i enjoyed watching it

HEHW OCOR RUPTS
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy