Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Stephen King

Old July 7th, 2007, 2:23 am
Second Year

Re: Stephen King

Only Stephen King can compare the end of DH to the end of the Sopranos. Let's hope no music from Journey will be involved...

In all seriousness, The Stand, is, by far, one of my favorite books...

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2007, 7:56 am
Second Year

I just saw 1408 and thought it was ok....I didn't read the short story...but It wasn't that scary. Don't get me wrong Cussack was awesome and Jackson, I just didn't find it that scary as people imagined it to be. It seems to be a scary story though...

The Forum Rules
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 7th, 2007, 8:07 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

That's a beautiful essay about Harry Potter and the end of the series. He's as obsessed as the rest of us!

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old July 7th, 2007, 8:20 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieXxDust View Post
I think IT would probly be the closest to based on books.
Oh no, no, no. IT was an appalling adaptation even for a writer whose works have a record for being horribly adapted.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 7th, 2007, 8:24 am
Second Year

Really...Then again I haven't read most of the books so I take it back..What book do you think is based on the movie right on?

The Forum Rules
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:59 am

Probably Stand by Me which was based on the novella "The Body".

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old July 7th, 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Elephant

Maybe "Children of the Corn" also originally a short story?

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old July 7th, 2007, 1:38 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLupin View Post
Maybe "Children of the Corn" also originally a short story?
You're right about that. A somewhat bloody story, but nothing like the "slasher movie" they turned it into. Then they made a sequel!!! I was so disappointed that I left early with the first one, I didn't even attempt to see the second. They already had ignored the real story in the first movie, what could they put in the sequel?

Old July 7th, 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
You're right about that. A somewhat bloody story, but nothing like the "slasher movie" they turned it into. Then they made a sequel!!! I was so disappointed that I left early with the first one, I didn't even attempt to see the second. They already had ignored the real story in the first movie, what could they put in the sequel?
Stephen King gets his work torn to shreds in scripts. I think you are right that film makers would do better to stick to the concepts and descriptions in the books! I know they think they need to add action sequences, but it kills the dark anxiety building effect the books are so very good at.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old July 8th, 2007, 6:35 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Probably Stand by Me which was based on the novella "The Body".
Was it any good? I didn't read or see the movie...

The Forum Rules
Old July 8th, 2007, 7:05 am
First Year

I agree that film adaptations of Stephen King's books are usually awful. The scariest SK book I ever read (probably the scariest book I ever read, period) was Salem's Lot, but the movie was really bad and not scary at all.

Three exceptions: The Shawshank Redemption, (based on SK's short story, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption), screenplay written and directed by Frank Darabont, is a masterpiece. I also liked Silver Bullet with Gary Busey and The Green Mile with Tom Hanks.

I agree there's no way just one movie could be made from the Dark Tower series. I've read all of them and they are way too long and complex. Could be done, as someone said, as a mini-series on HBO or something.

Old July 8th, 2007, 7:12 am
Second Year

Did you guys like Cujo? Not sure if that's the right way spelling it

The Forum Rules
Old July 8th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieXxDust View Post
Did you guys like Cujo? Not sure if that's the right way spelling it
That is the right spelling. I did like the book it was properly scary and intense. Of course I like almost everything Steve writes with two exceptions (which I have posted before - only one that I really hated.)

As for the movie, they did everything right up to the ending. The end was a complete 180 degree turn from the book. I saw it only once I was so disgusted. I don't know if you have seen or read it so I don't want to "spoil" it for you.

The movie actually did a good job portraying the anxiety of dealing with a rabid dog. I sure hated the ending. (I guess you've noticed that.)

Last edited by BublGumPnkHar; July 8th, 2007 at 2:08 pm.
Old July 8th, 2007, 2:13 pm

A total cop-out in the lowest traditions of Hollywood.

Old July 8th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Third Year

I loved King's article about the impending end of the HP series. If you are one of his "constant readers" I don't think it's a surprise that he likes HP so much. It seems a story that's right up his alley I mean he put references to HP in the Dark Tower, which he proclaims to be his life's greatest work. That's saying something. I remember reading the Dark Tower, and I was all aflutter to discover the little references, lol.

As far as the most faithful movie adaptations, I'd have to agree that the best is "The Shawshank Redemption". Some of the lines from the movie are taken directly from the book ( a short story), and there really are very few differences between the two. One of the most faithful adaptations I have seen. I wish they'd make "The Talisman" into a movie; that's one of my favorite King novels, and I think it'd make a great jump from page to screen (if it was done well).

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends"

Old July 8th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Rough rule of thumb is that the shorter the story the better the adaptation. Douglas Adams believed that a short story was the ideal length.

Old July 9th, 2007, 4:50 am
Second Year

I haven't seen some of his movies including Cujo...

The Forum Rules
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:33 pm
Banned

It was obvious to me that SK was obsessed with JK after reading Lisey's Story and the Cell. He stole quite a few things from her and some character names. I think he was shocked, and a little jealous of the reception she received during her reading at Radio City. I was rather annoyed at Lisey's Story because of it. He stole her dementors. He was a bit envious of that piece of JK imagery, me thinks. I liked The Cell, probably one of the few people in the world, But his Riddle (pronounced Rid-dell) was annoying. I thought The Cell could have been a series. I still wonder if they are sort of jousitng with each other. I swear Harry on the UK cover looks JUST LIKE SK!!

Old July 10th, 2007, 4:53 am

SK didn't "steal" anything. The references to pop culture (in this case HP) were in the tradition of his work dating back more than 30 years. All of his stuff is littered with references and allusions which are there for anyone who has read widely (particularly in the spec fiction genres).

Old July 10th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
SK didn't "steal" anything. The references to pop culture (in this case HP) were in the tradition of his work dating back more than 30 years. All of his stuff is littered with references and allusions which are there for anyone who has read widely (particularly in the spec fiction genres).

Well at least he cleaned up the F-bomb, substituting an "sm". Which I found rather stupid in Lisey's Story. I have read most of SK, and I know he alludes to pop culture. But I think he is running out of ideas, if he needs to incorporate "fan obsession" into another book. Misery said it all. And I DO believe his shrouded figures near the water in Lisey's Story were dememtor driven. He may not be "stealing", but he was "influenced" by JK in Lisey's Story.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy