Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Stephen King

Old March 15th, 2007, 10:32 pm
Second Year

Re: Stephen King

Yeah, the Dark Tower is fantastic. I'm not done with it yet, but from the first 5...amazing. And I love how it's got so many references. That's what makes the work so rich to me. It's not overbearingly connected, but there is enough there to just make you say...wow...that's creepy. Especially the Pennywise stuff. That clown had to be the creepiest thing I've ever read.

Oh, and for you Dark Tower book lovers you might want to check out the comic. It's really quite good so far.

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 4:59 pm
Second Year

Oh I love Stephen King. My two personal favorites are the Stand and the Talisman (I also really loved Bag of Bones and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon).

Simply put, the Stand is one of the best books that I have ever read. I'm in awe of King's skill at creating 3d characters. They were so realistic in the novel that its kinda odd to think that they're not really alive. Nick, Larry, and Stu were my absolute favorites. Its one of those journey and discovery fantasies that I think everyone should have a chance to read. As much as I liked the movie it just wasn't as touching OR as frightening as the book. Sad to say, some characters scared me much much more than Flagg. Mainly because Flagg had no choice but to be evil. His followers... they made the choice to do all the horrible things that they did. (Kinda sounds like Voldemort and the Death Eaters). Although, the post-apocalypse society painted in the Stand was scary, it was much more palatable than most of the genre. I think I'm going to read it again.

Gotta give my love to the Talisman as well. What a great adventure novel. Wolf was adorable. I tried getting into the Black House... but I couldn't do it. I just don't like the Dark Tower series. And I tried everything I could to get into it. Read the first two books and didn't really like them. Tried to get into the third by listening to it as an audiobook... they're really not my cup o' tea. I don't see the attraction to the story.

Uh oh, looks like my signature is demonically possessed again. Better than no message at all, though!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Old March 19th, 2007, 3:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrinka View Post
Oh I love Stephen King. My two personal favorites are the Stand and the Talisman (I also really loved Bag of Bones and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon).

Simply put, the Stand is one of the best books that I have ever read. I'm in awe of King's skill at creating 3d characters. They were so realistic in the novel that its kinda odd to think that they're not really alive. Nick, Larry, and Stu were my absolute favorites. Its one of those journey and discovery fantasies that I think everyone should have a chance to read. As much as I liked the movie it just wasn't as touching OR as frightening as the book. Sad to say, some characters scared me much much more than Flagg. Mainly because Flagg had no choice but to be evil. His followers... they made the choice to do all the horrible things that they did. (Kinda sounds like Voldemort and the Death Eaters). Although, the post-apocalypse society painted in the Stand was scary, it was much more palatable than most of the genre. I think I'm going to read it again.

Gotta give my love to the Talisman as well. What a great adventure novel. Wolf was adorable. I tried getting into the Black House... but I couldn't do it. I just don't like the Dark Tower series. And I tried everything I could to get into it. Read the first two books and didn't really like them. Tried to get into the third by listening to it as an audiobook... they're really not my cup o' tea. I don't see the attraction to the story.
The first time I tried to read the Gunslinger it was a copy that happened to be wherever it was I was staying at the time. I just could not get into it. I can't remember what made me go back to it, but I seem to remember, that it had to do with the review of a new volume and the fact that this interview made note of the connections in other King books. Whatever it was I bought it, read it in a afternoon and went out a bought all the others that were available at the time. I never do that. I detest waiting and I am always afraid that they will never be finished due to old age, death, or the author losing interest in them. I buy a series when it is finished so Harry is the second series I have bought as it came out.

When Mr. King was hit by that van I was truely afraid Roland would never get r' done.
He was lucky he survived it at all I wanted to camp on his doorstep and cheer him on and light candles. It is only an hour from where I live so I could have made it a daily day trip.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 5:29 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

He's awesome!! He's a great movie directed and a wonderful author. His movies and books give me the chills. He's simply fantastic!

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 2nd, 2007, 5:42 pm
Student

The Stand is my all time favorite Stephen King book. The back story of the characters and his attention to detail are amazing. I did not know that he was a JKR fan. I like him even more now!

Old April 2nd, 2007, 5:53 pm
Second Year

Anyone ever see that episode of Celebrity Deathmatch with Stephen King vs. JK Rowling?
Hilarious.

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts
...but you cannot deny he's got style..."-Phineas Nigellus
Old April 2nd, 2007, 5:54 pm
Banned

Stephen King is one of JK's biggest fans(no pun intended). I think he is a little jealous of her though. He loves her dementors and has said he wished he could have thought of it. In his book "Cell", his character is named Tom Riddell (pronounded Riddle, or the other way around, for the Stephen King incunks, I gave someone the books to read, so don't I don't remember which.)

Also in his new book "Lisey" he has dementor-like characters, and the story is about an author with a huge obsessive fan base. (sound familiar?) I really enjoyed both books. I've always been a fan and he has toned down the language in" Lisey" (or rather, just substituted an sm for a f).

I haven't mentioned his name on the threads before, because his books are for adults mostly.

Have you noticed the "Harry" on th cover of the UK version looks just like a young Stephen King?? I wonder if Stephen and JK have a joke between them. They both have very funny/macabre senses of humor.

Saw Celebrety Deathmatch- JK should have won!!

Last edited by machiavelle; April 2nd, 2007 at 6:21 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 6:04 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelle View Post
Stephen King is one of JK's biggest fans
He's an admirer but nowhere near a biggest fan.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 2nd, 2007, 6:24 pm
Banned

WAB - I think you are right, but I would advise JK not to turn his penguin the wrong way.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 6:49 pm
Second Year

I haven't really read all of the books, I do like some of the movies. I think IT would probly be the closest to based on books. I have seen IT, Rose Red, Secret Window;Secret Garden, The Green Mile, and The Shining.

The Forum Rules
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 6th, 2007, 6:34 pm
Seventh Year

Has anyone heard the new that there may be a film (maybe movies, maybe mini series) adaption of the Dark Tower series!!! The news is that J.J. Abrams (the creator of LOST) is working to adapt it.

Here's the article I read about it....

Quote:
JJ-Abrams-Making-The-Dark-Tower

By JoshTyler: 2007-02-14 00:44:56

JJ Abrams Making The Dark Tower It’s looking less and less likely that J.J. Abrams is going to direct Star Trek XI. He’s still writing and producing it, but it now seems almost certain he’ll have something else to direct instead. That’s bad news for Star Trek fans, but maybe good news for anyone who’s read Stephen King’s “Dark Tower” series. According to IGN, that’s what Abrams is ditching Trek for. They claim he’s planning to direct a project based on King’s book series.

The catch is, that no one knows what kind of a project this will be. It could be a movie, a television series, a mini-series, or even a series of movies. If you’ve read the “Dark Tower” books then you know how complicated they are. There’s absolutely no way you can squeeze them all into one film. So if it’s a movie, we presume the film will only cover the first of King’s books, “The Gunslinger”. But really, as complex as they are, the novels probably lend themselves best to a limited run television series on something like HBO or Showtime.

So far, IGN hasn’t been able to get any sort of confirmation on their scoop out of JJ’s people. They aren’t denying it, they’re just not going to comment… which usually means there’s something to it. If the rumor’s untrue, most production companies are quick to squash it.

As a Trek fan, I’ll be deeply disappointed of Abrams jumps off the Enterprise in mid-production to do something else. He really is the franchise’s best hope to return to relevance. Without him, the odds drop considerably. Sure he’s still involved in the process, but there’s no way they’ll find anyone decent to direct it when they don’t have complete control over what they’re making. Brace yourself for the return of Jonathan Frakes. At the same time, you almost can’t blame Abrams. This is “The Dark Tower” after all. King’s books, especially the first three or four, are truly brilliant material. Turning that into a television series or a feature film has to be a dream come true for anyone who’s fan of well… things that are good. On the things that are good scale, “Dark Tower” rates pretty high indeed.

For those of you foolish enough to miss out on the last few decades of Stephen King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower is the story of a man from an alternate universe named Roland. He’s a gunslinger, though not exactly in the way we think of the word. He’s the last living member of an order of gunslingers, sort of like a group of knights. He’s on a quest to find something called “The Dark Tower”, and his journey takes him through his world, described as a place that has “moved on”, and into a world very similar to our own.

King recently completed his “Dark Tower” series with book seven. Since then it’s already spawned a series of graphic novels, the first of which was released just last week… which makes this rumor terribly convenient for anyone trying to get extra publicity for the comic books.

Emotional Landscapes
Old July 6th, 2007, 6:42 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Stephen King is such an amazing writer. Right now I''m reading 1408 and its so suspenseful! I love it

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends

Last edited by lil_snuffles; July 6th, 2007 at 6:47 pm.
Old July 6th, 2007, 6:44 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
Stephen King is such an amazing writer. Right now I''m readin 1408 and its so suspenseful! I love it
I just read that for the first time last week in preparation to see the movie.....which I have yet to see.

Emotional Landscapes
Old July 6th, 2007, 6:46 pm
Animaga terpsichore

My mom and I want to see the movie so bad. But I need to finish the story first so I know whats going on. (Thats just how I am. If I hear that there will be a movie made from a book, I'll try to read the book first but it doesnt always happen that way.)

Old July 6th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
My mom and I want to see the movie so bad. But I need to finish the story first so I know whats going on. (Thats just how I am. If I hear that there will be a movie made from a book, I'll try to read the book first but it doesnt always happen that way.)
Yeah, I'm the same way. I did the same thing when Secret Window came out a few years back. When I found out it was a short story by Stephen King I made sure to read it before seeing the movie. I loved the story, the movie....not so much.

Emotional Landscapes
Old July 6th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Yeah, I'm the same way. I did the same thing when Secret Window came out a few years back. When I found out it was a short story by Stephen King I made sure to read it before seeing the movie. I loved the story, the movie....not so much.
I never read the "Secret Window" book, though I saw part of the movie. I guess it was okay. My mom saw it and said it was good.

Old July 6th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Seventh Year

Stephen King has written a column for EW about the end of the Harry Potter series.

Quote:
Goodbye, Harry

I'm having a day of mixed feelings: happy because I'm reading the manuscript of a novel that's full of magic, mystery, and monsters; sad because it will be finished tomorrow and on my shelf, with all its secrets told and its surviving characters set free to live their own lives (if characters have lives beyond the end of a novel — I've always felt they do). It's called The Monsters of Templeton, by Lauren Groff, and it will be published early next year.

Did you think I meant the final Harry Potter tale? Don't be a sillykins — not even your Uncle Stevie gets that one in advance (although I'm sure you agree that he should, he should). But I expect to face the same feelings, only stronger, when the pages of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows dwindle down to the final few. Hell, I had trouble saying goodbye to Tony Soprano, and let's face it — he was a turd. Harry's one of the good guys. One of the great guys, in fact, and the same holds true for his friends.

The sense of sadness I feel at the approaching end of The Monsters of Templeton isn't just because the story's going to be over; when you read a good one — and this is a very good one — those feelings are deepened by the realization that you probably won't tie into anything that much fun again for a long time. This particular melancholy deepens even more when the story is spread over multiple volumes. I felt it as I approached the end of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy, more strongly as I neared the conclusion of Frodo's quest in The Lord of the Rings, and with painful keenness when, as the writer, I got to the end of The Dark Tower, which stretched over seven volumes and a quarter century's writing time.

When it comes to Harry, part of me — a fairly large part, actually — can hardly bear to say goodbye. I'd guess that J.K. Rowling feels the same, although I'd also guess those feelings are mingled with the relief of knowing that the work is finally done, for better or worse.

And I'm a grown-up, for God's sake — a damn Muggle! Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, with its cartoon jacket and modest (500 copies) first edition. Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods — magic summers spent in the porch swing, or reading under the covers at camp with flashlights in hand, or listening to Jim Dale's recordings on long drives to see Grandma in Cincinnati or Uncle Bob in Wichita. My advice to families containing Harry Potter readers: Stock up on the Kleenex. You're gonna need it. It's all made worse by one unavoidable fact: It's not just Harry. It's time to say goodbye to the whole cast, from Moaning Myrtle to Scabbers the rat (a.k.a. Wormtail). Which leads to an interesting question — will the final volume satisfy Harry's longtime (and very devoted) readers?

Although the only thing we can be sure of is that Deathly Hallows won't end in a 10-second blackout (you're going to hear that a lot in the next few weeks), my guess is that large numbers of readers will not be satisfied even if Harry survives (I'm betting he will) and Lord Voldemort is vanquished (I'm betting on this, too, although evil is never vanquished for long). I'm partly drawing on my own experience with The Dark Tower (reader satisfaction with the ending was low — tough titty, since it was the only one I had); partly on my belief that very few long works end as felicitously as Tolkien's Rings series, with its beautiful pilgrimage into the Grey Havens; but mostly on the fact that there is that sadness, that inevitable parting from characters who have been loved deeply by many. The Internet blog sites will be full of this was bad and that was wrong, but it's going to boil down to something that many will feel and few will come right out and state: No ending can be right, because it shouldn't be over at all. The magic is not supposed to go away.

Rowling will almost certainly go on to other works, and they may be terrific, but it won't be quite the same, and I'm sure she knows that. Readers will be able to go back and reread the existing books — as I've gone back to Tolkien, as my wife goes back to Patrick O'Brian's wonderful sea stories featuring Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin, as others do with novels featuring Travis McGee or Lord Peter Wimsey — and rereading is a great pleasure, but it's not the bated-breath, what's-gonna-happen-next suspense that Potter readers have enjoyed since 1997. And, of course, Harry's audience is different. It is, in large part, made up of children who will be experiencing these unique and rather terrible feelings for the first time.

But there's comfort. There are always more good stories, and now and then there are great stories. They come along if you wait for them. And here's something I believe in my heart: No story can be great without closure. There must be closure, because it's the human condition. And since that's how it is, I'll be in line with my money in my hand on July 21.

And, I must admit, sorrow in my heart.

I've been both sad and happy about Harry Potter finally coming to a close, but for some reason after reading Stephen Kings article it really hit me hard. I'm terribly sad this is all ending....

Emotional Landscapes

Last edited by Neptune; July 6th, 2007 at 8:14 pm.
Old July 6th, 2007, 8:56 pm
Second Year

I've just read what Stephen King has said about the last Harry Potter book and i actually had a lump in my throat reading that, so god knows what i'm gonna be like reading the book.

Old July 6th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Stephen King has written a column for EW about the end of the Harry Potter series.

I've been both sad and happy about Harry Potter finally coming to a close, but for some reason after reading Stephen Kings article it really hit me hard. I'm terribly sad this is all ending....
That just made me even more sad about the HP series being over. . King must really like the books

Old July 6th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally62442 View Post
I've just read what Stephen King has said about the last Harry Potter book and i actually had a lump in my throat reading that, so god knows what i'm gonna be like reading the book.
Same here ally.

This part particular made me tear up a bit...

Quote:
Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods — magic summers spent in the porch swing, or reading under the covers at camp with flashlights in hand, or listening to Jim Dale's recordings on long drives to see Grandma in Cincinnati or Uncle Bob in Wichita. My advice to families containing Harry Potter readers: Stock up on the Kleenex. You're gonna need it. It's all made worse by one unavoidable fact: It's not just Harry. It's time to say goodbye to the whole cast, from Moaning Myrtle to Scabbers the rat (a.k.a. Wormtail). Which leads to an interesting question — will the final volume satisfy Harry's longtime (and very devoted) readers?

Emotional Landscapes
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy