Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Works of JRR Tolkien

Old March 26th, 2007, 9:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: New J.R.R Tolkien book to be published next month!

Wow, this is exciting! I've just preordered the book - I'm so excited for it to come out. I'm a little unclear though as to whether or not Christopher Tolkien actually wrote portions of it, or if he just edited his father's work.

Old March 26th, 2007, 5:21 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The Works of JRR Tolkien

Wow! This is so exciting! I'd pre-order, but I have no money. Ah well - all in good time. Those of you who read it, come and tell us what you think!

Old March 31st, 2007, 12:57 pm
Third Year

I've just read the LotR series and The hobbit. I find the books simply amazing! I plan to read his other works soon.

Old March 31st, 2007, 5:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqen View Post
I've just read the LotR series and The hobbit. I find the books simply amazing! I plan to read his other works soon.
Same here. I'm gonna read some more of his work later.

Old March 31st, 2007, 5:26 pm
Second Year

Hmm... tomorrow I now have to go to Waterstones to bug them about 'Children of Hurin'

Old March 31st, 2007, 7:30 pm
Third Year

I have only read the LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit. I would like to read more of his books, though.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old April 1st, 2007, 2:46 am
Sixth Year

Re: New J.R.R Tolkien book to be published next month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
Wow, this is exciting! I've just preordered the book - I'm so excited for it to come out. I'm a little unclear though as to whether or not Christopher Tolkien actually wrote portions of it, or if he just edited his father's work.

I think Children of Hurin is mostly JRRT's, with Christopher bridging any gaps. It will probably be similar in style to the Silmarillion, although Christopher later said he regretted injecting too much of himself in the Sil. I think Children of Hurin will be closer to what JRRT intended.

I can't wait to get it!

I'm just wild about Harry

Proud but Surprised Owner of an OUTSTANDING on the Level 3 W.O.M.B.A.T.
Old April 1st, 2007, 7:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I never got throught the silmarillion(sp?) I found it unbearably boring.

Old April 1st, 2007, 10:40 am
Second Year

I love the LotR trilogy and The Hobbit. I liked the movies too, even though some things were changed. Peter Jackson did a great job. Another good version is the BBC dramatized radio version done around 1980, with Ian Holm playing Frodo and Bill Nighy as Sam. I played those tapes driving to work and back all the time - that is until I got my Harry Potter tapes.
Favorite scenes of the BBC version are Sam singing "Gil Galad" and Gimli reciting the Durin poem in Moria. I have that one memorized.
Also Peter Woodthorpe as Gollum telling Frodo about the path that leads from the tower "...down, down, down...to Gorgoroth". Just the way he says it gives me a shiver!

Last edited by freyasd; April 1st, 2007 at 10:43 am.
Old April 1st, 2007, 9:09 pm
Second Year

What is Simarillion about?

Old April 2nd, 2007, 5:06 am
Sixth Year

the sirmarillion is about the events happened before the war of the ring, ,meaning it is all about the beginning of middle earth, the valars and maias, the coming of elves and men and dwarves, which are the ancestors of aragorn, arwen and gimli and hobbits...
one of the best books i have ever read..

cant wait for the children of hurin

Old April 2nd, 2007, 9:05 am
Seventh Year

true, true, but i don't remember there being anyhobbits in the Sil.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old April 3rd, 2007, 7:54 am
Sixth Year

it did mention just a bit about the hobbits....

Old April 3rd, 2007, 4:29 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I love the Hobbit! It's my favorite. I've tried reading Fellowship of the Ring, but it just didn't work for me. I've read another of his works, but I don't remember what it was.... He's a great write or was.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 17th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Seventh Year

The Children of Hurin released today!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all you Tolkien fans out there, today, the Children of Hurin was released (Tuesday 17th April 2007), and it is set to be one of the most hyped things within the Tolkien community since we heard that movies were going to be made of the books, as it will finally allow us to view a masterpiece, that has previously been fragmented, as one complete story.

A link to a report on the book: http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/default.asp

I have ordered the book, and should hopefully arrive tomorrow. Once i have a chance, i will write a book report on it, and post it on this wonderful site first.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:00 am
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Well I don't know (yet) about the literary content of the book, but at least it will be visually stunning with Alan Lee taking care of the illustrations.

I love the story of how Peter Jackson commandeered him (almost literally) for concept designs on LOTR, for a few weeks -- months -- how long did he stay in New Zealand?!!

Oh how I wish Jackson had the rights to The Hobbit -- I'm still keeping my fingers crossed...

Old April 18th, 2007, 7:13 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm a very big LoTR fan - but I've never read anything else by Tolkien except for the Hobbit. I really want to read this new book, but I'm afraid I won't get it because I've never read the Silmarilion or unfinished tales. I'll read it anyway I think - maybe it will inspire me to read more Tolkien.

Old April 18th, 2007, 7:46 am
First Year

Oh wow I'm gonna have to read more Tolkien, I didn't know he had anything else to do with Middle Earth after Hobbit and LOTR. <3 My soul has just been enriched

Old April 18th, 2007, 8:25 am
Fourth Year

I'll pick up a copy of Children of Hurin tomorrow.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old April 18th, 2007, 6:34 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I really want to read this new book, but I'm afraid I won't get it because I've never read the Silmarilion or unfinished tales. I'll read it anyway I think - maybe it will inspire me to read more Tolkien.
Don't worry. There's an introduction, where Christopher, (Tolkien's son) tell the events that help to make the story make sense, for all those people who haven't read the silmarillion.

Review, part one:

I got the book today! However, i haven't read the actual story yet, only the introduction, and some of the appendices. The introduction is really good, as it allows a newcomer to understand the contex in which the story is being set. The appendices, for those interested in it, have a detailed summery of how the work because the form it is today, as well as the changes made from the Narn to the actual book.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy