Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Works of JRR Tolkien

Old February 21st, 2006, 4:28 pm
Third Year

Re: The Works of JRR Tolkien

Yes, that song is quite interesting, tells a lot of the dwarve's history. I wish JRRT had wrote more about the history of the dwarvish race, they are quite interesting.

I also like the song that Aragorn sings to the hobbits at weathertop, the one about Gil-galad and Elendil.

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2006, 7:15 pm
Second Year

Another fan here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I read the Lord Of The Rings during the summer holidays when I was ten. My dad had got it as part of the summer loan from the library. Those holidays were before my scholiosis operation, and I remember carrying around whichever tome I was reading at the time, to read in the hospital waiting room. Sometimes, when I was near the end of one, I'd be carrying two tomes around!!! I now own a one tome copy. I'm not quite sure wether I read The Hobbit before or after that, but I know I read the Silmarillion when I was older, say 13 or 14 and loved it. It's got a lot of history but I didn't mind that, and I loved all the elves in the book. They were always my favourite race. I did get confused sometimes though, especially when the humans apeared - I kept forgetting who was an elf and who was human. i liked the apendixes too, SilverArrow.
as for my favourite song...I liked all of them really. If I had to pick just one, I'd say Finrod Felagund's song from the Silmarillion, because I really loved his character. Or maybe Legolas' song of the sea, Galadriel's Lament, the Oilima Markirya (where does that come from? i found it on the internet) Gil-Galad's song, the songs for Elbereth (Varda Elentari), Nimrodel, Another of Galadriel's (I sang of leaves...), Frodo's lament for Gandalf...
Yes, I'm dreadful at choosing.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Claudi Alsina, Spanish mathematician

There's no greater burden than a great potencial. Linus Van Pelt, Peanuts.

I'm a Ravenclaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud supporter of the Lyceum, Knights for the order of St. Bisclavret and W.O.L.F.
Old February 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm
Second Year

I'm a Tolkien-fanatic!! I've read LOTR four times, The Unfinished Tales and The Hobbit twice, The Silmarillion (my favourite book) three times! I simply love the world of JRR...it's wonderful!!! I took my nick by the Silmarillion...Idril Celebrindal is one of my favourite characters!

Old February 27th, 2006, 7:39 pm
Third Year

I read the LOTR books when I was in Year 6, so I was about 10 or 11. I liked them but I remember finding 'The Two Towers' quite hard going for some reason. I think I'll reread them sometime soon as I might enjoy them more now I'm older.

Old February 27th, 2006, 9:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia305
I read the LOTR books when I was in Year 6, so I was about 10 or 11. I liked them but I remember finding 'The Two Towers' quite hard going for some reason. I think I'll reread them sometime soon as I might enjoy them more now I'm older.
I had trouble with The Two Towers too. I'm not sure why,though. You probably will enjoy them more. I read them when I was ten, but I enjoyed my re-read more.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Claudi Alsina, Spanish mathematician

There's no greater burden than a great potencial. Linus Van Pelt, Peanuts.

I'm a Ravenclaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud supporter of the Lyceum, Knights for the order of St. Bisclavret and W.O.L.F.
Old March 9th, 2006, 5:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
I'm not brave enough to try The Silmarillion yet!
It's not too bad actually (well I'm not that far into it yet but it's been ok so far). What I'm doing is only reading a chapter at a time and keeping a notepad handy and writing a quick summary of the chapter as I go along. Apparantly a good map is a big help also. You should also remember that most people in it go ny two or three names, so maybe making a list of them all would help...

Old March 9th, 2006, 6:51 pm
Second Year

Tolkien's works are classics. He is probably the best fantasy writter that has ever lived. I have read most of his books and I loved them.

Old March 9th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Sixth Year

I love Tolkien. I can't get enough of his books. They're exquisitely written, and there's never a dull moment. (For me, at least.) I'm about to start rereading The Lord of the Rings and then I'll probably read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales again.

Old March 9th, 2006, 7:48 pm
Fourth Year

I'm in the middle of Fellowship, having just read The Hobit.

I LOVED The Hobbit! Bilbo just totally came to life for me. He is just so sweet, always wishing to be back in his hobbit hole and dreaming of bacon and eggs. He shows such amazing courage, and somehow Gandalf knows what he is capable of.

Can't wait to get home to read more of the Fellowship. I'm not that far in yet, they've just gotten to Brandybuck.

Old March 10th, 2006, 1:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
Oringinally posted by MorfinIsNuts:
Can't wait to get home to read more of the Fellowship. I'm not that far in yet, they've just gotten to Brandybuck.
I'm re-reading and I just past that part.
HUGE fan of LOTR!!!! I've read the Silmarillion too many times to count, and its better if you read the trillogy first. The Hobbit is really good, but really different from the other books-the trillogy is much more grown up.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkSphynx:
I love Tolkien. I can't get enough of his books. They're exquisitely written, and there's never a dull moment. (For me, at least.
I hear you!!

"First, let no one rule your mind or body. Take special care that your thoughts remain your own. One may be a free man and yet bound tighter than a slave. Give men your ear, but not your heart. Show respect for those in power, but don't follow them blindly. Judge with reason and logic, but comment not. Consider none your superior, whatever their rank or ststion in life. Treat all fairly or they will seek revenge. Be careful with your money. Hold fast to your beliefs and others will listen...Of the affairs of love, my only advice is to be honest. That's your most powerful tool to unlock a heart or gain forgiveness. That is all I have to say." -Garrow Eragon hardback, pg 64
Old March 10th, 2006, 1:23 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklek
It's not too bad actually (well I'm not that far into it yet but it's been ok so far). What I'm doing is only reading a chapter at a time and keeping a notepad handy and writing a quick summary of the chapter as I go along. Apparantly a good map is a big help also. You should also remember that most people in it go ny two or three names, so maybe making a list of them all would help...
That has just scared me even more! I will try and read it someday soon though because I love The Hobbit and I've read The Lord of the Rings about a million times so I think I'd probably enjoy it...or at least I hope I will!

Old March 10th, 2006, 1:31 am
Fifth Year

I grew up watching the animated version of The Hobbit on PBS (it was just a movie not a series) and loved it very much. I now own The Hobbit and The LotR Trilogy and love them too! When I read the trilogy I thought it was kinda tedious the way Tolkien describes every little thing, but I still couldn't put the books down. And really I love the amount of description he uses because his world is so real. It is as if Middle Earth is a place you could actually visit (oh how I wish I could!). My uncle can speak elvish and when he was growing up his friends and him would write letters to each other in code so their moms couldn't find out what they were doing! My brother is also really into LotR. I love Jackson's adaptation of the books (even if some of my favorite little parts were left out). My favorite movie was Two Towers, it was so powerful. I really enjoy the themes Tolkien uses, like his stances on war and industrialization. He was so amazing!

"I want to do it properly," were the first words of which Harry was fully conscious of speaking. "Not by magic. Have you got a spade?" ...He dug with a kind of fury, relishing the manual work, glorying in the non-magic of it, for every drop of his sweat and every blister felt like a gift to the elf who had saved their lives. ...Harry wrapped the elf more snugly in his jacket. Ron sat on the edge of the grave and stripped off his shoes and socks, which he placed upon the elf's bare feet. Dean produced a woolen hat, which Harry placed carefully upon Dobby's head, muffling his batlike ears. ..."There," she said softly. "Now he could be sleeping." Harry placed the elf into the grave, arranged his tiny limbs so that he might have been resting... ...Here lies Dobby, a free elf.
Old March 10th, 2006, 2:51 am
Fourth Year

What a coincidence, I just finished reading the Silmarallion a few hours ago and here's a new thread on Tolkien! I first read (and re-read) the LotR Trilogy about 7 years ago, but I could never quite get myself to read the Silmarallion. I'd say that it's well worth it for any fan. Some of it is a bit confusing (so many names in so many languages) but parts of it really took my breath away. It was interesting considering that it was unfinished and edited together by Tolkien's son. There were some chapters that were so beautifully written and as suspensful as anything in the Trilogy. I wish that Jackson or some other genius would expand some of the chapters into a movie. (I liked the story of Beren and Luthien in particular). Overall it just adds to my appreciation of LotR and the Hobbit. I haven't read the other stories. Someone else posted they are earlier drafts of the Silmarallion?

Old March 11th, 2006, 6:49 pm
First Year

an other tolkien fanatic ive read the lotr, the hobbit, the Silmarillion and some of the unfinished tsles. the only yhing is im not a grat reader and find it hard to read the lotr but i have read it 2 times all the way through and loads of bit in between especially the stewart and the king i love that chapter. i dont know how you could all read it ad 10 i never could have i only started reading since i was introduced to hp at 11 and its much much easier to read thats why i read it more. but i do loove the movie trilogy ive watched them literly hundreds of times and thats what got me reading the books. as you can probably see my all time favorite charactor of all time is eowyn i just love her so much.

Old March 14th, 2006, 7:04 pm
Fourth Year

Now that I'm reading the books, I see just how much the movies left out. Guess it was necessary though, because they were already long movies as it is!

But Tom Bombadil is so funny!

I just found this about Tom Bombadil. Sort of an interesting read:

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm

Last edited by MorfinIsNuts; March 14th, 2006 at 7:34 pm.
Old March 16th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Third Year

Yeah, Tom Bombadil is sort of an interesting charachter. I think JRRT wrote a book about him. Has anyone read it?

Old March 16th, 2006, 9:25 pm
First Year

Yes he did, it's "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil". That is one of the few books that I do not have by Tolkien. I have been a Tolkien fan every since reading my first book in the 6th grade. It was the "Hobbit".

I absoultely love Middle Earth!

Old March 19th, 2006, 2:05 am
Third Year

Hey, who doesnt?

I love lotr too, and sometimes i wish i could escape to the Shire, or Rivendell, or someplace like that.

I think that you guys had problems with the Two Towers because it is slow going at first, and the whole part of Frodo and Sam's journey is boring in that book.

In fact, i only find that their journey is exciting in the Fellowship, and at the very end of the Return of the King.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 3:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrow
Yeah, Tom Bombadil is sort of an interesting charachter. I think JRRT wrote a book about him. Has anyone read it?

Now I have not read the book, but what you are about to read came from a book shop owner who told me facts about the book. It is a book of poetry, written almost completely through Bombadil's eyes. It is very good and very interesting according to the book shop owner.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 3:42 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorfinIsNuts
I just found this about Tom Bombadil. Sort of an interesting read:

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm
I would sort of have to disagree with the author's theory of Bombadil as the Witch King since if he was Bombadil, when he tried on the ring and was unaffected he would have kept it, killed Frodo, and returned the ring to Sauron. It's also interesting to note that the website that hosts the theory is called Tolkien Crackpot Theories...

The Encyclopedia of Arda is a teriffic Tolkien Encyclopedia, sort of like what the lexicon is for us. There they have an excellent article on Tolkien's most mysterious inhabitant of Middle Earth, he who "remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn... He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside,'" Tom Bombadil.

I think that the question of "Who is Tom Bombadil" is one of the coolest, most goose-bump inspiring parts of Lotr.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy