Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

Old June 27th, 2011, 6:16 pm
Sixth Year

The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

Has anyone read these books? I love them because they're better than the Twilight books. I love Rose and how rebellious she is. I don't want to say any more until I know whether anyone else has read these books.

Old June 29th, 2011, 7:47 am
Third Year

Re: The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

I began reading them and stopped about halfway through the third book. I enjoyed them as well (and thought the story had more going for it than the Twilight books) but something came up while I was reading and I was away from the book too long to jump back into it quickly. It's a bad habit of mine, but I tend to walk away from books if I take a break and can't get back into it right away. (Yes, I am ashamed.)

Thank you, COS, for the last 16 years. Iím so happy to see youíre still around.
Old June 29th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Sixth Year

Ah, I see. You should really try and get back into them. They're really good and have a good premise about good and evil.

Old August 12th, 2011, 4:04 am
Seventh Year

I LOVE Rose! I read these a while back along with some co-workers of mine. We swooned over some Dimitri too!

There is a spin off series coming out. Have you heard about that yet?

Old August 12th, 2011, 4:51 am
Seventh Year

Recently bought the first book of this series, as it was on sale at Amazon. Haven't read it yet. That's next on my To Read list.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old August 12th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, but the spin-off series won't involve Lissa, Dimitri, or Rose. It'll be about other characters from what I've heard. The others might be there, but I don't think they'll be a central part of the story.

Old August 12th, 2011, 7:14 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Yeah, but the spin-off series won't involve Lissa, Dimitri, or Rose. It'll be about other characters from what I've heard. The others might be there, but I don't think they'll be a central part of the story.
I'm putting my response in spoilers since someone is just started on the series.

Spoiler: show
Yea I think it's supposed to be the alchemist girl (Sydney?), Adrian, Lissa's sister Jill, and Eddie the other Moroi friend of Rose. To me Rose and Dimitri's big story is done, so I'm glad the focus will be taken off of them. If she wrote too many more books from Rose's perspective it would get to drawn out and possibly bring down the character.

Old August 12th, 2011, 8:44 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, but I think what they should do is maybe a story from Lissa's perspective. That would be really cool.

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:37 am
Second Year

I used to love this series! It had awesome characters, interesting plot and fascinating mythologies. Rose was a much better heroine and role model than Bella from Twilight, and her relationships with Lissa and Dimitri felt real (unlike Bella's relationships with a certain vampire and werewolf). The first three books were amazing - Shadow Kiss is definitely my favourite in the series. Richelle Mead could make me laugh, cry, feel tense and feel love, hate and worried for her characters. Blood Promise wasn't as good as the first three, it dragged in places and I began to dislike some of the characters, but I enjoyed it overall because it introduced awesome new characters and backstories. However everything went to hell in Spirit Bound. Rose suddenly became selfish and vain, the plot was uninteresting, confusing and slow - and the so-called "twist" at the end? Oh I could see that coming miles away. It was like Vampire Academy had been written by a totally different author! I can't bring myself to read the last book, I just can't. Such a shame that a great series became another Twilight.

Old August 30th, 2011, 4:03 am
First Year

I love vampire academy. Right now, I am working on blood promise. Did you know there is going to be a movie coming out in 2013.

Old September 6th, 2011, 1:39 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Yeah, but I think what they should do is maybe a story from Lissa's perspective. That would be really cool.
Haha I didn't like Lissa, so I'm glad she focused more on the other characters. I read the book, I don't want to comment till others have read it though. I did enjoy it though.

Old September 14th, 2011, 3:07 pm
Sixth Year

I'd love to check it out, but I want to read some other books, too.

Old September 14th, 2011, 6:56 pm
Member of the Order

I saw these books the other day in the bookstore...couldn't get past the title.

What is with these books and vampires as the heroes? (I'm assuming here since I hadn't read the books)

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old September 14th, 2011, 7:36 pm
Second Year

I've read the first one, but I have yet to read the second book in the series. I've had it for months and it's still unread. Maybe it's because I liked the first book and didn't *love* it? I'm not sure. I'll get to it, eventually.

I've heard you can read Bloodlines without having read the Vampire Academy series, but I also heard it might spoil some minor plot lines from VA.

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Sixth Year

I've not heard that, but I'd like to read it eventually.

Old September 15th, 2011, 4:32 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post

I've heard you can read Bloodlines without having read the Vampire Academy series, but I also heard it might spoil some minor plot lines from VA.
I would suggest reading the first book series. Bloodlines is it's own story. But it uses many characters from the previous series. The main character is introduced in (I think) the second to last book of the original Vampire Academy series. And it references quite a bit to the old series, so without reading the previous series I think parts of Bloodlines may be confusing.

Old September 15th, 2011, 3:19 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, I would think she'd reference characters from the other series. Do Lissa, Dimitri, and Rose make any appearances in the book?

Old September 15th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Second Year

Yeah I was planning on reading VA first anyway - but just telling what I heard

Old September 16th, 2011, 2:57 pm
Sixth Year

I saw Bloodlines in Wal-Mart yesterday and read the summary of the book. While it looks interesting, I don't really know if I want to read it or not. I'm on the fence.

Old September 19th, 2011, 5:33 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
I saw these books the other day in the bookstore...couldn't get past the title.

What is with these books and vampires as the heroes? (I'm assuming here since I hadn't read the books)
My 15 year old niece suckers me into these books haha.

Quote:
Yeah, I would think she'd reference characters from the other series. Do Lissa, Dimitri, and Rose make any appearances in the book?
Spoiler: show
Hmm, trying to think of how not to give too much away. Not Lissa, she's mentioned a few times but doesn't make an actual appearance. As for the others you mentioned, sort of a cameo that alludes to possible later appearances in the series. They are also referenced off and on in the series.

Last edited by crookshanks1177; September 19th, 2011 at 5:38 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy