Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Scifi and Fantasy books getting the "Game of Thrones treatment"

Old June 13th, 2011, 9:15 pm
First Year

Scifi and Fantasy books getting the "Game of Thrones treatment"

Hey guys,

With the Game of Thrones being a smash at HBO and a new Hobbit movie in the works, the time is ripe for some great scifi and fantasy books to enter the world of television and movies as well. What do you guys think? What books do you want to see become movies in the near future?

For my part, I want to see Glen Cook's "The Black Company," Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori," Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars," Greg Bear's "Blood Music," and Trudi Canavan's "Magician's Guild." I love them all so much! Oh yeah, and while it was a game before they made any books, of course I'd want a Halo movie.

-Nobody? I figured the Harry Potter fans would know where it's at more then anybody else...

Last edited by Cassidypjames; June 14th, 2011 at 10:30 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2011, 1:03 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Scifi and Fantasy books getting the "Game of Thrones treatment"

Funny that you're asking... Just a few days ago my brother pointed out a German-language article to me about plans to turn "Startide Rising" (2nd of David Brin's Uplift series) into a movie:

http://www.sf-fan.de/aktuelle-meldun...-verfilmt.html

I was re-reading that book at that moment (have now finished and started number 3 - it's a really brilliant and addictive series!), and so was very happy to read that info. Unfortunately it turns out that the article was from 1998, so they must have shelved the movie, as so far I have seen nothing else about that project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startide_Rising
http://billwardwriter.com/startide-rising-review/
http://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?ID=31
http://www.davidbrin.com/upliftbooks.htm

(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

My Snape fanfics: Reflections (F&B), The Red Light of the Sun (F&B), The Trapdoor Trials 1, 2, 3 (in "Snape's POV 2"),
Greetings from Down Under and An Unusual Patronus ... are hereby shamelessly advertised
Old June 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm
First Year

Dang, I hate it when that happens. I remember looking up Halo movies and getting all excited, only to discover that it must have been shelved. In another forum, somebody mentioned completing the Golden Compass series, "His Dark Materials." What do you guys think of that? For those of you not familiar with the books, the second and third book are far superior to the first one, which is unfortunate that it worked out that way...

Old June 17th, 2011, 3:25 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidypjames View Post
Dang, I hate it when that happens. I remember looking up Halo movies and getting all excited, only to discover that it must have been shelved. In another forum, somebody mentioned completing the Golden Compass series, "His Dark Materials." What do you guys think of that? For those of you not familiar with the books, the second and third book are far superior to the first one, which is unfortunate that it worked out that way...
I would have loved to see this series completed.

Old June 17th, 2011, 7:23 am
First Year

Quote:
I would have loved to see a second and third His Dark Materials movie made, but apparently they did a bad job with the first film. Still I would have loved to see Will and Lyra on the screen.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:36 am
First Year

I agree that the first one wasn't very good, but I might suggest that warrior polar bears is a hard sell, lol. Whenever I read the books, I always thought of it as the first book being the setting, while the second and third books being the actual story. Maybe that's just me...

What do you guys think of tv shows that had been canceled before their time making a return? Specifically I mean Firefly, Dollhouse, and a good Stargate series. Well, and my personal weakness, Andromeda

Old June 18th, 2011, 1:16 am
The Next Great Adventurer

TV's a business. If shows can't cut it, that's life. Genre shows are no different.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 18th, 2011, 3:48 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuceMalfoy91 View Post
I would have loved to see a second and third His Dark Materials movie made, but apparently they did a bad job with the first film. Still I would have loved to see Will and Lyra on the screen.
Well, however bad the first movie was, adapting the other books in that series would require either mercilessly gutting all of the science/magic/religion or making films that enrage half the world.

Old June 19th, 2011, 12:36 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
What books do you want to see become movies in the near future?
-Nobody? I figured the Harry Potter fans would know where it's at more then anybody else..
Plenty of responses here (over 56 pages): Books you would like to see made into movies

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Funny that you're asking... Just a few days ago my brother pointed out a German-language article to me about plans to turn "Startide Rising" (2nd of David Brin's Uplift series) into a movie:

http://www.sf-fan.de/aktuelle-meldun...-verfilmt.html
That's awesome! I haven't read that series in ages. Glad someone's doing something with it. I hope it doesn't get the treatment that The Postman did tho.

I would LOVE to see them actually finish the "Ender's Game" movie that they've been talking about since the kid from "The Sixth Sense" could play Ender, tho I would love to see it as a blend of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow

Always

proud member of the Pottermore Battalion!
StrikeQueen203 on Pottermore
Old November 14th, 2012, 7:26 am
Banned

Quote:
For my part, I want to see Glen Cook's "The Black Company," Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori," Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars," Greg Bear's "Blood Music," and Trudi Canavan's "Magician's Guild." I love them all so much! Oh yeah, and while it was a game before they made any books, of course I'd want a Halo movie.
The only one I've read in the list above is Tales of the Otori. I'd love to see that series made into a movie or tv series!

Old November 14th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Curse Breaker

Magician's Guild would be intersting if they got the right cast together and took the pains to location scout. But frankly, it looks like there's only room for one well-made epic series at a time. Until GoT runs its course (and only if it runs its course without causing genre fatigue) will we see another attempt.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy