Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) 2.0

Old November 7th, 2010, 8:59 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) 2.0

Spoiler: show
Woah, many things to think of and thanks for the great collection of knowledge we actually already have on ghosts! I couldn't quite bring all of them together an hour ago and so even didn't want to start.

Collin: That's some possibility to a relation to Harry's dad (or Harry's dad's death) I never saw or assumed until now. It wouldn't totally surprise me if Murphy who has such a good sense on magic had some magical relatives in the one or other way, though.

I'm actually glad if Kravos stays dead as one of the eternal killed ethereal beings. Somehow this guy shocked me more than the blackest vampire.

If Susan saw Harry killing her... that's a shocker. Even the possibility that my boyfriend is able to would probably make me run away fast. Admitted I likely would assume fiction due to the odd clothes I wore and altar settings I'm in... Seriously, it's the best guess I heard about her reaction yet. Doubtfully we'll see more of her (or will we?), so there's not much else left which could explain her fainting.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2010, 9:05 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
It's about time Harry gets some form of contact to his parents again, yup. If they and Morgan actually are ghosts, I like this thought very much. Since I first wasn't sure about Jim actually said in his interview - thanks MrsLupin for the help again! - I wonder if there won't be 'helpful ghosts' as well. Not only enemies died or were killed by Harry, friends did too. Can a vanilla like Carmichael become a ghost? What's about Shiro and "see you after"?

So coming from Potterverse I wondered what actually we know by now about the reasons staying at ghosts and how much power they have left (if they more than an 'imprinted soul' or something other authors developed).

We know it's not those only who aren't brave enough to reach the other end but rather these who still have some duty on Earth it seems from the instalment to come. But we also met ghosts who "classically" stayed to harm the living because they were unfairly treated. So I hope we get a better picture on what are the determinates and how dead people actually may have a say in it in Ghost Story. And where their limits will be. From the quoted interview text bits I'm fairly sure I'll like these descriptions when it comes to Harry.
There's a LOT of people who could definitely come back as ghosts in this story, but the one I really wonder about is Lash. She kind of "died" but she wasn't really a full entity but if she was, would she be able to contact Harry?

By the way, aren't ghosts supposed to be the ones that died distressed or something and wanted to change something even in death or something along those lines?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 7th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Eldest Gruff

Can't say for sure but I got the feeling Lash will come back another way. She's for my liking too powerful to reappear as ghost. Even Harry as ghost works only for me because he is going to loose all his magical training, but Lash's powers had a different origin and were of another shape. I wouldn't mind if we already saw her back again, though. Stories with Lash are good stories.

Harry Dresden.
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Can't say for sure but I got the feeling Lash will come back another way. She's for my liking too powerful to reappear as ghost. Even Harry as ghost works only for me because he is going to loose all his magical training, but Lash's powers had a different origin and were of another shape. I wouldn't mind if we already saw her back again, though. Stories with Lash are good stories.
That's why I'm kind of iffy about if she'll come back, but at the same time, I'm really hoping since she's in a way "dead", and non humans can become Ghosts as evidenced as the Nightmare, and I would really love to see her again so I've got my fingers crossed .

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:51 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Well, Jim did say that Lash was "redeemed". So, she could have been sent right up to the White God and started working for the good team. It's just mostly wishful thinking on my part, that we get to see her in this book.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old November 8th, 2010, 6:19 am
Eldest Gruff

I'm just not sure whether we could see her as ghost, but it's still quite possible she's back in the one or other way during the story. Harry being a ghost could make the trick that she gets contact to him again. If she wants.

Harry Dresden.
Old November 8th, 2010, 5:48 pm
Fifth Year

All these idea and theories have gotten me even more excited for GS! Is it March yet?

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old November 12th, 2010, 5:04 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I'm enjoying Side Jobs so much! It such a great tide-you-over sort of book until we can get our hands on Ghost Story. I was reading today and thinking how much fun it must be to write such a smartass as Harry Dresden. You know, to just be able to write all the great telling-offs that you could never actually do in real life but have always wanted to do.

Old November 12th, 2010, 7:57 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I'm enjoying Side Jobs so much! It such a great tide-you-over sort of book until we can get our hands on Ghost Story. I was reading today and thinking how much fun it must be to write such a smartass as Harry Dresden. You know, to just be able to write all the great telling-offs that you could never actually do in real life but have always wanted to do.
Lucky . My copy hasn't come in for rental yet from the library... I'm #3 out of 8 right now... so still waiting there .

Same here... he must have some real fun writing him as a character.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 14th, 2010, 3:09 am
The Next Great Adventurer

My guess it that he'll contact Mort Lindquist for some help and communication to the living.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old November 14th, 2010, 2:32 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I've thought Mort from the very beginning, too. Sleeper pick? The gatekeeper. Or both Mort and the Gatekeeper.

Jim had some cryptic "both seven months later and right after" thing. Something tells me that the time paradox / whateveryouwannacallit is resolved / involves the gatekeeper

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 14th, 2010, 3:43 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've thought Mort from the very beginning, too. Sleeper pick? The gatekeeper. Or both Mort and the Gatekeeper.

Jim had some cryptic "both seven months later and right after" thing. Something tells me that the time paradox / whateveryouwannacallit is resolved / involves the gatekeeper
Definitely Mort. Since the snippet says "Harry gets sent back", I'm voting Jake/Uriel. Possibly Bob. And I'm keeping fingers crossed for Lash...come on, Lash!

Rashid, huh? He is the Gatekeeper, which covers more than Outsiders, but thresholds and the like...

But the only one I know for sure has the absolute power & privilege to swim against the currents of time without facing punishment for breaking wizard law, and it isn't Rashid. It's Eb McCoy, the White Council's Blackstaff. His position as Blackstaff gives him a sort of blanket immunity and so he can break any of the 7 laws.

What worries me, in considering bringing Dresden back from the dead {using a type of Necromancy} is something that Jim said once. He was speaking about the now canceled tv show but then segued to the novels:

And while the magic isn't being depicted from the same angle as the books, there /are/ several similarities in the rules that govern magic, one of which is: you don't get something for nothing. The forces of magic exist in balance. I mean, if you want to bring back someone from the dead, it's only reasonable that...

Dun, dun, dun....so, does that mean if/when he does come back that someone else must take his place in the land of the dead? And if so, who is it gonna be?

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.

Last edited by Kat_Suki; November 14th, 2010 at 3:46 pm.
Old November 14th, 2010, 3:52 pm
Eldest Gruff

If we assume that McCoy plays a game in this to actually perform the magic, my best guess currently is that he put himself in Harry's position. Jim has some taste for the family-sacrifice kind of thing, although he admittedly also is always up for a surprise.

Harry Dresden.
Old November 21st, 2010, 4:05 pm
First Year

i read changes not too long after it came out. i liked it, but....... i just dont know what to say. i thought things happened a little abruptly. like, one minute hes the same as always, the next he has a daughter (who never finds out who he is) and everything he owns its obliterated. not only that but all of a sudden he and murphy decide to go out on a date together? i just think the whole process was heavy handed. i cant wait for the next book to come out so i can find out how butcher will continue the series with the main character an insubstantial ghost. with harry dresden dead and murphy doing all the fighting, you cant call it the dresden files anymore. know what i mean?

Old November 27th, 2010, 3:37 pm
Secret Keeper

Apparently Ghost Stories is going to focus on Harry still. Not sure how it'll work though

My Deviantart Account

Old November 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Registered Animagus

Got a sneaking suspicion that Harry will somehow return to life by GS's end, but as for how I've no idea (beyond resurrection via God, but that's getting dangerously into religion, which I tend to avoid at all costs).

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old November 27th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
Got a sneaking suspicion that Harry will somehow return to life by GS's end, but as for how I've no idea (beyond resurrection via God, but that's getting dangerously into religion, which I tend to avoid at all costs).
Looking at Monoc securities and the Eijenhar (spelling is probably way off) may give a clue. I think Mort, the gatekeeper, and Vadderung will all come back in GS. I too am relatively sure Dresden will come back to mortal life at some point, but he may not be the same dresden.

Random thought: Has Ebenezer ever been killed and brought back?!

Looking back at Grave Peril, one of the ghosts had their own demense in there (area of the Nevernever). I wonder if Harry will have a similar situation.

Still can't shake the image of Dresden as pacman, running away from the crowd of ghosts. One does then wonder what the "fruit" is that he'll be able to "eat" in order to turn the tables.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Secret Keeper

I'm not quite sure if he'll return to mortal life, but maybe he will become some type of spirit or other magical being instead. And if he does get his life back, I'm not sure it'll be as a human or at least not sure if he'll still be a wizard

My Deviantart Account

Old November 28th, 2010, 5:16 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
Got a sneaking suspicion that Harry will somehow return to life by GS's end, but as for how I've no idea
That's my feeling, too. I have no idea how Butcher will do it, but I believe Harry will be back by the end of the book.

Old November 28th, 2010, 2:52 pm
Fifth Year

Chris, I love your Pacman analogy. Now you have me thinking!

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy