Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) 2.0

Old November 3rd, 2010, 4:12 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) 2.0

Thanks for the link, MrsLupin!

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2010, 8:41 pm
Fifth Year

gk,

Spoiler: show
Jim said that since Harry has killed a lot of bad guys, they would all be waiting for him as ghosts. So a gang of ghosts will come after Harry.

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old November 3rd, 2010, 9:01 pm
Eldest Gruff

Thanks! I got that, ahem, almost right.

(Need to listen to more audio books or something...)

That's an information which makes me looking forward GS even more, if possible. To met the evil boys again whom Harry killed during the last twelve books... mmmmh.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 9:02 pm
Seventh Year

My copy of "Side Jobs" just arrived via UPS. Can't wait to read it!

But, I'm going to have to. I want to finish this "Artemis Fowl" novel first. Then I can give "Side Jobs" my undivided attention.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old November 4th, 2010, 2:11 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

I'm beginning to think that the comment Jim made about Harry solving his own murder means we're on the wrong track. Unless we go visit Faerie again, somehow, in which case the main suspect is definitely Fix (or some replacement of his as Summer Knight). Kincaid almost seems too obvious

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 4th, 2010, 8:32 am
Eldest Gruff

Kincaid is for sure obvious. I tend to believe we get him within the first chapters of GS, but then spend the rest of the book searching for the actual motivator; disturbed by the many dead of Harry's PI jobness. Granted, it would probably the best disguise if Kincaid actually acted out of own motivation for once.

Oi, seriously, what do we have? No such book analysis, but rather intuitive I tend to guess on some side effect that got him killed, but not through the 'big enemy' behind. They don't want him dead, not that way or at this point at least. Fix aka the whole Winter Knight plot seems to be a good guess, but also a quite close one. Is there anybody left with some more distance to the actual events of changes who still would try to get Harry killed by such mundane ways?

Harry Dresden.
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:21 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Thanks! I got that, ahem, almost right.

(Need to listen to more audio books or something...)

That's an information which makes me looking forward GS even more, if possible. To met the evil boys again whom Harry killed during the last twelve books... mmmmh.
Shadowman (doubt he'd have the power to maifest but still...), McFarlen (was that the Loup Garou's name? Been a while since I read Fool Moon), though to be fair he'd probably be an ally, Bianca's a cert, she's going to want Harry's face more than another shot at life I'd say, Aurora'll probably want in as well, Nicodemus too if he's actually dead (doubt it but still)... the Necromancers will definitely want some time with Harry as well, um... the folks from Blood Rites definitely don't have the power to do much so they're probably out, I don't think we ever got a confirmed big bad for
Proen Guilty did we? I know they set Molls up, but we never found whoever it was that did it, Skavis and Malvora will be wanting a taste of Dresden as well I'd bet, and last but not least, Peabody'll probably want a shot as well.

Wowza, that's a lot of people you don't want in your rogue gallery... Dresden, you're screwed.

Still, at least your dad my crop up. Mom too. In fact, I'd put money on it.

ETA: "Bring criminal elements to justice - Marcone, anyone? For all this talk of Kincaid we forgot about the resident Badbutt Normal. If we's not involved in this somehow, I will eat my hat.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/

Last edited by GodricHollow; November 4th, 2010 at 12:25 pm.
Old November 4th, 2010, 6:33 pm
Fifth Year

Sigh, I guess I will have to go back and reread the series to fairly consider all the different deceased bad guy. ::: Poor me:::

gk, James Marsters does a great job with the Dresden audiobooks, I usually listen to them.

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old November 4th, 2010, 8:18 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLupin View Post
New Interview with Jim - There are Changes and Aftermath spoilers plus some really good info on Ghost Story!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1VQ...layer_embedded
Cool . I'll have to watch it when I can.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 4th, 2010, 9:55 pm
Seventh Year

How many here read "Aftermath" first thing? That's what I'm doing.

-Tibbetts

Old November 4th, 2010, 9:56 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I'm getting so many visions of Harry as Pacman being chased by a pack of different-colored ghosts

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:02 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm getting so many visions of Harry as Pacman being chased by a pack of different-colored ghosts
That one's priceless -- and rather fitting. I certainly don't envy him there...

Just put in a hold for 'Side Jobs' at my local library ...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 4th, 2010 at 10:05 pm.
Old November 5th, 2010, 4:10 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbetts View Post
How many here read "Aftermath" first thing? That's what I'm doing
I did! Flipped immediately to it and read on through.

Old November 5th, 2010, 5:46 am
Seventh Year

*highfive* Yep, that's what I'm doin' right now. Figured I'd get the continuation out of the way before reading the others.

-Tibbetts

Old November 5th, 2010, 2:24 pm
Fifth Year

I forced myself to be patient and read the stories in order. It was tough though!

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old November 7th, 2010, 5:12 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Wow. It's been so long since I logged on that ya'll started a new shiny thread! *randomly waves to everyone*

So, I'm guessing most everyone's managed to get Side Jobs...or it's on your list? Jim answered a fan question about Aftermath earlier this year...spoilers abound:

“In most, if not all of the previous short stories/novellas you could easily miss them without missing anything in the main books, will this hold true for Aftermath? Yes I am trying to gauge how important the story is so that I can speculate on what will happen in Ghost Story

If you read “Aftermath” it should reduce some of the system shock that’s going to happen in Ghost Story.

The events of Changes… well, /changed/ /everything/ in the story world. You get to see the first of many, many dominoes starting to fall in “Aftermath.” Pay attention to Will. He might be nearsighted, but he’s got great vision for the big picture.

I trolled through the new shiny thread, but didn't see a whole bunch of Ghost Story *tidbits*. They're spoilered here for all to clickity, but fair warning - major teaser spoilers from the author himself lurk within, no joke, real spoilage! :

1. Regarding GS cover art: No glove? Is that significant?
It is accurate. Smiley

2. "What’s the first line of the next book ?" (Ghost Story)
"Living is hard, dying is easy."

3. “I seem to remember at a Q&A a few years ago, you said Tera West would be showing up in Book 13 aka Ghost Story. Is this still happening, or has her character been shuffled down the line a bit due to the change in total number of case file books?”
My first answer is “bump her down a couple.” But on the other hand, it might be interesting to see her again in this book. We’ll see what happens.

4. "Any chance that youre gonna be wacked out enough to tweet some Ghost Story spoilers?"
Why not. Smiley It begins immediately on the heels of Changes. Like the transition from Back to the Future 2 to BttF 3...It's set immediately after "Changes" AND about seven months later. Simultaneously. Wrap your heads around that.

5. “It’s called Ghost Story, where Dresden has to solve his own murder,” he elaborates, “and I think this is the first time I’ve told that to anybody. The brief description is that Dresden gets sent back to solve his own murder and he’s a ghost, so we’ll go on from there.”

6. "Can you give us a teaser for Ghost Story?"
Ghost story is so named because Dresden gets stuck with solving his own murder. He actually gets sent back to handle it, except there's no body available, so he has to do it as a ghost. Dresden has to deal with all the laws of being a supernatural spirit, and a ghost from the other end of the stick. Which I have a really great time with because he's so non-competent at that. One of my favorite bits so far is when he's learning the basic ghost stuff and he's like, "You know, I finally understand why it is that ghosts are always howling and moaning when they appear out of the floor or the wall. Passin through that stuff hurts."

7. "Could you share a little bit of what’s in store for Dresden in Ghost Story?"
In Ghost Story, it’s the 13th book of the series, Harry gets sent back to Chicago as a ghost. He has to solve his own murder, and if he doesn’t there’s going to be horrible consequences to the people he loves. So we get to see Chicago through a slightly different lens as Dresden is coming back as a ghost. Of course the real problem is that as that with 12 books going before him with various bad guys coming to mess around in Chicago, Harry has left a few ghosts around the city himself, and you know they are looking for some payback. It’s kinda like what happens when the cop gets sent to jail.

And last, the blurb review from the Little Brown Book Group; spoilerage warning:

"Harry Dresden has forgotten his own golden rule. Magic - it can get a guy killed. This didn't help when he clashed with parties unknown, with his murder in mind. And though Harry's continued existence is in some doubt, this doesn't mean rest or peace lie in store for Chicago's resident professional wizard. Trapped in a realm that is not quite here, yet not quite anywhere else, Harry learns that three of his loved ones are destined for crippling torment unless he can do something. Only by discovering his assailant's identity can he save his friends, bring criminal elements to justice, and move on before he becomes trapped in his own unending nightmare.

It would be easier if he knew which three friends were in danger. And had a (working) crystal ball. And had access to his magic. Instead, he must accomplish the task unable to interact with the physical world, invisible and inaudible to all but the most specialized magical talents. He is also [far] from the only silent presence roaming Chicago's alleys. Heck, he put some of them there himself. Now, they're looking for payback."

Now, I just gotta sit around and wait for the other short story to get published. "Curses" by Jim Butcher in an Ellen Datlow anthology: Naked City: New Tales of Urban Fantasy.

Has anyone here picked up the Dresden Files RPG? I loved the short story for that one, too. The "AAAA of Wizardry".

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:42 am
Eldest Gruff

Thanks for these interview bits! They seem to go along and even elaborate on the stuff Jim said at NY comic con which MrsLupin posted last week. Great!

Harry Dresden.
Old November 7th, 2010, 7:58 pm
Secret Keeper

If all those ghosts want a piece of him, I wonder if Morgan will be helping him out. And maybe Lash, and maybe he'll have a decent conversation with his parents?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 7th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Eldest Gruff

It's about time Harry gets some form of contact to his parents again, yup. If they and Morgan actually are ghosts, I like this thought very much. Since I first wasn't sure about Jim actually said in his interview - thanks MrsLupin for the help again! - I wonder if there won't be 'helpful ghosts' as well. Not only enemies died or were killed by Harry, friends did too. Can a vanilla like Carmichael become a ghost? What's about Shiro and "see you after"?

So coming from Potterverse I wondered what actually we know by now about the reasons staying at ghosts and how much power they have left (if they more than an 'imprinted soul' or something other authors developed).

We know it's not those only who aren't brave enough to reach the other end but rather these who still have some duty on Earth it seems from the instalment to come. But we also met ghosts who "classically" stayed to harm the living because they were unfairly treated. So I hope we get a better picture on what are the determinates and how dead people actually may have a say in it in Ghost Story. And where their limits will be. From the quoted interview text bits I'm fairly sure I'll like these descriptions when it comes to Harry.

Harry Dresden.
Old November 7th, 2010, 8:48 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
It's about time Harry gets some form of contact to his parents again, yup. If they and Morgan actually are ghosts, I like this thought very much. Since I first wasn't sure about Jim actually said in his interview - thanks MrsLupin for the help again! - I wonder if there won't be 'helpful ghosts' as well. Not only enemies died or were killed by Harry, friends did too. Can a vanilla like Carmichael become a ghost? What's about Shiro and "see you after"?

So coming from Potterverse I wondered what actually we know by now about the reasons staying at ghosts and how much power they have left (if they more than an 'imprinted soul' or something other authors developed).

We know it's not those only who aren't brave enough to reach the other end but rather these who still have some duty on Earth it seems from the instalment to come. But we also met ghosts who "classically" stayed to harm the living because they were unfairly treated. So I hope we get a better picture on what are the determinates and how dead people actually may have a say in it in Ghost Story. And where their limits will be. From the quoted interview text bits I'm fairly sure I'll like these descriptions when it comes to Harry.
Yes, vanilla's can become ghosts. Mortimor the ectomancer that appeared in several books, he says in Dead Beat that he knew/knows Collin Murphy, Karrin Murphy's dad - who used to work for SI when it was known as Precinct 13, the Black Cats division. Collin supposedly suicided by eating his gun but like the death of Harry's father, Malcolm, something wasn't quite right with Collin's death either.

As for their power, well, it's limited too. Again, back to Dead Beat - they talked with Mortimor and managed to manipulate some air molecules with a fine mist of spritzed ink over a map, indicating where necromantic energy was in Chicago.

But - Leonid Kravos, evil warlock who killed himself in police custody {Grave Peril} - that dude, with some 'outside' help that is, managed to finagle the Nightmare and attack people in their dreams. Knowing how many living people wanted Harry dead, and how many ghost that wanted the same thing, it will be fairly interesting to see who/what get's tapped.

Since Malcolm's death was suspicious, it's possible that he might get to see/speak to Harry. Which would be cool, though the character would be limited in what he could say, I'm thinking.

I think that in the Dresdenverse, the one's who stick around are either forced to do so - as Bianca did Rachel's spirit; they died before what they needed to get done was complete - as Harry chose to do to fight off Kravos in Grave Peril, once the ghost does what it's intended to do, it moves on...and then there's Kravos, he seemingly like Harry - chose to die in order to exact revenge. But the ghost was utterly destroyed by Harry.

That's something that Potterverse doesn't have. The killing of ethereal beings. Though I do wonder if say, Nick were to pass through the Veil in the DoM, would he pass on to limbo and be able to make another choice or are the ghosts truly stuck here forever?

From what I remember, Morty makes small but impactful appearances in Grave Peril, Death Masks, Dead Beat; while Malcolm Dresden appears to Harry in Blood Rites.

You know what I really wonder following Changes, is if Susan saw her own death at Harry's hands, years beforehand, when she soulgazed him and fainted as a result.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy