Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Discworld Series

Old November 3rd, 2008, 5:02 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Discworld Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
I hope you enjoy reading The Light Fantastic!
I found the story interesting and enjoyable, but as it was terribly written (by the translator, I think and hope) I didn't like it too much. But in the next books they had a new translator, and he was much better. Right now I am on Discworld book number 8, Guards! Guards!, which I like very much. I have not picked a favourite yet (I have read number 2, 3, 4 and 7, I don't remember the English names), but I have three more of books I must hurry to read, or the library will start to complain... But I think I will enjoy them, so the fact that I have to hurry doesn't bother me!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2008, 5:10 pm
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Light Fantastic was not among Pratchett's best - even he admits it is almost entirely without a plot. I love all the books featuring the Night Watch

Old November 3rd, 2008, 5:20 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Yeah, books after the first couple are better. Ohhh, I liked reading Guards! Guards! too!

Old October 17th, 2009, 12:30 am
Knower of things

This glorious thread was miles down the list! Unacceptable!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has read the new Pratchett "Unseen Academicals" ? I finished it last week and I have to say I enjoyed it even if it was sadly lacking in Vimes

I like that Pratchett manages to make fresh books and scenarios in what's a fairly familiar setting of Ankh Morpork and discworld in general. The well loved characters are there but less familiar ones and indeed plenty of new ones are introduced too.

Old October 17th, 2009, 8:47 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Read it and enjoyed it - it was sadly lacking most of the watch imo. But on the other hand Veterinari was great as usual.

Old October 25th, 2009, 12:10 pm
Knower of things

I love Vetinari. Having a little Lady Margalotta in it too was a nice touch. I do miss the watch books. I'm hoping we'll have one again. Fingers and toes crossed.

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:04 am
Sixth Year

In year 9, our English teacher made Sourcery one of our prescribed texts. I disliked it at first but as the story went on I thought it was quite clever and funny. I really like Rincewind as a protagonist, he's such an unconventional hero, a wizard that ends up using a sock and half a brick as a weapon rather than magic . Death is awesome too, I don't know why I find it so funny that he speaks in capital letters but I do. Since then I've bought The Colour of Magic, Thief of Time and Going Postal, it's only a matter of finding the time to read them.

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."

Last edited by AmeliaPotter; October 26th, 2009 at 11:07 am.
Old October 26th, 2009, 1:25 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle
I'm just wondering if anyone else has read the new Pratchett "Unseen Academicals" ? I finished it last week and I have to say I enjoyed it even if it was sadly lacking in Vimes
I'm just reading this book now and thoroughly enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPotter View Post
In year 9, our English teacher made Sourcery one of our prescribed texts. I disliked it at first but as the story went on I thought it was quite clever and funny. I really like Rincewind as a protagonist, he's such an unconventional hero, a wizard that ends up using a sock and half a brick as a weapon rather than magic . Death is awesome too, I don't know why I find it so funny that he speaks in capital letters but I do. Since then I've bought The Colour of Magic, Thief of Time and Going Postal, it's only a matter of finding the time to read them.
Glad you're enjoying stories! I adore the Discworld Death and Granny Weatherwax is brilliant, too. If you're interested in reading more Death centric stories you could try the Death Trilogy: Mort, Reaper Man and Soul Music. Also, Hogfather is fantastic.

Old October 26th, 2009, 9:44 pm
Knower of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPotter View Post
I wish my teacher set some Pratchett as one of our texts in school that's pretty awesome. I like Rincewind - you'll probably enjoy The Last Continent - I think it's one of the better Rincewind themed books.

Old November 20th, 2009, 2:14 am
Suteki da ne

My favourite character is Death. I think he's so funny. And Susan, his granddaughter, she's great too

I'm about halfway through Thief of Time, but I keep putting it down and reading something else

If you change your mind
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:00 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

I really liked the recent addition, Unseen Academicals, to the Discworld novels. A delightful selection of characters, both old and the newly introduced. The extra glimpse into the workings of Lord Vetinari's mind was excellent.

Old March 28th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Knower of things

Maybe I need to reread it but I wasn't that taken with the main characters at all, the supporting cast and what was going on there was far superior. I seem to be in the minority though

Old May 9th, 2010, 3:08 am
Fourth Year

I really liked the charachter of Rincewind, but I absolutley hated the authors style of writing! It is awful IMO!!

Old June 11th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post

I bought it. But right now I haven't enough time to read it. Just took a glimpse of it - there is no Vimes, but still some good portion of Vetinari.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:29 pm
Knower of things

I'm going to assume this is a no but I've to ask if anyone else has read Terry Pratchett's latest - "When I'm old I shall wear Midnight" ? I read it recently and enjoyed it very much, definitely more than unseen academicals which I don't think worked too well. It's one of the Tiffany Aching ones but compared with the other ones, I would think that this one has more adult themes.

I'd love to know if anyone else has read it and what they thought of it? I'm still holding out for another watch one though soon. Here's hoping!

Old November 27th, 2010, 9:20 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
I'd love to know if anyone else has read it and what they thought of it? I'm still holding out for another watch one though soon. Here's hoping!
I've read a recent Tiffany Aching centric novel called I Shall Wear Midnight. I liked it. The themes Tiffany faces require a mature understanding, guidance and action from her; definitely a toil with choices and responsibility that could test adults to the fullest. There's a great sentimental touch, and a bright future hope that left me smiling at the end. The villain, The Cunning Man's corruption is creepy.

Last edited by Annielogic; November 27th, 2010 at 9:24 pm. Reason: typo
Old December 19th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Knower of things

the villain of the piece alright was quite creepy which I guess is at least the sign of good writing if nothing else. I completely agree, the themes were definitely more mature and there was a lot of growing up by Tiffany more so than in the other books I thought. I love how she brings together the best of the rest of the witches - she's definitely a blend of Magrat, Granny and Nanny - all the best ones and she'll just keep learning as she grows.

I'm looking forward to a couple of more discworld books - like I said I'm still holding out for a good watch one - something with lots of Vimes. I wonder if we'll ever get to see that Carrot is the heir to the throne of Ankh or if he'll ever acknowledge it.

Old December 19th, 2010, 10:37 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
I love how she brings together the best of the rest of the witches - she's definitely a blend of Magrat, Granny and Nanny - all the best ones and she'll just keep learning as she grows.
Totally agree.

Quote:
I wonder if we'll ever get to see that Carrot is the heir to the throne of Ankh or if he'll ever acknowledge it.
An interesting thought. At present, Carrot seems content in his job and lifestyle in The Watch, even choosing to hide evidence of his royal heritage (iirc). I guess if something should happen to Vetinari, an assassination attempt not foiled, Carrot might feel obligated to step up. Yet, I find Vetinari a fascinating character, so it would probably be a shame to lose him.

Last edited by Annielogic; December 20th, 2010 at 12:33 pm. Reason: To clarify
Old December 20th, 2010, 9:22 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Quote:
I'm looking forward to a couple of more discworld books - like I said I'm still holding out for a good watch one - something with lots of Vimes. I wonder if we'll ever get to see that Carrot is the heir to the throne of Ankh or if he'll ever acknowledge it.
I thought Vetinari acknowledged Carrot as heir when he showed him behind the throne (nothing but rotten wood under gold leaf) Carrot talked about Policeman coming from polis (people) which as Vetinari pointed out was also the root of politician.

I want to see the Carrot Angua relationship clarified (the patter of tiny paws?)

I certainly hope for more books

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:02 am
Knower of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
Totally agree.

An interesting thought. At present, Carrot seems content in his job and lifestyle in The Watch, even choosing to hide evidence of his royal heritage (iirc). I guess if something should happen to Vetinari, an assassination attempt not foiled, Carrot might feel obligated to step up. Yet, I find Vetinari a fascinating character, so it would probably be a shame to lose him.
Vetinari is my favourite character - I particularly love the scenes with him and Leonard of Quirim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc"
I thought Vetinari acknowledged Carrot as heir when he showed him behind the throne (nothing but rotten wood under gold leaf) Carrot talked about Policeman coming from polis (people) which as Vetinari pointed out was also the root of politician.
This is true, I think it was kind of half skirted around it though, for the most part Carrot blithely just seems to ignore thing and carry on as a tall dwarf seemingly ignoring what everyone else knows! I think I would like the issue more forced, I know it's a bit of an open secret but I'd like to see it more acknowledged maybe.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy