Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Discworld Series

Old September 6th, 2008, 3:09 am
First Year

Discworld Series

Alright well I didn't see a thread on this so I decided to make one. I haven't actually read the books yet and I know that sounds stupid but the thing which got me hooked was watch the movie "The Hogfather" and then searching it all up on Wiki and such. I really really really loved that movie and the information I acquired from Wiki made me really interested. Hope this brings up discussion as I don't want this to be a dead thread!

go 'claws!
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2008, 5:59 am
Qvack...

Re: Discworld Series

Discworld. Where to begin with Discworld. Though my favourite book remains the Colour of Magic, I adore Terry Pratchett for his immense imagination and limitless fantastical thinking. I've never seen the movies (on tv) though. Are they any good?

Incidentally, I would highly recommend the books. They're a great mix of comedy and fantasy, and so well worth investing in. Normally, there are lots of them in second hand shops. Well worth a look at.

THE DUCK.

Old September 6th, 2008, 9:36 am
Hogwarts Graduate

One of the most brilliant series of all time, I love anything involving Granny Weatherwax or Death.

If you're starting out in Discworld, I'd recommend The Colour of Magic (though the beauty of the series is that you don't have to read them all in order). Hogfather is fantastic, as are Thief of Time, Mort, Wyrd Sisters, Lords and Ladies, and Carpe Jugulum.

Old September 6th, 2008, 8:12 pm
Qvack...

I love the fact that you can start anywhere, read randomly and just live with it.

And they never get worse. I adore that idea too. It's consistent, it's humorous, and it's very very well described. I just adore the characters, the details...

Yum.

THE DUCK.

Old September 6th, 2008, 9:11 pm
First Year

Ahaha, awesome! Thanks for the recommendations. Next time I'm book shopping, I'll be sure to browse for any Discworld books.

Quote:
Are they any good?
There's only one so far and it was amazing. One of the best fantasy movies I've seen yet.

go 'claws!
Old September 6th, 2008, 9:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I love the fact that you can start anywhere, read randomly and just live with it.
Yes! And you can actually just roll with a single story track at a time (the Witches, Death, Rincewind, Sam Vines, you pick) and not miss out on anything. And the Nac Mac Feegle are an absolute must-read, they're among the funniest.

Old September 7th, 2008, 1:32 am
Qvack...

Oh, I so need to go back to them! I love all of those things about the series. I think it's impossibly upsetting that Pratchett has been diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's. I'm not sure if you knew that, but in typical Pratchett form, he took it with immense grace.

Quote:
On 11 December 2007, Pratchett posted online that he had been newly diagnosed with a very rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's disease, which he said "lay behind this year's phantom 'stroke'." He has a rare form of the disease called posterior cortical atrophy, in which areas at the back of the brain begin to shrink and shrivel. Pratchett appealed to people to "keep things cheerful", and proclaimed that "we are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism." Leading the way, Pratchett stated that he feels he has time for "at least a few more books yet", and added that while he understands the impulse to ask 'is there anything I can do?', in this particular case he will only entertain such offers from "very high-end experts in brain chemistry."Discussing his diagnosis at the Bath Literature Festival, Pratchett revealed that he now found it too difficult to write dedications when signing books.

THE DUCK.

Old September 13th, 2008, 5:21 pm
First Year

Oh my god! No way! Aw man, that really sucks for Pratchett. I wonder if he'll get more books out? That would be pretty cool but he should rest his brain at least a little bit. Well I hope those people who are good with brains and whatever work their magic because I think he should live much, much longer.

Anyways, my librarian, Ms. Bird, at my school said she was going to go get some Terry Pratchett books from Chapters because she gets some sort of discount there because she's a librarian. I asked her specifically if she could get the book called Discworld, that is all about the history of Discworld. Have any of you read it?

go 'claws!
Old September 13th, 2008, 5:43 pm
Qvack...

I've not read it, no. It's one of those books that every time I walk into town, I say "I'll get that today." But I never do, cos usually when lunch is done I'm low on funds... But I will get to it one of these days! I hae nobody to borrow Discworld from, you see, because nobody I know likes them!

As for Pratchett, he's determined to get more books out, so I wish him all the very best in doing so.

THE DUCK.

Old September 15th, 2008, 1:00 am
First Year

Quote:
It's one of those books that every time I walk into town, I say "I'll get that today." But I never do, cos usually when lunch is done I'm low on funds...
I do that all the time. It's like "I'm going to get it." when I go to chapters Then l'll find a better book and be like, "Oh darn, which one?" and I usually pick the other one.

Quote:
I hae nobody to borrow Discworld from, you see, because nobody I know likes them!
I know! Only my brother has the books but he's barely over anymore and I don't know his number so I can't borrow them. Hopefully my librarian gets some and maybe he'll visit soon.

I, of course, wish Pratchett the best of luck with his books also. I believe he's very capable of making it for at least three or four books.

go 'claws!
Old September 15th, 2008, 4:43 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen_hpffl View Post
I do that all the time. It's like "I'm going to get it." when I go to chapters Then l'll find a better book and be like, "Oh darn, which one?" and I usually pick the other one.
Tell me about it! Trying to pick one out expressly is a nightmare! my trick was to read them chronologically. But then people bought me them as presents and I started reading those before I had "filled the gaps" as it were... Gah! But it all works out fine!

Quote:
I, of course, wish Pratchett the best of luck with his books also. I believe he's very capable of making it for at least three or four books.
I believe he believes so too, and I'm just as faithful in him. He's a strong guy. And he's running lots of fundraisers. He looked into research regarding a cure for him, and discovered it was nothing compared to cancer research, which, as he said, is wonderful, but doesn't really help him or many thousands of others in his situation at this time, so he donated more to his own cause, which I admire. It's helping others too, after all.

THE DUCK.

Old September 19th, 2008, 12:47 am
First Year

Quote:
Tell me about it! Trying to pick one out expressly is a nightmare! my trick was to read them chronologically. But then people bought me them as presents and I started reading those before I had "filled the gaps" as it were... Gah! But it all works out fine!
Yes, and it normally does work out fine but still, it's quite annoying when it doesn't.

Quote:
I believe he believes so too, and I'm just as faithful in him. He's a strong guy. And he's running lots of fundraisers. He looked into research regarding a cure for him, and discovered it was nothing compared to cancer research, which, as he said, is wonderful, but doesn't really help him or many thousands of others in his situation at this time, so he donated more to his own cause, which I admire. It's helping others too, after all.
Wow, I never knew one man could be so amazing like that. I am truly inspired by him and maybe I could start a cause or fundraiser at my school for that posterior cortical atrophy disease.

go 'claws!
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:59 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Yes, and it normally does work out fine but still, it's quite annoying when it doesn't.
Tell me about it, it annoyed me when I got so far and then got confused!

Quote:
Wow, I never knew one man could be so amazing like that. I am truly inspired by him and maybe I could start a cause or fundraiser at my school for that posterior cortical atrophy disease.
It's a good idea. I hope you do try! I ran fundraisers in school for loads of things every year, there's nothing better than trying to help others!

THE DUCK.

Old September 19th, 2008, 1:26 am
First Year

Quote:
It's a good idea. I hope you do try! I ran fundraisers in school for loads of things every year, there's nothing better than trying to help others!
I probably have to do research so my suggestion is more legit but that doesn't bother me because I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to studying or research and stuff like that.

go 'claws!
Old September 19th, 2008, 1:44 am
Qvack...

Quote:
I probably have to do research so my suggestion is more legit but that doesn't bother me because I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to studying or research and stuff like that.
Best way to be. And always nice to help someone like Pratchett, who was such a dream of a man. He brought fantasy and comedy together and made an entirely new genre out of it. I loved that.

THE DUCK.

Old September 19th, 2008, 11:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Best way to be. And always nice to help someone like Pratchett, who was such a dream of a man. He brought fantasy and comedy together and made an entirely new genre out of it. I loved that.
Aha, yeah. I love the comedy part about the fantasy.

go 'claws!
Old September 20th, 2008, 2:50 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Aha, yeah. I love the comedy part about the fantasy.
I know. And I really do believe that he was the first to do that. Just so random. It's like, limitless fantasy that works. I was really surprised when people were giving them to me and saying "They're funny fantasy". It sounds absurd, and I thought maybe it was weird funny as opposed to ha ha funny, if you get me, but they actually made me splutter and snort quite often.

Never, ever, for reading on public transport...

THE DUCK.

Old September 21st, 2008, 3:56 am
First Year

Quote:
I know. And I really do believe that he was the first to do that. Just so random. It's like, limitless fantasy that works. I was really surprised when people were giving them to me and saying "They're funny fantasy". It sounds absurd, and I thought maybe it was weird funny as opposed to ha ha funny, if you get me, but they actually made me splutter and snort quite often.
Yup, I thought my brother was nuts when he said they were funny fantasy. I, too, thought it was weird funny but it turned out to be ha ha funny, just like you said.

Quote:
Never, ever, for reading on public transport...
LOL, no way. Or for in class during 'Silent Reading'.

go 'claws!
Old September 21st, 2008, 4:01 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Yup, I thought my brother was nuts when he said they were funny fantasy. I, too, thought it was weird funny but it turned out to be ha ha funny, just like you said.
I'll never forget reading The Colour of Magic. I really didn't see how it would be funny, I thought it was just random. But when I started laughing out loud I was seriously impressed. It's not everyday that something entirely non existent makes you laugh, even a little bit!

Quote:
LOL, no way. Or for in class during 'Silent Reading'.
I read one of them on a subway in Vienna. Not a word of German in me, and total strangers looking as me as though I had lost my mind. My friends edged further and further away... So worth it though..

Incidentally, if you like these, you should totally check out Walter Moers. He writes wonderfully illustrated books that are just as funny and even more random, if that were possible!

THE DUCK.

Last edited by vampiricduck; September 21st, 2008 at 3:58 pm.
Old September 21st, 2008, 6:49 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Except he didn't. Fantasy and humour had long been combined.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy