Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Tamora Pierce Books

Old July 22nd, 2008, 6:56 am
Fourth Year

Tamora Pierce Books

Are there any fans of Tamora Pierce? She's written some great fantasy novels, including the "Lioness" series and several others about the same world. What are your favorites? What do you like most about her stories, characters, and worlds?

My favorite of her books would have to be the "Trickster" books. They're so wonderfully written and always keep you on the edge of your seat.
I think what I like most is that her stories are always entertaining, and easy to follow. Her characters are always believable, even though they live in these fantasy worlds. I also LOVE that her characters are all females who don't wait to get rescued by some prince or another, but they do what they need for themselves.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2008, 1:34 am
I want to believe

Re: Tamora Pierce Books

I've actually read the Lioness series. I thought it was alright, not one of my favorites though - I didn't really really like how it ended. I thought about getting the books about Alanna's children, but decided not to at this time.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old July 27th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm glad to see that the Tamora Pierce thread has been reborn.

I'm a fan. I most enjoy the Tortall universe and my favorites are probably the Protector of the Small and Beka Cooper series. I liked the Lioness Quartet, and find Alanna an enjoyable character, but I lost a little respect for her in the Opening of Trickster's Choice--I hadn't thought that she'd be a snob--particularly since she loves and respects George so much (or appeared to in previous series).

Daine is a great character and I love the romance between Daine and Numair--I think it's the most fully realized relationship with the best grounding (thus far) in the Tortall universe. I connected more with Kel's self-reliance and quiet strength, though. Beka's a lot of fun and her view of the world is quite interesting--and her relationship with Pounce is a nice contrast/comaprison to the "later" relationship between Alanna and Faithful (same cat, different name). I've been waiting impatiently for Bloodhound and Elkhound to be released and I'm a little disappointed that Bloodhound will be comapratively short. I'm also a little disappointed that Kel doesn't have the promise of a strong lasting relationship when we leave her narrative--and that the war with Scanra is unresolved. I would think Maggur Rathusak would be too much of a threat to ignore completely.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old July 28th, 2008, 4:37 am
Fourth Year

I liked Tarrier too...I love that she's created such great histories for her lands and characters, and that she's sharing them with us

I haven't read the Kel books in awhile, I need to go back

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old July 30th, 2008, 3:46 am
Curse Breaker

I find Kel is probably the heroine I enjoy and admire most (although Daine is a close second on the admiration scale). I like Beka almost as much as Kel, and I understand her flexible morals are a product of her times and her situation, but I like the quiet peerlessness of Keladry of Mindelain and New Hope.

Old July 31st, 2008, 6:14 am
Second Year

I wasn't really impressed with the Trickster series, it actually struck me as being quite dull once I had finished it and thought back to everything I just read. I loved all her other books though, my favorite series of hers is the Circle of Magic - it was so thrilling to read about all the different forms of magic each of the kids had, and their own tales of the places they traveled to and how they grew as people. I also liked the series about Daine and the Protector of the Small series, which I actually read first. What's great about all her series, though they connect in many ways, they can be read in any order and you'll still catch the little nods that one series will give to a character from another.
I need to go back and re-read, I think I finished all her books back in 6th or 7th grade.

Old July 31st, 2008, 8:12 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameow View Post
I wasn't really impressed with the Trickster series, it actually struck me as being quite dull once I had finished it and thought back to everything I just read. I loved all her other books though, my favorite series of hers is the Circle of Magic - it was so thrilling to read about all the different forms of magic each of the kids had, and their own tales of the places they traveled to and how they grew as people. I also liked the series about Daine and the Protector of the Small series, which I actually read first. What's great about all her series, though they connect in many ways, they can be read in any order and you'll still catch the little nods that one series will give to a character from another.
I need to go back and re-read, I think I finished all her books back in 6th or 7th grade.
Really? I never really got into Circle of Magic...I read the first 4 books once each, but I never got into the "Circle Opens" ones...
But everyone's entitled to their own opinion...I personally like the mystery in the Trickster series that doesn't really come through in the the other books...except possibly "Terrier."

Old August 3rd, 2008, 5:55 pm
Curse Breaker

I prefer her Tortall stories, myself. I think Trickster's is a little jarring because it goes off in a direction that you're not expecting almost immediately. It's about Alianne finding her place in the world, but it's also about freedom for the islands formerly known as the Copper Isles and home rule for the first time in what, 300 years, for them? That's a little surprising when there's already a major war going on between the two major powers of the Northern Continent.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 8:45 pm
First Year

I really haven't read any Tamora Pierce books that I haven't like, including Trickster, Circle of Magic, and the Alanna the Lioness ones. I also like Terrier. They're pretty different from other types of magic books and I guess that's why I like them.

God preserve my sanity, for to this I am reduced- Jonathan Harker, Dracula

I reject your reality and substitute my own- Adam, Mythbusters

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday,put this in your sig.
Old August 12th, 2008, 4:09 pm
Curse Breaker

They're more about growing up and accepting adult responsibility. She's very good at them and her heroines--while all likeable to an extent, are distinct from one another, something for just about every taste.

Old January 21st, 2009, 1:33 am
Fourth Year

I began my series with Circle of Magic and Circle Opens. That's what first got me into her series. I liked how she wrote those. Another one I liked was The Trickster series. It was interesting, I kind of wished that it was more than just those 2 books though.

Beka Cooper series is one of my recent favorites as well. I love the mystery of it. Though I didn't like the Immortal series too much or the Lioness series. I couldn't get into that one, so I didn't bother reading past book 1 actually.

The Will of the Empress series, I wasn't too fond of either. But I liked it enough that I'm going to continue reading that series.

Xauror-Slytherin_Alchamist09

Inspired Quill Ellion Tavian

House of Night Academy - There is a plot please read that first.

Play and Feed a Hungry Person -all seriousness...test your vocabulary skills 20 grains of rice per right question
Old January 21st, 2009, 4:10 am
Second Year

I have never read a Tamora Pierce book, but really want to. There are so many, though, and I'm really confused as where to start. Is there a certain order you have to read them in?

- Walt Disney

~~
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:54 am
Curse Breaker

See I love Immortals and Protector of the Small and can barely stomach the Trickster pair. To each, his or her own. I really like the Beka Cooper series and was spitting mad that Bloodhound got delayed 18 months--but it expanded to 560 pages and is due out at the end of April.

Old April 15th, 2009, 4:28 pm
Curse Breaker

It's here! It's here! Bloodhound is out! And I'm thoroughly enjoying my second Guardswoman Cooper adventure.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 6:55 am
Fourth Year

I read her Page, Squire etc series when I was younger and remember loving them to death. I wonder if i'm too old for her books now (19)

Old April 23rd, 2009, 3:52 pm
Curse Breaker

I don't think so. I didn't discover them until after my teens. Robin McKinley somehow heard the same rap. Supposedly, her audience would outgrow her work and she'd have to evolve or try a different sort of writing. Her style has matured in the nearly 30 years since her first publication, but her early work still appeals to her first fans, now well into adulthood. Same with Tamora Pierce. In fact, I like Beka and Kel better than Alanna or Alianne.

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:03 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene Sedai View Post
I read her Page, Squire etc series when I was younger and remember loving them to death. I wonder if i'm too old for her books now (19)
You're definitely not too old. The books address so many themes about growing up, and often the women in the books are around our age (I'm 19 as well), and the things they have to deal with.

I read Bloodhound when it came out, all in one read almost (had to stop and go to dinner with aunt and uncle ), and I LOVED it. I think I liked it better than Terrier even. Beka's very different from Aly or Allanna or Kel (I haven't read the Kel books in awhile, but I reread the Aly ones and Terrier right before Bloodhound came out), and I appreciate the difference. She kind of appeals to me more because I have had to deal with the shy factor my whole life, so I can identify with her on that level. The rest of her heroines, while AWESOME, don't have that same level of connection for me.

Old June 12th, 2009, 8:30 pm
Curse Breaker

Kel almost seems too idealized. It's as if--well, Kel would be the kind of distaff that Beka would appreciate, maybe idolize more than even Lady Sabine. She believes that her position of privilege exists so she can protect, serve and aid those less fortunate than she is. She has an iron will and a firm concept of right and wrong. Of course, Beka's used to seeing the bent side of just about everyone--she might not believe Kel was for real.

Question: Does "Pounce" seem closer to Beka than "Faithful" was to Alanna? Perhaps caution due to prior experience tempering tools of the Goddess?

Can anyone think of a parallel to the Eastern and Southern Black God in other literature or religions? Usually the Lord of the Dead is imposing, aloof, stern, scary or ambitious. Sometimes downright evil. He seems to be the most sympathetic of all Tortallan deities and the one with the longest fuse. What's more, he's a doting father. Look at what he lets the Graveyard Hag get away with in Carthak.

Last edited by jordmundt6; July 29th, 2010 at 3:48 pm.
Old September 14th, 2010, 4:07 am
Curse Breaker

Okay, it's been a year and no one is biting. I'm still troubled by a lot of the questions I had when I made my last post and took the trouble of sending a few e-mails to Pierce's new fanmail inbox. I hope she has time in the next few months to answer some of them.

I'm a little flummoxed by Beka and Dale. It was an interesting change from a lot of the relationships we see in the Tortallverse, one of the few that seemed purely based on lust and fun--even Alanna's fling with Liam started and ended on firmer ground. A lot of our expectations from other series have been challenged or subverted in these last two books. Sir Lionel--clearly being of Alanna's bloodline with his physical characteristics and magic color, turned out to be much more of a frightened lamb than I would have thought possible. I originally thought this reflected more the fragility of Lord Alan, but since Alanna is related to this joker through her mother and not her father, it feels less explicable. Hanse Remy was like a fractured mirror of Sir Myles if he'd lost all hope. That was quite jarring. I still have no idea who Beka will eventually couple with (for a short time). Rosto and Ersken have rather loudly announced their candidacies, but I can't see Ersken not marrying Beka or at least claiming a son unless he was killed on duty. Rosto runs his Rogueship rather like George but he doesn't share any physical characteristics with George or Eleni Cooper. With the new excerpt from Mastiff out, I wonder about a romance with Farmer Cape resulting in his deeath on the hunt for the Prince (rather like Liam's death in the struggle for Tortall). I'm also wondering who Beka's long-term partner will be since Tunstall is in his late 40s and has been at the work even longer than Clary (and it's catching up to him). Beka couldn't spend a decade with him as her partner, after Goodwin moved up to Sergeant. The Queen seems in many respects to be the polar opposite of Thayet. Thayet got royally decked out for state occasions and the Grand Progress, but was most at home in the saddle wearing breaches and carrying a bow and a quiver of arrows. She worked for a living, just as her husband did, just as their Champion does, and she is imposing, beautiful, and STRONG even without ornament or accent. The new queen in Beka's time is Barzuni (I can't remember if she's merchant or noble) and she seems to love and rely on ornament, even in summer retirement. However, she cares much more for her children than for the costly trappings of her office (which is a huge plus in her favor). On the other side, major trauma seems to unhinge her.

Old January 6th, 2011, 1:07 pm
Sixth Year

I've only read the first of the Beka Cooper series (must check on amazon and order the second book)!
Been a big Tamora Pierce fans for years, as the name perhaps gives away. (insert blush.)

Started off with the Alanna series. The best series in my opinion was Tricksters Choice/Queen - love those two books.

Petition to be Allowed a Picture of The Sport My Dad Loved on his Churchyard Memorial (Speedway) - Signatures Appreciated
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy