Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Old April 1st, 2010, 6:48 am
Sixth Year

Re: The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

I think it is a fantastic series. Jordan has created a really believable, realistic world that makes complete sense within its context. I never got the sense that anything felt out of place, or contrived, but that everything in the series belonged there. That's not easy, and it makes for a world that I would really like to go sight-seeing in, especially Tar Valon. Add the detail, and some really engaging characters and you've got, in my opinion, one of the best series ever written. And Mat. Who doesn't like Mat? Or Ny neave?

And, any thoughts on Sanderson's style?

And weighing in on the Tolkien issue, I qoute:
"With the Wheel of Time, Jordan has come to dominate the world Tolkien began to reveal." New York Times
Is Jordan better? No. Is he worse? No. Rather, both have set the standard for what a good fantasy should be, and for that we should thank them.

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil View Post
You know what Mid I've had enough you wont listen and so I will leave and you beloved unoriginal Jordan to yourself

BTW Authors ripping off Tolkien should be a shooting offense and if it where only a few authors would still be alive (Which IMO wouldn't be such a bad thing)

Ahhh (sad face) you just had to leave when it was getting fun.

Your inability to see that someone using tolkiens ideas is actually a compliment to the author is highly amusing.

Anyway just wanted to say that

Thanks,
Wraith

Old July 26th, 2010, 1:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Why do you hate the female characters? Bear in mind that society is still currently a matriarchal one. Women rule, at least at first. That's why book 6 (Lord of Chaos) hit such a nerve at the ending.
After countless pages of braid-tugging and dress-twitching and pointless sniping..

There are only a few women in Jordan's world I actually enjoy reading. First there is Min. In a way, Min's and Rand's relationship is very much like that of Aragorn's and Arwen's. Although Min isn't very "in your face". She is a pillar for Rand. She is what keeps Rand mentally stable enough to keep his will strong in its purpose. Arwen—not movie Arwen, she was butchered by Jackson—is much the same. She is vitally important to Aragorn.. but in the actual book this is only seen through her effects on Aragorn. Out of the three of Rand's lovers, Min is the only one I could seriously picture him settling down with. Pre-destination is quite evident in Randland.. and although Min herself was predestined to love Rand she seems to actually take that love to heart where as Elyane and Aviendha.. well they're simply there because the Pattern demands it. I never get the feeling that their love is there. Their "love" for him seems to be nothing but a product of the necessities of the Pattern.

I also grew to love Nynaeve's character. She still has a few.. bumps.. to her, but these make her Nynaeve ! She views Rand in much the same way as Min. She sees him as a man and not as a tool.

But, really, I was wrong to say I hate Jordan's women. What I rightly should have said is that I loathe the Aes Sedai. The day-to-day village woman, and even lady of the land, are fine enough.. it's just a hatred of the Aes Sedai that boils out sometimes !

But then, I am biased in almost every way. First, I am a man ! And second, if I lived in the world of the Wheel of Time, I would side with Ishamael. Simply because he's probably one of the greatest villians in fantasy !

Quote:
Spoiler: show
Women never bowed to any man, until that ending,
"I said you would be on equal footing with the Tower emissaries, and for bringing nine, you will be. They are on their knees, Aes Sedai. Kneel!
Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt."
I loved that scene. Just the sheer power of it, to watch the Aes Sedai in all their arrogance kneel to the Lord Dragon.. !

Regards,
M.

Old July 26th, 2010, 9:43 pm
Seventh Year

I'm about to read the third novel of this series, Dragon Reborn. I enjoyed the first two novels, but it took so long for Rand to finally realize who is was. It was a little annoying at times.

Overall, a good series so far, and I hear it's about 13 novels long. Yes?

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:08 pm
Third Year

I just saw on Amazon the cover for the new book. Exciting.

I will come back later and read this thread and expound on some theories/ideas.

Tibbetts- Dragon Reborn is when all sorts of fun things start happening and Mat gets a lot more interesting.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:30 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Tibbetts- Dragon Reborn is when all sorts of fun things start happening and Mat gets a lot more interesting.
Yeah, that's what others have been telling me. I'm anxious to buy #3, but I have to wait until Friday for some money to do just that.

Good news about Mat. I've been wondering what his purpose was. That dagger he grabbed seems to have caused him a bit of trouble.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old July 27th, 2010, 3:53 am
Third Year

Quote:
Good news about Mat. I've been wondering what his purpose was. That dagger he grabbed seems to have caused him a bit of trouble.
He is by far my favorite character. Well after he gets over being annoying that is.

Old July 27th, 2010, 3:53 pm
Seventh Year

So far, none are really my "favorite". I'm hoping that changes as I read the 3rd novel.

-Tibbetts

Old July 27th, 2010, 4:19 pm
Member of the Order

I kinda envy you. You have plenty of reading to do.

You'll be asquee when you finish the 6th book.

I got so into it I was almost yelling as I read the last chapter.

"Damn! That was awesome!"

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old July 27th, 2010, 5:03 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:

One of my friends, who actually convinced me to start reading this series, said that by book 7-ish it became stale, but then picked up again later. Is that true? Or did you enjoy it straight through?

-Tibbetts

Old July 27th, 2010, 5:42 pm
Third Year

Quote:

I agree with you Midsnight Fire.

Quote:
posted by Tibetts One of my friends, who actually convinced me to start reading this series, said that by book 7-ish it became stale, but then picked up again later. Is that true? Or did you enjoy it straight through?
I found when I read (and reread each time a new book came out) that books 1&2 were hard to get into. Then 3-6 were awesome. 7 & 8 rather boring. 9 got things moving again. But 10 and 11 were slow. Now 12, was so great I read it twice. Lots of action.

Old July 28th, 2010, 1:44 am
Seventh Year

Looking forward to it, then. I'm only on 3 though. So I have another 9 months of reading ahead of me.

-Tibbetts

Old July 28th, 2010, 3:26 am
Third Year

At least you're reading them at a point where you won't have too long of wait between the books. When I started 1-8 were all out in paperback, so my friend loaned them too me. I was also in the summer before and my last semester of college when I read them. Book 9 came out that year and so I was able to go straight from 8 to 9. THen had to wait and wait for 10. 11 came out during midterm week of graduate school. (I took a 4 year break between college and graduate school) So I couldn't have Knife of Dreams in my apartment. I handed it off to my friend and told him keep it for a week, I need to study. Then waited some more for Gathering Storm.

Old July 28th, 2010, 5:55 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbetts View Post
One of my friends, who actually convinced me to start reading this series, said that by book 7-ish it became stale, but then picked up again later. Is that true? Or did you enjoy it straight through?
Book 6 was a high point and hard to top.

Things kind of slowed down, and I know many that were disappointed with books 9 and 10. However, everyone was absolutely dismayed and devastated when Robert Jordan passed away after book 11.
But everyone was shamelessly cheered when the news came out that the series would be finished by coauthor Brandon Sanderson. (No shame whatsoever I tell you!) And book 12 came out and was read with a degree of relief. (Didn't diverge at all from Jordan's writing style, and was definitely a good read). Now we just have to wait for books 13 and 14, which will end the series.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:40 pm
I want to believe

I recently started reading this series - I'm at the beginning of book 3 at the moment. So far I'm enjoying it. The storyline is unique, but it's interesting to find elements that are similar to things in other books, such as Lord of the Rings and The Sword of Truth series. I didn't realize that there were so many books to this series though - guess I have a lot of reading ahead of me.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old July 28th, 2010, 2:46 pm
Third Year

It's funny but when I recommend the series to friends, I usually tell them that not much (really ) happens in books 1 & 2 so to start with 3.

Old July 28th, 2010, 3:06 pm
Member of the Order

To me...book 1 was a good introduction to the world and our main heroes. And I enjoyed book 2 on its own merits. When I finished book 3 I was disgusted when I realized it wasn't a trilogy and when book 4 came out I ignored it for a year. When book 5 came out and I saw the fourth book was in the discount bin and...since I didn't have anything else to read at the moment I gave it a whirl. And the direction the story went into was quite the surprise to me. When I finished it I was really curious about book 5, and after finishing that, I wanted book 6 NOW!

Old July 28th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I recently started reading this series - I'm at the beginning of book 3 at the moment. So far I'm enjoying it. The storyline is unique, but it's interesting to find elements that are similar to things in other books, such as Lord of the Rings and The Sword of Truth series. I didn't realize that there were so many books to this series though - guess I have a lot of reading ahead of me.
I've been hearing a lot about these, and they're definitely next on my list as well. I didn't know there were that many books either until popping into here.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 28th, 2010, 7:45 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
At least you're reading them at a point where you won't have too long of wait between the books. When I started 1-8 were all out in paperback, so my friend loaned them too me. I was also in the summer before and my last semester of college when I read them. Book 9 came out that year and so I was able to go straight from 8 to 9. THen had to wait and wait for 10. 11 came out during midterm week of graduate school. (I took a 4 year break between college and graduate school) So I couldn't have Knife of Dreams in my apartment. I handed it off to my friend and told him keep it for a week, I need to study. Then waited some more for Gathering Storm.
Yeah, I'm glad I won't have to wait between novels. I remember another series I put off reading for several years before buying. The Honor Harrington and Dresden Files series. Once I actually started reading them I kicked myself from not having started sooner, as I am now with this series.

Quote:
Book 6 was a high point and hard to top.

Things kind of slowed down, and I know many that were disappointed with books 9 and 10. However, everyone was absolutely dismayed and devastated when Robert Jordan passed away after book 11. But everyone was shamelessly cheered when the news came out that the series would be finished by coauthor Brandon Sanderson. (No shame whatsoever I tell you!) And book 12 came out and was read with a degree of relief. (Didn't diverge at all from Jordan's writing style, and was definitely a good read). Now we just have to wait for books 13 and 14, which will end the series.
Yeah, heard that the author died before he could finish. That sucks, but at least his chosen co-author is able to finish for him.

Wow, though, 14 books total. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

-Tibbetts

Old July 29th, 2010, 3:42 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
The storyline is unique, but it's interesting to find elements that are similar to things in other books, such as Lord of the Rings and The Sword of Truth series.
The similiar elemts between Jordan and Tolkien are there, most superficially between the Nazgűl and the Myrddraal. Jordan has never denied he was influenced by Tolkien after all. But the Ogre are pretty much Ents. I wish he could have been a bit more original with them though I love Loial none-the-less !

As for The Sword of Truth.. you got it the wrong way around ! The Wheel of Time doesn't have similiar elements with The Sword of Truth, The Sword of Truth series stole shamelessly from tWOT !

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy