Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Chronicles of Narnia

Old May 27th, 2008, 2:41 pm
First Year

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia

I've read the entire series twice now and they are very good books. I've only seen the first movie which I thought was very nicely done and stayed true to the book. I was curious though as to why a movie wasn't done for the first book and why they're jumping around.

I thought that Susan grew up and that was why she didn't come back to Narnia. I've always pictured that people from our world who could go to Narnia had to be children who still had and used their imaginations. Not grown ups who sometimes do not continue to use their imaginations. I don't think that Susan would have stopped loving Narnia and Aslan, but she would be having children of her own who may one day visit Narnia. She would have other responsibilities to her own family. I think Aslan would have understood the choices Susan made. I think Peter was heading that way as well because he was growing up.

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 7:25 pm
Sixth Year

That's an intersting point, Jayfer (by the way, welcome to the forums). However, Peter was older than Susan and he still regarded Narnia as a part of his life, even if he could not go back. Diggory and Polly are much older than all of them and still believe in Narnia. Susan, on the contrary, thought that part of her life was past and overcome. I don't think either that she had ceased loving Narnia or Aslan, but she thought she felt she did not need them any more.

IMO it's not as much a matter of age as of mind. Those who keep something of the children they were (the faith, the innocence, if you want), will still belong to Narnia, no matter how old they get (example: Diggory and Polly).

I like the idea of Susan's children going to Narnia, anyway. That surely would have broguth faith back to their mommy... But, alas, Narnia ended! We'll have to hope that when she remembers her siblings and their children's games she finds some comfort, and with time recovers her Narnian citizenship.

Old May 27th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Susan forgetting about Narnia was one of the most frustrating parts of the series for me.

Old June 5th, 2008, 7:37 pm
First Year

I know, I always got so mad at Susan for not coming. When they make the movie I expect a full rewrite and have her come back.

Quote:
I've read the entire series twice now and they are very good books. I've only seen the first movie which I thought was very nicely done and stayed true to the book. I was curious though as to why a movie wasn't done for the first book and why they're jumping around.
Lion Witch and Wardrobe IS the first book. Magician's Nephew is SECOND TO LAST. It makes me so mad that they try to put the series in order of events. It completely spoils everything. Magician's nephew is supposed to be a flashback, an explanation before the final conflict. If you read them in order of events, you are really missing out.

Rue, even for ruth, here shortly shall be seen,
In the remembrance of a weeping queen.
~Gardener, Richard II.

Old June 5th, 2008, 8:19 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
Susan forgetting about Narnia was one of the most frustrating parts of the series for me.
Yes, me as well. I don't really get the purpose of that development, especially since she was such an integral part of Narnia as a queen.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Sixth Year

I think that Susan's giving up of Narnia is a warning for the readers don't lower their guard: don't loose your innocence; don't let the world make complete adults of you. If even a queen of Narnia could forget it, you need to keep alert. It warns you of the danger of letting the noise of the world around you make you forget what you truly are.

Besides, it's also possible that Tolkien's influence had something to do, since they were great friends. I can't help comparing the end of Narnia with Frodo's destiny at the end of The Lord of the Rings. Not for the actual facts (they have little in common), but the bitter-sweet tone.

Old June 6th, 2008, 3:17 am
Banned

I finished the Magician's Nephew and I have to say that was the best out of all that I've read so far.

Old June 6th, 2008, 5:54 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I think that Susan's giving up of Narnia is a warning for the readers don't lower their guard: don't loose your innocence; don't let the world make complete adults of you. If even a queen of Narnia could forget it, you need to keep alert. It warns you of the danger of letting the noise of the world around you make you forget what you truly are.
This is what I think.
I know that a lot of people believe that Susan wasn't brought back because she started to become an adult, but I think it has less to do with growing up and more to do with losing those qualities of childlike innocence and wonder.
I could kind of see it coming in Prince Caspian, when Susan admits to Lucy that she really had believed that Aslan was nearby, but she chose not to go with her anyway. The DLF didn't really believe in Aslan, Peter honestly thought that Lucy was probably mistaken and just didn't want to take any chances, and Edmund was willing all along to believe in Lucy. Susan's being left out was something that Lewis indicated early on - he didn't just throw it in at the last minute - the indicators were there. Susan wanted to be her own vision of "mature," and lost some of her precious innocence because of it.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old June 6th, 2008, 3:59 pm
Sixth Year

There's another hint in The Horse and his Boy: when Corin and Shasta are riding towards Anvard, Shasta asks about Queen Susan, and Corin says:

Quote:
She's not like Lucy, you know, who's as good as a man or at any rate as good as a boy. Queen Susan is more like an ordinary grown-up lady. She doesn't ride to the wars, though she is an excellent archer.
Even in Narnia, Susan played somehow the conventional female role while Lucy never said "no" to an adventure.

Old June 6th, 2008, 6:42 pm
I want to believe

MmeBergerac - that's a plausible interpretation. And I'd forgotten the reference in The Horse and his Boy where Susan is differentiated from Lucy (actually, I had always liked Lucy better than Susan as a character, though it's still disappointing that she didn't come back to Narnia). I agree with the idea that it wasn't because Susan grew up and became an adult, but rather because she had lost the ability to imagine and/or the desire for imagination and fantasy, and became completely grounded in the practical world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I finished the Magician's Nephew and I have to say that was the best out of all that I've read so far.
This one remains my favorite as well, I think because I really liked reading about how Narnia was started.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old June 7th, 2008, 2:10 pm
Sixth Year

I also liked Lucy better than Susan. Perhaps because the first book of the series I read was The Horse and his Boy, and had already that impression of Susan weeping at Tashbaan as the others tried to find a way to escape. Meanwhile, Lucy didn't hesitate in taking her bow to accompany her brother to battle, to defend their friends.

As for The Magician's Nephew, it's curious: people either love or hate it, there's not usually a middle point. I like it, as I like all the books in the series, but it's not my favourite, though I think Uncle Andrew one of the best comical characters in the whole series.

Old June 9th, 2008, 2:12 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I agree with the idea that it wasn't because Susan grew up and became an adult, but rather because she had lost the ability to imagine and/or the desire for imagination and fantasy, and became completely grounded in the practical world.
Yes, that's exactly how I've always seen it. When I first read The Last Battle when I was about 12 I felt so sad for Susan because I thought that she'd lost touch with heself, she was too concerned with material things and had forgotten how to imagine and be a spiritual person.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old June 12th, 2008, 9:35 pm
First Year

I love the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm still reading the series and I love it so far. I love the movies too. I've seen both the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 2:32 pm
First Year

Neil Gaiman wrote a short story called 'The Problem of Susan'. He has said that he was never happy about what happened with Susan or why she was left behind to deal with the deaths of her entire family.

The story is in the book 'Fragile Things', or you can read it here: click here

Its quite a graphic tale, so caution might be needed if you're young

Old July 3rd, 2008, 8:24 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, Gaiman likes to set his books in places both gritty and fantastical.

Susan's endpoint is particularly disheartening, because although she has her bad moments in other books, you get the sense that she is a good person, a good queen, and a well-meaning sister. Her end, however, sours her entire story--even if you are predisposed to really like her (I wasn't, but I can imagine).

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old August 31st, 2008, 3:22 am
Secret Keeper

I've read the entire series, and I'd probably have to say...Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite. I don't know why...but it was the most interesting to read. second favorite is probably the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 31st, 2008, 3:46 am
Zonko's Employee

My favorite, as a child and as an adult, is The Magician's Nephew. It's my daughter's favorite, too. It's something about learning how all the magic was created. This is why I don't recommend people read it in chronological order, which I've seen suggested; it's like reading Deathly Hallows first.

Old August 31st, 2008, 3:47 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I've read the entire series, and I'd probably have to say...Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite. I don't know why...but it was the most interesting to read. second favorite is probably the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader was always my favorite, too. I loved that book and read it over and over when I was a kid. I don't really know why that one stands out, but I have the strongest images still in my head from that book, moreso than the other Narnia books.

Old August 31st, 2008, 4:03 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite as well.

Peg, I always try to read books in the order that the author wrote them, regardless of prequels and sequels and all that. But for some reason, they now sell the Narnia books in order of when they take place instead of the order in which they were written, so I mistakenly thought that the C.S. Lewis had written them in that order, and read them that way.

Old August 31st, 2008, 4:27 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
But for some reason, they now sell the Narnia books in order of when they take place instead of the order in which they were written, so I mistakenly thought that the C.S. Lewis had written them in that order, and read them that way.
I was so upset when I saw that they had reorderd the books! I still have my copies from when I was a kid; they're in the order that Lewis wrote them. I didn't have any problems understanding the chronology when I read them that way as a child. I think the publishers are underestimating kids.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy