Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Chronicles of Narnia

Old April 23rd, 2008, 2:12 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia

I think it's a bit simpler than that--having tasted a silver apple, Jadis became immortal in the Narnian world. As such, she could never be fully destroyed until Narnia itself was judged. I have the feeling that the battle with Aslan greatly diminished her--which is why as the Green Witch, she was human-sized, and not a Charn Giantess.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:21 am
Sixth Year

Hmmm, I think Aslan said she'd have endless days and eternal youth. This means that she couldn't die of age, but I don't think it prevents violent death. And having your face eaten by a wild lion enters the definition, does it?

Besides, if the telmarines could accidentally enter Narnia from our world, maybe the Green-Dress witch did the same from another. With so many worlds, and admitting there are wizards and witches in all of them, surely someone somewhere was meddling with the inter-world travel; pure statistic.

Well, you see I'm a fan of the Jadis-is-dead-and-well-dead. Sorry, I'm a bit old-fashioned, you know: the bad guy/girl dies, preferably of horrible death

Old April 30th, 2008, 4:20 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm old-fashioned in the same way, but the similarities of attitude and speech were just too much for me to ignore--and I felt the endles days thing was an explanation--I've gone on to read 19 Oz sequels (I think that's every single one by L. Frank Baum) and his explanation that no one can truly die in Oz struck a chord with me when discussing Jadis' fate (possibly because Aslan himself said that the evil she embodied could not be destroyed).

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:52 pm
Banned

So far I've read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrob, The Horse and His Boy, and Prince Caspian. I thought that all of them were fantastic.

Old May 9th, 2008, 1:12 am
Sixth Year

I wanted to reread Prince Caspian before the film came out, so I decided to reread them all. Right now I'm on The Magician's Nephew...I'd forgotton what a good book it was!

Old May 9th, 2008, 1:51 am
Banned

I haven't read the Magician's Nephew yet. I just got that one, the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and the Silver Chair because I haven't read those yet.

Old May 15th, 2008, 3:39 am
Sixth Year

I just finished The Magician's Nephew today! I took me a while because I got distracted. I'd forgotton what most of it was about, but now that I've refreshed my memory, I realized what a great read it is! It's really interesting to read about how Narnia came to be. It explains a lot of things that are in the next books, like how the magical wardrobe was created. I'm going to start my reread of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe soon now. I'm pretty enthusiatic about it; it's my favorite one.

Old May 17th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Banned

I'm rereading Prince Caspian because my husband and I decided we'd go see the movie tomorrow. Very good reviews it got, all in all. There's a couple of them here: Prince Caspian Reviews

I had forgotten what a short book it was (250 pages, give or take) compared to LotR or HP, and still they made a 2 hours and 20 minutes movie out of it!

What struck me, though, is a similarity between CS Lewis's Centaurs and JKR's. Both "breeds" of Centaurs are prophets who look for signs and portents in the stars. I hadn't noticed it before, but it jumped at me last night.

Will be back with my impressions, though I dare say some total fans will beat me to it.

Old May 18th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Sixth Year

It's not odd JKR and Lewis' centaurs are a bit alike (though I like the Narnians better). After all, Lewis' books are in the background of almost every British reader. Anyway, both author's centaurs owe very much (including the prophetic side) to Greek mythology.

By the way, I've just found out that Narnia actually exists... It's the Italian town of Narni, in the region of Umbria, called Narnia by the Romans. Funny, isn't it?

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
It's not odd JKR and Lewis' centaurs are a bit alike (though I like the Narnians better). After all, Lewis' books are in the background of almost every British reader. Anyway, both author's centaurs owe very much (including the prophetic side) to Greek mythology.
Oh I agree, absolutely. All these authors, including have a solid grounding in Greek mythology (see the relevant thread in these forums, including comments on names like Minerva, Hermione, etc.)

Quote:
By the way, I've just found out that Narnia actually exists... It's the Italian town of Narni, in the region of Umbria, called Narnia by the Romans. Funny, isn't it?
Thanks for the information, I had no idea!!

I just saw the movie btw. It's entertaining, but I'm not sure it's going to break any records. I may be wrong, of course. There were a lot of divergences from the book, but it's very well done. Ben Barnes is very good-looking (cleft chin and all) but a bit bland, IMO - and Disney makes him more of an idiot than he is in the book. But then we don't see that much of him in the book. Also, at 28, Barnes is a bit old to play a late teen.

Back to similarities with other classics like LotR: the river rising against the bad guys at a ford (the Beruna Ford in Narnia, the fords near Rivendell in The Fellowship of the Ring), and the trees clinching it for the good guys - coming to life and coming on like the cavalry both in Prince Caspian and at Helm's Deep, not to mention destroying Isengard in LotR. That's one thing that HP doesn't have, living trees, with the exception of the Whomping Willow.

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:58 pm
Sixth Year

Well, the first trees I remember coming to live to help the good guys are actually in MacBeth:

Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be until
Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill
Shall come against him.

So everything is related to everything.

Oh, what's Disney thinking of? They expect to make me wait till July to watch the movie!!!

Old May 18th, 2008, 11:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I just saw the movie btw. It's entertaining, but I'm not sure it's going to break any records.
Well, FYI, it just "dethroned" Iron Man at the box office.

Madame Bergerac - yes, the walking forest in Macbeth. But if memory serves, that wasn't really a walking forest, was it? Wasn't it soldiers each carrying a tree in front of him? Shakespeare is not my forte at the best of times, and Macbeth is not a play I know well. Only hazy recollection of bits and pieces here and there. But I kinda remember it was a sort of trick.

It's tied to a prophecy somehow, along with "a man not born of woman" (in which the answer was really cheating because the guy in question was born by cesaerian section, but still had been carried in a woman's womb.)

So Fleur, is Prince Caspian worth seeing, or not? If it's just to see Ben Barnes' pretty face, that's not reason enough for me.

Old May 19th, 2008, 5:34 am
Banned

Quote:
Oh, what's Disney thinking of? They expect to make me wait till July to watch the movie!!!
You can always get the dvd first, can't you? I think there's an Internet site where they have the latest movies for download - but I don't know too much about it, I'm not into that kind of thing.

M_M, the prophecy you're thinking of is the one MmeBergerac quoted. Of course in Macbeth, the forest marching is a trick. In LotR and Narnia, the Trees and/or Ents do come to a life of their own. And yes there's also the one about "no man born of woman" - which can compare to "no living man can defeat me" (from the Nazgūl King) who gets defeated by living woman and hobbit.

M_M - If you're not into pretty faces on boys, wait for the dvd release. The movie is entertaining, but it didn't blow me away. And *I* appreciate handsome young men, even when they're kind of bland like Ben Barnes is. I wonder how he projects on the stage. In the movie, he doesn't show much charisma. But then neither does Peter. The interesting character is the villain, King Miraz. Edmund has grown up well, he's much more likable here than in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The White Witch (Tilda Swinton) has a cameo, where she's very effective.

Old May 19th, 2008, 9:30 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Posted by Muggle_Magic:
Madame Bergerac - yes, the walking forest in Macbeth. But if memory serves, that wasn't really a walking forest, was it? Wasn't it soldiers each carrying a tree in front of him? Shakespeare is not my forte at the best of times, and Macbeth is not a play I know well. Only hazy recollection of bits and pieces here and there. But I kinda remember it was a sort of trick.
Yes, it was a trick but what MacBeth saw was a forest walking! That's the trick of prophecies. Anyway, it was just an example; I just wanted to show how people take ideas from another people.

Old May 19th, 2008, 2:50 pm
I want to believe

I've read all of the Narnia books, and I think out of them the Magician's Nephew is my favorite by a little bit. I always liked reading about the beginning of Narnia and the fact that there were other worlds besides Narnia in existance.

The last book (the title escapes me at the moment) is also one of my favorites because it's interesting to see how Narnia ends. And it's interesting how the allegory to Christianity shows up as heaven vs. hell, sinners being sorted from the righteous. In fact, that allegory extends strongly in the Magician's Nephew too as the idea of original sin, and in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe with the resurrection of Aslan.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old May 19th, 2008, 4:03 pm
Second Year

MacBeth and LOTR

One of the reasons J.R.R. Tolkien wrote in the part about the Ents and trees coming to battle was that he always disliked that part in Macbeth because it was a cheat. He used to say in interviews that he wanted to see what it would be like if Birnam wood really came to Dunsinane.

JRRT wrote in a letter about the Ents:
Quote:
Their part in the story is due, I think, to my bitter disappointment and disgust from schooldays with the shabby use made in Shakespeare of the coming of 'Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill': I longed to devise a setting in which the trees might really march to war.
As most people know, Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were close friends, and Tolkien read bits of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to his circle of literary friends, including Lewis, as we was writing them. Lewis apparently was somewhat influenced by Tolkien, as well as being influenced by the same classical sources that Tolkien was influenced by.

J.K. Rowling, fortunately, took influences from the same classical sources, as well as from Tolkien and probably Lewis as well.

Tolkien exploded: "What has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with the pink bulbs?" When the reply came that the artist hadn't had time to read the book, and that the object with the pink bulbs was "meant to suggest a Christmas tree,' Tolkien could only answer: "I begin to feel that I am shut up in a madhouse."

Last edited by Legalese; May 19th, 2008 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Banned

I know this is about the book, but the movies have been mentioned. I confess I haven't checked whether there was a thread about the Narnia movies or not. Since I'm here, I'll post this here.

I went to see Prince Caspian. It may have topped the charts this weekend, it didn't blow me away, though there were some nice moments. Battle scenes were very good. Caspian makes a complete fool of himself most of the time though. The scene in Miraz's bedroom was completely predictable.

But the beginning!!! Unlike what the reviews say, it doesn't start with Caspian fleeing the castle, it starts with Miraz's wife in childbirth, complete with screams, sweat, writhing (sparing you the rest; no blood, however.) My date was shocked, she asked me "Is this the way to start a children's movie? Poor kids will be asking "Mom, why is the lady screaming?"

There were some nice touches, though, like female centaurs (why aren't there female centaurs anywhere else, in Greek mythology or in HP?), and a child centaur in the honor guard who couldn't keep his/her sword high enough to match the rest.

Another nice touch, Lady Miraz holding her baby being one of the first to step through the Gate between the Worlds. In the book she's completely forgotten, nobody knows (or cares) what happens to her and her child.

And that kiss at the end between Susan and Caspian had my date practically swooning.

Old May 20th, 2008, 11:02 am
Sixth Year

Muggle_Magic:

There's a thread about the movies here; it's quite busy this days. Enter and have fun.

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Muggle_Magic:

There's a thread about the movies here; it's quite busy this days. Enter and have fun.
Thank you so much dear Madame. I went there right away and you're right, it's quite active!

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:21 pm
Banned

I just started reading the Magicians Nephew and it is great so far. I'm in the middle of the chapter where they get to Narnia and the lion (whom I think is Aslan) is creating everything. At the moment I'm at the part where Uncle Andrew is comming up with a sceme to start growing boats and equipment and to start a health reasort because the air so fresh and nice and because the part of the lamp post grew into the ground and was growing. It took me a couple of minutes to remember the lamp post in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardorb. It's the same lamp post. I hope I'm not spoiling anything for those who haven't read it yet.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy