Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Chronicles of Narnia

Old February 21st, 2008, 4:25 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia

I've just finished reading the entire chronicles of narnia last night - it was the first time I'd read them.

I guess it took me about three weeks or so to read the whole series, and I developed a real love-hate relationship with the books - mostly because I kept getting emotionally attached to characters only to find in the next book that they couldn't go back to Narnia, or they'd died in the thousands of years that had taken place in Narnia in between books.

Though, I found the ending of the last book to be both fascinating and disturbing both at the same time - I loved it! I was very happy to see most of the characters from previous books in the end - because as I'd mentioned before, I'd grown attached to them. And I think I've made peace with the fact that Narnia had to be destroyed.

I think that the very worst part of the whole series is how Susan turned out. I remember watching the movie (just after i read the first book a few weeks ago), and thinking, Susan's character in the book wasn't the most enthusiastic about Narnia, but she wasn't nearly all as bad as the movie portrayed. But now that I've read the final book, it looks like the movie was trying to steer her character in the direction that she will be going in. Throughout the entirety of the last book, I was trying to figure out how there were only seven friends of Narnia, when with four pevensies, digory, polly, jill and eustace, there ought to have been eight - and of course it was susan who was the final person. And I kept waiting for her to come back throughout the entirety of the last book.

It's also very sad that Susan is now the only one left from her entire family, though I hope that this will cause her to change her attitude, and that eventually, she will go back to Narnia.

My favorite character has to be Lucy - and I was horribly dissapointed when Aslan told her that she would not be going back to Narnia, because I didn't want to go back to Narnia without Lucy. Supporting characters that I love very much include puddlegum, Mr. Tumnus, and I really adored Frank the cabman who became King Frank - he was awesome. oh and reepicheep - he amused me immensely.

Last edited by Rell; February 21st, 2008 at 4:28 am.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 3:30 pm
Curse Breaker

Agreed. There's too much--I don't know conniving, in that voice. He sounds more like a better-refined, scarier Scar than an Aslan. Interesting, I should compare his voice talents to those of Jeremy Irons since they once played evil terrorist brothers.

King Frank and his faithful steed who became the first Narnian pegasus were both quite entertaining. I thought Frank's wife getting abruptly yanked away from doing her washing to be the first queen of a new land was very entertaining. I wonder what their family and neighbors thought when they disappeared.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old February 21st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Posted by Rell:

I guess it took me about three weeks or so to read the whole series, and I developed a real love-hate relationship with the books - mostly because I kept getting emotionally attached to characters only to find in the next book that they couldn't go back to Narnia, or they'd died in the thousands of years that had taken place in Narnia in between books.
As Eustace said in The Last Battle, "that's the bad part of coming back to Narnia"

I'm not sure that, in the movie, they've tried to hint what Susan will become. She's always the rational, the motherly-eldest-sister type. And, now I remember, she behaved quite oddly in Prince Caspian, remember? When Lucy saw Aslan but the others couldn't. At the first only Edmund believed her (that's my boy), and, later, Peter thought it better to mind her; but Susan kept refusing to believe her. She said to Lucy: And I really believed it was him tonight, when you woke us up. I mean, deep down inside. Or I could have, if I'd let myself. But I just wanted to get out of the woods.

So, she believed it, but she didn't want to... I've always wondered whether Lewis was hinting something here.

Quote:
oh and reepicheep - he amused me immensely
Oh, yes. I love Trumpkin's definition: if you want someone who can kill with looks, Reepicheep would be the best.. And it's so brave and poetic when he decides to go over the waterfall at the end of the world...

Old February 22nd, 2008, 1:56 pm
Curse Breaker

I don't know that it's brave so much as glorious. I enjoyed him going nuts when he tasted the sweet water of the utter east. It's one of the few moments from Dawntreader that actually stuck with me.

By the way--Is anyone else bugged that the kid they cast as Caspian for the movie is WAY too old (a good 5 years)? I know 5 years isn't huge but when you're talking about childhood, it definitely is.

Eustace's reaction when he sees the old king on basically a bier in the first part of The Silver Chair is incredibly sad and authentic--but the attack on that horrible gym at the end almost makes up for it.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 7:05 pm
Sixth Year

Caspian's resurrection at Aslan's country is one of the most moving moments in the series. When Eustace cries "as adults do", and then Caspian wakes up and asks him what he's done with the sword he lent him aboard the Dawn Treader... You don't know whether laugh or cry.

By the way, reading this book you think Lewis didn't have a great opinion of mixed schools. Though, if you add it to Professor Kirke's continual "what do they teach them at these schools?", I'd rather think he didn't have a great opinion of the educational system...

Old February 24th, 2008, 3:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

For some reason ,i havent figured out why,i do lov ethe silver chair...its you could say my favorite after the lion ,the wicht and the wardrobe.

And just as Rell,above i do love Lucy and had a difficult time imagining Narnia without her.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old February 25th, 2008, 3:51 pm
Curse Breaker

I don't think he had a problem with girls and boys learning in the same classroom--I think he had a problem with curriculum and discipline.

I think Lucy is the most sympathetic of the Cair Paravel four--and, of all of them, she seems most connected to Narnia. Strange when you consider that Edmund was saved by his first trip there, and it revealed the greatness slumbering within Peter.

I think we can see problems with Susan--if they weren't apparent in Prince Caspian, definitely apparent in The Horse and His Boy. By the way--on the title, I know it's meant to be ironic. however, considering Bree has top billing, it's rather odd that he's a supporting character in all this and the biggest lesson for him in this is that while he is special as an individual--as all Aslan's Beasts are, he is not superior. It's almost as if he got a chance to name the book before he learned his lesson. It seems peculiar after all that that Hwin turns out to be the better--I catch myself typing person because it's more descriptive the individual--how about "superior character."

Old February 26th, 2008, 9:12 am
Sixth Year

Well, after all, it was Lucy the one who discovered Narnia, wasn't she? We read that the ways to Narnia are open some times, but closed others. Lucy was the youngest and most innocent of the four, and so it was easier for her. I mean, when she got into the wardrobe, she was in the very age and mood to believe in what she found there. Maybe the wardrobe perceived that and let her pass. I doubt Edmund would have been able to get into Narnia. Yes, I know he got there later, but it was while Lucy was there visiting Mr Tumnus again (so I think, I don't have the book right here), so the "door" was open for her to come back...

About Susan, it's true: in The Horse and his Boy, while Edmund, Tumnus are thinking of a way to escape Tashbaan, she only cries and laments. Not at all like Lucy, who, at learning of the attack on Anvard, doesn't hesitate in taking her bow and running to battle.

Quote:
By the way--on the title, I know it's meant to be ironic. however, considering Bree has top billing, it's rather odd that he's a supporting character in all this and the biggest lesson for him in this is that while he is special as an individual--as all Aslan's Beasts are, he is not superior. It's almost as if he got a chance to name the book before he learned his lesson. It seems peculiar after all that that Hwin turns out to be the better
Well, the books are full of lessons about what is really important. Bree thinks himself important because he's a Talking Horse in a world of Dumb Horses, and thinks he's better than Shasta because the boy is ignorant (what is not his fault, because nobody has ever taught him), and Hwin, because she's shy (and a mare, I dare say). He respects Aravis because of her rank, while Hwin loves her because she's brave. Priorities...

By the way, I love the definition King Lune gives of being a king. He's a short character, but a very well done one. His trying to be corteous with Raba-donkey is just hilarious...

Old February 26th, 2008, 2:22 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, among the Pevensies--where do we ever get that name, by the way--It's not in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe OR Prince Caspian--Lucy discovered Narnia and she remained the purest in heart. However, the books are now arranged in "Narnia chronology" and not the order in which they were written--so, many readers follow Diggory and Polly on their adventures in Charn and during the creation of Narnia first, so there isn't that bond with Lucy that you get when the books are read in the order they were released.

Well, I suppose the defining incident for him through most of his early life was that he didn't listen to his mother when she told him not to wander--that's how he got wrangled in the first place.

It's true that while he despises his Tarkin master, he imbibed many of his prejudices. I hope that his wife, (mercifully not Hwin) drubbed some of that out of him.

I must say Lune strikes me as almost the perfect ally to the Cair Paravel Four--a king after Lucy's own heart. While I enjoy him immensely, I can't help feeling that being a Talking Mouse in the corner for Cor and Aravis' reign would have been almost as enjoyable as listening to the story of how they met.

I wonder--did Lewis ever explain why their son Ram was the most celebrated king in Archenland's history? Or was it a Solomon thing--y'know, his father waged the war, he presided smartly over peace.

Old February 26th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Yes, among the Pevensies--where do we ever get that name, by the way--It's not in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe OR Prince Caspian--Lucy discovered Narnia and she remained the purest in heart.
I believe we learn the Pevensie kids' surnames in The Voyage of the Dawntreader.

Quote:
However, the books are now arranged in "Narnia chronology" and not the order in which they were written--so, many readers follow Diggory and Polly on their adventures in Charn and during the creation of Narnia first, so there isn't that bond with Lucy that you get when the books are read in the order they were released.
I do think that's a shame, really. TLTWATW is the most childlike of the books so it is best to begin with that first ... and then you get a thrilling surprise twist about the origins of the White Witch in The Magician's Nephew. And the bond with Lucy, as you mention, gets missed if you don't begin with TLTWATW first.

Old February 26th, 2008, 4:06 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, the twist with Jadis is particularly appealing after reading three of five books in which she's the main antagonist--though her ability to regenerate "Wizard of Oz" style is rather annoying in the Silver Chair.

As to the last name--no wonder I don't remember it. For reasons I don't fully understand, Dawn Treader was the book among the 7 that sort of flowed past me when I read it instead of sticking--Although I'll probably never forget the moronic noble who took a dip in that Midas lake, or Eustace turning into a dragon.

Also, I should explain--when I said that it was a mercy that Hwin wasn't Bree's wife--I meant that as a shot at Bree, not Hwin. Hwin definitely deserves better in a life partner than even a humbled Bree has to offer.

Old February 26th, 2008, 9:59 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I read the books in the chronological order that they are now arranged in, and I bonded with Lucy right away. For me, one of the worst moments in the books is when Aslan tells Lucy that she will not be going back to Narnia again. She is also hands down my favorite character, and I don't think I lost any of that by reading The Magician's Nephew first.

Old February 27th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Curse Breaker

You're lucky then. I was speaking from my own sad experience with the Potter books--I had the books read to me in release order as a tiny tyke and later read them in that order. Of the Narnian monarchs, Lucy is my favorite, but I love the man Edmund became. I'm glad that my experience isn't a general truth--some of the things I've read on these boards would lead me to believe that it DOES happen from time to time.

Old March 17th, 2008, 7:56 pm
First Year

The Chronicles of Narnia are awsome!!! I would have to say the Magician's Nephew is my favorite. Aslan creating Narnia through song was very creative and it makes you wonder and wish, at least it does me, to know what it sounds like.

Old March 24th, 2008, 4:35 pm
Curse Breaker

That melody of creation is probably too beautiful and terrible for us to understand--unfortunately, I think that most of the human race is like poor, stupid, Uncle Andrew.

Old April 21st, 2008, 3:40 am
First Year

I've started reading Prince Caspian this weekend. It's really very creative, but I can't STAND Peter. Something about him just makes me so angry, I mean, the way he treats his siblings! I'm at the part where they're sailing with the Red Dwarf (can't remember the name though I was only reading it 1 minute ago) to go meet Prince Caspian and the crew at Aslan's Hop.

"The world is 63 years old."
Old April 21st, 2008, 8:45 am
Second Year

Quote:
Yes, the twist with Jadis is particularly appealing after reading three of five books in which she's the main antagonist--though her ability to regenerate "Wizard of Oz" style is rather annoying in the Silver Chair.
Wait a minute, Jadis is only in 2 books. I don't believe the Lady of the Green Kirtle was Jadis in another form, if that's what you're saying.

Conservatives want to be your daddy, telling you what to do and what not to do. Liberals want to be your mommy, feeding you, tucking you in, and wiping your nose. Libertarians want to treat you as an adult
Old April 21st, 2008, 4:11 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, if it wasn't Jadis--it was her long-lost Charn twin. The Lady of Green Kirtle looks, sounds, and acts like Jadis. Also, her immortality explains why she was able to recover from being destroyed by Aslan. It's "Wizard-of-Oz" style regeneration.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 1:41 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Well, if it wasn't Jadis--it was her long-lost Charn twin. The Lady of Green Kirtle looks, sounds, and acts like Jadis. Also, her immortality explains why she was able to recover from being destroyed by Aslan. It's "Wizard-of-Oz" style regeneration.
If I remember correctly, Jadis' name was mentioned on the back of the back as the Witch, so I think it was her and not her twin. I doubt her twin would have figured out how to use Andrew's rings and get to Narnia. Plus, didn't she like die after she said the Forbidden Word?

Old April 22nd, 2008, 5:25 pm
Sixth Year

I think The Lady of Green Kirtle isn't Jadis, for a very simple reason: size. Jadis was almost giant-size, and the Witch-Snake of The Green Skirt is human-size.

However, I agree with jordmunt that she acts very much like Jadis, though I think that she wouldn't have been able to speak Aslan's name so softly as this witch does when she's trying to hypnotize the children and the Prince, after what he did to her.

Maybe all the witches are a bit alike... Unless we admit that reincarnation exists in Narnia, what knowing Professor Lewis is quite unlikely.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy