Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Chronicles of Narnia

Old January 19th, 2008, 7:00 am
First Year

The Chronicles of Narnia

I did'nt see a topic on this so... I started one.

I really like the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis, Iíve read all seven of them. My favorite is The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2008, 9:41 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixLuna View Post
I did'nt see a topic on this so... I started one.

I really like the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis, Iíve read all seven of them. My favorite is The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.
I own all seven Narnia books (though I seem to have misplaced one!) and I've read them all, too. Like you said, my favorite is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I also really like the films, and I can't wait for the new one!

Old January 21st, 2008, 11:32 pm
Unspeakable

I read these when I was younger and sadly, I've forgotten a lot about it. I do remember my favorite was The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe but I can't honestly say why anymore. I want to go back and read them again sometime. I must've been at an odd age or something back then.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:34 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

I've been reading the series and it's good so far. Still have aways to go to finish it though.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 1:03 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
I read these when I was younger and sadly, I've forgotten a lot about it. I do remember my favorite was The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe but I can't honestly say why anymore. I want to go back and read them again sometime. I must've been at an odd age or something back then.
For some reason, that seems to be everyone in the world's favorite book. I'm not sure myself what made it so different from the others, but it's wildly popular.

I thought The Last Battle was one of the most incredible and moving books that I'v ever read. The scene at the end in the garden... well, C.S. Lewis definately based his books on the Bible. So sad...

For whatever reason, I didn't like the third, The Horse and his Boy. It just seemed kind of random. All the others books had nothing to do with it, and the plot was slow and dull. It was the only one in the series I didn't enjoy.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 2:31 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post

For whatever reason, I didn't like the third, The Horse and his Boy. It just seemed kind of random. All the others books had nothing to do with it, and the plot was slow and dull. It was the only one in the series I didn't enjoy.
Yes, the Horse and his Boy was the most boring book in the series. The other ones made up for it, though! And you're right, it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the books . . . but don't count on what I say, I haven't read it in ages.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 5:36 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

My favorite was always Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I read them all when I was a kid, and for some reason, Dawn Treader has remained so vivid in my mind--much more than the other books.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 3:31 pm
Curse Breaker

Deathly721, GrangerHermione--I'm shocked. The Horse and His Boy is probably my first or second favorite of the Chronicles. You should know, it's not the third volume in the series, but the fifth. It was written and released after The Silver Chair (#4) and before The Magician's Nephew (#6). The Narnia timeline places The Magician's Nephew up front with The Horse and His Boy third, preceding Prince Caspian. That's not how they were written. In fact, if you read Prince Caspian, you'll notice that that overgrown orchard at Cair Paravel is a complete mystery to the Pevensies when they visit the ruin, but Lewis uses that orchard as the one anchor that ties The Horse and His Boy to the rest of the series (Susan crying about the possibility of never seeing home again when Rabadash tries to trap the Narnian embassy in Tashban).

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 6:48 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Deathly721, GrangerHermione--I'm shocked. The Horse and His Boy is probably my first or second favorite of the Chronicles. You should know, it's not the third volume in the series, but the fifth. It was written and released after The Silver Chair (#4) and before The Magician's Nephew (#6). The Narnia timeline places The Magician's Nephew up front with The Horse and His Boy third, preceding Prince Caspian. That's not how they were written. In fact, if you read Prince Caspian, you'll notice that that overgrown orchard at Cair Paravel is a complete mystery to the Pevensies when they visit the ruin, but Lewis uses that orchard as the one anchor that ties The Horse and His Boy to the rest of the series (Susan crying about the possibility of never seeing home again when Rabadash tries to trap the Narnian embassy in Tashban).
Well, in that case, I should read it again. I don't remember much of what it was about. I haven't read the series in a while. Since I was a kid. Maybe I'll have another go at it soon. It'll just go on my rapidly growing list of books I need to reread.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 8:30 pm
Sixth Year

Deathly721, GrangerHermione: I must disagree with you, because The Horse and His Boy is my favourite book in the Narnia series. Maybe it's because it was the first of them I read, but I've always loved it. I was in love when King Edmund...

As an anecdote, I couldn't read The Last Battle till I was 20, because the books weren't very popular in my country and they were so hard to find in the libraries (at last I bought them in English). I was tempted to send it to my ex-Phylosophy teacher so he enplained Plato's Myth of the Cave to future students.

Old January 25th, 2008, 3:54 pm
Curse Breaker

The varied experiences in that stable as a stand-in for Plato's caves? Interesting. GrangerHermione--my reread list is almost as long as my to-read list. So, we're in the same boat.

Old January 25th, 2008, 5:38 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The varied experiences in that stable as a stand-in for Plato's caves? Interesting.
Well, the idea isn't mine. Professor Kirke said it somewhere in The Last Battle: It's all in Plato, all in Plato, bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?. But you know, when I read it and remembered our poor teacher's efforts to make us understand the Cave, I really thought that perhaps it could help.

Quote:
Posted by Deathly721:
I thought The Last Battle was one of the most incredible and moving books that I'v ever read. The scene at the end in the garden... well, C.S. Lewis definately based his books on the Bible. So sad...
I'm not sure I understand why it's sad. I won't deny that The Chronicles have a strong religious content (the paralelism between Aslan and Christ in The Lion... is evident), but I'm convinced it was a personal choice of the author rather than a copy or plagiarism. A paradox of writing is that, to create a new world you need to lean on your cultural background. You can find it everywhere: there's a lot of Shakespeare in The Lord of the Rings, a bit of Tolkien in Harry Potter, lots of Bible (though in a way quite different form Narnia) in His Dark Materials, not to mention the tons of Greek and Nordic mythology you find in all of them.

Religion was an important matter for Lewis (he was an agnostic in his youth, and was converted to Cristianism past his thirties), and he wrote several books about the matter. So, in writing a children's book, where there's always a bit of moral (Edmund's treachery in the Lion, Shasta's task and Rabadash's punishment in The Horse, Eustace's change in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader...), it's not odd he used it. And the stories aren't less good for that.

Old January 25th, 2008, 5:51 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

Unfortunately, I haven't read any of the books. I've only seen the movie, and that was enough to make me an instant fan. Once I find the time, I'll be able to read them. I can't wait to start the series and see the new movie!

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:41 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I'm not sure I understand why it's sad. I won't deny that The Chronicles have a strong religious content (the paralelism between Aslan and Christ in The Lion... is evident), but I'm convinced it was a personal choice of the author rather than a copy or plagiarism. A paradox of writing is that, to create a new world you need to lean on your cultural background. You can find it everywhere: there's a lot of Shakespeare in The Lord of the Rings, a bit of Tolkien in Harry Potter, lots of Bible (though in a way quite different form Narnia) in His Dark Materials, not to mention the tons of Greek and Nordic mythology you find in all of them.
The sadness didn't come from the Bible references in the books, but the things that happened themselves. You didn't find the fact that everyone died in the end and went to a Eden-like place sad? I certainly did. And the entire Eden story from the Bible was recreated in The Magician's Nephew. A new world was formed, the first people are sent to a Garden. When they are there, someone eats the Forbidden Fruit, this dooming them all in the long run. They all died there at the end. The parallels are wonderful.

Lewis really did make Narnia a near-exact copy of the world told of in the Bible. His beliefs about religion certainly did have a strong affect on the series, providing the basis for everything the Pevensies, Aslan, and the Witch did in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The comparisons between His Dark Materials are there with the religion, although from the opposite point of view. Pullman's books focused on the darker side of human nature versus religion, while Lewis showed that all things of the Bible are possible, even in the most simple stories. He put God (Aslan) in his stories as the ultimate voice of wisdom, the ruler and peacemaker. Pullman's trilogy does not have a figure like this.

Quote:
Religion was an important matter for Lewis (he was an agnostic in his youth, and was converted to Cristianism past his thirties), and he wrote several books about the matter. So, in writing a children's book, where there's always a bit of moral (Edmund's treachery in the Lion, Shasta's task and Rabadash's punishment in The Horse, Eustace's change in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader...), it's not odd he used it. And the stories aren't less good for that.
Sorry, but when did I say that moral was a bad fit and made these books bad? I loved this series. The only problem I had with morals in the books was the way the conflicted with his own religious beliefs. If you look through the Bible, you will notice every traitor is executed or has something horrible done to them. Edmund manages to redeem himself. I agree, though, that Eustace's change was very well done and that one I had no problem with. A person who has no morals or care has something unexpected and weird happen to them. They meete the "Light," a.k.a. Aslan, and realize their error. It reminded me a bit of the story of Saul and his blindness in the Bible. I only think that he may have played the role of religion in his stories too much to accept traitors being redeemed. I had no problem with it, but on a deeper level it conflicts the role of the Bible and that of morals in the books.

This is all just IMO.

Old January 26th, 2008, 9:24 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Posted by Deathly721:
Sorry, but when did I say that moral was a bad fit and made these books bad?
It's true, you didn't say it. My fault, then. When I begin writing I sometimes go a little off the subject...

Quote:
The sadness didn't come from the Bible references in the books, but the things that happened themselves. You didn't find the fact that everyone died in the end and went to a Eden-like place sad?
You know, the saddest thing I find in Narnia is Susan's fate. True, all the others die in that train crash, and their parents, too, but they can see them again in the "real Narnia"/Eden-like place. The children belonged (or so they felt) to the two worlds at a time, but had been in some way banished from Narnia because they were too old. But "once king or queen of Narnia, always king or queen": they still felt themselves as part Narnians. And though I don't think it would have made them unhappy, had they continued living in their world, they wouldn't have been complete. But when they die, their two worlds become one and they're not torn between them any more. They can have Narnia and Cair Paravel and Aslan, but also their parents and Professor Kirke's old house. They're whole again.

Now Susan. "My sister is no more a friend of Narnia", says Peter. How is it possible? How can she have forgotten Narnia till the point of referring it as kids' plays? Susan, the one who, along with Lucy, accompanied Aslan to the Stone Table!!!!!!!!! Her character is the saddest of all, because she had something as good as Narnia and despised it. And she can't go back, because she doesn't believe it any more and will not be able to find the "real Narnia" when she dies (apart of the matter that she has to bury her whole family). I feel that Susan's dropping Narnia was worse than Edmund's treason was. In some way, she's like those animals that lost the gift of speech at the end of Narnia. And, IMO, that's the saddest fate of all.

Old January 27th, 2008, 3:59 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, Susan's loss of faith and imagination is probably one of the saddest parts of the Narnia Chronicles--and, frankly, it feels like an incredible left turn for her character.

About the "moral" tone of the books--you can add Diggory spoiling Eden but gaining wisdom and forgiveness in The Magicians Nephew; and Jill's imperfectly executed commission to rescue Rilian from Jadis' clutches in The Silver Chair to that list. Caspian's romp at the end of Silver Chair lessens the blow of his death.

As humans, we generally have a tough time wrapping our minds around "forever," so the idea of the death of the Narnian world, like the death of the wiorld of Charn is sad--but I thought the paradise at the end was breathtaking and that last comment about how all their adventures had been nothing but the cover and title page and the first chapter was about to begin now was a near-perfect way to approximate the sensation of faith rewarded for eternity.

Old January 27th, 2008, 6:56 pm
Banned

The first Narnia books I read were "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and "Prince Caspian" - in French, when I was a teenager. Those were the only two books of the series translated into French at the time, and I didn't know enough English to read them in the original language.

"The Lion..." stayed with me, but I forgot everything about what happened in "Prince Caspian" until I read the whole series, this time in English, after the movie came out. (The movie was well-done and well-cast, btw.)

Though that was only a couple of years ago, I promptly forgot almost everything except "The Magician's Nephew", "The Lion..." and "Voyage of the Dawn Treader". I had even forgotten the train crash and the fact that Susan had lost faith... But then, "Narnia", unlike HP, IS a children's books series. It didn't catch my fancy or hooked me the way the HP series is doing.

One fun tidbit: In a fanfic titled "Stealing Harry", the author (I forgot his name) has Sirius (who hasn't gone to Azkaban) and Remus opening a bookshop close to 4 Privet Drive, that Harry passes by every day. One day, escaping from Aunt Petunia, he gets into the shop and Remus gives him "The Magician's Nephew" to read. Of course that captures Harry's imagination right away, he's sure that Remus is a Magician and Sirius (in his Padfoot form) is one of the talking animals from Narnia. (I recommend that piece of fan fic, btw. It's a lot of fun to read.)

Old January 27th, 2008, 7:40 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I've recently re-read The Magican's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I was sadly disappointed. There is so much hype surrounding the series and it didn't live up to it for me. I orginially read the series when I was younger and thought they were alright, and now on the re-reads, I found that I didn't like C.S Lewis's style of writing. I just wasn't that impressed.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old January 28th, 2008, 3:01 am
Fifth Year

I've read The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I have always meant to read the whole series (and do actually own the whole series), but have never done it. I should get on that. I liked the books, and they are really easy to read as well.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old January 28th, 2008, 4:31 am
do you want fries with that?

Although I enjoyed the movie, I was never particularly interested by the books. I tried reading The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe on several occaisions, but never managed finishing it. I guess it just wasnt my thing

The Next Mesut ÷zil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy