Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Alcemist: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Old June 18th, 2010, 10:47 pm
Second Year

Re: The Alcemist: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Im still trying to digest the book and i read it a couple of weeks ago, i think once i finish the book im reading now i might reread it. There's so much information there and i think im on information overload. This book was totally not what I expected but I really enjoyed the book.
I hear ya the ending was pretty abrupt, but it sets up for the next two books very well. I felt like Josh has been made into a way better protagonist, I saw a lot of complaint that he was annoying or even a stupid character, but I feel that this book really shows his power and interactions with Flamel universe as a whole

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 9:11 am
Fifth Year

Spoiler: show
I know though the end made me see Josh to be a little more stupid in my opinion. He fell for Dee's tricks too fast and unless he is under a spell there was no way he could leave his sister. But according to some statements at the end there was no spell. Atleast we know who the warlock is.

Initially I put it in the open but then I decided to wrap the spoiler tags.

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old June 23rd, 2010, 1:59 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglewizard View Post
I know though the end made me see Josh to be a little more stupid in my opinion. He fell for Dee's tricks too fast and unless he is under a spell there was no way he could leave his sister. But according to some statements at the end there was no spell. Atleast we know who the warlock is.

Initially I put it in the open but then I decided to wrap the spoiler tags.
see thats one thing im not entirely sure about, i think his eyes were burning red when he left with dee, im not sure it was his decision. Ill pay closer attention on this second reread i just started

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old June 23rd, 2010, 9:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
see thats one thing im not entirely sure about, i think his eyes were burning red when he left with dee, im not sure it was his decision. Ill pay closer attention on this second reread i just started
Yeah, I think he was under a spell because of the red, eyes,guess we have to wait for the next book, duur

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:32 am
Fifth Year

His eyes were read but later the flamels were told he left on his own free will. Also remember Mars' control was already broken before the summons. another point I dont get is. Josh heard everything when he was in the dream state how come he didnt hear Dee saying 'its a pity he will die' or something to that effect. Dee was not hiding anything and was speaking clearly thinking Josh was asleep

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old June 24th, 2010, 2:15 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
His eyes were read but later the flamels were told he left on his own free will. Also remember Mars' control was already broken before the summons. another point I dont get is. Josh heard everything when he was in the dream state how come he didnt hear Dee saying 'its a pity he will die' or something to that effect. Dee was not hiding anything and was speaking clearly thinking Josh was asleep
Yes there is definitely something strange going on there, and i agree he was incontrol for the summoning, but he was under the influence of magic to think Coatlicue was beautiful. But it seems like Mars retook control of josh at some point. And Im not really sure why josh didnt hear Dee, I wonder if it was said at a whisper to Dare. This is one of the parts i really need to reread and scrutinize as there are some details i think im missing

Last edited by Spacecadet; June 24th, 2010 at 10:17 pm.
Old June 24th, 2010, 6:37 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzzardree View Post
I hear ya the ending was pretty abrupt, but it sets up for the next two books very well. I felt like Josh has been made into a way better protagonist, I saw a lot of complaint that he was annoying or even a stupid character, but I feel that this book really shows his power and interactions with Flamel universe as a whole
My only issue with Josh is aside from jealousy of his sister, there is no reasoning given for the decisions he makes.
I thought it was a weak excuse that he would want to learn Necromancy to learn more about the Flamels - there were other reasons that he claimed, I know like the interest in archeology, but that seemed last minute as well. If he's going to make poor decisions based on wanting to be more powerful, I'd like to see him have more of a competitive bent throughout. The one thing I will say that I liked was the connection he has to Clarent and his drive for war and fighting.

Quote:
I am pretty sure he left on his own accord. I don't think he was under any spell - he was angry that Sophie got in his way.

Old June 24th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
My only issue with Josh is aside from jealousy of his sister, there is no reasoning given for the decisions he makes.
I just figured this was characterization to make him seem reckless, but I guess I understand how people can take issue to it.

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:44 pm

It's one of those things where there are so many intricate details about every immortal, elder, dark elder, next gen... and so few about the twins motivations. I know at the biggest level they are just being dragged along for the ride, but 4 books in I want to know more about why or why not Josh trusts the Flamels or will side with Dee.

All that being said, I think the next book will sort a lot of it out. Too bad we have to wait a year for it!

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
It's one of those things where there are so many intricate details about every immortal, elder, dark elder, next gen... and so few about the twins motivations. I know at the biggest level they are just being dragged along for the ride, but 4 books in I want to know more about why or why not Josh trusts the Flamels or will side with Dee.

All that being said, I think the next book will sort a lot of it out. Too bad we have to wait a year for it!
Well, there's always the Necromancer Game, if you need a fix before the next book comes out.

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:25 am
Rocket Scientist

Quote:

yes i feel like we got a lot more back story this time around and the story will move forward and we will find out more about why the characters are motivated to do what they are doing in the warlock.

As for josh i think his motivation for following dee was learning necromancy, and other magics dee has told him several times he can teach him a lot of things so im wondering if thats what was enticing to josh, then again i cant ignore the red eyes, mars isnt completely uninvolved

Old June 25th, 2010, 6:50 am
Fifth Year

Well since the Warlock is referring to Mars I am sure he will be playing a big role in the upcoming book. I do wonder if Isis and Osirus are dark elders or are ok with the humani

Old June 25th, 2010, 2:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Well since the Warlock is referring to Mars I am sure he will be playing a big role in the upcoming book. I do wonder if Isis and Osirus are dark elders or are ok with the humani
yes i was having a hard time figuring that out as well, with dora being there. Im not sure if its the enemy of my enemy if my friend situation (i.e. Mars being the enemy) or if dora is really a dark elder (which considering her past i find hard to believe), or Isis and Osiris are pro humani. Although im leaning towards the first
because...

I think Isis and Osiris might be dee's elders.

Old June 25th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Second Year

I think Isis and Osiris might be dee's elders.
[/quote]

Do you think they will finally reveal this in the next book?

Old June 28th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Fifth Year

No I dont think those two are Dees elders. I have a feeling its someone we are not expecting but have probably met. Abraham the Mage anyone.

Old June 28th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
No I dont think those two are Dees elders. I have a feeling its someone we are not expecting but have probably met. Abraham the Mage anyone.
The twin's parents? duh duh duh!!!!

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:03 pm

Quote:
My impression was that Isis and Osirus would be involved with the altercation with Joan, Scatty and Compte de St. Germain because of the shadow realm they are said to have left from
(a replica of Danu Talis)

It will be interesting to see if Josh and Mars team up to go against Dee. Josh does owe him something, we have yet to see what that comes to.

Abraham would be an interesting elder - I wonder if Dee's elder has been introduced yet.

And I have to say I love learning about who has alliances or grievances with who - it's all so intermingled you never know what to expect!

Old June 29th, 2010, 12:58 am
Second Year

never thought about that angle, I am waiting for josh to take the lead as the main protagonist, do you think he is going to turn too dee's side for a minute too though?

Old June 30th, 2010, 8:03 am
Fifth Year

I have no idea about Josh now. He really changed in this book.
Ok something we seem to have forgotten is what will happen to Nick now. He is down for the count. Infact its Perry who even wrote in the journal. Or could Josh come through with the Codex in time for Nick

Old June 30th, 2010, 8:47 am
Fifth Year

I have no idea what to think after reading book 4. Does anyone think that Isis and Osiris could be the original twins? My first thought was that in the future Josh and Sophie will travel back in time and fight on Danu Talis (with Joan, Scatty, Pally, Germain and Shakespeare helping). But I remembered that Isis and Osiris are siblings and they didn't seem as evil (not the right word) as other elders, if they are indeed Elders.

Another thing I thought about: Michael Scott said that in this book we would be in South America, but no one ever went to South America. However, we did meet Kukulkan/Quetzalcoatl (The Feathered Serpent)who is a figure of Mayan/Aztec mythology. I wonder if in the next book we'll actually see some action in South America.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy