Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction Recommendations

Old June 14th, 2008, 7:34 am
Second Year

Re: Science Fiction Recommendations

I would recommend anything by Tamora Pierce and Mercedes Lackey. Also, Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind is amazing, but the rest of the series is quite terrible.

Old August 14th, 2008, 8:15 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I don't read very much SF, but I have read a couple excellent SF books. The two I would reccomend are actually both series'.
Ender's Game is an EXTREMELY good book; the best of the series, and The book of Ember series is more of a children's series, but I really like it.
I don't read much SF either. I read Ender's game, and liked it, but didn't continue with the series. I would encourage the read though
I actually would highly reccomend Scott Westerfeld. He's not like the whole out in space bit but he delves into SF I love the Uglies series which includes Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras...however i didn't enjoy extras at all.
I also LOVE the Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I recently read The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. It was just amazing; I loved it! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. I liked it from the very beginning and it held my attention all the way through the book.
Oh my gosh this one too!!! The Host is a-mazing!!! idk why i didn't think of that at first! it's great! to some, it might look intimidating (big book) but it's a great read!

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old August 14th, 2008, 2:26 pm
I want to believe

There are a couple of books I'd recommend:
- A Wrinkle in Time/the Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle
- The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
- The Golden Compass/the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman
- The Naming/the Pellinor series by Alison Croggon

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
There are a couple of books I'd recommend:
- A Wrinkle in Time/the Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle
- The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
- The Golden Compass/the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman
- The Naming/the Pellinor series by Alison Croggon
Alison Croggon- the whole series is fantastic!! I read the german translation of The Naming The Riddle The Crow I ordered the australian version of The Singing oh im so excitied!!! Its the best series ever! Is there anyone who wants to discuss it? then I will start a Pellinor-thread. Does anyone know how many books croggon will write for this series?

Old September 27th, 2008, 7:05 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermi0nechik92 View Post
I actually would highly reccomend Scott Westerfeld. He's not like the whole out in space bit but he delves into SF I love the Uglies series which includes Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras...however i didn't enjoy extras at all.
I have been meaning to read this series for a while because everyone I've talked to about said it was great. I just haven't gotten around to it. But hopefully I will read it soon. It's bound to be a good read; it sounds really interesting.

Old September 27th, 2008, 3:44 pm
Qvack...

I'd go with Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes. It's just fantastically wonderfully brilliant.
And also, His Dark Materials, but those have definitely been mentioned before. If the Hitchhiker's Guide counts, then that too!

THE DUCK.

Old January 17th, 2009, 6:55 pm
Banned

I've been looking for some young adult science fiction and couldn't really find any. Anyone have any suggestions?

I recommend anything by H. G. Wells to everyone! He was an amazing writer!

Old February 24th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Fifth Year

If you are looking for pure science fiction, Ender's Game is a classic. As well as the Foundation series by Asimov.

If you can get into fantasy, The Dresden Files are so much fun. As well as anything by Dave Duncan. Not a lot of people read him, but he is one of my guilty pleasures!

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old February 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLupin View Post
If you are looking for pure science fiction, Ender's Game is a classic.
I 100% agree with that. The whole series is really good!

I also saw his dark materials (aka the series starting with the golden compass) mentioned which is a great series.

And I agree with hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

And without getting to star wars fan crazy i recommend the timothy zahn trilogy following the first two star wars triologies, if you enjoy the star wars series and are looking for the what comes next story this is a good triology.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old February 26th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
And without getting to star wars fan crazy i recommend the timothy zahn trilogy following the first two star wars triologies, if you enjoy the star wars series and are looking for the what comes next story this is a good triology.

Oh yes, Timothy Zahn was fantastic! I still remember how excited I was reading those books. I got absolutely lost in the stories and it seemed that they were actually canon they were so well written.

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old March 12th, 2009, 5:54 am
Third Year

Another add - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Amazingly written, one of the best sci-fi novels I've read in a while. The whole series was great. Speaker for the Dead was such an amazing sequel. Xenocide and Children of the Mind were okay, but I never got as into them as I did the first two. I'm currently reading the Shadow series, but it's just not as good.

I loved Violet Eyes, by Nicole Luiken as well. It was a love story in a sci-fi novel. I actually liked it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I don't usually read much Science Fiction, but there's a book that impressed me greatly: Farenheit 451. There are several passages that provoke me a chill, because I can't help thinking we're begining to follow exactly that path... A very interesting reading, in any case.
It was very good! For a guy who wrote this such a long time ago and predicted the future very similar to what it is now, I find that really chilling. And the whole concept of burning books because of the fear of free thinkers... it was pretty scary thought. It was so real.

Definitely Lord of the Rings - would that be considered as a sci-fi series? I dunno. Well they're great, even though I do consider the movies better.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.

Last edited by hplova15165; March 12th, 2009 at 6:19 am.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:53 am
First Year

Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams is awesomeeeeeee!

Old May 10th, 2009, 4:51 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Do we have an informal definition of "science fiction" for this thread?

In any case I'm stalled on Stranger in a Strange Land because my copy was destroyed in an accident. But I'll get a new one and finish it some day.

Old May 10th, 2009, 5:23 pm
Secret Keeper

I would recommend the Uglies Trilogy to any teenager, it's so good

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old May 11th, 2009, 5:41 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Arthur C Clarke - Childhood's End - one of my favourites.

Old May 11th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Seventh Year

I would recommend: One Second After by William R. Forstchen, Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, Something From the Nightside by Simon R. Green, Semper Mars by Ian Douglas, Codex Alera series & The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, and the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old May 12th, 2009, 6:28 pm
Fourth Year

This has probably been said before, but good things can't be said to often! The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is great. I'm going to re-read it when I have finished the book I'm reading now.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old August 14th, 2009, 4:24 am
First Year

I would reccomend anything by David Drake or David Weber or John Ringo, Eric Flint also writes some interesting stuff as does David Freer (Beware Flint hates Cavalry and is pseudo-feminist fanboy)

BTW All of these authors while pretty good need to do some research on armour and weapons.

I would also reccomend Robert Buettner

Keep in mind you'll only like these books if you enjoy military Science Fiction

Old September 12th, 2009, 4:28 am
First Year

The Cosmic Trilogy - C.S. Lewis

Really amazing sci-fi trilogy, I easily enjoyed it as much as the first three Dune books.

Old September 15th, 2009, 3:55 am
Registered Animagus

I highly recommend In Her Name: Omnibus Edition by Michael Hicks. Epic sci-fi, fantasy, romance. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, but I loved this and spent many a late night reading it. He broke up the omnibus into three parts, which you can get separately if you want, but I recommend the Omnibus.

He just published In Her Name: First Contact, which is a prequel. I'm about halfway through it and loving it. This one is more military in nature, but I like action/adventure stories too. He plans two more books in the prequel series spanning about 100 years.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy