Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old March 31st, 2007, 7:15 pm
Venom3384  Undisclosed.gif Venom3384 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4625 days
Posts: 283
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Yeah, I was surprised when I first read his confession, just as I totally spaced on the idea that Morzan's dragon must have been red. I just never considered it. It was right there, but I didn't put it together.

Venom--the problem we have is that most of the concentrated knowledge in the world of Alagaesia rests with the elves and the elves themselves are both practitioners of magic and scientific investigators (so they know scientific principles). As such, they have pretty much excluded faith from their belief system. If they are right, there IS no afterlife--there IS no closure for Brom or Selena. I think this might be their great blunder, but remember in most matters, the elves are remarkably keen and almost always accurate in their deductions and theories (the Surdan king demonstrated this with his silly but entertaining hobbies). I think the fact that there IS a Vault of Souls would suggest that there is an afterlife and that, therefore, there must be more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of in the elven philosophy, but that is unconfirmed.
Yeah, you're definitely right in that case. But, when the elves talk about it, they don't say that they proved there isn't an afterlife, they just don't like dealing with stuff that they can't prove, like an afterlife. So there could be one...


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #82  
Old April 1st, 2007, 5:22 pm
jordmundt6  Undisclosed.gif jordmundt6 is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 6034 days
Posts: 7,955
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

I agree that there is one, but they're very confident that one does not exist. They think this life is all there is and that only a void awaits them when they die. Arya talks about it, Oromis talks about it (principally when he's disproving the "coral is living stone" Dwarf postulation), Vanir has even said that the reason he was so hard on Eragon to begin with is "I thought you had consigned my race to the void." They don't talk about it, but they're very sure of themselves.


__________________
I finally made it!

No worries. No spoilers here.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old April 1st, 2007, 7:09 pm
scd  Female.gif scd is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5084 days
Location: Off snogging Orlando Bloom
Posts: 1,141
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Maybe the elves know an after life is there, they just don't know what it is and that maybe why they call it the void.


Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old April 1st, 2007, 7:59 pm
Venom3384  Undisclosed.gif Venom3384 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4625 days
Posts: 283
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I agree that there is one, but they're very confident that one does not exist. They think this life is all there is and that only a void awaits them when they die. Arya talks about it, Oromis talks about it (principally when he's disproving the "coral is living stone" Dwarf postulation), Vanir has even said that the reason he was so hard on Eragon to begin with is "I thought you had consigned my race to the void." They don't talk about it, but they're very sure of themselves.
See, I always thought they called it the void because it's where they have no knowledge, a blank void in all their learning through the millennia. But, regardless, it doesn't really matter unless someone comes back from the dead, Eragon communicates with the dead, or we see Eragon die and we stay with him (in a narrative sense).


Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 6:30 am
jordmundt6  Undisclosed.gif jordmundt6 is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 6034 days
Posts: 7,955
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Well, it WILL matter if Eragon is to follow Solembum's advice. It isn't just that the elves call it the void because they have been unable to learn of it, they don't believe in the existence of gods or in the existence of an afterlife and are, in fact, disdainful of both concepts (which is why Arya gets into such heated arguments with the dwarves on the subject of religion).


__________________
I finally made it!

No worries. No spoilers here.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 7:27 pm
RWeasleysgirl's Avatar
RWeasleysgirl  Female.gif RWeasleysgirl is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4873 days
Location: The floating house above you.
Age: 27
Posts: 2,618
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

The elves are a bit similar to me in their religious views actually. I’m not sure it is so much that they are disdainful of the idea, but that they are uncomfortable with the idea of anything they cannot prove. I think Arya’s interaction with Orik got so touchy because it is often a bit touchy to talk religion with someone who has totally different views than yourself.


__________________
Ron

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:02 pm
jordmundt6  Undisclosed.gif jordmundt6 is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 6034 days
Posts: 7,955
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

They seem to believe that taking comfort in something you cannot see, here, feel, or directly understand is a crutch and unnecessary if you truly develop your mind.


__________________
I finally made it!

No worries. No spoilers here.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:05 pm
RWeasleysgirl's Avatar
RWeasleysgirl  Female.gif RWeasleysgirl is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4873 days
Location: The floating house above you.
Age: 27
Posts: 2,618
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Yes, but like Oromis said, if they were to be proven wrong they would accept it. There are certain aspects of the dwarves’ religion that they have proven wrong and yet the dwarves do not accept it. They do not truly believe in an afterlife because they have seen no proof, which I think is very understandable, but they do not deny that there is one, because they cannot prove something does not exist.


__________________
Ron

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:07 pm
jordmundt6  Undisclosed.gif jordmundt6 is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 6034 days
Posts: 7,955
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

I accept that they're being reasonable, but the very nature of faith and the reason why it enriches life is that it requires you to believe in something you can't see or touch. Without it, your life experience is diminished.


__________________
I finally made it!

No worries. No spoilers here.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:19 pm
RWeasleysgirl's Avatar
RWeasleysgirl  Female.gif RWeasleysgirl is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4873 days
Location: The floating house above you.
Age: 27
Posts: 2,618
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

I disagree, it is enriched, for you appreciate life for simply what it is.


__________________
Ron

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:45 pm
jordmundt6  Undisclosed.gif jordmundt6 is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 6034 days
Posts: 7,955
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

You can appreciate life for what it is while having and expressing faith as well.


__________________
I finally made it!

No worries. No spoilers here.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 2:40 am
RWeasleysgirl's Avatar
RWeasleysgirl  Female.gif RWeasleysgirl is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4873 days
Location: The floating house above you.
Age: 27
Posts: 2,618
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

But faith is not something you can learn, or force upon yourself. You are born with it, or you are not. The elves’ mindset is simply different than most humans’.


__________________
Ron

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:51 am
scd  Female.gif scd is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5084 days
Location: Off snogging Orlando Bloom
Posts: 1,141
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
But faith is not something you can learn, or force upon yourself. You are born with it, or you are not. The elves’ mindset is simply different than most humans’.
Couldn't faith be described as something that does grow over time though too, I think elves only believe in things that they can see and that does make them different from most humans.


Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 4:03 am
hplova15165  Female.gif hplova15165 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4596 days
Location: With Jasper, my psychiatrist
Age: 25
Posts: 385
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Elves are different from others because of their faith. I don't think that they only believe what they see, because that would be a lie. They learn from those in the past and from what happens around them, then they draw conclusions on who to put faith in.

I don't think anyone knows enough about the elves in this trilogy (except Christopher Paolini) to draw conclusions on their faith.


__________________
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~ccn53930/I/HarryPotter/harry18scar.jpg

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE


Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 5:06 am
scd  Female.gif scd is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5084 days
Location: Off snogging Orlando Bloom
Posts: 1,141
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplova15165 View Post
Elves are different from others because of their faith. I don't think that they only believe what they see, because that would be a lie. They learn from those in the past and from what happens around them, then they draw conclusions on who to put faith in.

I don't think anyone knows enough about the elves in this trilogy (except Christopher Paolini) to draw conclusions on their faith.
I guess what I mean is that the elves put their faith on tangable (sp) evidence more than stuff they see.


Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:12 pm
jordmundt6  Undisclosed.gif jordmundt6 is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 6034 days
Posts: 7,955
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

They are the ultimate rationalists. I'm making the statements I have based on canon evidence already presented to us in Eldest, I don't think I'm taking a huge leap.


__________________
I finally made it!

No worries. No spoilers here.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:22 pm
xhanax315's Avatar
xhanax315  Undisclosed.gif xhanax315 is offline
Mrs Gilbert Grape
 
Joined: 5214 days
Location: Surrounded by traitors...
Age: 29
Posts: 2,993
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2



__________________

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:26 pm
jordmundt6  Undisclosed.gif jordmundt6 is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 6034 days
Posts: 7,955
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Um, I'm sorry, how is THAT a productive post? I've seen a couple people do that, it's like *bump* on other boards. If you have an opinion, feel free to share it, we like to hear a variety a viewpoints around here. If you prefer lurking--go ahead and lurk, but this sort of seems like "lurking with attitude" and I'm not sure what sort of statement you're trying to make. That's why a full post makes more sense.


__________________
I finally made it!

No worries. No spoilers here.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:12 pm
Venom3384  Undisclosed.gif Venom3384 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4625 days
Posts: 283
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
They are the ultimate rationalists. I'm making the statements I have based on canon evidence already presented to us in Eldest, I don't think I'm taking a huge leap.
I mean, I think the leap is to say that they don't believe in an afterlife, because they never said that there is no afterlife. No gods...yeah...they've said that. but they never said there is no afterlife. They just don't dwell on it since they realize that they can't prove its existence.


Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:59 pm
Sybill7  Female.gif Sybill7 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5120 days
Location: Olympus
Posts: 3
Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

I agree, elves don't care much about after life, why should they? They are immortal, though it seems no elf has been quite immortal, they have all died in the end


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Bookmarks

Tags
eragon, inheritance trilogy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:45 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.