Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Old March 31st, 2007, 7:15 pm
Second Year

Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Yeah, I was surprised when I first read his confession, just as I totally spaced on the idea that Morzan's dragon must have been red. I just never considered it. It was right there, but I didn't put it together.

Venom--the problem we have is that most of the concentrated knowledge in the world of Alagaesia rests with the elves and the elves themselves are both practitioners of magic and scientific investigators (so they know scientific principles). As such, they have pretty much excluded faith from their belief system. If they are right, there IS no afterlife--there IS no closure for Brom or Selena. I think this might be their great blunder, but remember in most matters, the elves are remarkably keen and almost always accurate in their deductions and theories (the Surdan king demonstrated this with his silly but entertaining hobbies). I think the fact that there IS a Vault of Souls would suggest that there is an afterlife and that, therefore, there must be more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of in the elven philosophy, but that is unconfirmed.
Yeah, you're definitely right in that case. But, when the elves talk about it, they don't say that they proved there isn't an afterlife, they just don't like dealing with stuff that they can't prove, like an afterlife. So there could be one...

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2007, 5:22 pm
Curse Breaker

I agree that there is one, but they're very confident that one does not exist. They think this life is all there is and that only a void awaits them when they die. Arya talks about it, Oromis talks about it (principally when he's disproving the "coral is living stone" Dwarf postulation), Vanir has even said that the reason he was so hard on Eragon to begin with is "I thought you had consigned my race to the void." They don't talk about it, but they're very sure of themselves.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old April 1st, 2007, 7:09 pm
Sixth Year

Maybe the elves know an after life is there, they just don't know what it is and that maybe why they call it the void.

Old April 1st, 2007, 7:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I agree that there is one, but they're very confident that one does not exist. They think this life is all there is and that only a void awaits them when they die. Arya talks about it, Oromis talks about it (principally when he's disproving the "coral is living stone" Dwarf postulation), Vanir has even said that the reason he was so hard on Eragon to begin with is "I thought you had consigned my race to the void." They don't talk about it, but they're very sure of themselves.
See, I always thought they called it the void because it's where they have no knowledge, a blank void in all their learning through the millennia. But, regardless, it doesn't really matter unless someone comes back from the dead, Eragon communicates with the dead, or we see Eragon die and we stay with him (in a narrative sense).

Old April 2nd, 2007, 6:30 am
Curse Breaker

Well, it WILL matter if Eragon is to follow Solembum's advice. It isn't just that the elves call it the void because they have been unable to learn of it, they don't believe in the existence of gods or in the existence of an afterlife and are, in fact, disdainful of both concepts (which is why Arya gets into such heated arguments with the dwarves on the subject of religion).

Old April 2nd, 2007, 7:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The elves are a bit similar to me in their religious views actually. I’m not sure it is so much that they are disdainful of the idea, but that they are uncomfortable with the idea of anything they cannot prove. I think Arya’s interaction with Orik got so touchy because it is often a bit touchy to talk religion with someone who has totally different views than yourself.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:02 pm
Curse Breaker

They seem to believe that taking comfort in something you cannot see, here, feel, or directly understand is a crutch and unnecessary if you truly develop your mind.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Yes, but like Oromis said, if they were to be proven wrong they would accept it. There are certain aspects of the dwarves’ religion that they have proven wrong and yet the dwarves do not accept it. They do not truly believe in an afterlife because they have seen no proof, which I think is very understandable, but they do not deny that there is one, because they cannot prove something does not exist.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:07 pm
Curse Breaker

I accept that they're being reasonable, but the very nature of faith and the reason why it enriches life is that it requires you to believe in something you can't see or touch. Without it, your life experience is diminished.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I disagree, it is enriched, for you appreciate life for simply what it is.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:45 pm
Curse Breaker

You can appreciate life for what it is while having and expressing faith as well.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 2:40 am
Hogwarts Graduate

But faith is not something you can learn, or force upon yourself. You are born with it, or you are not. The elves’ mindset is simply different than most humans’.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:51 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
But faith is not something you can learn, or force upon yourself. You are born with it, or you are not. The elves’ mindset is simply different than most humans’.
Couldn't faith be described as something that does grow over time though too, I think elves only believe in things that they can see and that does make them different from most humans.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 4:03 am
Third Year

Elves are different from others because of their faith. I don't think that they only believe what they see, because that would be a lie. They learn from those in the past and from what happens around them, then they draw conclusions on who to put faith in.

I don't think anyone knows enough about the elves in this trilogy (except Christopher Paolini) to draw conclusions on their faith.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 5:06 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplova15165 View Post
Elves are different from others because of their faith. I don't think that they only believe what they see, because that would be a lie. They learn from those in the past and from what happens around them, then they draw conclusions on who to put faith in.

I don't think anyone knows enough about the elves in this trilogy (except Christopher Paolini) to draw conclusions on their faith.
I guess what I mean is that the elves put their faith on tangable (sp) evidence more than stuff they see.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:12 pm
Curse Breaker

They are the ultimate rationalists. I'm making the statements I have based on canon evidence already presented to us in Eldest, I don't think I'm taking a huge leap.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:22 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:26 pm
Curse Breaker

Um, I'm sorry, how is THAT a productive post? I've seen a couple people do that, it's like *bump* on other boards. If you have an opinion, feel free to share it, we like to hear a variety a viewpoints around here. If you prefer lurking--go ahead and lurk, but this sort of seems like "lurking with attitude" and I'm not sure what sort of statement you're trying to make. That's why a full post makes more sense.

Old April 7th, 2007, 7:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
They are the ultimate rationalists. I'm making the statements I have based on canon evidence already presented to us in Eldest, I don't think I'm taking a huge leap.
I mean, I think the leap is to say that they don't believe in an afterlife, because they never said that there is no afterlife. No gods...yeah...they've said that. but they never said there is no afterlife. They just don't dwell on it since they realize that they can't prove its existence.

Old April 7th, 2007, 7:59 pm
First Year

I agree, elves don't care much about after life, why should they? They are immortal, though it seems no elf has been quite immortal, they have all died in the end

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy