Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Old March 28th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom3384 View Post
Yeah, that's true. But I don't know why Eragon didn't figure it out on his own. I figured it out as soon as Brom talked to Saphira...it was really obvious.
I think some of the things that are really obvious to us are really not obvious to others. I didn't figure out that Brom was a Rider until he told us.

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2007, 9:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scd View Post
I think some of the things that are really obvious to us are really not obvious to others. I didn't figure out that Brom was a Rider until he told us.
Yeah, I suppose.

And I don't know about a millenium for Hrothgar's age because the fall of the Riders was only a 100 years ago and Galbatorix didn't defeat Rider's that were in a decline. The Riders were still very powerful/near (if not at) their apex when he defeated them. I think an easy 300 years could give him the age to witness all that.

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:12 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom3384 View Post
Yeah, I suppose.

And I don't know about a millenium for Hrothgar's age because the fall of the Riders was only a 100 years ago and Galbatorix didn't defeat Rider's that were in a decline. The Riders were still very powerful/near (if not at) their apex when he defeated them. I think an easy 300 years could give him the age to witness all that.
I agree with that age, I think he did say that he saw the riders at the hight of their power, does any one know how long the fall of the riders took?

Old March 29th, 2007, 12:13 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedgurltuja27 View Post
Does anyone know when the third book is expected to be released?
Random House recently did an article on Christopher /Trilogy and they said they expect the 3rd book out in 2008.

As far as who will be the next Dwarf King you would think it would be Orik. I don’t think his age would matter. Arya's only 100 which is young for her kind, but if her mother died she would become Queen regardless of her age. Even Eragon could be up for Dwarf King since he has been adopted by them, though I doubt he would be voted for, he certainly could be nominated.

Old March 29th, 2007, 12:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby_rocks View Post
Random House recently did an article on Christopher /Trilogy and they said they expect the 3rd book out in 2008.

As far as who will be the next Dwarf King you would think it would be Orik. I don’t think his age would matter. Arya's only 100 which is young for her kind, but if her mother died she would become Queen regardless of her age. Even Eragon could be up for Dwarf King since he has been adopted by them, though I doubt he would be voted for, he certainly could be nominated.
I think they'd hate it if Eragon was nominated, they may do something like how they addressed Eragon's eligibility to lead the Varden and say, yeah, it's possible, but it would cause to many problems.
I see the dwarf kingship going two ways, either it's Orik or someone who will remove the dwarf support from the Varden (like the guy who threw his ring at Eragon) and cause a lot of problems.

Old March 29th, 2007, 2:39 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Yeah, those are the only possibilities I can think of. There must be significance to killing off Hrothgar.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 29th, 2007, 4:01 am
Curse Breaker

He's a wise, ancient, beloved and powerful ruler. He's also a stabilizing force in the Dwarf nation. About the difference between Dwarf monarchy and Elf monarchy. The Elf monarchy is hereditary, so Arya is next in line by blood (though someone could be selected if she were killed). The Dwarf monarchy is Polish--that is, it's an elective Monarchy. There are what, 13 tribes and elders from all the tribes get together to nominate a new king.

About Hrothgar's age--He was old enough to see men first arrive in Alagaesia, that's what, 500 years, minimum? Plus, didn't he say he saw the riders come to power flourish and then destroy themselves?

ETA--The release date for Book 3 has been changed to a projection for sometime in 2008. I guess we can stop waiting on pins and needles.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; March 29th, 2007 at 9:10 pm.
Old March 29th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Sixth Year

I'm sort of bummed that we have to wait that long for the next book.

Old March 29th, 2007, 10:04 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, remember with Eldest they had the release date announced and then bumped it back an entire year. At least we aren't THAT wound up again.

Old March 29th, 2007, 10:14 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The longer it takes the better it will be. We don’t want to rush CP and have a book half as good as it could have been! Besides, won’t the world be empty enough with Harry Potter over? Why does Inheritance have to end, too?

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 30th, 2007, 6:54 am
Second Year

All good things come to an end. Something new will come along...maybe CP will write something new.

Old March 30th, 2007, 1:36 pm
Third Year

I am, as you, a fan of the Eragon trilogy (I even have a website of it xD www.eragonmexico.com, in Spanish).

As I'm not sure to what the disscussion involves now, I'll just start saying that Brom is my favorite character, and shouldn't have died

Old March 30th, 2007, 1:47 pm
First Year

i agree Brom shouldn't have died

Old March 30th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Curse Breaker

Brom's death, while tragic, was necessary to the plot and to Eragon's character development. He had to learn to rely on himself and on Saphira and not to lean on anyone as a crutch, which he would have done had Brom survived. It's also worth noting that his alliance with Nassuada might not have happened if Brom had survived the siege at Farthen Dur.

But isn't he planning another series set elsewhere in the world Alagaesia's continent occupies? It's not like JKR where the Potterverse is shutting down after the publication of Deathly Hallows.

Old March 30th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Second Year

Brom's death was prolly the best thing to happen to him after so much tension,sorrow and worry in his life.

Old March 30th, 2007, 4:37 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm afraid I don't understand THAT comment. Brom's death made him even sadder and lonelier and made the future that much more uncertain. It didn't relieve the tension or the sadness, it added to it. Still, it was necessary and well-done.

Old March 30th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand THAT comment. Brom's death made him even sadder and lonelier and made the future that much more uncertain. It didn't relieve the tension or the sadness, it added to it. Still, it was necessary and well-done.
I think he was talking about Brom's death relieved Brom's lonliness and tension...I think, perhaps, in the sense that there is an afterlife and Brom is reunited with his loves: Saphira and Selena...

And as for your earlier comment, I agree completely. Brom had to go.

Old March 30th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Third Year

Yeah, he had to. The archetype is that the hero must complete his journey alone. Just as Harry...

Old March 30th, 2007, 7:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scd View Post
I disagree with this statement, because Brom always seemed so strange, knowing so much about the riders and all, that I just assumed from the beginning that he was a rider. That was why it was not a surprise to me when we found out about him. I just thought to myself, "could it have been anymore obvious?" But that is just me. I think i am a little too observant for my own good.

Old March 30th, 2007, 8:46 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantafirebolt7 View Post
I disagree with this statement, because Brom always seemed so strange, knowing so much about the riders and all, that I just assumed from the beginning that he was a rider. That was why it was not a surprise to me when we found out about him. I just thought to myself, "could it have been anymore obvious?" But that is just me. I think i am a little too observant for my own good.
It was obvious but some people won't notice this until after the fact, like I did, and I'm going off of my personal experience of that I didn't pick up on all of the hints that Brom was a Rider the first time I read Eragon.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy