Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

His Dark Materials

Old July 21st, 2009, 4:33 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: His Dark Materials

but I think the ending is what makes it so perfect. It shows how they both grew up and it shows how they had to make the sacrifice for the greater good. I wouldn't have done it any other way

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 1:32 am
First Year

I love the His Dark Materials series. They are some of my favorite books. The story is so good, very well written and I think the books are just amazing. The ending is very sad, but I still liked it. Not everything can have a perfect, happy ever after ending and I really like that this book series wasn't like that.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 4:25 pm
Sixth Year

That's very true on both points. However, I think it would've been cool if they'd reunited.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 4:50 pm
First Year

Ahh, wonderful, a HDM thread!

This is definitely one of my favourite book series by far. Very close to my love of the Harry Potter series, even. The characters, for the most part, are very rich and most of them are lovable, particularly Lyra and Will.

I have a hard time reading the books again, however, simply because the ending was so sad--I cried when I read it, I have to admit. I have every intention, however, to write a fanfiction where they reunite for good--if only for my own piece of mind. ^^;;

Overall, though, I was very intrigued by the world of HDM. I just wish Lyra and Will didn't separate like that, though the reasoning behind it I can sort of understand.

GRYFFINDOR
Old July 23rd, 2009, 3:35 pm
Sixth Year

Yes, I loved the fantasy aspect of the series, which most people don't seem to understand. I think people just have it in their minds that it's an anti-religion series when there are really a lot of religious themes within the book such as Mary Malone having to be the snake to tempt Lyra and Will.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 4:57 am
Second Year

I really liked Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon A Time In The North, but I really can't wait for Will's short book to come out.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 3:01 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Yes, I loved the fantasy aspect of the series, which most people don't seem to understand. I think people just have it in their minds that it's an anti-religion series when there are really a lot of religious themes within the book such as Mary Malone having to be the snake to tempt Lyra and Will.
I think its great with or without the fantasy. Even if I wouldn't have read it wthout the fantasy. But its a story about growing up and how tough it can be but also the good things about it, like love. And its about how a strong will and passion and courage can do amazinng things. Theres so great lessons wrapped into the story that people don't see because its "against God".

By the way isnt it ironic that its supposedly against God but dust is angels and is a good thing?

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 3rd, 2009, 1:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I think its great with or without the fantasy. Even if I wouldn't have read it wthout the fantasy. But its a story about growing up and how tough it can be but also the good things about it, like love. And its about how a strong will and passion and courage can do amazinng things. Theres so great lessons wrapped into the story that people don't see because its "against God".

By the way isnt it ironic that its supposedly against God but dust is angels and is a good thing?
It is ironic. For a story that is supposed to be against God it really does have a lot of religious themes in it. But, when I read the series I didn't really see anything that was anti-God like I've heard people say it is.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 2:26 am
Secret Keeper

well, the entire story about God and religion being a lie, like how people go to a dreary afterlife no matter what, it's basically about killing God. The Magesterium which is basically the Church is evil, i believe it was a priest that did something bad in Amber Spyglass while Will and Lyra were with the malefas (sorry, i haven't read the books in awhile). Other than thatthe cutting the daemon away is very similar to something the Church once did to boys to keep their singing voices. Also, God isn't even God, he's only the first angel. Well, you get the point.

My Deviantart Account

Old August 9th, 2009, 3:57 pm
Sixth Year

Yes, but there are religious themes in it that make it seem like it isn't anti-God. I don't know, but that's how I look at it, though I do share some of the views.

Old August 9th, 2009, 4:00 pm
Secret Keeper

I agree, but I do see why some people would think ti's anti God

My Deviantart Account

Old August 9th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Sixth Year

So do I. I think it all depends on what people see in it. I sort of think of it as a what if scenario as in what if God was evil instead of good?

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:19 pm
First Year

Re: His Dark Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachblossom View Post
I know exactly what you mean. the same thing happens to me whenever I try to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I love the book, but for some reason I can't get through it.
I have tried and tried but I cant seem to get past chapter 5

Old June 29th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Sixth Year

Just keep trying. You'll get there. The books are very well-written though. I love them.

Old December 27th, 2012, 11:27 pm
First Year

I always loved His Dark Materials. It's a very well-written series, with developed characters. I liked the ending, but it was sad, too, in a way.

13" Holly, Dragon heartstring, unbending
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was published in 1997. This is the year that the Battle of Hogwarts took place.
I open at the close.
Old December 28th, 2012, 3:04 am
Seventh Year

It's been years since I've read the series but I remember generally having a good impression of it. What I didn't like about it, as far as I remember, was that the fate of the world rested on whether a preteen fell in love or something which is totally far fetched to me.

I do remember the part where Lyra and her daemon were separated which was devastating to me and it's the part I think I remember most vividly. It a series I've contemplated rereading but I just bought four books and was gifted three others for Christmas so it'll have to wait...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy