Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Farseer Trilogy and other books by Robin Hobb

Old April 6th, 2011, 1:02 pm
Malum Veneficus

The Farseer Trilogy and other books by Robin Hobb

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, follows the life of an illegitmate son of a Prince of a kingdom called the Six Dutchies. The story is about wars that take place between the Kingdom and the 'Outislanders'; folk who raid the kingdom every summer, stealing, bewitching people and destroying what they cannot carry off with them. As the King and his son are occupied with the wars raging from outside, other power-hungry people from within make advantage of their occupation and try to steal every opportunity that would take them a step closer to the throne, regardless of how it would affect the Kingdom or its people.

The first book of the trilogy, Assassin's Apprentice is rather boring. Nothing much happens that is of real sigificance to the series as a whole. The second, Royal Assassin provides better insight into the characters, their intentions and their loyalties. The last, Assassin's Quest, is the book with the greatest share of adventure in the series, and is easily my most favourite.

So..any readers? If so how did you like it and who are your favourite characters?

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: The Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb

i tried to pick this one up and got maybe 100 pages in and couldnt focus on it. It came at the recommendation of a really good friend but sadly i put it down years ago and havent been able to pick it back up, although ive really been thinking about it lately seeing it sit lonely on the shelf. I may have to give this one another shot.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old April 6th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Malum Veneficus

Re: The Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb

I understand why you have been put off. The first book drags on a lot, and is quite boring. I wish the author had put more material (and effort) into it .

Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:48 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Re: The Farseer Trilogy and other books by Robin Hobb

I've edited the title to allow discussion of other books by Hobb in this thread

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:17 pm
First Year

I also remember the first book not really grabbing my attention. But my friend insisted that I continued and I 'm happy that I did. I've just finished the second book and I have the third, but wanted something different before continuing the saga.
Good to know the third most likely won't dissapoint then!

Despite the fact that Robin Hobb had trouble ensnaring my intrest, I'm kind of fond of her writing style. She keeps a nice balance as of the second book and her characters are most interesting. Up untill now I haven't see anything overly epic or angsty, which always goes down quite badly with me.

I 'm very curious about the fool. So, I'm very much looking forward to the tawny man trilogy.
I just like enigmatic characters like that a lot, can't wait to find out more!

Just my two cents!

Old August 16th, 2011, 9:09 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syraiel
I've just finished the second book and I have the third, but wanted something different before continuing the saga.
Good to know the third most likely won't dissapoint then!
Yes, it's probably a good idea to take a break before starting the last book. It's interesting, but it definitely needs a lot of patience to get through (mainly because of how frustrating and desperate things become for the main character).

Quote:
I 'm very curious about the fool. So, I'm very much looking forward to the tawny man trilogy.
I just like enigmatic characters like that a lot, can't wait to find out more!
You're lucky, then, because there's so much about the Fool in Assassin's Quest.
I heard that series picks up from where the Farseer Trilogy has ended, but I haven't got much motivation to read that one yet, considering that Assassin's Quest was a pretty decesive ending to the trilogy. And from what I heard, it probably doesn't have any of my favourite characters in it (who mainly are Verity and Chade)

Old August 27th, 2011, 11:39 am
First Year

You're lucky, then, because there's so much about the Fool in Assassin's Quest.
I heard that series picks up from where the Farseer Trilogy has ended, but I haven't got much motivation to read that one yet, considering that Assassin's Quest was a pretty decesive ending to the trilogy. And from what I heard, it probably doesn't have any of my favourite characters in it (who mainly are Verity and Chade)[/quote]

The Tawny man series has a lot more of Chade, we get to see him as a man, not just Fitz's boss, so if you are want more Chade it is there. I loved both the Assassin series and the Tawny Man series and in my opinion the second is better.

If you are are frustrated at the end of the series, the next one resolves a lot of the issues between characters left at the end of Assassin's Quest. The Fool, Chade, Burrich all get expanded stories. Almost all the characters do. I don't want to give away spoilers, but if you are angry at Fitz's behavior, it is explained and he grows a lot during the next series.

Old August 28th, 2011, 10:24 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckbeakBrains
If you are are frustrated at the end of the series, the next one resolves a lot of the issues between characters left at the end of Assassin's Quest. The Fool, Chade, Burrich all get expanded stories. Almost all the characters do. I don't want to give away spoilers, but if you are angry at Fitz's behavior, it is explained and he grows a lot during the next series.
Yep, while I thought the ending was quite realistic, I also felt it was a bit frustrating. It felt a bit rushed for such a long and complicated story.

I assume Verity doesn't get an expanded story, does he? .

Anyways, I'm interested to know how Fitz's behaviour gets explained. I often felt he was a really gloomy and stubborn person. Despite what happens to him, I sometimes felt it was difficult to sympathise with him, because, in fact, he brought it all upon himself. There are some things that were beyond his control such as his birth and how it generated animosity between himself and others around him. But he has been warned against things like the Wit, yet he was too stubborn to try and accept the advice, and see how people around him genuinely cared about him. I admit, I might be a bit biased here, though. I always found the whole bonding thing a bit uncomfortable.

Old November 7th, 2011, 4:16 am
First Year

Sorry, university got in the way, it is probably too late to reply now. But anyway here goes..

Fitz is flawed, and he was a sullen teenager for a lot of the first series. I like that he is not the happy go lucky hero. He is also so loyal and sacrificing when it comes to his family I can't dislike him. I think it is better that he is responsible for most of his actions, rather than chance. He was made a lot of mistakes but in many ways the second series he fixes things with everyone.

No there is no Verity. but his son and wife are important characters. so his presence in the books is still strong. They talk about both Chivalry and Verity quite a bit as neither Fitz of Dutiful (the new Farseer heir) knew about their fathers.

True Fitz does some stupid things in this series too, but he does a lot more good, and you get to other sides to the Fool, Chade, Burrich that Fitz was too young and self absorbed to notice in the first trilogy. I like how it is written in character that way. He grows up a lot and to be fair, Fitz has had a really difficult life, not everyone gets abandoned by their parents to fend for themselves while facing frequent assassination.

Old December 4th, 2011, 2:05 pm
Second Year

I've just read the first two books of the Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb ("Ship of Magic" and "Mad Ship"), and I thought they were excellent. I would put them on a par with Anne McCaffrey's PERN novels. They took me about a week apiece to read, and I can hardly wait to get book number three, and the related series : "The Rain Wild River Chronicles". I did read one of the Farseer Trilogy some time ago, but didn't find it nearly as fascinating as the Liveship trilogy although it wasn't bad.

Old December 4th, 2011, 2:34 pm
Malum Veneficus

BuckbeakBrains, that sounds interesting, . I think I'm definitely going to try the Tawny man series, .

Old April 10th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
So..any readers? If so how did you like it and who are your favourite characters?
Yes, I have read these, as well as the Livetrader and Tawny Man Series. I think they are all excellent, though I do not reread them as often as I might because they make me sad.

My favorite character from all of them is Fitz.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy