Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The works of Neil Gaiman

Old July 1st, 2009, 7:10 pm
Third Year

Re: The works of Neil Gaiman

I might read the book again. In ten years, maybe then I have gotten over my fear. Who knows though.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2009, 7:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak of nature View Post
I might read the book again. In ten years, maybe then I have gotten over my fear. Who knows though.
I had this guy come up to me yesterday and ask me for a book recommendation, this is the one I pulled off the shelf for him, which reminded me that I need to re-read it. If he comes back and makes a comment I wont be able to do much beyond nod and go "uh huh, wasn't it good?"

Old July 19th, 2009, 12:18 pm
Third Year

I have also recommended this book for patrons. I work in the library so peple come to me sometimes and ask what they should read. And if they like fantasy kind of stuff, I am so going to recommend this book to them. I am glad that I am blessed with a good memory. Well it is filled with trivial things like book facts , instead of the useful stuff.
But now I am seriously concidering reading this book sooner than in ten years time.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old May 25th, 2010, 8:27 pm
Fourth Year

I've read some more Neil Gaiman now - some poems, American Gods, and The Sandman (plus a few hilarious blog posts), and I've not changed my opinion. Fantastic writer. I cannot imagine where he gets his ideas from, but he is very creative. I'm not sure if I can manage to resist starting on a new Gaiman book now I've finished American Gods, but we'll see. (Knowing myself, I'd say I'll probably break down. )

Also, not too long ago I saw a post on Twitter from Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself) telling about a project. It's now finished, and very interesting. It's from the Hypothetical Library, making a book cover for a book Gaiman says he would never write. The third and final part was posted yesterday. http://hypolib.typepad.com/the-hypot...il-gaiman.html

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 9:40 pm
First Year

I've only read American Gods. I've read a lot of books but if I can find a copy of it I wouldn't mind owning it. I finished it in a day and wished I had time to reread it but another book caught my eye. If any of you have some suggestions about his stuff that I should read I'll check it out.

Old September 30th, 2010, 5:09 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

It seems that Gaiman and Terry Prachett may be working on a new collaboration.

Neil Gaiman's Journal
Terry Pratchett and I met for Sushi in Cardiff the following evening, for Mysterious Reasons That We Are Not Announcing Yet. This is a photograph of us toasting Something Unexplained with champagne.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2010/0...-pictures.html

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 3rd, 2010, 8:01 pm
Fourth Year

I haven't read Good Omens yet, but Gaiman and Pratchett are two of my favourite authors so I'm very interested in seeing what this will be.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:44 am
MODLY CREW

Good Omens is one of my all-time favourite novels. I love it to bits.

The two Gaiman novels I adore are The Graveyard Book and Neverwhere. For some reason is could never get through American Gods and Anansi Boys, even though I tried several times.

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:02 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Good Omens fast became a favourite of mine, too, and I've read and re-read The Graveyard Book oh so many times. I adore the rambling nature and multiple story lines of American Gods, but Anansi Boys never reached out and grabbed me. I still have to get around to reading Stardust.

Also, do you know if the original Neverwhere television series is worth watching? It looks slightly dodgy.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old February 8th, 2011, 1:34 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
Good Omens fast became a favourite of mine, too, and I've read and re-read The Graveyard Book oh so many times. I adore the rambling nature and multiple story lines of American Gods, but Anansi Boys never reached out and grabbed me. I still have to get around to reading Stardust.

Also, do you know if the original Neverwhere television series is worth watching? It looks slightly dodgy.
It is slightly dodgy. I watched episode one a good while back.

Old February 9th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
It is slightly dodgy. I watched episode one a good while back.
That's all I needed to hear.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old August 29th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Second Year

I was going to make a Neil Gaiman thread but I see that we already have one. Excellent

One of my all-time favourite authors. I would just love to borrow his brain for a day, you've got to wonder what goes on in there

I still remember reading my first ever Gaiman book. I was in high school at the time and happened across Neverwhere in the school library. I missed my afternoon's classes because I had to finish it

Since then I've read Stardust, American Gods, Anansi Boys. I own both the book and movie of Coraline. American Gods will never get old, it gets better everytime I read it. I noticed some people saying that they didn't like Anansi Boys, but I loved it! I couldn't put it down. I love his belnd of fantasy and real life and the humour he throws in is so original. I also thought the movie version of Stardust was rather well done. I'd love to see an Anansi Boys movie, but I'm not sure whether AG would translate well into film.

Also, he's quire a frequent blogger, and his blogs are great to read. He also posts a lot of pictures of his dogs. His dogs are uber-cute!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy