Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Other Fantasy Series you recommend/recommend people avoid?

Old October 29th, 2010, 4:08 pm
Second Year

Re: Other Fantasy Series you recommend/recommend people avoid?

I agree on the Septimus Heap Series by Angie Sage - It's a good series but the first 300 pages of Magyk are pretty boring. The plot is nowhere near surprising (at least, not to me - the story builds and builds in the kind of way that you don't even expect something else than what happens in the plot) but I found it to be an easy and nice read.

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2010, 5:43 pm
First Year

I would recommend:

Robin Hobb. Her Farseer Trilogy is ridiculously good, it was the first series in a long time that I got emotional involved in. The characters are likeable, and she makes awesome villains. The Liveship Traders and Tawny Man Trilogy are also really good, but read the Farseer books first.

George R. R. Martin. A Song of Ice and Fire is awesome. It's complex, but not so much so it's distracting. His characters are fleshed out brilliantly, and whilst there are a lot of mature themes, they are a great read.

Eoin Colfer. Artemis Fowl series are kids books, but I'm 21 and still enjoy them. Likewise, the Supernaturalist is excellent.

Patrick Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind is a brilliant book-it's about magic, and school. It's really quite good. Another one with an excellent villain.

Garth Nix. I really enjoyed the Sabriel/Abhorsen/Lirael books.

Old November 5th, 2010, 9:11 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Recommended: A Song of Ice and Fire. Speaking of which, I need to start reading them again. *pokes self* The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher - of Dresden Files fame - is also very good. Oh, and The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, although I didn't care for the latter books in the trilogy nearly so much.

If you're looking for a well written historical fantasy series in which a modern woman travels back in time to Dark Age Britain, then I'd recommend avoiding The Ancient Future Trilogy by Tracey Harding. The main character is a Mary Sue of truly epic proportions who, among many other things, speaks fluent Brythonic (and especially loves using the words 'thee', 'thou', and 'thine'), is a Tae Kwon Do black belt, and successfully ensures women's rights in a matter of weeks. Not to mention the actual writing; descriptions such as 'dead carcass' are all too common.

And don't get me started on when:
Spoiler: show
She travels even further back in time to visit Atlantis... what? I couldn't. Stop. Reading.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old November 12th, 2010, 4:30 am
Zonko's Employee

I seriously want to recommend the Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazney. Well written, awesome fun characters, great setting and concept. 10/10!

Does sci-fi count? If so, if you can find them anywhere, you should read the Galactic Milieu Trilogy by Julian May (The individual titles are Jack the Bodiless, Diamond Mask, and Magnificat) Truly awesome. 9/10

My big no nos

Xanth Series by Piers Anthony-- The first three are good (not great) and of the rest only three (Vale of the Vole, Dragon on a Pedestal, and Ogre Ogre) are of any quality. That's what 6 books out of 27 novels or something like that?

Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter by Laurell K Hamilton. Again first three books are really good and the rest 4/10

Old November 15th, 2010, 1:11 pm
Member of the Order

I defintely don't recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. Not if you're looking for entertaining reading.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 15th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
I defintely don't recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. Not if you're looking for entertaining reading.
I love this series with a big BUT--someone earlier said that it can feel like you are being abused. I think this is especially true of the later novels. But the plot, the intrigue, the main characters are very well crafted. I think that Martin got to the point where he started writing the harshness and the abusiveness just for the sake of it instead of using it as a tool to make the characters evolve and grow.

I would give it a 6/10. The series is good but you have to know what you are getting into.

Old August 27th, 2011, 12:02 pm
First Year

George RR Martin's series is really political, serious, intriguing and complex, but definitely not PG and it can get uncomfortably violent. That epic kind of fantasy is really a matter of taste. I prefer something light like Edding's Belgariad, but I know many people that feel the exact oppposite.

Agree with Laurell K. Hamilton's books getting worse. She starts with what seems like a fun vampire destroying heroine, but after the the 3rd book, everything dissolves weird bodice ripping romance novels.

A few great non-sparkly vampire stories exist though. Robin McKinley's Sunshine is a great stand alone, for teen or adult readers. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes In the Forests of the Night is also good if you are tired of helpless females being held in thrall by male vamps. Neither one is a romance story.

Shout out to Nicole Luiken, a Canadian little known sci-fi author. Her book Violet Eyes started me in sci-fi. It is action packed, fast-paced fun. I could see it as a movie. But it's out of print sadly. Some old copies exist in libraries still.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy