Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Ranger's Apprentice Series By John Flanagan

Old January 28th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Registered Animagus

Ranger's Apprentice Series By John Flanagan

I just read the first book of this series, Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan. It's called The Ruins of Gorlan. I've been wanting to start this series for a while, and I saw the first one at the library.

I read it all in one day.

Ranger's Apprentice is about an orphan boy, Will, who grows up as a ward in the castle. On Choosing Day, he is chosen as the Ranger's Apprentice. The Ranger, Halt, is a bit of a quiet fellow, but he is a very good Ranger.

Has anyone else read these books? I want to read the second one, but it isn't at the library at the moment. There are a lot of books in this series apparently.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes medieval type things. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings, though nothing like the storyline.

Old January 28th, 2009, 8:04 pm
I want to believe

Re: Ranger's Apprentice Series By John Flanagan

I've read the first and second books, and I'm waiting til I have more time to start the third. Overall I like the storyline and the characters, especially Halt and Will. It's been a while since I read the second book, so I sort of forget where it leaves off, but I do remember liking it, since Will is actually a junior Ranger now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
There are a lot of books in this series apparently.
There's at least 5 that I know of, but there could be more.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:51 am
Curse Breaker

I think the number of Books in Australia is up to nine confirmed titles (the six original, the insert about Erak's captivity, and then two follow-ups). I've read through Book Five and was thrilled with the first four and okay with Book Five. I remember starting a thread about this series once, and then someone else did. To my knowledge, this is the third attempt at a thread on this series. It's entertaining, I hope this flight sticks around awhile.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old January 29th, 2009, 4:21 pm
Registered Animagus

I loved the end of book 1, where Alyss (I think I got her name right) kisses Will. I didn't expect it, but really loved it. I am an Alyss/Will shipper .

I hope to get these books from a bookstore, but for now I get them from the library. I am waiting for the second to come back from whoever is reading it now. The third and fourth are here, and I really want to read the second before I read the others

Old January 31st, 2009, 8:21 pm
Second Year

Last year my friend would say to me everyday, "You need to read Ranger's Apprentice!" Every.Single.Day. So over the summer I went to the library and found the first book. I loved it so much! Halt is my favorite so far! I just need to go back to library to get the second one...

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Old January 31st, 2009, 8:57 pm
Curse Breaker

Fury--I have some mediocre news for you. While Alyss plays an interesting secondary role in Book 2: The Burning Bridge, she and Will won't spend any significant time together again until Book 5: The Sorcerer of the North. I'm sad to say that Gilan will largely disappear after Book 2 as well. He'll show up later in the series, but none of his exploits have made it to the U.S. yet. Dratted publishers!

Old February 2nd, 2009, 6:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Fury--I have some mediocre news for you. While Alyss plays an interesting secondary role in Book 2: The Burning Bridge, she and Will won't spend any significant time together again until Book 5: The Sorcerer of the North. I'm sad to say that Gilan will largely disappear after Book 2 as well. He'll show up later in the series, but none of his exploits have made it to the U.S. yet. Dratted publishers!
Aww, well that sucks! I really do like the Will/Alyss relationship.

I tried looking for the books at one of the half-price book stores where I live, but they didn't have them

Old February 5th, 2009, 6:00 pm
Curse Breaker

There's another interesting female character who first appears in The Burning Bridge. She's smart and tough and pretty in her own way, but unlike Alyss's erudition, diplomacy, and understated elegance, the new girl is more overtly spunky. You'll get a chance to see Alyss on her first diplomatic mission in The Burning Bridge as well--Halt serves as her bodyguard. Also, Horace's status as a "natural" swordsman and his frienship with Will begin to bear more fruit. It's truly enjoyable.

Old April 29th, 2009, 9:14 am
Sixth Year

I have about seven of the eight published books (a ninth is coming out later this year, I believe). My favourite would have to be Oakleaf Bearers, just because I love the descriptions of all the other nations and types of warriors/fighting styles. One thing I didn't like, however, was the change in Halt's character from the first novel to the next couple... at first Halt very reluctant to show emotion, then by the end of the second novel he seems to have turned into a bit of a softie because of Will... I don't understand how a man so set in his ways could change so suddenly. I really preferred the rough, gruff Halt to the father-figure Halt...

I basically lost interest once I started the fifth book, because I don't like Alyss and it seems as though she has quite a role to play in this novel (I often have problems with female support characters). I like Evanlyn a great deal more than her.

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."

Last edited by AmeliaPotter; April 29th, 2009 at 9:17 am.
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:15 pm
Curse Breaker

I really think you're wrong about Halt changing in the second and third books. The Oakleaf Bearers which was renamed The Battle for Skandia (so as not to confuse the Americans) is the best for the multinational description and the epic scale. I thik the reason why it might have seemed like there was a change was because in The Burning Bridge and later we got some of the action from Halt's point of view and that humanized him considerably. It didn't change him, it just expanded what we knew about him and the way he thought.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:33 pm
Third Year

Ranger's Apprentice series

The Ranger's Apprentice series is by Johnathan Stroud and theres nine books in the series so far. I've read to the sixth one and they really are amazing. The characters are original though the plotlines move kind of fast as the books are short. But the adventure, action, and mystery in them really kept me addicted.
The series doesn't have magic in it so its more of just fiction, not fantasy, and I started to wonder if they are based on a time period in history and in a real country as theres a few references to a time period a little before the medieval age.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:59 pm
Third Year

Re: Ranger's Apprentice series

I love these Just another book series I kept seeing everywhere and decided to read. My library only has the first 6, though.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:40 pm
I want to believe

Re: Ranger's Apprentice series

Interesting...I've read part of a series called The Ranger's Apprentice, but this one's by John Flanagan (in fact, there's a thread about it here). Are these the same books, I wonder?

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 14th, 2010, 4:14 am
Curse Breaker

I like both Evanlyn and Alyss, though I like Evanlyn more for Will since we've seen that there's a large chunk of his heart that she will always own because she helped get him out of working the paddles in Skandia and nursed him back from his warmweed addiction. I think it's almost unfair to Alyss to have Will as her partner when he can't ever fully commit to her. I keep hoping for a May-December romance between Alyss and Crowley to bloom.

I seem to be in the very TINY minority though. Both Alyss and Cassandra are strong, intelligent, independent and beautiful women. Under normal circumstances, they'd probably like one another a lot, but their competition for Will's heart has created a rift that's half jealousy and half plain rivalry. I don't want Cassandra to end up alone on the throne like Queen Elizabeth--and I detest the idea of Horace as her consort. Horace is a smart guy, a wonderful friend and a fearsome warrior, but in spite of all his positive qualities, I don't think he could ever fully engage Cassandra or serve with the humor, mystery, or majesty of the adopted son of the Clonmel Chameleon (Halt).

Old September 19th, 2010, 5:46 pm
First Year

I've read all the books that are currently out in the USA. I love them but I'm tired of waiting for new ones to come out. Will happens to be my favorite character although Halt is a close second. I've read up to "The King of Clonmel" my spelling might be a bit off. That the lastest book to have come out in the US.

Old September 19th, 2010, 6:48 pm
Third Year

I really like these I just checked out Erak's Ransom (After reading the one after it).

To me, Alyss seems extraordinarily stuck up, but I guess that's part of her job. Even Cassandra seems to act that way sometimes. I don't want Will to be with either of them.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:15 pm
Curse Breaker

I actually think Cassandra is more fun than Alyss and a better match for Will (and Will is certainly the best match for her who has presented himself). I don't want Cassandra ending up forced to play the Queen Elizabeth I game. Halt's Peril is supposed to come out in the U.S. on October 5th (two weeks from tomorrow).

Old June 14th, 2011, 1:47 am
First Year

Rangers Apprentice

I am currently on book 8 of the series. Has anyone else read it. It is really well written it has action,romance and everything. I really am enjoying it.

Old August 19th, 2011, 1:35 am
Curse Breaker

I really enjoyed this series--all the way to Jind'Hazen. I still have questions, of course, but I like how things turned out--with one notable exception.

Of the Redmont Ward class of the first Morgarath rebellion, I only like one of the three marriages. George is single as of Book 10, and I expect him to stay that way.

The only match I like is Jen Dalby with Gilan. She accepts his Ranger responsibilities, is secure in their love and her own career.
Spoiler: show
I don't like either Will's marriage to Alyss Manwaring or Horace Altman's match with Cassandra/Evanlynn. This strikes me as a Camelot implosion nightmare. I think the first couple of books were meant to set us up for a match between Will & Alyss, and I might feel differently about that match in spite of the spark between Will and Evanlynn if Flannagan hadn't jumped up and down highlighting the Skandian experience as pivotal for Will and that Evanlynn nursing him back to health and showing courage protecting him had won her preeminence in his heart that would never change. Absent that, it's a fairly smooth ride from friendship to kiss, to uneasy courtship, to spectacular love declaration (in the context of a battle) to historically bad marriage proposal. WITH that key scene there, it undermines the value of the Alyss relationship and sets up Lancelot/Guinevere problems that are exacerbated by the facts of the spectacular mismatch between Evanlynn and Horace. Additionally, Araulen's security would be compromised by discord between these four friends because Will and Horace basically combine to form one superior battlemaster. Separately, they're vulnerable. Together and in harmony, they are as gifted as Halt or Gilan's father David.)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy