Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Spiderwick Chronicles

Old February 6th, 2008, 2:04 am
First Year

Spiderwick Chronicles

So has anyone here read these books? I just read the first one today, I thought it was quite good, and want to see the movie.

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2008, 2:38 am
Second Year

Re: Spiderwick Chronicles

I liked them well enough, but to me they seemed like younger kids' books pretending to be older kids'/ books (which I think is what they're intended to be). I'll probably see the movie when it comes out on DVD, mostly just because I've read the books.

R.I.P. Severus Snape - Trustworthy to the end

Proud member of OFINOA!!!
Old February 7th, 2008, 1:36 am
Third Year

I read them... they were pretty great! But I feel like people who like them are more of a younger audience. My little sister read them in the 4th grade, when they just released. Now it's becoming a largely advertised movie, and that's probably why people are going to see it. The books are becoming more popular as well. I just bought all five of them to read them just so I could see the movie. Pretty sad, right? Well, that's just me. I love to read.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old February 11th, 2008, 6:44 am
First Year

There is also a three-book series called Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles that is in the same world but in a different location with different characters. The first book in this series is The Nixie's Song.

Old February 13th, 2008, 12:09 am
Defender of Dogs

I tried reading these books once, when I was quite a bit younger. They were very short, and I didn't really like them. I felt that they were almost a knock-off of the HP series. While fantasy is one of my favorite genres, if not my favorite, I found these books rather dull.

Old February 14th, 2008, 4:03 am
First Year

If anyone would like to help, I requested a Spiderwick Chronicles wiki and it has been approved, so if anyone would like to help me get it going here is the link: http://spiderwick.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Old February 19th, 2008, 11:24 pm
First Year

I read the first one. Thought it was OK.

Old March 13th, 2008, 9:15 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
I tried reading these books once, when I was quite a bit younger. They were very short, and I didn't really like them. I felt that they were almost a knock-off of the HP series. While fantasy is one of my favorite genres, if not my favorite, I found these books rather dull.

Um, your opinion of them is what it may be, but they are a far cry from Harry Potter knock-offs. No wizards. It's all about Fey. The only thing they have in common are the fantasy genre, young target audience, and the presence of faeries in some form.

I thought they were okay. Not great, but not bad either. I thought the portrayal of fey was good.

Old March 25th, 2008, 9:49 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
I tried reading these books once, when I was quite a bit younger. They were very short, and I didn't really like them.
Me too. I read one once, and it didn't interest me very much. And it was so short! Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think it was all that great.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 5:32 pm
Banned

I read the series a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I don't remember much from it though.

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:52 pm
Third Year

I read the books a couple of years ago - I really liked them! I don't remember much though (:

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy