Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella > Novella Feedback

Feedback - Sasamara

Old September 23rd, 2009, 4:41 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Feedback - Sasamara

Constructive feedback of any kind welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2010, 2:50 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Re: Feedback - Sasamara

I'm incredibly intrigued as to what direction your characters and plotline will take.

I'm curious to see why certain things come unbidden with perfect clarity, while other techniques she needs to rack her mind for. If it's a case of familiarity in regard to mindset and actions from her 'other life'.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 1:55 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Feedback - Sasamara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
I'm incredibly intrigued as to what direction your characters and plotline will take.
Thank you!

Quote:
I'm curious to see why certain things come unbidden with perfect clarity, while other techniques she needs to rack her mind for. If it's a case of familiarity in regard to mindset and actions from her 'other life'.
I'd love to say there's a coherent, well-thought-out reason for that, but tbh it is more of a case of lazy plotting than anything else.

I initially wanted Liz to be completely unaware of how to use magic and really keep the audience guessing as to whether she really was Sasamara Karam or not, but I rapidly realised that that would be too difficult. She had to be able to understand and speak the language, at the very least, and she had to have some awareness of magic for the story to move forward. I do sense I've given her a little too much awareness, though.

I think it's more a case of muscle memory than anything else. She has little conscious awareness of having been here before and when she tries to think through intellectually how to do something, her mind's a blank. But when she just tries to do it without thinking (particularly when desperate circumstances mean it's really important that she does it), it's as if her tongue and body just know what to do, without instruction from her brain.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella > Novella Feedback